We have moved to www.dartsnutz.net
Darts Nutz forum has now moved to www.dartsnutz.net please register on that site instead.

Thanks!

Darts Nutz forum has now moved to www.dartsnutz.net please register on that site instead.

Thanks!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Re-register a new account there please

HomeLatest imagesYour Dart Weight LPRegisterLog in

Photobucket

map1
Display Pagerank

Your Dart Weight

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage

Your Dart Weight Empty
PostSubject: Your Dart Weight   Your Dart Weight EmptySun Jul 29, 2012 9:40 am

Okay members, I've got one for ya.

Recently I bought a set of darts that I thought were going to be 16 grams. They are labeled 16 grams.

However, they are far, far off. With tip, flight, & shaft the total weight is 14.6 grams.

WAY off if you ask me.

Have any of you actually weighed your darts or do you rely on what the package says?

When you tell others you shoot with a 24 gram dart does that mean just the barrel or the entire thing??

I've seen this a lot in the world of darts. Not very accurate stories of what peoples darts really weigh.

I would compare it to this.... Let's say I perform a bench press with olympic weights. I have 4 45lb plates on each side with collars on.

Yet I tell people I can only bench press 180 pounds. The weight of the 4 45's.

What I fail to mention is the bar weighs 45 pounds and the collars probably weigh 5lbs.

So I'm really bench pressing 230 lbs.

Same for darts. Why tell me just a barrel weight? I want to know what the entire dart weighs. Flights, shafts, everything.

Maybe post up pics of what your dart really weighs.

Thoughts???

See look. 16 grams on the box
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Actual weight...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Rebel

Rebel

Your Dart Weight Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your Dart Weight   Your Dart Weight EmptySun Jul 29, 2012 9:58 am

I don't own digital scales and so I have to rely on what the package says.

I think these days, particularly Unicorn and Target do the matched weight within 0.1g - so the packaging will say for instance 23g, and the little card inside the packaging will then say for instance 23.1g, thats good enough for me.

I dont take into account the stem and flights, plus I change the points to storms that I guess willl weigh a little more than standards.

So I guess with everything taken into account my darts may weight between 24-25g all set up.

Back to top Go down

Your Dart Weight Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your Dart Weight   Your Dart Weight EmptySun Jul 29, 2012 10:15 am

But why Rebel? Why do you not take into account the rest of the dart?

That was kind of my question. When did that start?

Why leave out a couple grams? Or 66% of the equipment that is to weighed?

I can see why manufactures sell darts the way they do. To ensure you are buying

the barrel weight you want. But you add different products to the barrel.

That imo should be the weight a person uses. The individual is different then the

manufacture.

I have to go back to my original statement.

I can bench press 180. It's really 230, but I don't count the bar and collars.

Makes no sense.
Back to top Go down
Rebel

Rebel

Your Dart Weight Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your Dart Weight   Your Dart Weight EmptySun Jul 29, 2012 10:56 am

I know exactly what you are saying and I totally agree, I say I throw a 23g dart when in truth it probably weights more like 25-26g all in, however, and please do not take this the wrong way, it wouldn't matter if it was 23g, 16g or 40g, as long as it feels comfortable to throw, a nice grip, nice balance and nice weight, then I would be happy using that dart.
If I bought a set of darts that someone said were 23g and they felt good, nice balance, nice grip etc I wouldn't get rid of them if I happened to weigh them a few weeks later and found they were actually 25 or 26g.

I normally answer to people who ask how heavy my darts are, 'the barrels are 23g' as I see the barrels as the dart, the stem and flight are not actually the dart in my eyes, but rather accessories that can be changed and tinkered with unlike the barrel that will always remain 23g.

A good topic for discussion however Winmau and i am sure other members will have differing opinions on this subject Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Veni

Veni

Your Dart Weight Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your Dart Weight   Your Dart Weight EmptySun Jul 29, 2012 11:17 am

I can answer this one Winmau.

As an collector and both soft tip and steel tip dart player.

And when it comes to weight...

Steel tip darts are such that the weight specified are for the barrel only.

But when it comes to weight for soft tips, the weight specified are for barrel,point,stem and flights.

I dont really know why its so, but thats how it rolls Smile

And thats why your barrels weigh less then what the package specify Smile

Hope this helps.

Cheerio!
Back to top Go down
hamo

hamo

Your Dart Weight Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your Dart Weight   Your Dart Weight EmptySun Jul 29, 2012 11:54 am

I know a few on here do put the darts on scales as part of the reviews they do.I personally have never done this but I try not to change darts too often so never get the chance. when I say a weight its the barrel weight.

my last set were 24g (barrels only) and my chizzys are the same so it makes no difference. Doesn't matter to me because I use the same flight and stem set up all the time. So as long as it feels good I don't think about the weight.

I get where your coming from though, anyone know how much a set of medium deflectagrip stems, standard shape ruthless flights and lock ring weighs. My weigh would be 24g + whatever my setup is. That would give my actual dart weight rather than just barrels
Back to top Go down

Your Dart Weight Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your Dart Weight   Your Dart Weight EmptySun Jul 29, 2012 12:08 pm

Venigoor wrote:
I can answer this one Winmau.

As an collector and both soft tip and steel tip dart player.

And when it comes to weight...

Steel tip darts are such that the weight specified are for the barrel only.

But when it comes to weight for soft tips, the weight specified are for barrel,point,stem and flights.

I dont really know why its so, but thats how it rolls Smile

And thats why your barrels weigh less then what the package specify Smile

Hope this helps.

Cheerio!

Yes, I know about the difference between soft tip and steel tip as far as how they go about weighing them.

Even still, my dart weighs 14.6. Far off from the 16 gram stated on the package.

I've been to ONE tournament where they had a gram scale at the registration desk.

A few players were trying to get away with 20+ gram darts.

This was back in 2003 or 04 I think. The limit then was 18 grams.

Also I was wondering if anyone's dart is a bit off from what they thought it weighed.

Mine for example are from a pretty decent company, Harrows.

You would think they would be spot on accurate.

Also, I've weighed some different sets of mine in the past only to find out 1 of the darts was a bit heavier then the other 2.

Thanks for the input guys. Nice to see some different thoughts on the matter. Very Happy

Back to top Go down
USMC80

USMC80

Your Dart Weight Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your Dart Weight   Your Dart Weight EmptySun Jul 29, 2012 12:52 pm

Don't trust unicorns weight IMO. Target usually spot on and same with Winmau. As far as I know steel tip are usually just barrels only. But as rebel said doesn't really matter to me.
Back to top Go down
mc1958

mc1958

Your Dart Weight Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your Dart Weight   Your Dart Weight EmptySun Jul 29, 2012 5:46 pm

The reason for the weight in steel tip darts being for the barrel and point only is because they may be the only constants in setups between two people using the same darts as alluded to above.

One player may use an extra short stem with a flimsy pear flight that would only add say a gram to the overall weight, whereas play 2 may use a long stem with 150 micron standard shaped flights which would add another 2-3 grams to the overall weight. Same darts, different setups.

The only sets I've got that weren't the weights stated on the packaging are the Monster Ogres that I use. They are labelled as 22g which is my usual weight, and since I got them I hadn't used anything else. Bought myself a set of 24g Chris Mason darts for the collection and threw those and knew straight away there was more than the supposed 2g difference between the sets. Got out the scales and the Monsters are actually around the 20.5g mark - the 22g on the label is for the whole thing.

I would guess the reason the Monsters are labelled for the whole thing is because they are a Japanese dart. In Japan all they play is soft tip where you get your maximum weight limits for the whole setup so it would make sense in that market to label the weight as the whole setup so the players know whether it's within the limit without thinking about it too much. As they aren't really into the steel tip game over there they have just carried this on into their steel tip packaging.
Back to top Go down

Your Dart Weight Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your Dart Weight   Your Dart Weight EmptySun Jul 29, 2012 6:03 pm

Good point about Japan products mc1958.

I'm sure they label all their steel tip stuff as they would soft tip.

Total weight of the dart.
Back to top Go down
getagrip

getagrip

Your Dart Weight Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your Dart Weight   Your Dart Weight EmptySun Jul 29, 2012 6:40 pm

I think Mike mentions the main point regarding steel tips, because we all have our preferences of stems and flights which may change from month to month, so the manufacturers will only state the barrels weight as we may not use the supplied stems and flights.

However in many of the old sets I have they often never gave an exact weight (I'm talking old brass sets) and would just say light, medium or heavy and they could be through a range of weights for each category. I think it probably started to be more specific in the early days of tungsten and was probably to illustrate the point that the thinner barrels were heavier than they looked?
Back to top Go down
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dazdart
Rebel

Rebel

Your Dart Weight Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your Dart Weight   Your Dart Weight EmptySun Jul 29, 2012 8:53 pm

getagrip wrote:
I think Mike mentions the main point regarding steel tips, because we all have our preferences of stems and flights which may change from month to month, so the manufacturers will only state the barrels weight as we may not use the supplied stems and flights.

However in many of the old sets I have they often never gave an exact weight (I'm talking old brass sets) and would just say light, medium or heavy and they could be through a range of weights for each category. I think it probably started to be more specific in the early days of tungsten and was probably to illustrate the point that the thinner barrels were heavier than they looked?

Great point Grip, especially when you see a set of brass darts that are twice the size of a tungsten set yet weight the same, makes sense they would start putting the actual weight on the packaging.
Back to top Go down
getagrip

getagrip

Your Dart Weight Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your Dart Weight   Your Dart Weight EmptySun Jul 29, 2012 10:52 pm

I think its also a convenience or lazy thing when we say "my Darts are 24g!" we actually mean the barrels are 24g but dont bother to elaborate further, the barrels I am using now are 25.2g but with my cosmo flight and stems the total weight is 26.8g so almost 2 gram heavier.
Back to top Go down
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dazdart
TheFox180

Your Dart Weight Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your Dart Weight   Your Dart Weight EmptySun Jul 29, 2012 10:56 pm

Iv got a couple of sets at home that are supposed to be 22g but there's a definite difference in weight. I'd say one of them is a lot closer to 23g
Back to top Go down
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
Saber

Saber

Your Dart Weight Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your Dart Weight   Your Dart Weight EmptySun Jul 29, 2012 11:11 pm

I weighed my phase 6's barrels only and the were 25.41, 25.42 and 25.43 very respectable for Unicorn darts as I too feel Targets and Winmau are the best in the world IMO.
with inbetween (28mm) cosmo spinners and standard flights increase to 27.23 each.

Nice posts from all you members and much appreciated by myself and sure from rest of the members. Thx. Larry
Back to top Go down
the_cutter

the_cutter

Your Dart Weight Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your Dart Weight   Your Dart Weight EmptyWed Aug 08, 2012 2:30 pm

I understand the importance of the actual weight but I rely on what's stated on the package. I never weighed any of my dart before.

I agree with Rebel. Comfort and balance takes precedence over the actual weight of the dart, including the setup, for me. Also, I usually throw 24-26g darts with a couple 23g, that are considered average to heavy weights. I only notice a slight weight differece when I'm throwing 23g. But from 24-26g, I don't really notice.
Back to top Go down

Your Dart Weight Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your Dart Weight   Your Dart Weight EmptyTue Aug 14, 2012 8:48 am

Thefox180 wrote:
Iv got a couple of sets at home that are supposed to be 22g but there's a definite difference in weight. I'd say one of them is a lot closer to 23g

You'll find out soon enough. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Big Gun

Big Gun

Your Dart Weight Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your Dart Weight   Your Dart Weight EmptyTue Aug 14, 2012 9:07 am

I bought myself a set of Scales that the jewellers weigh their gold with and they have been a godsend. Every one asks me to weight their darts for them. The weight is for the barrel only your stems will be another gram or so and another half a gram for the flight so a 24g dart actually weighs nearer 25 and a half grams when you are playing with it & yes when weightlifting it is the total of all the components as I've done that too.

I can tell the difference in a gram but then I am a flighter so I don't know if that makes a difference to a hard thrower, I believe it does but then others may think differently
Back to top Go down
Saber

Saber

Your Dart Weight Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your Dart Weight   Your Dart Weight EmptyFri Sep 28, 2012 1:16 am

bump
Back to top Go down

Your Dart Weight Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your Dart Weight   Your Dart Weight EmptyFri Sep 28, 2012 2:35 am

22g barrels. so with flight and stem 23.5g ish

Back to top Go down
Lefty544

Lefty544

Your Dart Weight Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your Dart Weight   Your Dart Weight EmptyFri Sep 28, 2012 3:18 am

The past three sets that I have purchased, McCoys from Pure Darts, I have weighed just the barrels on a digital scale and they were all dead on or within 0.1g.

I throw heavier darts though. So, I don't know if that makes a difference in the manufacturers ability to machine the exact weight. Maybe you just got a bad batch? Figure there has to be some percentage of errors because no machining process is 100% I dunno
Back to top Go down

Your Dart Weight Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your Dart Weight   Your Dart Weight EmptyFri Sep 28, 2012 7:26 am

I got a set of Bulls Barney's (golden) darts from A180 which I ordered in 25 grams.
The package said 25 grams but when weighed were actually 23.1 - that is a big difference to me! I've recently sent them back to the company in exchange for a different set. Still waiting to hear what their answer is - probably tell me where to stuff them Very Happy
Back to top Go down
TrollTheLocalPatriot

TrollTheLocalPatriot

Your Dart Weight Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your Dart Weight   Your Dart Weight EmptyFri Sep 28, 2012 8:06 pm

My darts where 20.26 all three I think
Back to top Go down
Hatrick

Hatrick

Your Dart Weight Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your Dart Weight   Your Dart Weight EmptyFri Sep 28, 2012 10:03 pm

I cant answer why your darts were so far off JD but I know they cant advertize the weight with stems flights and so on because not everybody uses the same flight stem combo and some most definately do weigh more than others..just my opinion.

Hat
Back to top Go down
Jimbo21

Jimbo21

Your Dart Weight Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your Dart Weight   Your Dart Weight EmptyFri Sep 28, 2012 11:06 pm

I have always worked on the theory that the weight that was quoted was just the barrels. So the only difference I ever had was if I used a different length stem or a thick or thin flight.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Your Dart Weight Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your Dart Weight   Your Dart Weight Empty

Back to top Go down

Your Dart Weight

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1