We have moved to www.dartsnutz.net
Darts Nutz forum has now moved to www.dartsnutz.net please register on that site instead.

Thanks!

Darts Nutz forum has now moved to www.dartsnutz.net please register on that site instead.

Thanks!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Re-register a new account there please

HomeLatest imagespoints LPRegisterLog in

Photobucket

map1
Display Pagerank

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
katmaxx86

katmaxx86

points Empty
PostSubject: points   points EmptyTue Dec 11, 2012 8:58 am

any comments or thoughts on how much points change the flight of the dart?
Back to top Go down

points Empty
PostSubject: Re: points   points EmptyTue Dec 11, 2012 9:05 am

katmaxx86 wrote:
any comments or thoughts on how much points change the flight of the dart?

I don't think the point does much to change the flight of the dart. However, the little ridge right where the point goes into the dart can account for massive deflections. Storm points fix that though.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Bigshow

Bigshow

points Empty
PostSubject: Re: points   points EmptyTue Dec 11, 2012 9:15 am

Tridents help too but I found that I was going through them at an awful rate. I imagine storm points would be better but I haven't bothered trying them yet.
Back to top Go down
Lefty544

Lefty544

points Empty
PostSubject: Re: points   points EmptyTue Dec 11, 2012 9:25 am

I agree with JD and Bigshow. The point doesn't alter the flight path of the dart in my opinion (if it does at all it is inconsequential compared to other physical characteristics of the dart).

I have not used storm points or tridents. My groupings are not tight enough to be concerned with that. However, that is what you should be concerned about when it comes to points. There is a lot of surface area to cause undesired deflections and/or bounce outs.
Back to top Go down
getagrip

getagrip

points Empty
PostSubject: Re: points   points EmptyTue Dec 11, 2012 9:33 am

well Pipe uses very long points so it must have a small affect on the darts balance point surely?
Back to top Go down
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dazdart
katmaxx86

katmaxx86

points Empty
PostSubject: points   points EmptyTue Dec 11, 2012 9:41 am

the reason i ask was i went from 26mm storm to 30 mm reg. on a set of old darts and started throwing well with them was wandering if it did indeed effect balance depending on length
Back to top Go down
getagrip

getagrip

points Empty
PostSubject: Re: points   points EmptyTue Dec 11, 2012 9:46 am

has it affected your grip position? do you rest your finger on the point because that would change your throw a little too?
Back to top Go down
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dazdart

points Empty
PostSubject: Re: points   points EmptyTue Dec 11, 2012 10:08 am

I think a long point might have an effect on my light Hankey's. Maybe not a 30mm, but if i put a 35mm point it might make the balance point different. Never really tried a long point.
Back to top Go down
Jimbo21

Jimbo21

points Empty
PostSubject: Re: points   points EmptyTue Dec 11, 2012 10:43 am

I have long points in my Hankey's and I dont notice any difference from short points.
Back to top Go down
Aussie Kev

Aussie Kev

points Empty
PostSubject: Re: points   points EmptyThu Jan 03, 2013 9:12 pm

Can It be possable that a new set of darts can have a point that is not straight or sitting incorrect. I an trying out a set of Whitlocks, and to my eye it looks like one point is not sitting correct. Is there any reading info on correcting points,adjusting points or is it wise to change all 3. . Is there a simple test to check? Any advice.
Back to top Go down
rabsmith2

rabsmith2

points Empty
PostSubject: Re: points   points EmptyThu Jan 03, 2013 10:54 pm

Take the stem and flight off, roll barrel on a table you will know if the point is off.
Back to top Go down
habanerojooz

points Empty
PostSubject: Re: points   points EmptyFri Jan 04, 2013 12:18 am

Anytime you change the length and weight of a dart, whether you change it from the front with a different point or change it from the rear with a different shaft, you change the balance point a little. The more length and weight that you add (or take away), the more noticeable this change is.

A simple way to detect the balance point is to balance a dart on your finger before you make the change. Once you make the change, balance it on your finger again. You'll notice after the change, that the balance point on the barrel moved slightly after you make the change. Again, the amount of the BP movement is dependent on the amount of length and weight that you added (or took away) with the change.
Back to top Go down
Hatrick

Hatrick

points Empty
PostSubject: Re: points   points EmptyFri Jan 04, 2013 12:28 am

Katmaxx to answer your question yes the point does affect the flight of your dart. I have used the 26mm storm points in my darts for at least 2 years now and about 6 months ago I ordered a new set and ordered the 30mm by accident. They are actually quite a bit longer and changed the flight of my dart big time!! I play with the pear shaped flights all I had to do was switch to a flight with a bigger surface area (Kites is what I used.) and it fixed my problem. Hope this helps..

Hat hatrick
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

points Empty
PostSubject: Re: points   points Empty

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1