We have moved to www.dartsnutz.net
Darts Nutz forum has now moved to www.dartsnutz.net please register on that site instead.

Thanks!

Darts Nutz forum has now moved to www.dartsnutz.net please register on that site instead.

Thanks!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Re-register a new account there please

HomeLatest imagesNew Darts advice LPRegisterLog in

Photobucket

map1
Display Pagerank

New Darts advice

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Ivefoundgod

Ivefoundgod

New Darts advice Empty
PostSubject: New Darts advice   New Darts advice EmptyThu May 10, 2012 12:42 am

Hi lads, I could've sworn there was an Equipment Chat forum somewhere but I can't find it so hope this in the right place.

Anyway, I'm looking to try a heavier dart 24-26g, possibly in the Lowe/Phase 5 style barrel. Don't want to break the bank because there's a good chance they won't suit my throw so the cheaper the better, less than £20 ideally. I'm currently looking at the Harrows ICE 25g at the moment;

http://www.dartscorner.co.uk/Darts---Steel-Tip-Harrows-Darts-Harrows-ICE/c9_118_143/p33130/Darts---25g-Steel-Tip-Tungsten-Darts---Harrows---%3Cb%3EI.C.E.%3C/b%3E---25gR/product_info.html

I'm open to all suggestions really, I looked at getting a set of Barney phase IIs, a mate has a set and I seem to get on well with them but I'm wary of spending £35-40 when it could just be what I call the "Throw amazing with other peoples darts for 10 minutes, then are rubbish with them when you buy them effect" Very Happy

Also if anyone is selling any sets similar to these I might be interested. Cheers in advance lads.
Back to top Go down
getagrip

getagrip

New Darts advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Darts advice   New Darts advice EmptyThu May 10, 2012 1:16 am

Very Happy yep there is an equipment chat mate, its a sub forum to general chat, but no worries its fine here.

The ICE darts are really nice, you should check out the Pure Darts site too as they have some similar Lowe shape darts for about £15 like these:

http://www.puredarts.co.uk/darts/mccoy-70_mccoy_cpu_ta_80_bullet_24g.php
Back to top Go down
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dazdart
USMC80

USMC80

New Darts advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Darts advice   New Darts advice EmptyThu May 10, 2012 1:22 am

getagrip wrote:
Very Happy yep there is an equipment chat mate, its a sub forum to general chat, but no worries its fine here.

The ICE darts are really nice, you should check out the Pure Darts site too as they have some similar Lowe shape darts for about £15 like these:

http://www.puredarts.co.uk/darts/mccoy-70_mccoy_cpu_ta_80_bullet_24g.php

I just bought them in 22g cant wait.
Back to top Go down
zappaluv

zappaluv

New Darts advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Darts advice   New Darts advice EmptyThu May 10, 2012 1:31 am

Dia Duit,

You could also try Harrows Alien, Winmau Diablo or Firefox, McCoy Shark or Sniper all have a similar shape to John Lowe and Phase 5.

Don't know how long you have been playing for? I have gone through a few sets of darts and i found the most useful thing was just to throw friends darts and find which ones you like and which ones you don't. Lots of good players have multiple sets and probably won't mind letting you have a throw for a night or a week (especially if you buy them a pint). It's also good to analyse your throwing style to find a dart to suit. do you push from the back, pull from the front or somewhere inbetween. you certainly probably don't want a front loaded dart if you push from the back for example IMO.

Darts review page
http://www.dartsnutz.com/f21-darts-reviews
Product review page:
http://www.dartsnutz.com/f10-product-reviews

Slainte agus tainte
Back to top Go down
Ivefoundgod

Ivefoundgod

New Darts advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Darts advice   New Darts advice EmptyThu May 10, 2012 1:53 am

Cheers for the tips lads. I'd be worried about the grip level on some of them but does seem to be some nice sets there. I'm throwing well over a year now and I grip the dart at the rear of the barrel so I push the dart rather than pull.

Are all Lowe style darts front loaded? My theory was that if I had no choice but to hold the dart where the grip is I could be more consistent, I've used straight barrel darts since I started but i'm more curious than anything else to see how the Lowe style darts feel.

zappaluv, I've tried all the players on my teams darts at one time or another and all of those except one where straight barrel, the one that wasn't was 30g which is way too heavy for me.
Back to top Go down
zappaluv

zappaluv

New Darts advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Darts advice   New Darts advice EmptyThu May 10, 2012 2:15 am

Quote :
Are all Lowe style darts front loaded? My theory was that if I had no choice but to hold the dart where the grip is I could be more consistent, I've used straight barrel darts since I started but i'm more curious than anything else to see how the Lowe style darts feel.

No. I'd say that Lowe style darts are mid loaded. Front loaded darts are like Dennis Priestly, Simon Whitlock where most of the weight is in the front of the dart. Straight barrel darts would be "through" loaded with the weight more or less evenly distributed.

And your right about having a more consistent position with very little space to hold the dart. That's why i tried the Dennis Priestly darts since i'm a puller and i liked the consistency the bulb at the front gave. i had tried a number of different darts from other players before deciding that a front loaded dart could help. I also did a lot of experimenting with shafts and flights! There was still something i wasn't 100% comfortable with though. So i forked out the dough for the Target Perfect Storm 5 and i think i have finally found the right combo.

Hope you do too.
Back to top Go down
Ivefoundgod

Ivefoundgod

New Darts advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Darts advice   New Darts advice EmptyThu May 10, 2012 2:25 am

Cheers, might try out a set then. I'll have to do a bit more research on which might suit best, cheers for the help.
Back to top Go down
rumandcork

rumandcork

New Darts advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Darts advice   New Darts advice EmptyThu May 10, 2012 2:41 am

i think options for true rear loaded darts are limited. i can adjust my grip to most any barrel load configuration without negative effects. If i was limited to only a rear loaded dart i would consider these-they are on my shortlist to buybut have been delayed because grip and reb have some suweeet darts looking for homes. Very Happy

check these out:

http://www.a-zdarts.com/Products/Puma-Shot-903-Steel-Darts__P-SD3303-424-24gm.aspx

available in 22,24,26
Back to top Go down
getagrip

getagrip

New Darts advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Darts advice   New Darts advice EmptyThu May 10, 2012 3:04 am

rumandcork wrote:
i think options for true rear loaded darts are limited. i can adjust my grip to most any barrel load configuration without negative effects. If i was limited to only a rear loaded dart i would consider these-they are on my shortlist to buybut have been delayed because grip and reb have some suweeet darts looking for homes. Very Happy

check these out:

http://www.a-zdarts.com/Products/Puma-Shot-903-Steel-Darts__P-SD3303-424-24gm.aspx

available in 22,24,26

they are very much like the Bulls Wagners which are a nice dart, but if you go for them then buy them here, they are a little cheaper and free postage, I have had 2 orders from them all the way from New Zealand and they came in just 4 days!!!

http://www.dartswarehouse.com/shop/Steel+Tip+Darts/Darts+By+Range/Shot+903/SD3303-424.html
Back to top Go down
Saber

Saber

New Darts advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Darts advice   New Darts advice EmptyThu May 10, 2012 3:06 am

Good thread,
I will say the I.C.E. are really great darts for the money. Keep us abreast of what u do because its very interesting stuff.

ps please go to player interview thread and ask some questions of Devon Petersen please.
Thanks - Larry
Back to top Go down
rumandcork

rumandcork

New Darts advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Darts advice   New Darts advice EmptyThu May 10, 2012 3:12 am

indeed the wagners a proper dart. i tried to smuggle grips but they were already gone
Back to top Go down
Saber

Saber

New Darts advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Darts advice   New Darts advice EmptyThu May 10, 2012 3:14 am

Thats Grip for ya lol
Back to top Go down
Ivefoundgod

Ivefoundgod

New Darts advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Darts advice   New Darts advice EmptyThu May 10, 2012 4:37 am

Thanks for the info again lads. I'm not so sure I'm looking specifically for rear loaded darts, I'd just like to try something that basically forces you to grip the dart in the exact same place everytime and the Lowe/Bullet style darts all seem to have a smallish grip area. A friend has the scalloped Purist (scallop at the rear) which I thought would suit me perfect but I didn't like it at all, felt completely unnatural to me. I'll be sure to let you know what I go for, I'm in no rush to run out and buy a set so I'm going to just keep looking around. For now, the I.C.E. and the McCoy Sharks look ideal to try out, particularly with the grip level. Some great recommendations there though, thanks.
Back to top Go down
Rebel

Rebel

New Darts advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Darts advice   New Darts advice EmptyThu May 10, 2012 5:05 am

I'm a bit late jumping in on this but a couple of sets that spring to mind are:

Red Dragon Fusions (white, black or pink!):
http://www.reddragondarts.com/cgi-bin/sitewise.pl?act=big&p=3150&secdesc=1&id=dragon

And these gems, McCoy Stealths (£10 cheaper in silver):
http://www.puredarts.co.uk/darts/mccoy-26_mccoy_90_stealth_black_25g.php

I have had both and can vouch that they are both great darts.

Good luck in your search Good Luck
Back to top Go down
Ivefoundgod

Ivefoundgod

New Darts advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Darts advice   New Darts advice EmptyThu May 10, 2012 5:35 am

Cheers for the links Rebel, completely forgot about checking Red Dragon. A friend had the Stealths before, didn't really suit my grip, they're a lot like Unicorn Sigmas though.
Back to top Go down
TrollTheLocalPatriot

TrollTheLocalPatriot

New Darts advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Darts advice   New Darts advice EmptyFri May 11, 2012 12:49 am

Back to top Go down
Ivefoundgod

Ivefoundgod

New Darts advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Darts advice   New Darts advice EmptyFri May 11, 2012 5:35 am

Cheers Troll, good price for them. Not too keen on them thanks to grips review but a nice dart nevertheless. I'll be sure to update this thread once I eventually pick a new set, it's fun browsing through all the dart shops and forums for pics and feedback.
Back to top Go down
TrollTheLocalPatriot

TrollTheLocalPatriot

New Darts advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Darts advice   New Darts advice EmptySat May 12, 2012 3:48 am

Back to top Go down
Ivefoundgod

Ivefoundgod

New Darts advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Darts advice   New Darts advice EmptySat May 12, 2012 8:17 am

Those are a gorgeous dart. Added to the list of possible purchases, now 6 different sets. Could be difficult to cut that list down.
Back to top Go down
TrollTheLocalPatriot

TrollTheLocalPatriot

New Darts advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Darts advice   New Darts advice EmptySat May 12, 2012 8:34 pm

For you not important ,but this site has free shipping and prices half of DartCorner
Back to top Go down
Lefty544

Lefty544

New Darts advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Darts advice   New Darts advice EmptyTue May 15, 2012 3:01 am

I'm not sure if you bought the I.C.E. already or not but I have 25g Barney Phase IIs that I would be willing to trade with you if you want.
Back to top Go down

New Darts advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Darts advice   New Darts advice EmptyWed May 16, 2012 10:13 am

Back to top Go down
Ivefoundgod

Ivefoundgod

New Darts advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Darts advice   New Darts advice EmptySat May 19, 2012 12:35 am

Quick update on my search for new darts to try, got a set of Barney Phase II 25g off stevec180 because I always liked the look of em, going to give these a go for a while and see how I get on with the weight, then I think i'll try the bullet type dart. Still haven't made my mind up which ones but I'll keep lookin into it.
Back to top Go down
getagrip

getagrip

New Darts advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Darts advice   New Darts advice EmptySat May 19, 2012 12:58 am

Ivefoundgod wrote:
Quick update on my search for new darts to try, got a set of Barney Phase II 25g off stevec180 because I always liked the look of em, going to give these a go for a while and see how I get on with the weight, then I think i'll try the bullet type dart. Still haven't made my mind up which ones but I'll keep lookin into it.

Good luck with them, they are a nice dart!
Back to top Go down
Ivefoundgod

Ivefoundgod

New Darts advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Darts advice   New Darts advice EmptyTue Jun 12, 2012 9:36 am

Well I've ended up with a set of ICE 25g (Courtesy of grip). First impressions, they are a beautiful looking dart and fly perfectly. Perhaps a touch too heavy for me but I'll see if I can get used to them. The grip section is fractionally too small to suit my grip perfectly but it does give me a good reference point when holding the dart. Very impressed with the ICE darts and I think I may very well invest in one of the other sets, 22g probably as the grip section looks like it would suit my grip.
Back to top Go down

New Darts advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Darts advice   New Darts advice EmptyTue Jun 12, 2012 11:41 am

Hey, I have a set of those on the way as well. Hmmmm, hope they didn't mix up Ireland with Nova Scotia again. Hey wait, I live in NEW Waterford, not Waterford. Is it possible that you have MY darts?
Back to top Go down
Ivefoundgod

Ivefoundgod

New Darts advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Darts advice   New Darts advice EmptyFri Jun 15, 2012 8:15 am

Hehe, I hope not anyway canuck! Smile The Harrows are a very nice dart but the gripped part is just too short for me. Back to the drawing board I suppose, I'm glad I got to try out the Bullet type dart, a scalloped dart is next on my experimentation list. I might post a picture of my grip and maybe people can advise me a bit better. Sticking with my Bulls Barneys for now.
Back to top Go down

New Darts advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Darts advice   New Darts advice EmptyFri Jun 15, 2012 8:27 am

Good luck on your quest my friend!!
Back to top Go down
getagrip

getagrip

New Darts advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Darts advice   New Darts advice EmptyFri Jun 15, 2012 8:30 am

Ivefoundgod wrote:
Hehe, I hope not anyway canuck! Smile The Harrows are a very nice dart but the gripped part is just too short for me. Back to the drawing board I suppose, I'm glad I got to try out the Bullet type dart, a scalloped dart is next on my experimentation list. I might post a picture of my grip and maybe people can advise me a bit better. Sticking with my Bulls Barneys for now.

yeah a pic of your grip might help mate! You could always have them modified with extra grip?
Back to top Go down
Ivefoundgod

Ivefoundgod

New Darts advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Darts advice   New Darts advice EmptySat Jun 23, 2012 8:20 am

I thought about modifying them Grip but I figure there is probably a set out there that would suit me. Anyway, I took a pic of my grip, not sure if its unusual so hopefully someone can advise:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

As you can see, I grip the dart with my thumb and fore finger at the rear of the barrel, almost where it meets the stem. When I was using the ICE darts, my thumb wasn't touching the gripped section and so it just didn't feel right to throw. I'm looking at the following two sets to try, if anyone could give me some advice I'd love to hear it.

Devon Petersons 22g; http://tinyurl.com/7kv4rpc

Target Precision Aviator 20g or 22g; http://tinyurl.com/7rldmdn

Also does anyone know if the dimensions of the 20g Aviators are smaller than the 22g? Thanks in advance guys!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

New Darts advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Darts advice   New Darts advice Empty

Back to top Go down

New Darts advice

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next