We have moved to www.dartsnutz.net
Darts Nutz forum has now moved to www.dartsnutz.net please register on that site instead.

Thanks!

Darts Nutz forum has now moved to www.dartsnutz.net please register on that site instead.

Thanks!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Re-register a new account there please

HomeLatest imagesDart Tournaments LPRegisterLog in

Photobucket

map1
Display Pagerank

Dart Tournaments

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage

Dart Tournaments Empty
PostSubject: Dart Tournaments   Dart Tournaments EmptyTue Sep 11, 2012 7:45 am

Talking with a former highly ranked USA pro today, Mr. Tom Carroll. He mentioned that once the tobacco companies gave up

sponsoring darts back in the late 80's is when darts took a nose dive. I never really thought of that. But looking at all the old pics

I posted on FB and seeing the prize money back then... well, it's way different now. Players would get 4 or $5000 for winning a big event

back then. Now for example, look at the White Mt. Shootout. A $20K+ event and the singles winner gets $500. Almost makes you

laugh. I was thinking of going to the USA classic last month until I saw the payouts. Winning the pro singles would get you $750.

That's so pathetic! Considering all the top players were there, the chances of winning for ANYONE is slim.

Today's tournaments are missing that one major sponsor. Until the day comes that a tourney director can land a major sponsor,

they will all be the same. Money spread out over 13 events with nobody really making any profit.

I really hope Dartslive or some other company can change things. Shame that darts in the USA has gone backwards in the last

30 years, while in the UK and Japan it's better then ever. I live in the wrong place
Sad
Back to top Go down
Saber

Saber

Dart Tournaments Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dart Tournaments   Dart Tournaments EmptyTue Sep 11, 2012 7:53 am

Sad indeed JD. I recently beat a guy outta $400.00 at a bar ( he picked the wrong fish). And a major tourney only paying out $750.00. With the gas, hotel, entry fees food its not worth it IMO. No wonder, as you say we going backwards. I venture to say I made more net than the White Mt winner!!!! and I'm just a decent pub player ! Sad indeed.
Back to top Go down
spat66

spat66

Dart Tournaments Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dart Tournaments   Dart Tournaments EmptyTue Sep 11, 2012 8:00 am

Yea the payouts are small - but I don't do it for the money just the love of the game. More money would be nice, but you can't do it for the money. Your right Larry - I've made more money in local pub tournaments. It's not the money that gets me to tournaments - pros make money to play games not amatuers.
Back to top Go down
mc1958

mc1958

Dart Tournaments Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dart Tournaments   Dart Tournaments EmptyTue Sep 11, 2012 8:05 am

It was the same over here when the fag sponsorship ended - it only really started to take off again when Uncle Barry took over the PDC. He knows all the right people in the media through his boxing and snooker stables - call in a few favours and darts goes bigtime to what it is now.

What you need in the US is someone like Don King or one of your other big promoters who knows the right people. It may increase anyway, but get someone like DK involved and it wouldn't surprise me if the sport skyrocketed over the pond.
Back to top Go down
getagrip

getagrip

Dart Tournaments Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dart Tournaments   Dart Tournaments EmptyTue Sep 11, 2012 8:08 am

I think thats a problem though, because to travel to more comps especially over there were the distances are so vast, and to pay all your other expenses such as boarding, food etc it is hardly worth the effort, so you will probably find most will just stay at local comps. It really needs a big push by sponsors though.
Back to top Go down
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dazdart

Dart Tournaments Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dart Tournaments   Dart Tournaments EmptyTue Sep 11, 2012 8:11 am

Take a look at some of the recent tournament flyers.

13 events!!! That's awful!!

Friday should be a luck of the draw.

Saturday should be doubles and singles.

Then a massive pro shoot Sunday.

Sort of exactly what the NAPT is doing.

I love, love what they are doing. I think it will grow in the future.

Best thing I've seen come to the USA imo.

NAPT and Dartslive. The future....
Back to top Go down
Saber

Saber

Dart Tournaments Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dart Tournaments   Dart Tournaments EmptyTue Sep 11, 2012 9:13 am

spat66 wrote:
Yea the payouts are small - but I don't do it for the money just the love of the game. More money would be nice, but you can't do it for the money. Your right Larry - I've made more money in local pub tournaments. It's not the money that gets me to tournaments - pros make money to play games not amatuers.
Not Pro's but I would say Semi-Pro's. I mean think about it. The average Joe wouldn't stand a chance against you ! So not pro's but better than Joe blow that makes a lot of us ???????? To me a Pro is one who makes a living at playing for money or attempts to anyway.
Back to top Go down
spat66

spat66

Dart Tournaments Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dart Tournaments   Dart Tournaments EmptyTue Sep 11, 2012 9:26 am

I agree with that Larry, a pro to me is one who makes his living doing it. Guys like us can't expect to make much money playing darts. Really only the top 30 maybe 40 in the world make a good living at it. I suppose that's an opinion too on what a good living is. I think pretty much all U.S. pros have a regular job, if they don't their wife has a good one!
Back to top Go down

Dart Tournaments Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dart Tournaments   Dart Tournaments EmptyTue Sep 11, 2012 10:23 am

In the USA I think we are all regular Joe's with the exception of Mr. Larry Butler and maybe Darin Young. There are a few who make some money playing darts here in the USA but only as a supplemental income to a regular job.
Look at what happens wen our best shooters go over to England to play. They get pounded in the 1st round. Darin hasn't has any sort of luck at Ladbrokes. Just straight poundings.

Another example is the upcoming WCO in New Hampshire. I was trying to figure expense the other night. Hotels are $85 a night X2 nights. Entry fees for 2 singles and 2 doubles $80. Gas back and forth $60. As you can see, that adds up quick. Would have to place really high just to break even.

Sad that years ago (25+ years) you could win $4000 for 1st at just about any Lucky Lights tournament. That's a lot of money back then!!! Pay for an entire years worth of travel to every event.
Back to top Go down
Jimbo21

Jimbo21

Dart Tournaments Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dart Tournaments   Dart Tournaments EmptyTue Sep 11, 2012 11:21 am

We are in a similar situation here in Australia. I live in South Australia and the majority of the tournaments here are held in the eastern states, like NSW and Qld.

For me to get to them, it could be an 8 hr drive if its to Victoria, or up to 2 days on the road to get to NSW or QLD.

Air fares aren't too expensive, but sometimes the cab ride from the airport to near the venue can cost more than the airfare.
Back to top Go down
McInnis180

McInnis180

Dart Tournaments Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dart Tournaments   Dart Tournaments EmptyTue Sep 11, 2012 11:28 am

The case around here is the same...travel,Hotel,food etc. and the pots are peanuts.....5 of us are going to Prince Edward Island next weekend for a ranked event in the same car to try and save some money....lol...should be a good laugh!!! Would love to win!!! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
spat66

spat66

Dart Tournaments Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dart Tournaments   Dart Tournaments EmptyTue Sep 11, 2012 10:42 pm

Ususally when I go to tournaments, 4 0r 5 of us ride together and pile up in one room to save money. Theres always good stories after those weekends, especially from the savannah trips! It's expensive but you can't expect to make money. How many things do you do for entertainment that you make your money back? Pretty much nothing! I think if you want to get better you have to go to tournaments and play stiffer competition, playing in local blind draws really doesn't raise your level, at least that's my case. It's worth the money spent to me, just to play some of the best players and be in the atmosphere of a dart tournament. I will never make money doing what I love to do but I will keep spending it! I've accepted it
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Dart Tournaments Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dart Tournaments   Dart Tournaments Empty

Back to top Go down

Dart Tournaments

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1