We have moved to www.dartsnutz.net
Darts Nutz forum has now moved to www.dartsnutz.net please register on that site instead.

Thanks!

Darts Nutz forum has now moved to www.dartsnutz.net please register on that site instead.

Thanks!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Re-register a new account there please

HomeLatest imagesDo You Practice or play with tattered flights or stems ? LPRegisterLog in

Photobucket

map1
Display Pagerank

Do You Practice or play with tattered flights or stems ?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Saber

Saber

Do You Practice or play with tattered flights or stems ? Empty
PostSubject: Do You Practice or play with tattered flights or stems ?   Do You Practice or play with tattered flights or stems ? EmptySun Apr 22, 2012 6:21 am

I have heard some people say they play with tattered flights (practice) until there is just nothing left. I won't do that !! Now a slight imperfection on say a cosmo set up I will use for awhile but normally any rips or frays and they go to the trash. I reason that they will eventually fly differently and I really don't need that ! Practicing for hours with a ripped flight or slightly bent shaft to me is bad,bad, bad. In league play I check constantly my stems and flights for imperfections and if found trash they go. I have seen players play with bent medal stems that they keep straightening Something to think about, what say you ?
Back to top Go down
USMC80

USMC80

PostSubject: Re: Do You Practice or play with tattered flights or stems ?   Do You Practice or play with tattered flights or stems ? EmptySun Apr 22, 2012 6:27 am

Flight condition doesn't bother me. I've had some excellent legs and triple bulls/180's with cosmos that were missing complete sides. Maybe because of my throw?
Back to top Go down
Saber

Saber

PostSubject: Re: Do You Practice or play with tattered flights or stems ?   Do You Practice or play with tattered flights or stems ? EmptySun Apr 22, 2012 7:39 am

Well Mac you may be the exception, for me thats a no,no.
Back to top Go down
getagrip

getagrip

PostSubject: Re: Do You Practice or play with tattered flights or stems ?   Do You Practice or play with tattered flights or stems ? EmptySun Apr 22, 2012 8:19 am

To be honest sometimes I do leave the battered flights on, but not stems, having said that they dont stay on too long. Once the edges are all bent and mangled I may leave them for the rest of my practice and sometimes they may get used on my nest session but after that they are binned for some new ones.
Back to top Go down
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dazdart
rumandcork

rumandcork

PostSubject: Re: Do You Practice or play with tattered flights or stems ?   Do You Practice or play with tattered flights or stems ? EmptySun Apr 22, 2012 10:29 am

I dont play with tattered stems. flights are a different story. I'm quite superstitious and if im playing well with a certain flight i'll leave it on as long as possible. Once the flight ends get crunched or split i toss em. The only time i keep a set of busted flights is to comemorate something well done. In other words i retire them, for example earlier this week i hit a 170 in a game with my brother.They were retired!
Back to top Go down
x2v

x2v

PostSubject: Re: Do You Practice or play with tattered flights or stems ?   Do You Practice or play with tattered flights or stems ? EmptySun Apr 22, 2012 10:54 am

I've hit a 180s with a quarter of the flight missing and 3 pronged shafts, so It doesn't really bother me.

I hardly notice any difference in flight performance either. Maybe its because I throw the dart with allot of force, I don't know.

They only get replaced when they eventually split in half or are missing a section.
But ofcourse for matches I always use perfect conditioned ones.
Back to top Go down
mc1958

mc1958

PostSubject: Re: Do You Practice or play with tattered flights or stems ?   Do You Practice or play with tattered flights or stems ? EmptySun Apr 22, 2012 5:36 pm

If they were like the ones Mac posted the pic of then I would have thrown them out long before lol. If there's only a little tear or small chuck out the flight then I'll even use them in matches
Back to top Go down
chrisbamb

PostSubject: Re: Do You Practice or play with tattered flights or stems ?   Do You Practice or play with tattered flights or stems ? EmptySun Apr 22, 2012 11:20 pm

I played last week with a 3 finned flight after completely shaving 1 fin off with one of the other darts. Having had a Homer moment and forgetting my spare stuff I carried on with it and to be honest suffered no drop off in scoring. In fact, that particular dart dropped into the T19 on 7 out of 8 occasions that I went for it with it.

Although, that said, if I'm playing a League match I will change my flights before setting off to the club.
Back to top Go down
getagrip

getagrip

PostSubject: Re: Do You Practice or play with tattered flights or stems ?   Do You Practice or play with tattered flights or stems ? EmptySun Apr 22, 2012 11:42 pm

chrisbamb wrote:
I played last week with a 3 finned flight after completely shaving 1 fin off with one of the other darts. Having had a Homer moment and forgetting my spare stuff I carried on with it and to be honest suffered no drop off in scoring. In fact, that particular dart dropped into the T19 on 7 out of 8 occasions that I went for it with it.

Although, that said, if I'm playing a League match I will change my flights before setting off to the club.

Hmm, they do have tri - fin flights, but thats give me an idea, think I will cut some flight up and leave just 2 wings on and see what happens. Smile
Back to top Go down
mc1958

mc1958

PostSubject: Re: Do You Practice or play with tattered flights or stems ?   Do You Practice or play with tattered flights or stems ? EmptySun Apr 22, 2012 11:49 pm

The optimum number of fins for a flight is either 3 or 5 - I think darts only have 4 because it is in the middle. As for trying 2 fins, I would put up a backboard if you try this Darren as I would be impressed if they flew lol.
Back to top Go down
USMC80

USMC80

PostSubject: Re: Do You Practice or play with tattered flights or stems ?   Do You Practice or play with tattered flights or stems ? EmptyMon Apr 23, 2012 12:03 am

mc1958 wrote:
If they were like the ones Mac posted the pic of then I would have thrown them out long before lol. If there's only a little tear or small chuck out the flight then I'll even use them in matches

Ahhh yes these

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Had a good run of 180's and a triple bull with em
Back to top Go down
mc1958

mc1958

PostSubject: Re: Do You Practice or play with tattered flights or stems ?   Do You Practice or play with tattered flights or stems ? EmptyMon Apr 23, 2012 12:06 am

Them's the ones lol
Back to top Go down
getagrip

getagrip

PostSubject: Re: Do You Practice or play with tattered flights or stems ?   Do You Practice or play with tattered flights or stems ? EmptyMon Apr 23, 2012 12:09 am

mc1958 wrote:
The optimum number of fins for a flight is either 3 or 5 - I think darts only have 4 because it is in the middle. As for trying 2 fins, I would put up a backboard if you try this Darren as I would be impressed if they flew lol.

What ya saying Mike? lol!

I know what ya mean, but if you think about it I bet someone who is really good and has a forceful throw, could probably throw their darts without any flights, I think George even did it once with just a piece of string on the end of the stem!!! affraid
Back to top Go down
chrisbamb

PostSubject: Re: Do You Practice or play with tattered flights or stems ?   Do You Practice or play with tattered flights or stems ? EmptyMon Apr 23, 2012 2:43 am

What you on about Mike?? Grip has a backboard when he uses darts with 4 fins on them!! cry laugh
Back to top Go down
getagrip

getagrip

PostSubject: Re: Do You Practice or play with tattered flights or stems ?   Do You Practice or play with tattered flights or stems ? EmptyMon Apr 23, 2012 2:59 am

chrisbamb wrote:
What you on about Mike?? Grip has a backboard when he uses darts with 4 fins on them!! cry laugh

True, I do! in fact every where is covered with rubber mats or bits of wood, lol!
Back to top Go down
ochejockey

PostSubject: Re: Do You Practice or play with tattered flights or stems ?   Do You Practice or play with tattered flights or stems ? EmptyTue Apr 24, 2012 5:28 am

As far as stems go, I don't mind them being battered. Just as I don't think those stems with the machined notches in various patterns make any difference in your dart's flight. Bent stems are different. That was the main reason I stopped using metal stems. For the typical recreational dart thrower, I don't think bent stems make much difference to them. For those of us expecting to "put the dart in the hole" it very well might. I'll play with flights that get their back edges blunted for awhile. I'll practice with them until I break or bend them. If I take a chunk out of them or crack them, I won't play with them. For the short distance we throw the dart, we probably make too much out of the shape and condition of the flight, but like everything else the most significant affect the flight has is on our confidence. If you feel confident with your flights, keeping throwing them. If you're worried it might have a negative effect, change them.
Back to top Go down
Chalk Is Cheap

PostSubject: Re: Do You Practice or play with tattered flights or stems ?   Do You Practice or play with tattered flights or stems ? EmptyTue Apr 24, 2012 6:35 am

I'll use tattered flights (in practice) without too much worry as long as they aren't so bad that they won't hold the + shape any longer, but I'll replace a stem if the flight keeps popping out. Can't abide that. Smile

Fresh everything for league night though.
Back to top Go down
rumandcork

rumandcork

PostSubject: Re: Do You Practice or play with tattered flights or stems ?   Do You Practice or play with tattered flights or stems ? EmptyTue Apr 24, 2012 6:41 am

ochejockey wrote:
As far as stems go, I don't mind them being battered. Just as I don't think those stems with the machined notches in various patterns make any difference in your dart's flight. Bent stems are different. That was the main reason I stopped using metal stems. For the typical recreational dart thrower, I don't think bent stems make much difference to them. For those of us expecting to "put the dart in the hole" it very well might. I'll play with flights that get their back edges blunted for awhile. I'll practice with them until I break or bend them. If I take a chunk out of them or crack them, I won't play with them. For the short distance we throw the dart, we probably make too much out of the shape and condition of the flight, d]]but like everything else the most significant affect the flight has is on our confidence. If you feel confident with your flights, keeping throwing them. If you're worried it might have a negative effect, change them.[/b]

well said.
Back to top Go down
Lefty544

Lefty544

PostSubject: Re: Do You Practice or play with tattered flights or stems ?   Do You Practice or play with tattered flights or stems ? EmptyTue Apr 24, 2012 7:15 am

I will play with tattered flights and stems that are missing one of the pins that hold the flight in. I will throw them out once they become severely battered. I haven't been able to distinguish enough of a difference in my throw between a perfect flight/stem or battered flight/stem to really justify throwing them in the garbage right away. I even lean towards wanting to keep battered flights longer because they offer character especially when I find that I am shooting well with them.
Back to top Go down
the_cutter

the_cutter

PostSubject: Re: Do You Practice or play with tattered flights or stems ?   Do You Practice or play with tattered flights or stems ? EmptySun Apr 29, 2012 11:31 pm

I play with battered flights since I only practice. I got high scores with them, so unless a fin gets ripped, they'll stay on the darts.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Do You Practice or play with tattered flights or stems ?   Do You Practice or play with tattered flights or stems ? Empty

Back to top Go down

Do You Practice or play with tattered flights or stems ?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1