We have moved to www.dartsnutz.net
Darts Nutz forum has now moved to www.dartsnutz.net please register on that site instead.

Thanks!

Darts Nutz forum has now moved to www.dartsnutz.net please register on that site instead.

Thanks!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Re-register a new account there please

HomeLatest imagesWhats the POINT ? LPRegisterLog in

Photobucket

map1
Display Pagerank

Whats the POINT ?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin
Admin

Whats the POINT ? Empty
PostSubject: Whats the POINT ?   Whats the POINT ? EmptySun Feb 26, 2012 8:40 am

So we have a thread asking about stems and that got me thinking , How many of us play with the points supplied with the darts when new ? What points do you use and why ? Do you wish you had used a different kind ?
Back to top Go down
http://www.dartsnutz.com
Bovrilheid

Bovrilheid

Whats the POINT ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Whats the POINT ?   Whats the POINT ? EmptySun Feb 26, 2012 8:51 am

I change points to board grippers (aka board wreckers) when I buy new darts...always. No excuse for 60 on the floor when you really need it
Back to top Go down
Rebel

Rebel

Whats the POINT ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Whats the POINT ?   Whats the POINT ? EmptySun Feb 26, 2012 9:05 am

Always used the standard supplied points until I got a set of Steve Beaton Red Dragon a couple years ago.
The come with a knurled finger grip that I hooked onto right away, it really suited my throw so I bought a Unitool and a load of finger grip points and every time I got new darts I would swap the points even before I threw them, moved onto Diamond points and now just started on grooved Storm points.

Most standard points are fine but its personal preference, finger grips Storm points for me, well worth the extra £5 IMO.
Back to top Go down
USMC80

USMC80

Whats the POINT ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Whats the POINT ?   Whats the POINT ? EmptySun Feb 26, 2012 9:21 am

I just ordered a bunch of different ones to experiment with. finger grips, knurled and diamond. As soon as I get my repointer gonna try some out
Back to top Go down
CanadianBacon

CanadianBacon

Whats the POINT ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Whats the POINT ?   Whats the POINT ? EmptySun Feb 26, 2012 9:35 am

well i've got two sets of darts at the moment and used them both with their original points. the first were 24g whitlocks with standard silver and my others are perfect storms with storm points. i'm a big fan of the storm points. i've since changed the whitlocks to target laser cut simply out of boredom because my brother came and visited and he had a repointer and i got some free points with my storms. i cant really see much of a difference between the regular silver points and the target laser ones, but then again i rarely use them.

i also forgot to mention, when i was using the standard silver points on the whitlocks, i always had to sharpen my points. they blunted quite easily and if they hit a wire you could definitely see it on the bent point. with the storms i have not had to sharpen them after countless bounceouts and daily use for 2 months. i've only had to sharpen one dart lately because i had a bounceout when i was playing at a mate's house who had a very hard stone floor. very durable points.

my next darts are going to come with storms on them instead of the original points.
Back to top Go down
McInnis180

McInnis180

Whats the POINT ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Whats the POINT ?   Whats the POINT ? EmptySun Feb 26, 2012 10:14 am

Storm points just look alot nicer in the dart....that is the only difference! If you are sharpening your tips all the time than you have a crappy set!!! I had a set of tip made for my Hammerheads from Jeff Pickup....he said I will never have to sharpen them....It has been a couple of years! If you are playing in a room with concrete floors or what ever, than you will have a issue! But I do love the look of the storm points....bought a couple of sets but did not fit my darts!! They do not fit everything, so be careful! clink glasses
Back to top Go down
getagrip

getagrip

Whats the POINT ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Whats the POINT ?   Whats the POINT ? EmptySun Feb 26, 2012 8:06 pm

Well I never like those silver shiny points supplied on Unicorn darts mostly, unless they are roughed up they dont stick very well and my finger slides along the point. Prefer the bog standard black points as they same sticky.

Using target diamond points at present on my Target Sprints, at first the were very grippy and took an effort just to pull the darts out of the board. Now they have worn a little (or maybe the board has?) so they just feel like a normal set of points now.

I have darts with Storm points and I do think they look neater but not played with them a great deal so not sure on the performance of them.
Back to top Go down
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dazdart
Goofy

Goofy

Whats the POINT ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Whats the POINT ?   Whats the POINT ? EmptySun Feb 26, 2012 9:14 pm

I use tridents all the time so experimented with a set of storm points....... made the balance feel different in the dart and they flew slightly different so i went back to regular points, never have a problem with drop outs since my throw is quite powerful/forceful Smile Wouldnt want to try the fancy 'gripper' type points since they just destroy dartboards
Back to top Go down
http://tehbasement.com/forum.php
Saber

Saber

Whats the POINT ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Whats the POINT ?   Whats the POINT ? EmptyMon Feb 27, 2012 1:18 am

Bovrilheid wrote:
I change points to board grippers (aka board wreckers) when I buy new darts...always. No excuse for 60 on the floor when you really need it

OOOOh you da man Bo, thats what I use! 35mm ones. I was changing them on every dart but found I spend a lot of time doing that and when I swapped or sold them away they go, so now only change on darts me playing with . went almost 2 seasons without a bounce out. I always sharpen and scuff before every match btw. darts throw
Back to top Go down
madzkymadz

Whats the POINT ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Whats the POINT ?   Whats the POINT ? EmptyMon Feb 27, 2012 1:42 pm

My 1st set of darts my dad gave to me was long-pointed and now I used standard points.
Back to top Go down
Saber

Saber

Whats the POINT ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Whats the POINT ?   Whats the POINT ? EmptyWed May 02, 2012 2:23 am

They got some points out there that is longer than me barrel lol
Back to top Go down
rumandcork

rumandcork

Whats the POINT ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Whats the POINT ?   Whats the POINT ? EmptyMon May 21, 2012 2:04 pm

the factory black points from red dragon are the best i've used and all mine are smooth. i've got a set of old halex's in the box that probably have a million throws on them and the points still look new. on the other hand i have a set of nodor's that are 4 months old that look horrible.
Back to top Go down
Lefty544

Lefty544

Whats the POINT ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Whats the POINT ?   Whats the POINT ? EmptyTue May 22, 2012 3:16 am

I use whatever points come with the darts. The McCoys I throw with have standard black tips and they are just fine at sticking in the board. Diamond points are a personal favorite. So, when my factory points start to give way and not hold on as well I will swap them out. The skill level that I am at right now doesn't justify me being that picky with my setup unfortunately.
Back to top Go down
USMC80

USMC80

Whats the POINT ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Whats the POINT ?   Whats the POINT ? EmptyTue May 22, 2012 3:18 am

Diamond points or Storms with finger grip. Simply because my finger is on the point.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Whats the POINT ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Whats the POINT ?   Whats the POINT ? Empty

Back to top Go down

Whats the POINT ?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1