We have moved to www.dartsnutz.net
Darts Nutz forum has now moved to www.dartsnutz.net please register on that site instead.

Thanks!

Darts Nutz forum has now moved to www.dartsnutz.net please register on that site instead.

Thanks!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Re-register a new account there please

HomeLatest imagesFlights  LPRegisterLog in

Photobucket

map1
Display Pagerank

Flights

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage

Flights  Empty
PostSubject: Flights    Flights  EmptyThu Oct 18, 2012 2:45 am

quick question for you guys ive always wanted to try dimplex flights but have never got round to it whats the difference in them from standard
extra strong or poly flights ???
Back to top Go down

Flights  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flights    Flights  EmptyThu Oct 18, 2012 2:48 am

Dimplex seems to last about a day before they get thrashed. Sad
Back to top Go down

Flights  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flights    Flights  EmptyThu Oct 18, 2012 2:51 am

really ?? i just wondered if there was any difference in how they make the dart fly
Back to top Go down
spat66

spat66

Flights  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flights    Flights  EmptyThu Oct 18, 2012 2:54 am

I see no difference in how they fly - and like JD said they tear up quick!
Back to top Go down
hamo

hamo

Flights  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flights    Flights  EmptyThu Oct 18, 2012 2:56 am

I always thought the dimples were to help the flight of the dart similar to a golf ball but found this on another forum so ignore any names etc, im not losing the plot Laughing

You guys have opened a bit of a Pandora’s box here! I’ll be looking at the aerodynamics of flights in the future, so for the moment I’ll just confirm that Chris is right in suspecting that the dimples won’t do much for the drag. Without getting too technical and going on about super and sub-critical Reynolds numbers and other aerodynamicist jargon, it’s worth explaining that spheres in general (and golf balls in particular) are a very special case where, under the right circumstances, surface roughness can make a huge difference to drag by minimising the extent of the low-pressure wake. This can reduce the drag coefficient by as much as a factor of four, which is why a golf ball without dimples wouldn’t go very far.

For darts, on the other hand, aerodynamic drag is actually not that significant a factor - rigidity and flatness of the flights are much more important, as Warren seems to have been told. At the risk of confusing the situation, I could add that some past research had suggested that roughness might help the air flow over insect wings, which are similar in scale to dart flights, whereas on aircraft wings, for example, it generally makes it worse. However, more recent work has not really supported that theory.

Back to top Go down

Flights  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flights    Flights  EmptyThu Oct 18, 2012 3:17 am

cheers the the imput guys
Back to top Go down
DIRTY G

DIRTY G

Flights  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flights    Flights  EmptyThu Oct 18, 2012 3:39 am

O.M.G.
I thought you guy's were profesionals!!!!

Look at the bloody thing It is smaller it is going to work different.

Im to drunk 2 get int this now so in the werds of arny "ill be back"

rebel smilie

I fixed it better admin

Last edited by DIRTY G on Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:15 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : language)
Back to top Go down
spat66

spat66

Flights  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flights    Flights  EmptyThu Oct 18, 2012 3:40 am

I wanna go drinking with Dirty G !
Back to top Go down
DIRTY G

DIRTY G

Flights  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flights    Flights  EmptyThu Oct 18, 2012 3:47 am

whoul you belive I just came back from filling in for SUMMER darts and had the best games of my life lol!
Back to top Go down
m1ghty

m1ghty

Flights  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flights    Flights  EmptyThu Oct 18, 2012 4:30 am

maybe its in my head but i think they actually slow my dart down. consistantly miss low with dimplex.
Back to top Go down
Watsontotty

Flights  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flights    Flights  EmptyThu Oct 18, 2012 5:14 am

Don't see any difference at all or any benefit and i don't rate them and wont use them again.
Back to top Go down
Saber

Saber

Flights  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flights    Flights  EmptyThu Oct 18, 2012 5:18 am

I can use any flight and it makes absolutely no difference in how my dart lands. I will say the super slims would not be for me though. I prefer a standard flight for the stability it gives me. If that makes any sense.
Back to top Go down
spat66

spat66

Flights  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flights    Flights  EmptyThu Oct 18, 2012 6:25 am

I agree Larry - flights make very little difference. The standards just get in the way for me - too big, but they don't seem to change how my dart lands in the board.
Back to top Go down
Lefty544

Lefty544

Flights  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flights    Flights  EmptyThu Oct 18, 2012 7:12 am

I don't notice a difference in flight between dimplex and others. I happen to like them because they are not very expensive and are more durable than other flights I have used.
Back to top Go down
Watsontotty

Flights  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flights    Flights  EmptyThu Oct 18, 2012 7:19 am

Different shape flight do make a difference its a case of seeing what suits your throw, in regards to the material flights are made of i see no difference at all. My darts are better suited to either pear flights or the sigma style flights which is what i currently use.

If the flights aren't right in regards to shape then i get more action on the dart and more drift and wobble but with the correct shape flight then i get a more smooth action on the dart and a more reliable flight path.
Back to top Go down
jake8380

jake8380

Flights  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flights    Flights  EmptyThu Oct 18, 2012 7:39 am

There is actually a difference. Most will not notice these differences unless you make significant changes in flight surface area in one step. Say going from a standard flight with a wing surface area of 32.88 to a slim with a surface area of 25.58.

If you took a standard flight and threw 3-5 rounds then switched to the slim and threw another 3-5 round, you (or most) would notice a difference.

A dart like any projectile works against gravity and they all have a parabolic curve (Arc) in common. Though this curve is different for different velocities, any projectile has a curve.

A flights job is to do two things, 1: stabilize the dart and 2: give consistency in "your" throw.

This is where shape, size, pattern and wing surface come into play. It allows you to tune your equipment for the throw you have.

The dimplex design was originally created to create extra durability and more rigidity to the flight; same with nylon flights. It was found that they actually created more drag then a similar shape with the same wing surface area.

Some will say bah BS they are all the same! But basic aerodynamic principles and law of gravity prove other wise. It is just that some can't really tell the difference.

If you can tell the difference (I can), you can use flights to tweak and fine tune your equipment to fit you and how "you" throw.

On a personal note I do not care for dimplex flights because it seems they are more prone to chipping and tearing.
Back to top Go down
Watsontotty

Flights  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flights    Flights  EmptyThu Oct 18, 2012 7:49 am

so basically a more long winded and a technical version of my last post lol !
Back to top Go down
getagrip

getagrip

Flights  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flights    Flights  EmptyThu Oct 18, 2012 8:14 am

cant get a more stable flight than using feathers I read last night in an old darts mag, so feathers is best, even with just 3 wings they provide more stability. But they are expensive.

Back to top Go down
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dazdart
jake8380

jake8380

Flights  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flights    Flights  EmptyThu Oct 18, 2012 9:04 am

getagrip wrote:
cant get a more stable flight than using feathers I read last night in an old darts mag, so feathers is best, even with just 3 wings they provide more stability. But they are expensive.

cry laugh

I just read in an old magazine that the new brass barrel darts are better than wooden barrel darts! So Brass must be the way to go!
Back to top Go down
Jimbo21

Jimbo21

Flights  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flights    Flights  EmptyThu Oct 18, 2012 9:20 am

I throw my darts pretty hard, so I dont think my darts stay in the air long enough for anything special to happen.
Back to top Go down

Flights  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flights    Flights  EmptyThu Oct 18, 2012 9:52 am

i can only think of one pro player who uses dimplex and thats scott waites ??
Back to top Go down
jake8380

jake8380

Flights  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flights    Flights  EmptyThu Oct 18, 2012 10:07 am

lion180 wrote:
i can only think of one pro player who uses dimplex and thats scott waites ??

That's what makes this game so great. What one loves others hate, what works for some does not work for others. You have to experiment and find your own way and what gives you the best consistency for your game. That is the most important aspect is what works for you...

Back to top Go down
DIRTY G

DIRTY G

Flights  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flights    Flights  EmptyThu Oct 18, 2012 5:02 pm

Watsontotty wrote:
Different shape flight do make a difference its a case of seeing what suits your throw, in regards to the material flights are made of i see no difference at all. My darts are better suited to either pear flights or the sigma style flights which is what i currently use.

If the flights aren't right in regards to shape then i get more action on the dart and more drift and wobble but with the correct shape flight then i get a more smooth action on the dart and a more reliable flight path.

jake8380 wrote:
There is actually a difference. Most will not notice these differences unless you make significant changes in flight surface area in one step. Say going from a standard flight with a wing surface area of 32.88 to a slim with a surface area of 25.58.

If you took a standard flight and threw 3-5 rounds then switched to the slim and threw another 3-5 round, you (or most) would notice a difference.

A dart like any projectile works against gravity and they all have a parabolic curve (Arc) in common. Though this curve is different for different velocities, any projectile has a curve.

A flights job is to do two things, 1: stabilize the dart and 2: give consistency in "your" throw.

This is where shape, size, pattern and wing surface come into play. It allows you to tune your equipment for the throw you have.

The dimplex design was originally created to create extra durability and more rigidity to the flight; same with nylon flights. It was found that they actually created more drag then a similar shape with the same wing surface area.

Some will say bah BS they are all the same! But basic aerodynamic principles and law of gravity prove other wise. It is just that some can't really tell the difference.

If you can tell the difference (I can), you can use flights to tweak and fine tune your equipment to fit you and how "you" throw.

On a personal note I do not care for dimplex flights because it seems they are more prone to chipping and tearing.

A thumb up to both of you.

Ever notice that when you try and square up a dimplex that they all have a little twist in them (like a prop).

Try this little experiment (seems to work more noticable with shorter stems).

Get a set of kites and turn one around the other way and your dart will land flatter (for people with a similar throw to mine anyway).

It is the same surface area but you get a different result. Ok I know that by turning it around effectively makes the stem shorter but it is food for thought and it looks cool Very Happy
This little experiment made me change to pears. the kites drooped a little the backward kite hung low and the pear's sit flat (for me anyway).

I quite like the dimetions of the dimplex flight and just wish RUTHLESS (or similar quality flights) would make a slightly smaller standard flight, I think they should have 3 or 4 sizes in each shape. It seems that they always go from one extreem to the other. e.g. when the say "small standard shape flight" they are not kiding.

Ruthless happens to be making dimpled flights now to and they dont have that twist in them

[img][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][/img]

A smaller flight makes your dart faster aswell. try using slims from the 9ft mark opposed to standards and see what happens.

All these weird and wonderfull shapes and sizes allow us to fine tune our darts to ones personal needs.

I read somewere on a Unicorn history page thingy that (dont quote me word for word):
when asked why they make so many darts they replied "We make so many darts because the darts are made to CORRECT a players mistakes and everyone makes different mistakes"

The same whould hold true to ones personal preferance to stem length and flight shape or size.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Flights  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flights    Flights  Empty

Back to top Go down

Flights

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
We have moved to www.dartsnutz.net :: General Darts Chat :: Equipment Chat-