We have moved to www.dartsnutz.net
Darts Nutz forum has now moved to www.dartsnutz.net please register on that site instead.

Thanks!

Darts Nutz forum has now moved to www.dartsnutz.net please register on that site instead.

Thanks!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Re-register a new account there please

HomeLatest imagesNew Style Dartboard LPRegisterLog in

Photobucket

map1
Display Pagerank

New Style Dartboard

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
spat66

spat66

New Style Dartboard Empty
PostSubject: New Style Dartboard   New Style Dartboard EmptyFri Jan 04, 2013 1:54 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Kind of interesting
Back to top Go down
habanerojooz

PostSubject: Re: New Style Dartboard   New Style Dartboard EmptyFri Jan 04, 2013 3:08 am

Very interesting.

We've known for many years that directing a beginner throw at the 14 in an '01 game is the best chance for scoring. But in most situations, we hesitate to offer this guidance as it may be taken in the wrong way.

From the looks of it, most of the primary scoring numbers stayed in the same place. IMO, this will reduce the moaning as the better players will not be impacted very much by this change and they may be less vocal about it.

The UK and European players play mainly '01. The primary scoring numbers (20,19,18) did not move and the better UK and EU players may not have too much of an issue with this board.

But the US players play a lot of Cricket and the Cricket numbers (17, 16, and 15) have moved. I expect more backlash from US players on this board.

It will be interesting to hear what the general public says.

Back to top Go down
getagrip

getagrip

PostSubject: Re: New Style Dartboard   New Style Dartboard EmptyFri Jan 04, 2013 3:30 am

makes me wonder if there was much thought in the way the board was originally designed or was it mostly by accident?
Back to top Go down
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dazdart
dannyd180

dannyd180

PostSubject: Re: New Style Dartboard   New Style Dartboard EmptyFri Jan 04, 2013 3:41 am

Haven't read the article as for some reason it won't open on my work PC.

I have heard about this before, and to be honest, in my opinion it is just some pointless research which will never amount to anything.

I like anybody else find it frustrating when a novice friedn challenges you to a game and suddently hits T14 T18 etc etc, but what difference does that make to the professional, competitive game........none whatsoever, and I really cant see the outcome of this research affecting the darts game as we know it.

I can't agree with the point above relating to the main scoring segments (T20, T19, T18), as in all ton plus checkouts, all trebles from 11 upwards will be factored in somewhere. Also don't forget, more important than trebles, are doubles. can you imagine professionals such as Wade, being told that because of some researcher that has never played darts in his life, that D10 will now be somewhere else on the board.

We have all gotten used to playing darts with the current layout, and know exactly where to look on an outshot, if one dart doesn't land where we want it, and that is from years of playing and instict. Just imagine how this would affect some of the fast throwing rythym players like van gerwen, van der voort etc.

What a load of nonsense if you ask me!!!
Back to top Go down
USMC80

USMC80

PostSubject: Re: New Style Dartboard   New Style Dartboard EmptyFri Jan 04, 2013 3:43 am

I have to agree with Danny. Yes it can be frustrating when a beginner splashes a ton of trips. But any decent player is still going to win with consistent scoring and hitting doubles
Back to top Go down
habanerojooz

PostSubject: Re: New Style Dartboard   New Style Dartboard EmptyFri Jan 04, 2013 4:06 am

I agree that everybody would be affected, but my point was that '01 players may moan less than Cricket players.

In the end, the game of darts is followed and played by those who are heavy traditionalists. Any change, no matter how big or how small, will be frowned upon.

Back to top Go down
USMC80

USMC80

PostSubject: Re: New Style Dartboard   New Style Dartboard EmptyFri Jan 04, 2013 4:08 am

True although cricket the only major adjustment would be the 16 from what i can see. But yes definitely hear more from cricket players
Back to top Go down
mc1958

mc1958

PostSubject: Re: New Style Dartboard   New Style Dartboard EmptyFri Jan 04, 2013 4:23 am

I haven't read the article, but any novice player is still liable to drop into one of the bigger scoring trebles wherever you move them to.
Back to top Go down
spat66

spat66

PostSubject: Re: New Style Dartboard   New Style Dartboard EmptyFri Jan 04, 2013 4:27 am

I guess I don't see the adjustment part other than knowing instinctively where the number is on the board. You have a target -you throw at it wherever it is on the board. I've never understood people that think it doesn't do any good to practice throwing say D7 or any number not typical. To me it doesn't where the number is on the board - it's a target and if your any good you should be able to make the shot. Don't know if that makes any sense to anyone -maybe just my feeble mind!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New Style Dartboard   New Style Dartboard EmptyFri Jan 04, 2013 4:55 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
JohnK

PostSubject: Re: New Style Dartboard   New Style Dartboard EmptyFri Jan 04, 2013 4:57 am

Hi think I may have to disagree with hab a little on this one, as far as '01 players being affected less than Cricket players. From the looks of the board, the only different target a Cricket player would have to shoot at would be the 16, which is now in the former 12 place. So that's only one new target.

Granted, there is probably a flow issue. As a Cricket player, you get used to switching from certain numbers to others... 17 to 16 to 15 for instance. So that flow would be disrupted and you would have to get used to switching around the board in a different pattern. I know, for example, that I have gotten really good at hitting T16 and T15 in order just through the repetition over time. That would have to be relearned.

But for an '01 player, all of the finishing strategies that have been learned and programmed into his/her mind over the years would have to be re-examined. I know personally, that many of my finishing strategies rely not only on the specific target I want to hit, but also on the numbers surrounding my target. "Safety Shots", if you will. For example, on a 105 I'll shoot 20's first, knowing that a miss into the 5 or 1 will still leave me an out. That is gone now. The 6-10 and 16-8 pies are gone, as well as the ever-useful 7-19-3. New finishing strategies would have to be devised, and new patterns learned over time. The location of the doubles are different, but I think that is a minor issue compared with new finishing setups.

That's why I think the new style would mess up an '01 player more. For a cricket player, most of the targets are still the same (the first half of the game is identical), and the strategies are still the same. Just a change in flow switching from target to target in the bottom half of the game.

For an '01 player, this board messes with a fundamental aspect of the game - finishing strategy. There wouldn't be much difference until the scores get below 170. But after that, the whole game is changed!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New Style Dartboard   New Style Dartboard EmptyFri Jan 04, 2013 5:24 am

To add to what John K said about flow. Every player is different and plays a bit different. If I'm playing a game of cricket and have to shoot 19's I will attempt to hit the treble of course. But after that I will have a go at the 17's and if I hit that target I will aim for treble 15's. Right across the bottom of the board. Although I do this mostly with soft tip because 9 marks are more common.

So for Americans, I don't think it would be much of a bother for cricket. Like John said, the targets are in the same spot, minus the 16.

01 would be a bit tougher now that the odd/even's are separated. No more "safety" shots.
Back to top Go down
Jimbo21

Jimbo21

PostSubject: Re: New Style Dartboard   New Style Dartboard EmptyFri Jan 04, 2013 9:29 am

I dont see the point of it to be honest. New players and old players still have a target to hit. Doesnt matter where it is on the board.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Style Dartboard   New Style Dartboard Empty

Back to top Go down

New Style Dartboard

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1