We have moved to www.dartsnutz.net
Darts Nutz forum has now moved to www.dartsnutz.net please register on that site instead.

Thanks!

Darts Nutz forum has now moved to www.dartsnutz.net please register on that site instead.

Thanks!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Re-register a new account there please

HomeLatest imagesShafts – Short Vs Long LPRegisterLog in

Photobucket

map1
Display Pagerank

Shafts – Short Vs Long

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
coolhandfluke

coolhandfluke

Shafts – Short Vs Long Empty
PostSubject: Shafts – Short Vs Long   Shafts – Short Vs Long EmptyFri Nov 16, 2012 10:30 am

FOUND THIS WORTH A READ.

Shafts – Short Vs Long

As stated there is no best shaft to use, if you are a watcher of darts and new to the game you will notice all darters will have their own preference in shaft length and type, plastic, metal & nylon.

When choosing a dart, it is best to try it first. As there are not many dedicated dart shops around it isn’t always possible to throw them in the store at a practise board. But if you know anyone that plays asked if they will allow you to have a throw of their darts, this way you are more likely to find a weight that suits you. Choosing a shaft and flight to go with the dart can be as equally as difficult as choosing a dart.

Short shafts tend to move the centre of gravity of the dart towards the front end of the barrel. For good throwing most dart throwers hold their darts at this point so if you hold your darts at the front end of the barrel the short shafts might be best suited to your throw. Long shaft will effectively move the centre of gravity of the dart towards the back, so if you throw your darts holding them at the back of the dart a long shaft my suit you better than short shafts.
Back to top Go down
Bigshow

Bigshow

PostSubject: Re: Shafts – Short Vs Long   Shafts – Short Vs Long EmptyFri Nov 16, 2012 12:18 pm

A good read indeed.
Back to top Go down
hamo

hamo

PostSubject: Re: Shafts – Short Vs Long   Shafts – Short Vs Long EmptyFri Nov 16, 2012 1:35 pm

I use medium stems and my mate uses short...we wer down playing at the n.I open last weekend and got talking to Stephen bunting after one of his games.the mate was winding him up and having a bit of banter when practicing on the board beside him so got talking proper after. He said to my mate that he would never improve when throwing short stems because he was in his comfort zone...my thinking was he was just pullin his leg but he has been throwing this week and done a few sessions with long stems and found they worked well.....as for me, I can't become friends with shorts......I think its in his head but who am I to argue with the bullet Laughing
Back to top Go down
Jimbo21

Jimbo21

PostSubject: Re: Shafts – Short Vs Long   Shafts – Short Vs Long EmptyFri Nov 16, 2012 2:48 pm

It may well be in his head, but you look at Taylor and he changes his set up every 12 months or so, just looking at getting that little more out of himself.

Once you stop improving, it may be time for a little tweak.
Back to top Go down
getagrip

getagrip

PostSubject: Re: Shafts – Short Vs Long   Shafts – Short Vs Long EmptyFri Nov 16, 2012 7:39 pm

I hold my darts at the front but tend to find medium shafts better.

Yesterday I got an old brass set that had long thin cane shafts and feather flights.

The darts themselves are centre loaded, they are filled in the middle with lead.

I hit lots of T20's with them and they fly beautifully straight, was really amazed at the way they fly, problem is I keep smacking myself in the face with the shafts being so long. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dazdart
Chalk Is Cheap

PostSubject: Re: Shafts – Short Vs Long   Shafts – Short Vs Long EmptySat Nov 17, 2012 3:37 am

getagrip wrote:
I hold my darts at the front but tend to find medium shafts better.

Yesterday I got an old brass set that had long thin cane shafts and feather flights.

The darts themselves are centre loaded, they are filled in the middle with lead.

I hit lots of T20's with them and they fly beautifully straight, was really amazed at the way they fly, problem is I keep smacking myself in the face with the shafts being so long. Smile

^^^this. Evil or Very Mad

Back to top Go down
Nucky

Nucky

PostSubject: Re: Shafts – Short Vs Long   Shafts – Short Vs Long EmptySat Nov 17, 2012 4:33 pm

I have mixed thoughts on the shaft length issue. I'll use Barney as an example. I'm not sure what the percentage was but I remember a while back where an announcer said that his finishing percentage improved after changing from a short shaft/stem to a longer one.

Being a pub player who switches darts and shaft/stem combinations more than I change my underwear, I wonder how much this has hurt my game rather than improve it. In Barney's case, we all know what he's done in the past few years. His consistency has been pretty inconsistent!

My point/question is - should you pick a length and stay with it, or can you actually improve by changing the length? Just my own thoughts, I realize that some barrels don't work well with a shorter length and vice/versa with longer ones.

In my case, I realize that I need to pick one shaft and dart setup and stay with it. Just wish I could though Smile

Has anyone out there moved from a short stem/shaft to a longer one and seen there game improve?
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/search/results.php?q=Robert+Drinovz&
zanellan

zanellan

PostSubject: Re: Shafts – Short Vs Long   Shafts – Short Vs Long EmptySat Jan 26, 2013 8:54 pm

I grip the dart right at the back of the dart where it mets the stem (like Beaton) but I can only throw with short stems so I'm an exception to this theory! I have heard from a professional that the general rule of thumb is that if you use a short dart then you should use a long stem, if using a long dart then use a short stem etc, this theory seems to work for me but of course there is going to be a exception to the rule! If there wasn't and every one had the same set ups it would be a whole less interesting!
Back to top Go down
Skyblueadam

Skyblueadam

PostSubject: Re: Shafts – Short Vs Long   Shafts – Short Vs Long EmptySat Jan 26, 2013 10:20 pm

I either have to have 48mm or 20mm. Can't do anything in between.
Might sound weird but they only seem to be the ones that land 'correctly' in the board for me
Back to top Go down
Donkey

Donkey

PostSubject: Re: Shafts – Short Vs Long   Shafts – Short Vs Long EmptySun Jan 27, 2013 12:34 am

Ive started to use medium stems and they work well for me.

Ive noticed that sometimes when I used short ones the dart could get a little off spin. I guess this is because more weight were put on the front end of the dart meaning it would tip down if I didn't balance it it with my other fingers.
Back to top Go down
getagrip

getagrip

PostSubject: Re: Shafts – Short Vs Long   Shafts – Short Vs Long EmptySun Jan 27, 2013 12:35 am

Its very curious that Bristow gripped the stems and just rested the barrels on his finger, I think he looks like he had medium stems but his barrels were quite long.
Back to top Go down
Saber

Saber

PostSubject: Re: Shafts – Short Vs Long   Shafts – Short Vs Long EmptySun Jan 27, 2013 12:44 am

inbetween for me (cosmo's)
Back to top Go down
Rebel

Rebel

PostSubject: Re: Shafts – Short Vs Long   Shafts – Short Vs Long EmptySun Jan 27, 2013 12:58 am

I agree, if I use long darts (50mm Lewis) I will use a short stem but if using shorter darts (35mm Klaasen) I will use a medium stem to make the darts fly/land in the board at the same angle.

I also agree, all about balancing the darts, however I also know guys that use long darts and long stems as well as one guy who uses 10g bullets with a tom thumb stem and slim flights that he has cut down to half the size, tiny things. Shocked
Back to top Go down
Eslotes

Eslotes

PostSubject: Re: Shafts – Short Vs Long   Shafts – Short Vs Long EmptySun Jan 27, 2013 1:02 am

Rebel wrote:
if I use long darts (50mm Lewis) I will use a short stem but if using shorter darts (35mm Klaasen) I will use a medium stem to make the darts fly/land in the board at the same angle.
true i would also say that short stem for 48-52mm barrel and for 40-45mm barrel i would use a medium stem...
Back to top Go down
spat66

spat66

PostSubject: Re: Shafts – Short Vs Long   Shafts – Short Vs Long EmptySun Jan 27, 2013 2:21 am

I use inbetween on everything, works for me
Back to top Go down
Franz

PostSubject: Re: Shafts – Short Vs Long   Shafts – Short Vs Long EmptyMon Jan 28, 2013 12:11 am

I use 48mm shaft cause i feel more confident, but I've noticed that there more deflection by the darts already on the board.
Back to top Go down
basketcasE

PostSubject: Re: Shafts – Short Vs Long   Shafts – Short Vs Long EmptyWed Feb 13, 2013 12:21 pm

distance between center of gravity and center of flight surface area (normally known as center of pressure) is the important distance to understand. u can assume the center of pressure is around the center of ur flight.

the greater this distance the smaller of a flight you can get away w/ because of leverage. you can imagine this w/ the CoG acting like the fulcrum. the downside is the longer this distance the slower it will straighten itself out. like anything it's a compromise.

and easy way to think of a dart's yaw (fishtailing) is like a weather vane. and dart's pitch (angle it enters the board) is much like a javelin
Back to top Go down
Jimbo21

Jimbo21

PostSubject: Re: Shafts – Short Vs Long   Shafts – Short Vs Long EmptyWed Feb 13, 2013 12:38 pm

I will use any length flight that will keep the dart approx the same length as the current set I am using.
Back to top Go down
loopdogg

loopdogg

PostSubject: Re: Shafts – Short Vs Long   Shafts – Short Vs Long EmptyWed Feb 13, 2013 11:01 pm

when I g o for league I will have med and long with me. About 1/4" or 1.25cm difference. Last night I did the same thing and even flighted both stems so I could change. I like both, I guess I am trying to fix or repair "fish tail", but i don't want to be thinking of that on the line. I figure this out during warm up, it could be weeks or more in between changes They won't let me use my extra long stems, though,
[img][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][/img]
Back to top Go down
basketcasE

PostSubject: Re: Shafts – Short Vs Long   Shafts – Short Vs Long EmptyWed Feb 13, 2013 11:13 pm

depends on how hard u throw. if u throw fast go w/ a shorter stem. slow-med i'd go longer.

i say this because it takes more force (drag) against your flight wings when they are closer to your center of gravity to straigthen it out while in flight. and the opposite is tru for the longer stems (less force)

so if you throw short stems slowly... you're not gonna have enough drag to rotate them about to fly straight (yaw)

it's easier to think about if you consider the dart at a complete standstill and the drag coming from wind like a wind tunnel. now your dart is essentially a weather vane. it takes stronger winds to rotate a dart w/ a shorter stem, than it does w/ a longer stem.

Back to top Go down
getagrip

getagrip

PostSubject: Re: Shafts – Short Vs Long   Shafts – Short Vs Long EmptyWed Apr 03, 2013 2:36 am

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Shafts – Short Vs Long   Shafts – Short Vs Long Empty

Back to top Go down

Shafts – Short Vs Long

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1