We have moved to www.dartsnutz.net
Darts Nutz forum has now moved to www.dartsnutz.net please register on that site instead.

Thanks!

Darts Nutz forum has now moved to www.dartsnutz.net please register on that site instead.

Thanks!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Re-register a new account there please

HomeLatest imagesSlydart precision sharpener LPRegisterLog in

Photobucket

map1
Display Pagerank

Slydart precision sharpener

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
TheFox180

Slydart precision sharpener Empty
PostSubject: Slydart precision sharpener   Slydart precision sharpener EmptySat Aug 18, 2012 8:38 pm

Just seen this on Red dragon, an interesting idea but im not sure if it's worth a tenner.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
Rebel

Rebel

PostSubject: Re: Slydart precision sharpener   Slydart precision sharpener EmptySat Aug 18, 2012 8:55 pm

Hmmmm, a gimmick IMO - plus that thing puts a sharp point on the end, I have always (well since I first picked a dart up 1982) been told time and time again, not to sharpen to a sharp point but a rounded point.

Sharp points damage wires and when they burr they pluck fibers from your board on retrieval, each to their own but I will continue to have rounded points (like a ball point pen) as it has done me no harm so far.

Plus like you say Fox, a tenners a bit steep for a dart sharpener.
Back to top Go down
mc1958

mc1958

PostSubject: Re: Slydart precision sharpener   Slydart precision sharpener EmptySat Aug 18, 2012 9:00 pm

Good idea but I'm with you fox - not sure about the price. Make it a fiver and I may consider it. Another thing to consider with this is the little button batteries you have to buy - how long will one set last before you have to get another couple.

I just use the flat stones to do my arrows - RD sell them 4 for £1.75, or if you spend over £15 at DC then you can get one free if you want (I've got several lol). Yes it's a manual process, but it's good enough for me.
Back to top Go down
mc1958

mc1958

PostSubject: Re: Slydart precision sharpener   Slydart precision sharpener EmptySat Aug 18, 2012 9:01 pm

And Rebel, I always thought they shouldn't be a sharp point either.
Back to top Go down
getagrip

getagrip

PostSubject: Re: Slydart precision sharpener   Slydart precision sharpener EmptySat Aug 18, 2012 9:24 pm

Yeah I seen this in the RD newsletter and that exactly what I thought that the points should not be that sharp, I wonder if ideas are changing on that though because some of the boards are denser so work better with sharper points?
Back to top Go down
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dazdart
Jimbo21

Jimbo21

PostSubject: Re: Slydart precision sharpener   Slydart precision sharpener EmptySat Aug 18, 2012 9:30 pm

I use a diamond fish hook hone to do my points. Like all of you guys, I to have rounded points.

My sharpener.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Bigshow

Bigshow

PostSubject: Re: Slydart precision sharpener   Slydart precision sharpener EmptySat Aug 18, 2012 10:15 pm

Rebel wrote:
Hmmmm, a gimmick IMO - plus that thing puts a sharp point on the end, I have always (well since I first picked a dart up 1982) been told time and time again, not to sharpen to a sharp point but a rounded point.

Sharp points damage wires and when they burr they pluck fibers from your board on retrieval, each to their own but I will continue to have rounded points (like a ball point pen) as it has done me no harm so far.

Plus like you say Fox, a tenners a bit steep for a dart sharpener.

That`s what I was always told to Rebel.

I don`t think I`ll be investing in it.
Back to top Go down
getagrip

getagrip

PostSubject: Re: Slydart precision sharpener   Slydart precision sharpener EmptySat Aug 18, 2012 10:38 pm

Jimbo21 wrote:
I use a diamond fish hook hone to do my points. Like all of you guys, I to have rounded points.

My sharpener.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I use something similar to that, but I have some normal sharpeners too, usually I only use it to scuff the points or take burrs off.
Back to top Go down
Saber

Saber

PostSubject: Re: Slydart precision sharpener   Slydart precision sharpener EmptySat Aug 18, 2012 11:34 pm

I use an emory cloth. But bought one to review. So will let u guys know. Probably a gimmick but gonna give it a try. I however sharpen my darts. Must be a reason that when you buy points they are sharp right. Went through a whole session without one bounce out !!! I always sharpen and scuff my points before each match!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Slydart precision sharpener   Slydart precision sharpener EmptySun Aug 19, 2012 12:21 am

Sharp darts=bad.

Been playing on my new Blade 4 for over a month now. Not 1 bounce out.

Got new darts yesterday and the Hankey's have really sharp points.

2 bounce outs!!!!

I have to say, other then taking some fine sandpaper to some really smooth points

a couple times, I have NEVER sharpened a set of darts in my life.

Not saying it's right or wrong. Just never done it. No need imo.
Back to top Go down
TheFox180

PostSubject: Re: Slydart precision sharpener   Slydart precision sharpener EmptySun Aug 19, 2012 12:49 am

A good point on the sharpening, i scuff my points but never sharpen them. No need imo, aslong as the surface area is mall enough, at the force we throw our darts with that points going to penetrate regardless of how sharp it is, just needs to stay there
Back to top Go down
Saber

Saber

PostSubject: Re: Slydart precision sharpener   Slydart precision sharpener EmptySun Aug 19, 2012 12:50 am

to each his own -dull points = bad btw
Back to top Go down
samana

PostSubject: Re: Slydart precision sharpener   Slydart precision sharpener EmptySun Aug 19, 2012 9:07 am

my brother bought one of these sharpeners he's in the military he's going to send me one to try says it works great saw it on you tube some australian dart company does a video on it
Back to top Go down
TheFox180

PostSubject: Re: Slydart precision sharpener   Slydart precision sharpener EmptySun Aug 19, 2012 9:09 am

Ahh awesome, look forward to hearing how well it works.
Back to top Go down
samana

PostSubject: Re: Slydart precision sharpener   Slydart precision sharpener EmptySun Aug 19, 2012 9:13 am

yea me too my brother has played a lot longer than me so we will see
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Slydart precision sharpener   Slydart precision sharpener EmptySun Aug 19, 2012 9:59 am

SilverSaber wrote:
to each his own -dull points = bad btw

Sharp point WILL give you more bounce outs.

less darts= bad

a regular point won't chew up wires as bad.

***Edit*** I say that because for the last month I've played with regular points. Not sharp anyway.

In 5 weeks I have had ZERO bounce outs.

New steel tip darts yesterday. Very sharp points. 2 bounce outs.

No good.
Back to top Go down
Saber

Saber

PostSubject: Re: Slydart precision sharpener   Slydart precision sharpener EmptySun Aug 19, 2012 2:51 pm

come from factory sharp- blunt = grass = bad . ya scuff burrs off thus sharpening ya darts
Don't listen to JD cuz secretly he sharpens his darts lol on floor
Back to top Go down
The Coach

The Coach

PostSubject: Re: Slydart precision sharpener   Slydart precision sharpener EmptySun Aug 19, 2012 2:57 pm

See if it works on Titanium toothpicks too, then it would be worth the 10 bucks.
Back to top Go down
samana

PostSubject: Re: Slydart precision sharpener   Slydart precision sharpener EmptyMon Aug 20, 2012 12:51 am

I'll give it a try and let you know......by the way where do you buy YOUR overpriced toothpicks ?
Back to top Go down
getagrip

getagrip

PostSubject: Re: Slydart precision sharpener   Slydart precision sharpener EmptyMon Aug 20, 2012 1:10 am

Ti Toothpicks!!!!
Back to top Go down
dannyd180

dannyd180

PostSubject: Re: Slydart precision sharpener   Slydart precision sharpener EmptyMon Aug 20, 2012 4:52 am

I've always thought that points shouldnt be too sharp. However, the points that came in my O'Sheas are needle sharp!
Back to top Go down
The Coach

The Coach

PostSubject: Re: Slydart precision sharpener   Slydart precision sharpener EmptyMon Aug 20, 2012 6:06 am

samana wrote:
I'll give it a try and let you know......by the way where do you buy YOUR overpriced toothpicks ?

getagrip wrote:
Ti Toothpicks!!!!

I don't remember, it's been a while. I think it was a place called Unique Titanium. I dunno
Back to top Go down
mc1958

mc1958

PostSubject: Re: Slydart precision sharpener   Slydart precision sharpener EmptyMon Aug 20, 2012 6:24 am

I thought you was joking about the toothpicks lol - wow they are expensive

Back to top Go down
samana

PostSubject: Re: Slydart precision sharpener   Slydart precision sharpener EmptyMon Aug 20, 2012 6:54 am

ok i found that video on you tube with the demo from Australia....hmmm tell me what you think....I should have mine this week sometime....
Back to top Go down
samana

PostSubject: Re: Slydart precision sharpener   Slydart precision sharpener EmptyMon Aug 20, 2012 6:54 am

here's the link
Back to top Go down
Goofy

Goofy

PostSubject: Re: Slydart precision sharpener   Slydart precision sharpener EmptyMon Aug 20, 2012 7:00 am

Never sharpened dart points, sharp points are far more likely to produce bounce outs off the wires, a more rounded point tends to slide off the wire and into the board. I use storm points on my darts and cant remember my last bounce out on a blade board - the points on them are not very sharp at all as new Smile On older round wire boards a sharp point may be better but not on blade wired boards!
Back to top Go down
http://tehbasement.com/forum.php
samana

PostSubject: Re: Slydart precision sharpener   Slydart precision sharpener EmptyMon Aug 20, 2012 7:31 am

thats funny this video says the opposite..and quite frankly it makes more sense that a sharp point would slide off the wire and into the board...
Back to top Go down
TheFox180

PostSubject: Re: Slydart precision sharpener   Slydart precision sharpener EmptyMon Aug 20, 2012 7:47 am

Hmm Im undecided on the matter, I've read in a few pro's auto biography's that alot of them dont sharpen there points. Must be a reason for it
Back to top Go down
getagrip

getagrip

PostSubject: Re: Slydart precision sharpener   Slydart precision sharpener EmptyMon Aug 20, 2012 8:08 am

A good demo on that video though.

The old idea was that the points should be rounded not what you would call blunt but rounded so that they would slide off the wire instead of sticking into as it is likely to do if it is very sharp.

But that was mostly for the days when the dartboard wire was the old thick round wire, I dont know if it still applies these days with the denser boards and thinner wires.

Last edited by getagrip on Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Saber

Saber

PostSubject: Re: Slydart precision sharpener   Slydart precision sharpener EmptyMon Aug 20, 2012 2:49 pm

Sharpen or not to sharpen hmmm that is the great debate. What ever works for you is well , what you should do. I think we all agree though that scuffing ya points here and there is a good thing.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Slydart precision sharpener   Slydart precision sharpener Empty

Back to top Go down

Slydart precision sharpener

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next