We have moved to www.dartsnutz.net
Darts Nutz forum has now moved to www.dartsnutz.net please register on that site instead.

Thanks!

Darts Nutz forum has now moved to www.dartsnutz.net please register on that site instead.

Thanks!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Re-register a new account there please

HomeLatest imagesAdvice on starting a singles league LPRegisterLog in

Photobucket

map1
Display Pagerank

Advice on starting a singles league

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
KTLanta

KTLanta

Advice on starting a singles league Empty
PostSubject: Advice on starting a singles league   Advice on starting a singles league EmptyWed May 30, 2012 3:18 am

A couple friends of mine and I are going to start a women's dart league in Atlanta. We know we want it to be a singles league, but none of us have ever played in a singles league. Can anyone give me suggestions for format? Or any idea on how it works?

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
getagrip

getagrip

PostSubject: Re: Advice on starting a singles league   Advice on starting a singles league EmptyWed May 30, 2012 3:23 am

Sounds like a great idea, there is a lot of people on here in leagues so I'm sure someone will have the answer, I know Hatrick is well involved with something similar so he should be able to help.

Good luck! good job
Back to top Go down
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dazdart
KTLanta

KTLanta

PostSubject: Re: Advice on starting a singles league   Advice on starting a singles league EmptyWed May 30, 2012 3:25 am

thanks! looking forward to it!

we're thinking of naming the league: tarts & darts

HA!
Back to top Go down
getagrip

getagrip

PostSubject: Re: Advice on starting a singles league   Advice on starting a singles league EmptyWed May 30, 2012 3:28 am

cry laugh

Well, I like it!
Back to top Go down
Saber

Saber

PostSubject: Re: Advice on starting a singles league   Advice on starting a singles league EmptyWed May 30, 2012 3:33 am

Welcome again Kt,
If your just playing singles I would suggest best out of three on 301 dido and the same with Cricket. Really simple actually if not playing doubles. Winner get 1 point for 01 and Cricket 1 point. There are different formats so here is a link, hope it helps ya.

http://www.ndfpdarts.com/dl_league_format.htm
Back to top Go down
CanadianBacon

CanadianBacon

PostSubject: Re: Advice on starting a singles league   Advice on starting a singles league EmptyWed May 30, 2012 3:48 am

i played in a small singles league last winter and it was a lot of fun. there aren't many dart players in my area but those that do play are quite good. 3 out of 10 are top 16/32 darts ontario contenders for mens/womens.

in our league we had 20 players broken into an A and B division (10 each). we only play n01 around here but it was a split between 501 SIDO and 301 DIDO. each league night you'd play a different player and then it would start over again once you played everyone. the b division would play 9 games of 501 and 5 games of 301, so 14 all together. the a division would play 14 games of 501 and 7 games of 301 for 21 games. we also kept track of our high scores, high ins, high outs, and low number of darts for points. an example for B division would be another over 90 points scored a point but the higher you scored the more points you got (ie +130 was 2 points, +150 was 3, +171 was 4). similar idea for A division but harder to score points as +130 was only 1 point. the points would be added up as "all star points" and there would be cash prizes for the top 3 in each division. we were a strictly cash out league. we also held a 50/50 draw every league night where half the money would go into paying for ink/toner, printer paper for stats, chalk, etc. the rest would go into the pot for prizes at the end of the year.

we also had a deposit for each player of 20 dollars on top of the league fee. this was an incentive to make sure people showed up. if you couldn't make it/didn't show up, 10 dollars of your deposit would go to your opponent for showing up when you didn't. you'd still have to make up the games at a later date. you can call an arrange a different time to play your games, but if you don't give your opponent fair warning, you are essentially giving them 10 dollars. if you show up to every league night, you get your 20 dollars back at the end of the season.

next year we are anticipating more players as our A division has a good reputation for being fun/competitive. (we had 3 guys out of 10 hit 170 outs this year alone) however if we get more players we will be creating an A, B and C division as some of our B players aren't good enough to beat the top B players and the same in A division. currently with our system a lot of players get discouraged because some nights you'll get steam rolled by the better players. i got beat 21-0 by our best player once. so an A, B and C would hopefully be a lot more competitive.

Back to top Go down
CanadianBacon

CanadianBacon

PostSubject: Re: Advice on starting a singles league   Advice on starting a singles league EmptyWed May 30, 2012 3:52 am

also forgot to add i prefer singles league where i live over the team leagues. i find the team leagues are usually a lot further away, so i have to drive 30 minutes one way to play a maximum of 13 games (two separate team leagues are both +45 min drive). where as in my singles league which is a lot closer (8 minute drive) i get a guaranteed 21 games in A division. so you get to play a lot more darts in night. i subbed for a team that my friends made in the one league and it just wasn't as competitive as what i had hoped it would be. i know next fall they are going to ask me to join their team but i'm hesitant because of the drive and the fact that on average you get to play 9 games in a night. Me Thinking
Back to top Go down
KTLanta

KTLanta

PostSubject: Re: Advice on starting a singles league   Advice on starting a singles league EmptyWed May 30, 2012 4:00 am

that is way to far to drive!!

thanks for the advice, saber and bacon!

we're only expecting a dozen ladies, max. we were thinking of doing it as a social - every sunday at 2. whoever shows up, plays. maybe we could do a best of 3, 5 or 7 (coin toss for cork, winner of cork chooses 501, 301 or cricket, loser throws mugs/picks game, if there's a tie winner of coin toss chooses who corks first) - everyone plays everyone. if you miss a week, your bad. we'd track 501 averages/player points (1 pt per win), high ins & outs, etc.

what do you think?

some of the interested women haven't thrown league before so we want to make it semi low-key/non threatening.
Back to top Go down
Saber

Saber

PostSubject: Re: Advice on starting a singles league   Advice on starting a singles league EmptyWed May 30, 2012 4:02 am

Kt sounds like a lot of fun! let us know how it goes will ya. Good Luck
Back to top Go down
CanadianBacon

CanadianBacon

PostSubject: Re: Advice on starting a singles league   Advice on starting a singles league EmptyWed May 30, 2012 4:13 am

that sounds like fun katie! hopefully you can get a steady number to keep it fun/interesting. good luck Smile
Back to top Go down
KTLanta

KTLanta

PostSubject: Re: Advice on starting a singles league   Advice on starting a singles league EmptyWed May 30, 2012 4:15 am

thanks, y'all!

i'll probably have plenty of questions/advice after our first official meeting on sunday!
Back to top Go down
KTLanta

KTLanta

PostSubject: Re: Advice on starting a singles league   Advice on starting a singles league EmptyWed May 30, 2012 4:15 am

and yes i did just say "y'all."

don't hate. i live in atlanta. it happens.
Back to top Go down
getagrip

getagrip

PostSubject: Re: Advice on starting a singles league   Advice on starting a singles league EmptyWed May 30, 2012 4:21 am

Way Aye Man!
Back to top Go down
Lefty544

Lefty544

PostSubject: Re: Advice on starting a singles league   Advice on starting a singles league EmptyWed May 30, 2012 5:57 am

I think that's a great start for the league. It's simple and "non-threatening" as you put it. Then, after doing it for several weeks you will find it either grow or start to die down. Either way by keeping the original format simple it prevents you from investing too much time into putting something together that may or may not stand the weather of time.

You also seem to have it structured so that there is plenty of room for adjustments and tweaking. Best of luck and keep us posted good job
Back to top Go down
USMC80

USMC80

PostSubject: Re: Advice on starting a singles league   Advice on starting a singles league EmptyWed May 30, 2012 6:02 am

Have to agree with Lefty. Keep it simple until you get an idea of the popularity. It stinks to put so much time and effort into something and then its a let down.
Back to top Go down
TheFox180

PostSubject: Re: Advice on starting a singles league   Advice on starting a singles league EmptyWed May 30, 2012 6:14 am

Sounds like a great idea, make sure to keep us posted!
Back to top Go down
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Advice on starting a singles league   Advice on starting a singles league Empty

Back to top Go down

Advice on starting a singles league

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1