We have moved to www.dartsnutz.net
Darts Nutz forum has now moved to www.dartsnutz.net please register on that site instead.

Thanks!

Darts Nutz forum has now moved to www.dartsnutz.net please register on that site instead.

Thanks!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Re-register a new account there please

HomeLatest imagesWhy I dislike metal stems ! and prefer nylon  - Page 3 LPRegisterLog in

Photobucket

map1
Display Pagerank

Why I dislike metal stems ! and prefer nylon

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
DIRTY G

DIRTY G

Why I dislike metal stems ! and prefer nylon  - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Why I dislike metal stems ! and prefer nylon    Why I dislike metal stems ! and prefer nylon  - Page 3 EmptyMon Oct 15, 2012 6:37 pm

It me again yanging on about stem weight Very Happy
nylons are lighter than allys
and stem weight plays a BIG part in the way a dart finds its final lie.
Below is a pic of a nylon stem vs brass stem that i converted to fit cosmos
[img][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][/img]

Last edited by USMC80 on Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:37 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : language)
Back to top Go down
jake8380

jake8380

PostSubject: Re: Why I dislike metal stems ! and prefer nylon    Why I dislike metal stems ! and prefer nylon  - Page 3 EmptyTue Oct 16, 2012 6:35 am

DIRTY G wrote:
It me again yanging on about stem weight Very Happy
nylons are lighter than allys
and stem weight plays a BIG part in the way a dart finds its final lie.
Below is a pic of a nylon stem vs brass stem that i converted to fit shity cosmos
[img][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][/img]

Dirty G... it depends on the thrower. Some may use aluminum to help them get the angle they prefer. I use Laro shafts and have a pretty straight on angle to the board which I prefer. So it really depends on how the person throws their dart.
Back to top Go down
Saber

Saber

PostSubject: Re: Why I dislike metal stems ! and prefer nylon    Why I dislike metal stems ! and prefer nylon  - Page 3 EmptyTue Oct 16, 2012 7:53 am

brass stems, wheres me hammer again lol!
Back to top Go down
cldiver

PostSubject: Re: Why I dislike metal stems ! and prefer nylon    Why I dislike metal stems ! and prefer nylon  - Page 3 EmptyTue Oct 16, 2012 10:34 pm

I don't think they're any good at all. They don't seem to be able to withstand much use. I use either cosmo fit flight or regular nylon stems.
Back to top Go down
DIRTY G

DIRTY G

PostSubject: Re: Why I dislike metal stems ! and prefer nylon    Why I dislike metal stems ! and prefer nylon  - Page 3 EmptyWed Oct 17, 2012 12:42 am

Rodger that jake8
Its all about the kick in the dart, even turning a kite around makes a diff on the final lie. But my dart does kick around a bit (not good) you must have a very steady dart. Or the right setup!

What I was trying to suggest though is that some people like there particular setup but cant say why. I think this might be due to stem weight and even flight weight (and shape, leave that for another post).
I had a mate rummaging through all my spares for months untill he found his "old setup", It went a bit like this.
"no thats not it, na, nope, I use to have the perfect setup but I cant remember what it was, na, not it, IV FOUND IT!!!"

It was a medium ally with dimplex standard. But the funny thing was if he put the similar length nylon on you could visably see a change in his final lie.

Im sure it wont work fore every one and it will be the opposit for others but I dont think it should be overlooked for the sake of a few quid or the hassel it has on flights.
Only trial and error will FINE TUNE your dart. If you get away with nylon then great but you gota ask yourself does the nylon make my dart fly better or am I just a tight wad that is to lazy to do some minor adjustments to my stems during play.

Bye the way I use a heavy long strait barrel with short nylon stems and pear flights and my darts have a dead flat lie.

The darts in the pick are 20g and thats what happens when i throw light darts. (not enough OOOMPH)
Back to top Go down
the_cutter

the_cutter

PostSubject: Re: Why I dislike metal stems ! and prefer nylon    Why I dislike metal stems ! and prefer nylon  - Page 3 EmptyWed Oct 17, 2012 1:32 am

I have stopped using aluminum due to the cons presented in this thread. Now I use nylons and phase 5 stems (on some darts).

Among the nylons, intermediate Laro is my favorite. Very durable and I love how they make my darts fly. Regular Target nylons are ok. Unicorn Grippers do not work for me, as they are the only nylons that I had broken.

But of course, to each his own.

Back to top Go down
aboji

PostSubject: Re: Why I dislike metal stems ! and prefer nylon    Why I dislike metal stems ! and prefer nylon  - Page 3 EmptyWed Oct 17, 2012 1:36 am

The main reason I don't use aluminum is because they do bend. A bounceout onto the floor can cause even the slightest bend, compromising the balance.

The nylon stems don't bend and, instead on bounceouts, will break off and are easily (and inexpensively) replaced (although on occasion it is a pain to dig out a small bit trapped inside the barrel.)
Back to top Go down
jake8380

jake8380

PostSubject: Re: Why I dislike metal stems ! and prefer nylon    Why I dislike metal stems ! and prefer nylon  - Page 3 EmptyWed Oct 17, 2012 5:42 am

aboji wrote:
The main reason I don't use aluminum is because they do bend. A bounceout onto the floor can cause even the slightest bend, compromising the balance.

The nylon stems don't bend and, instead on bounceouts, will break off and are easily (and inexpensively) replaced (although on occasion it is a pain to dig out a small bit trapped inside the barrel.)

In the event that happens a small cheap tool like this is a must: [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Best $3.00 investment I've made, used to come in handy especially for soft tip before the real quality soft tips came out (LipPoint etc..).
Back to top Go down
Saber

Saber

PostSubject: Re: Why I dislike metal stems ! and prefer nylon    Why I dislike metal stems ! and prefer nylon  - Page 3 EmptyFri Nov 16, 2012 12:18 am

bump- metal stems still blow!
Back to top Go down
Chalk Is Cheap

PostSubject: Re: Why I dislike metal stems ! and prefer nylon    Why I dislike metal stems ! and prefer nylon  - Page 3 EmptyFri Nov 16, 2012 12:52 am

I switched to nylon and will never go back. Ever.

Ever.

I used to order the aloominium ones in bulk. 10 sets a shot. Because I'd go through that many in a few months. One or two robin hoods and they're trashed.

Because I'd never used nylons, I ordered 10 sets, some rings and a punch.

I've been using the same set of stems for a couple months now. It's RIDICULOUS how much more durable they are than the ally. And now a robin hood just catches the slot ring most of the time so I'm not destroying flights either.

Last thing: I have 43 year old eyes. And trying to fit a flight back into an ally stem in dark pub is a nightmare. With the nylons and slot rings, I can count on one hand the number of times I've had a flight pop off.

And when it happens, reinstalling is a breeze.

Nylon! Nylon! Nylon! happy dude
Back to top Go down
jake8380

jake8380

PostSubject: Re: Why I dislike metal stems ! and prefer nylon    Why I dislike metal stems ! and prefer nylon  - Page 3 EmptyFri Nov 16, 2012 5:13 am

Not to mention you'll never see someone with nylon shafts fiddling with their shafts, trying to spread the prongs because they just wrecked a new flight, tightening them because they don't have an o-ring, or installing an o-ring, or fixing a prong from a robbin hood, and rolling on a flat surface to find where the bend is to try to straighten it out.
Back to top Go down
Saber

Saber

PostSubject: Re: Why I dislike metal stems ! and prefer nylon    Why I dislike metal stems ! and prefer nylon  - Page 3 EmptyFri Nov 16, 2012 9:53 am

Metal stems still blow lol
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why I dislike metal stems ! and prefer nylon    Why I dislike metal stems ! and prefer nylon  - Page 3 EmptyFri Nov 16, 2012 10:02 am

Winmau wrote:

cry laugh cry laugh

Another BUMP.
Back to top Go down
Saber

Saber

PostSubject: Re: Why I dislike metal stems ! and prefer nylon    Why I dislike metal stems ! and prefer nylon  - Page 3 EmptyFri Nov 16, 2012 2:49 pm

Winmau wrote:
Winmau wrote:

cry laugh cry laugh

Another BUMP.
Its Hammer time lol
Back to top Go down
jamie373

jamie373

PostSubject: Re: Why I dislike metal stems ! and prefer nylon    Why I dislike metal stems ! and prefer nylon  - Page 3 EmptyFri Nov 16, 2012 7:12 pm

i've got loads of nylon shafts because they last for ages and are great value. but I'm waiting on a load of aluminum shafts coming in the post because I tried the ones that came with my hankeys and they make the darts fly better , they are slimmer , hankeys uses them , i've hit 3 180's in 2 days and they look better. it might cost me more but I don't care as long as I'm improving
Back to top Go down
DIRTY G

DIRTY G

PostSubject: Re: Why I dislike metal stems ! and prefer nylon    Why I dislike metal stems ! and prefer nylon  - Page 3 EmptyFri Nov 16, 2012 7:21 pm

jamie373 wrote:
i've got loads of nylon shafts because they last for ages and are great value. but I'm waiting on a load of aluminum shafts coming in the post because I tried the ones that came with my hankeys and they make the darts fly better , they are slimmer , hankeys uses them , i've hit 3 180's in 2 days and they look better. it might cost me more but I don't care as long as I'm improving
Try the quivers they bend out of the way and are very slim
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
jamie373

jamie373

PostSubject: Re: Why I dislike metal stems ! and prefer nylon    Why I dislike metal stems ! and prefer nylon  - Page 3 EmptyFri Nov 16, 2012 7:43 pm

cheers G i was looking at them as well probably try them next. i think it was big gun that posted a picture of a 180 and the shafts where flexed right out. they look good
Back to top Go down
DIRTY G

DIRTY G

PostSubject: Re: Why I dislike metal stems ! and prefer nylon    Why I dislike metal stems ! and prefer nylon  - Page 3 EmptyFri Nov 16, 2012 7:59 pm

amen to that. If only i used long stems they would be the goto stem for me. and the fact that you can cut them is great. spare tops wont break the bank either. and I think you will get a lifetime outa the stems being made if a semi flex compund they shouldnt break off in the barrel to easy. I think with a bit of patience a few spare stems some sand paper and maybe a drill you could get them to spin when hit and they should popcorn (I like popcorn, it looks cool lol)
Back to top Go down
jamie373

jamie373

PostSubject: Re: Why I dislike metal stems ! and prefer nylon    Why I dislike metal stems ! and prefer nylon  - Page 3 EmptyFri Nov 16, 2012 8:28 pm

popcorn ? confused
Back to top Go down
DIRTY G

DIRTY G

PostSubject: Re: Why I dislike metal stems ! and prefer nylon    Why I dislike metal stems ! and prefer nylon  - Page 3 EmptyFri Nov 16, 2012 8:39 pm

when the flight pops off slPPING Laughing
Back to top Go down
jamie373

jamie373

PostSubject: Re: Why I dislike metal stems ! and prefer nylon    Why I dislike metal stems ! and prefer nylon  - Page 3 EmptyFri Nov 16, 2012 8:46 pm

of course yeah i knew that i just wanted to see if you knew Embarassed Laughing
Back to top Go down
DIRTY G

DIRTY G

PostSubject: Re: Why I dislike metal stems ! and prefer nylon    Why I dislike metal stems ! and prefer nylon  - Page 3 EmptyFri Nov 16, 2012 8:51 pm

yes the G is for geniyus, geenyus, genious, GENIUS!!! Laughing
Back to top Go down
jamie373

jamie373

PostSubject: Re: Why I dislike metal stems ! and prefer nylon    Why I dislike metal stems ! and prefer nylon  - Page 3 EmptyFri Nov 16, 2012 8:59 pm

oh i feel like bumping an old thread now cry laugh
Back to top Go down
Saber

Saber

PostSubject: Re: Why I dislike metal stems ! and prefer nylon    Why I dislike metal stems ! and prefer nylon  - Page 3 EmptySat Nov 17, 2012 3:26 am

Now take this ya piece of $@@#
Back to top Go down
getagrip

getagrip

PostSubject: Re: Why I dislike metal stems ! and prefer nylon    Why I dislike metal stems ! and prefer nylon  - Page 3 EmptySat Nov 17, 2012 3:40 am

cry laugh cry laugh cry laugh

Larry you are cracked!

I hope no one saw you doing that lol on floor
Back to top Go down
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dazdart
Rebel

Rebel

PostSubject: Re: Why I dislike metal stems ! and prefer nylon    Why I dislike metal stems ! and prefer nylon  - Page 3 EmptySat Nov 17, 2012 3:51 am

lol on floor

Damned stem never stood a chance!!! Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
USMC80

USMC80

PostSubject: Re: Why I dislike metal stems ! and prefer nylon    Why I dislike metal stems ! and prefer nylon  - Page 3 EmptySat Nov 17, 2012 3:52 am

Larry your are mental
Back to top Go down
Saber

Saber

PostSubject: Re: Why I dislike metal stems ! and prefer nylon    Why I dislike metal stems ! and prefer nylon  - Page 3 EmptySat Nov 17, 2012 4:24 am

wheres me meds ! lol its the one thing JD and I really agree on.
Back to top Go down
getagrip

getagrip

PostSubject: Re: Why I dislike metal stems ! and prefer nylon    Why I dislike metal stems ! and prefer nylon  - Page 3 EmptySat Nov 17, 2012 5:44 am

and it is not A-LOO-ME-NUM

its AL-U-MINI-YUM cry laugh
Back to top Go down
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dazdart
DIRTY G

DIRTY G

PostSubject: Re: Why I dislike metal stems ! and prefer nylon    Why I dislike metal stems ! and prefer nylon  - Page 3 EmptySat Nov 17, 2012 10:57 am

nice one larry, ya got one for 14g hankeys lol on floor
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Why I dislike metal stems ! and prefer nylon    Why I dislike metal stems ! and prefer nylon  - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Why I dislike metal stems ! and prefer nylon

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next