We have moved to www.dartsnutz.net
Darts Nutz forum has now moved to www.dartsnutz.net please register on that site instead.

Thanks!

Darts Nutz forum has now moved to www.dartsnutz.net please register on that site instead.

Thanks!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Re-register a new account there please

HomeLatest imagesWeight of the dart LPRegisterLog in

Photobucket

map1
Display Pagerank

Weight of the dart

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Ivefoundgod

Ivefoundgod

Weight of the dart Empty
PostSubject: Weight of the dart   Weight of the dart EmptyThu Jan 26, 2012 3:07 am

Hey everyone. Just wondering what everybodies opinions are regarding the weight of a dart. I'm playing for over a year but only took it seriously since September when I joined a team. I started out using 21g and then moved to 22g. I'm now using 20g darts.

The problem I have is that i can often play very well with the 20g darts , however when I'm playing poorly I start throwing 7s, 26, 15 etc and the dart seems to land at odd angles. I've heard before that heavier darts are more forgiving so I'm wondering if I switched to a heavier dart, say 25g, would I get any more consistent or are the problems rooted in technique rather than the dart weight? I've experimented with different weights in the past for short periods but noticed little difference, granted an hour probably isn't long enough.

I'd prefer to stick with the 20g as I really like the grip but my inconsistency is getting frustrating. Thanks in advance lads!
Back to top Go down
USMC80

USMC80

Weight of the dart Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weight of the dart   Weight of the dart EmptyThu Jan 26, 2012 3:14 am

I used too throw 21 or 22 gram and my consistency was garbage. Switched up to 25 and 26 and have been much better. I can't however say it was all about going up in weight as i have been practicing hard which i never did with the lighter darts
Back to top Go down
Hazza

Hazza

Weight of the dart Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weight of the dart   Weight of the dart EmptyThu Jan 26, 2012 3:17 am

I use 24g, I've tried a lot of darts and this weight seems to suit me, the least deviation and best consistency for me.
Back to top Go down
Hatrick

Hatrick

Weight of the dart Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weight of the dart   Weight of the dart EmptyThu Jan 26, 2012 3:24 am

If a heavier dart alone would be more forgiving wouldn't everyone be throwing heavy darts? It's not in the weight of your darts buddy.. Find a weight that you are comfortable with and just practice. If you are already practicing and not seeing a difference right off it doesnt mean its not working. The results you see from practice wont make you hit higher numbers I'm willing to bet that you already can. What practice does more than anything is make those 26's 41's 45's a lot less frequent, and maybe you might just need to look at your practice routine and change a few things. The best advice I've gotten was that if your getting upset or throwing like absolute crap "stop" for a while take a break for an hour or so then go back and try again. It does you no help physically or mentally if your getting mad. Hopefully this will help a little bit.Happy Darting!! Very Happy

Hatrick
Back to top Go down
mc1958

mc1958

Weight of the dart Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weight of the dart   Weight of the dart EmptyThu Jan 26, 2012 3:28 am

Sounds to me like it's the technique as well - maybe you are moving your shoulder slightly in the throw or possibly not following through enough after release.
Back to top Go down
getagrip

getagrip

Weight of the dart Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weight of the dart   Weight of the dart EmptyThu Jan 26, 2012 3:50 am

I think your throw itself may be the dictator of the weight used. Most gentle throwers use a heavier dart and people who throw hard and fast tend to use lighter, but its not always the case.

I use a 24g dart usually, and have a very soft throw so I'm thinking of trying a heavier dart.

Last edited by getagrip on Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dazdart
Ivefoundgod

Ivefoundgod

Weight of the dart Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weight of the dart   Weight of the dart EmptyThu Jan 26, 2012 4:07 am

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm curious to know how I can get more consistent. My average has been stuck at around 50 for a month+ now where before I was improving each week. It seems like I've hit a wall and consistency is my main issue. I've thrown my highest ever averages for a leg, 17 and 18 darts each and been hitting 20-30 dart legs often enough. What's annoying me is I go from a 22 dart leg to 35-40 leg one after the other.

Other times I've gotten into a rhythym and hit consistent 20-30 dart legs, but this lasts for 3 legs max then it's back to inconsistency. I generally practice for 1 hour then stop because I begin to lose concentration and my shoulder gets stiff.

I plan on sticking with my Nicholsons for as long as possible because I've played my best with them. As I said, I used 20, 21 and 22g darts in the past and noticed little difference. Was just curious if I switched to 24g or 25g for a sustained perioud would anything change. I should probably just stop experimenting, can't help it though as I still think I haven't found my perfect dart Sad

Thanks again lads!
Back to top Go down
getagrip

getagrip

Weight of the dart Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weight of the dart   Weight of the dart EmptyThu Jan 26, 2012 4:12 am

yeah I know that feeling for searching for the perfect darts, I must have had nearly a 1000 sets in 5 years, and I conclude that it does not exist, but I still keep buying more.

Have you joined Georges Flight School? www.howtodarts.com
Back to top Go down
Hatrick

Hatrick

Weight of the dart Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weight of the dart   Weight of the dart EmptyThu Jan 26, 2012 4:51 am

Georges flight school is an "excellent" tool to help set up practice routines. Don't get discouraged everybody hits a wall for a while you will eventually break through it!! Your practice should never include playing games against yourself. set small goals achieve them then set a little higher one and so on..

Hatrick
Back to top Go down
CanadianBacon

CanadianBacon

Weight of the dart Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weight of the dart   Weight of the dart EmptyThu Jan 26, 2012 2:55 pm

i started off playing with a 24g and now use a 23g lol. sorry to say i cant be of much help. have thrown a few different sets from mate's of mine but i personally cant feel much of a difference in white between one and another. i do however pay a lot more attention to grip patterns.
Back to top Go down
McInnis180

McInnis180

Weight of the dart Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weight of the dart   Weight of the dart EmptySat Jan 28, 2012 2:09 pm

I started with 24g when I first started......than bought a set of 28g because I liked the dart.....lol played in an all day tourney and could not hit the 20...my arm was tired from the heavy dart! I use a 26g, and like the weight....like grip said, I throw soft as well and just let the dart go easy, and that works for me!!! But I still find the dart heavy...I might go back to 24g or 22g this summer!!! But Stick with the 20g and make sure you like the dart you are using.....don't change half way through the season, not good...lol.Most of the time it is in your head....technique and practice practice practice 1hr a day! And don't hold your dart too tight!!! Happy darting!! :cheers:
Back to top Go down
Saber

Saber

Weight of the dart Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weight of the dart   Weight of the dart EmptySun Jan 29, 2012 12:27 am

For beginners I recommend a heavier dart, they are more forgiving in the throw. As you develope a lighter dart may be in your future.
Back to top Go down
Ivefoundgod

Ivefoundgod

Weight of the dart Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weight of the dart   Weight of the dart EmptyTue Jan 31, 2012 4:15 am

My practice routine is now:
10 minutes warm up
Round the board doubles
5 mins each at 20s, 19s
Best of 9 n01 level 3

My aim is to start winning regularly against Level 3, I used to play against Level 2 but the number of missed doubles made it unrealistic and Level 3 is around the level of the league I'm in, maybe a little lower, depends on the player. I've lost 5-4 numerous times, can't seem to hit the winning double but i'll get there.

I've used my friends 28g darts and I just find them a chore to throw, takes too much effort to get them to the board for me and accuracy suffers. I find the lighter darts are effortless to throw. I'm going to stick with the 20g darts until the league is over and then do some experimenting before the next season starts next September, gives me plenty of time to try different weights.
Back to top Go down
Bovrilheid

Bovrilheid

Weight of the dart Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weight of the dart   Weight of the dart EmptyTue Jan 31, 2012 6:47 am

Ivefoundgod wrote:
My practice routine is now:
10 minutes warm up
Round the board doubles
5 mins each at 20s, 19s
Best of 9 n01 level 3

My aim is to start winning regularly against Level 3, I used to play against Level 2 but the number of missed doubles made it unrealistic and Level 3 is around the level of the league I'm in, maybe a little lower, depends on the player. I've lost 5-4 numerous times, can't seem to hit the winning double but i'll get there.

I've used my friends 28g darts and I just find them a chore to throw, takes too much effort to get them to the board for me and accuracy suffers. I find the lighter darts are effortless to throw. I'm going to stick with the 20g darts until the league is over and then do some experimenting before the next season starts next September, gives me plenty of time to try different weights.

Hey your warm up is similar to me. I play first to 10 in no1 level 8. I play with 25g darts.
Back to top Go down
Saber

Saber

Weight of the dart Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weight of the dart   Weight of the dart EmptyThu Mar 01, 2012 6:47 am

SilverSaber wrote:
For beginners I recommend a heavier dart, they are more forgiving in the throw. As you develope a lighter dart may be in your future.

I have switched to 26gm Sabers
Back to top Go down
CanadianBacon

CanadianBacon

Weight of the dart Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weight of the dart   Weight of the dart EmptyThu Mar 01, 2012 8:08 am

i have a set of 25g darts in the post right now. i'm already sick of waiting after two days Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
Saber

Saber

Weight of the dart Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weight of the dart   Weight of the dart EmptyThu Mar 01, 2012 8:44 am

CanadianBacon wrote:
i have a set of 25g darts in the post right now. i'm already sick of waiting after two days Evil or Very Mad
what ya waiting on CB?
Back to top Go down
Saber

Saber

Weight of the dart Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weight of the dart   Weight of the dart EmptyThu Mar 01, 2012 8:47 am

McInnis180 wrote:
I started with 24g when I first started......than bought a set of 28g because I liked the dart.....lol played in an all day tourney and could not hit the 20...my arm was tired from the heavy dart! I use a 26g, and like the weight....like grip said, I throw soft as well and just let the dart go easy, and that works for me!!! But I still find the dart heavy...I might go back to 24g or 22g this summer!!! But Stick with the 20g and make sure you like the dart you are using.....don't change half way through the season, not good...lol.Most of the time it is in your head....technique and practice practice practice 1hr a day! And don't hold your dart too tight!!! Happy darting!! :cheers:

What really makes ya post good me friend is the mention of don't hold that dart too tight. That is a great tip for everyone.
Back to top Go down
Ivefoundgod

Ivefoundgod

Weight of the dart Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weight of the dart   Weight of the dart EmptyFri Mar 02, 2012 4:51 am

League is finished so I'm using 24g Beatons at the moment. They are lovely dart and do seem to fly a bit straighter, not sure if there is much difference in my standard compared to the Nicholsons but i'm giving them a couple of weeks before any more experimenting. The thing i find is that after a couple of days with any dart, I get to a similar level as before. Saying that, I've played my best darts with the Nicholsons, just would love to get some consistency.
Back to top Go down
getagrip

getagrip

Weight of the dart Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weight of the dart   Weight of the dart EmptyFri Mar 02, 2012 5:10 am

Ivefoundgod wrote:
League is finished so I'm using 24g Beatons at the moment. They are lovely dart and do seem to fly a bit straighter, not sure if there is much difference in my standard compared to the Nicholsons but i'm giving them a couple of weeks before any more experimenting. The thing i find is that after a couple of days with any dart, I get to a similar level as before. Saying that, I've played my best darts with the Nicholsons, just would love to get some consistency.

Sounds to me like you should stick with the Nico's mate!
Back to top Go down
Lefty544

Lefty544

Weight of the dart Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weight of the dart   Weight of the dart EmptyFri Mar 02, 2012 5:56 am

SilverSaber wrote:
SilverSaber wrote:

I have switched to 26gm Sabers

Awesome darts love 'em
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Weight of the dart Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weight of the dart   Weight of the dart Empty

Back to top Go down

Weight of the dart

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1