We have moved to www.dartsnutz.net
Darts Nutz forum has now moved to www.dartsnutz.net please register on that site instead.

Thanks!

Darts Nutz forum has now moved to www.dartsnutz.net please register on that site instead.

Thanks!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Re-register a new account there please

HomeLatest imagesBest Flights - Page 3 LPRegisterLog in

Photobucket

map1
Display Pagerank

Best Flights

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
ochejockey

Best Flights - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best Flights   Best Flights - Page 3 EmptyThu Apr 12, 2012 2:38 pm

getagrip wrote:
Ya cheapskate! :P

Ruthless 4x flights are pretty strong.

Agreed. I like Ruthless and Pentathlon. I throw 26g Phase IIs and I only have to change them out for wear and tear every few weeks. I'll often hang on to the beaten up ones and use them for practice until they're broken. They use to break at the front point from nailing the back of them when I used metal shafts. Now that I use nylon, that rarely happens. For their relative cheapness and lifespan, they're unbeatable unless you can show me that a different brand/material will make my darts more accurate.
Back to top Go down
ochejockey

PostSubject: Re: Best Flights   Best Flights - Page 3 EmptyThu Apr 12, 2012 2:43 pm

Has anyone else tried the Pentathlon XXX flights? They're like two kites fit back to back and overlapped slightly (pointed tip at both ends). They seem really, really stable.
Back to top Go down
getagrip

getagrip

PostSubject: Re: Best Flights   Best Flights - Page 3 EmptyThu Apr 12, 2012 7:02 pm

ochejockey wrote:
Has anyone else tried the Pentathlon XXX flights? They're like two kites fit back to back and overlapped slightly (pointed tip at both ends). They seem really, really stable.

Not tried them but they sound good, strange shape, here's a link:

http://www.a-zdarts.com/Products/Pentathlon-white-Triple-X-Dart-Flights__90-2475.aspx
Back to top Go down
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dazdart
ochejockey

PostSubject: Re: Best Flights   Best Flights - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 13, 2012 1:08 pm

getagrip wrote:
ochejockey wrote:

Not tried them but they sound good, strange shape, here's a link:

http://www.a-zdarts.com/Products/Pentathlon-white-Triple-X-Dart-Flights__90-2475.aspx

No. I got a set and that's where I got them. I've thrown with them a bit. I think I like them. Would seem to have almost double the surface area of a kite with the same sized cross-section. Main drawback, like the V-wings, they're longer than other flights and may pose a problem striking your face on the drawback.
Back to top Go down
getagrip

getagrip

PostSubject: Re: Best Flights   Best Flights - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 13, 2012 11:00 pm

Seems like that shape is not a new shape then, I just got these old Unicorn flights from the 1970's or early 1980's and they are a rigid type of plastic and called Novaplume:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
ochejockey

PostSubject: Re: Best Flights   Best Flights - Page 3 EmptySat Apr 14, 2012 7:19 am

[quote="getagrip"]Seems like that shape is not a new shape then, I just got these old Unicorn flights from the 1970's or early 1980's and they are a rigid type of plastic and called Novaplume:

I marvel at the collections you guys amass! head spin

These possibly may be slightly more elongated and tapered, but that is definitely the shape!
Back to top Go down
Chalk Is Cheap

PostSubject: Re: Best Flights   Best Flights - Page 3 EmptySat Apr 14, 2012 8:08 am

Well I have to update my review of the Cosmo's a little as I finally had a chance to have an extended practice session with them last night. Unfortunately for me, even after reading that you have to scuff up the trailing edges to prevent splitting, I managed to split one flight and badly ding another in a single throw. My third throw while warming up... Sad

So I scuffed the hell out of them and took a lighter to the split one to try to "weld" it back together. I managed to mangle it pretty badly, but got it back into a reasonably flight-worthy shape again.

Threw for a couple of hours with no serious issues but for those that have missed it: with the standard thickness (I haven't tried the AIR yet) you MUST SCUFF THE TRAILING EDGE OF THE FLIGHT. To the point that it's rounded I guess instead of that razor edge they manufacture it with.

Still a wonderful product but had I actually destroyed one of them, and not been forewarned about that sharp edge, I'd have dumped them in the bin and never looked any further at the product line.

Your mileage may vary.
Back to top Go down
Ivefoundgod

Ivefoundgod

PostSubject: Re: Best Flights   Best Flights - Page 3 EmptySat Apr 14, 2012 8:43 am

Seems everyone has differing experiences with the Cosmos, lots on here swear by them, i've never seen the point personally. A friend got them and they didn't last too long at all and for the price I can get enough flights and stems to last me months.

I usually use plain coloured extra strong flights, R4X, Amazon etc. have no real preference. I tried the Unicorn Core flights before and while they looked nice on my darts they didn't last too long. Target extra strong flights are probably my favourites, both looks wise and because of how long they last me. I've had a set on for close to a month now and they're still fine. Tridents are especially good I found for protecting the flight. Could be because I throw such light darts as I've a friend who destroys flights every night.

I think the life of a flight is dictated by a couple of factors, particularly the nose of the dart, weight and grip pattern.
Back to top Go down
Chalk Is Cheap

PostSubject: Re: Best Flights   Best Flights - Page 3 EmptySat Apr 14, 2012 8:53 am

Ivefoundgod wrote:
Seems everyone has differing experiences with the Cosmos, lots on here swear by them, i've never seen the point personally. A friend got them and they didn't last too long at all and for the price I can get enough flights and stems to last me months.

I usually use plain coloured extra strong flights, R4X, Amazon etc. have no real preference. I tried the Unicorn Core flights before and while they looked nice on my darts they didn't last too long. Target extra strong flights are probably my favourites, both looks wise and because of how long they last me. I've had a set on for close to a month now and they're still fine. Tridents are especially good I found for protecting the flight. Could be because I throw such light darts as I've a friend who destroys flights every night.

I think the life of a flight is dictated by a couple of factors, particularly the nose of the dart, weight and grip pattern.

I tried them mainly because I hoped to find a flight that I could put back on easily if it pops off. My eyes aren't so great anymore and trying to thread one back on during a match is tough. The Cosmos just pop right back on, so I thought they'd be pretty good. I still think they're a good product but I'm like you. A set of regular Ruthless flights with a Trident 180 will last me the better part of a month so I'm definitely not sold on the Cosmos just yet.

I do like the idea of a spinner and the Cosmo (and the L style by the way) are very, very good compared to all the others I've tried that rattle and shiver when thrown.

Anyway, I may try nylons with glued in flights next. That's probably the most cost effect solution for my pop-off problem.

Cheers!
Back to top Go down
USMC80

USMC80

PostSubject: Re: Best Flights   Best Flights - Page 3 EmptySat Apr 14, 2012 8:58 am

Love the cosmos, but enough is enough. I am on my last set. Just bought a punch, whizlock system and a crap load of rings and flights for the same price as 4 sets of cosmos. Was spending close to 50 a month on the crap
Back to top Go down
Ivefoundgod

Ivefoundgod

PostSubject: Re: Best Flights   Best Flights - Page 3 EmptySat Apr 14, 2012 10:52 am

Yeah that seems to be the general consensus now, just not worth the money at this point, maybe in a couple of years when the prices go down. I'd love to know how much they cost to produce because the mark up seems ridiculous, I could understand it if they lasted significantly longer, say 2 months but they clearly don't. The mate on my team who got them severely damaged a flight the first night he got them and in the first league game with them he couldn't throw with them because he didn't bring a spare flight and broke one in the warm up. That to me is a sign of inferior product.
Back to top Go down
getagrip

getagrip

PostSubject: Re: Best Flights   Best Flights - Page 3 EmptySat Apr 14, 2012 7:20 pm

The easy pop on process of the cosmos is also one of the features I like about them too, but it is getting hard to justify the expense sadly.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Best Flights   Best Flights - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Best Flights

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3