We have moved to www.dartsnutz.net
Darts Nutz forum has now moved to www.dartsnutz.net please register on that site instead.

Thanks!

Darts Nutz forum has now moved to www.dartsnutz.net please register on that site instead.

Thanks!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Re-register a new account there please

HomeLatest imagesSoft Tip Question LPRegisterLog in

Photobucket

map1
Display Pagerank

Soft Tip Question

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ShadowBox

Soft Tip Question Empty
PostSubject: Soft Tip Question   Soft Tip Question EmptyThu Feb 14, 2013 2:53 am

I've been away for a while mainly because I can't find a place to play outside of my den. I live in the strange world of Southern California where the local seem to be afraid of darts...too dangerous I suppose. I guess they throw at each other and haven't found what the true sport is all about. So I am about to succom to the goofy world of soft tip.

My Steel weigh is about 20-22 grams and I just don't know how I'm going to wrap myself around those feathery 18 grammers to stay legal and keep peace amongst the group. What do most people do? Go 16 and sloppy or go 18 and watch them fly all over? Or is it somehow no big deal? Then too, I see that I have a 20 gram option these days but am warned that that may be a curse in some venues and board makers.

So what's a steel tipper to do? Or does some magical force step in and make it no big deal? Please please help a soon-to-be come backer.
Back to top Go down
USMC80

USMC80

Soft Tip Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Soft Tip Question   Soft Tip Question EmptyThu Feb 14, 2013 2:54 am

I went 18g and was easy transformation. Although depending on your league and boards used some do support up to 25g
Back to top Go down
spat66

spat66

Soft Tip Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Soft Tip Question   Soft Tip Question EmptyThu Feb 14, 2013 3:06 am

Its not too bad of a transformation at least it wasn't for me. I would say go with the heaviest soft tips you can with a similiar barrel as your steels
Back to top Go down
Saber

Saber

Soft Tip Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Soft Tip Question   Soft Tip Question EmptyThu Feb 14, 2013 3:25 am

And don't forget your roll of quarters Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down

Soft Tip Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Soft Tip Question   Soft Tip Question EmptyThu Feb 14, 2013 3:35 am

The guys that play soft tip league around here pay $7 a week to play. $2 of that goes into the machine. When I used to play steel tip I had to pay $5 a week to play. Here's the major difference... In steel tip we'd have a banquet at the end of the year with free food and trophy's. Decent. But at the end of the soft tip league we'd have that same get together and I'd be handed a fat envelope wish CASH in it. Most players would get back quite a bit of money. Last time I played I think the 4 of us on my team got back about $200 EACH. Personally I've never played in a steel tip money league but in soft tip it's quite common around here.
Back to top Go down
Saber

Saber

Soft Tip Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Soft Tip Question   Soft Tip Question EmptyThu Feb 14, 2013 3:43 am

JD wrote:
The guys that play soft tip league around here pay $7 a week to play. $2 of that goes into the machine. When I used to play steel tip I had to pay $5 a week to play. Here's the major difference... In steel tip we'd have a banquet at the end of the year with free food and trophy's. Decent. But at the end of the soft tip league we'd have that same get together and I'd be handed a fat envelope wish CASH in it. Most players would get back quite a bit of money. Last time I played I think the 4 of us on my team got back about $200 EACH. Personally I've never played in a steel tip money league but in soft tip it's quite common around here.

Nice JD! that is an upside! thanks for the info.
Back to top Go down
spat66

spat66

Soft Tip Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Soft Tip Question   Soft Tip Question EmptyThu Feb 14, 2013 3:56 am

yea our soft tip league is the same way - money back and banquet with free food and drinks. Cost $3 a night in quarters -$20 for total league dues aside from the quarters. Then we get award pins. Steel tip league was $5 a match - then banquet with free food and drinks, Got nice plaques or trophys instead of money back
Back to top Go down
Jimbo21

Jimbo21

Soft Tip Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Soft Tip Question   Soft Tip Question EmptyThu Feb 14, 2013 9:10 am

Shadowbox, check out the specials page at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] They have some very nice soft tip darts for around $10US.
Back to top Go down
nnj

Soft Tip Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Soft Tip Question   Soft Tip Question EmptyThu Feb 14, 2013 10:37 am

theres really no difference between 18-22. just change the length of your shaft or shape of your flight to simulate the additional drag.

our steel league is $125 per team per season with a small banquet and awards. no cash back

our soft tip league is $6 per match in dues which goes to a huge banquet, awards, entries paid to vegas, travel funds and cash back
Back to top Go down
Jimbo21

Jimbo21

Soft Tip Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Soft Tip Question   Soft Tip Question EmptyThu Feb 14, 2013 2:05 pm

My Monday and Wednesday leagues only cost me $50 club fees for 12 months. The club pays all nomination fees.

Tuesday league, each player pays $18 a season registration.

Tuesday and Wednesday leagues have a presentation night once a year that covers the 2 seasons a year. It is buy your own drinks and byo nibble platters. They usually provide a dj so you can dance the night away if you want to.

I forgot, Tuesday league, if we are the home team, we pay $5 each for a light supper at the end of the game.
Back to top Go down
loopdogg

loopdogg

Soft Tip Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Soft Tip Question   Soft Tip Question EmptyThu Feb 14, 2013 11:15 pm

In our area, you get either 1,2, or3 players together and go to a bar and ask if they would sponser you. They pay $50 a season, 24 weeks, and we pay $7.75 a week per player. $4 for dues and $3.75 for the games that night. It all goes in the machine, and at the end of the year (second Sunday in May) we have a big dinner , kegs jedis fight and 20 - 25 borads set up for blind draw tourny. Depending on how you finish in league you can easily make your "quarter money" back...trophies, door prizes, I will be sure to post pics
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Soft Tip Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Soft Tip Question   Soft Tip Question Empty

Back to top Go down

Soft Tip Question

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1