We have moved to www.dartsnutz.net
Darts Nutz forum has now moved to www.dartsnutz.net please register on that site instead.

Thanks!

Darts Nutz forum has now moved to www.dartsnutz.net please register on that site instead.

Thanks!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Re-register a new account there please

HomeLatest imagesUnicorn - Have they lost touch !! Is Target and others gaining or passing them!! LPRegisterLog in

Photobucket

map1
Display Pagerank

Unicorn - Have they lost touch !! Is Target and others gaining or passing them!!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Saber

Saber

Unicorn - Have they lost touch !! Is Target and others gaining or passing them!! Empty
PostSubject: Unicorn - Have they lost touch !! Is Target and others gaining or passing them!!   Unicorn - Have they lost touch !! Is Target and others gaining or passing them!! EmptySat Aug 18, 2012 2:46 am

The Dart making Giant have they lost touch with the average pub player? Your views?

I now feel that Target is the best made dart on the market , just my opinion.

Last edited by SilverSaber on Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
USMC80

USMC80

Unicorn - Have they lost touch !! Is Target and others gaining or passing them!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unicorn - Have they lost touch !! Is Target and others gaining or passing them!!   Unicorn - Have they lost touch !! Is Target and others gaining or passing them!! EmptySat Aug 18, 2012 2:47 am

Don't care, do not like any of their products really
Back to top Go down
TheFox180

PostSubject: Re: Unicorn - Have they lost touch !! Is Target and others gaining or passing them!!   Unicorn - Have they lost touch !! Is Target and others gaining or passing them!! EmptySat Aug 18, 2012 2:50 am

Dont really use unicorn products....stems are next to useless, flights are too small. Darts all seem to be the same grip aswell
Back to top Go down
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
Saber

Saber

PostSubject: Re: Unicorn - Have they lost touch !! Is Target and others gaining or passing them!!   Unicorn - Have they lost touch !! Is Target and others gaining or passing them!! EmptySat Aug 18, 2012 2:50 am

USMC80 wrote:

Don't hold back, why don't you care for their products.
Back to top Go down
mc1958

mc1958

PostSubject: Re: Unicorn - Have they lost touch !! Is Target and others gaining or passing them!!   Unicorn - Have they lost touch !! Is Target and others gaining or passing them!! EmptySat Aug 18, 2012 2:54 am

Unicorn darts don't have the same warm feel that Target darts have - and as said above their flights and stems are pretty much garbage lol.

Out of interest why is this thread in the shop reviews section?
Back to top Go down
USMC80

USMC80

PostSubject: Re: Unicorn - Have they lost touch !! Is Target and others gaining or passing them!!   Unicorn - Have they lost touch !! Is Target and others gaining or passing them!! EmptySat Aug 18, 2012 3:15 am

SilverSaber wrote:
USMC80 wrote:

Like Mike said their darts just have a strange feeling to them. Like they are toys or something.

mc1958 wrote:
Unicorn darts don't have the same warm feel that Target darts have - and as said above their flights and stems are pretty much garbage lol.

Because larry is old lol...moved thread
Back to top Go down
benfitz

benfitz

PostSubject: Re: Unicorn - Have they lost touch !! Is Target and others gaining or passing them!!   Unicorn - Have they lost touch !! Is Target and others gaining or passing them!! EmptySat Aug 18, 2012 3:17 am

Target darts are better even though I like the gripper GT stems
Back to top Go down
Saber

Saber

PostSubject: Re: Unicorn - Have they lost touch !! Is Target and others gaining or passing them!!   Unicorn - Have they lost touch !! Is Target and others gaining or passing them!! EmptySat Aug 18, 2012 3:30 am

USMC80 wrote:
SilverSaber wrote:
USMC80 wrote:

Like Mike said their darts just have a strange feeling to them. Like they are toys or something.

mc1958 wrote:

Because larry is old lol...moved thread
Yeah me old shh can use that as an excuse for anything lol.
Back to top Go down
Saber

Saber

PostSubject: Re: Unicorn - Have they lost touch !! Is Target and others gaining or passing them!!   Unicorn - Have they lost touch !! Is Target and others gaining or passing them!! EmptySat Aug 18, 2012 3:32 am

Well what about price comparisons? Targets aren't necessarily cheap. Maybe someone can compare a similar dart?
Back to top Go down
getagrip

getagrip

PostSubject: Re: Unicorn - Have they lost touch !! Is Target and others gaining or passing them!!   Unicorn - Have they lost touch !! Is Target and others gaining or passing them!! EmptySat Aug 18, 2012 3:37 am

I dont feel the quality of Unicorn products is as good as it once was, I have darts from years past as early as the 1930's with the Silver Comets, but I guess were talking specifically Tungsten and I think the darts in the 80's and early 90's seem to be better made, I cant put my finger on why but they just do.

The innovation in barrel design seemed more adventurous then than it is now, I have some great Unicorn darts from that time, but now to get the best quality and best design such as the Sigmas and Phase 5's you have to pay a premium price!

Too many of their models are similar and when I look at the likes of Shot! and One80 darts and obviously Target the range for them is great! Just click on the Dartswarehouse link on the left and check out the variety of barrel designs they have and you will see what I mean.

They are better made too. The One80 darts are really great quality but not so cheap and are handmade, they are an emerging brand, they Shot!/Puma/Bulls deserve more recognition.

Target have been very innovative with their designs and the quality always seems so high.

Another brand that has many great ideas and makes very good quality darts are Red Dragon/Winmau, they have pioneered a lot of the recent ideas for coatings such as the PVD with the coloured barrels and I have never had one problem with any of the darts under both of those brand names the quality again is very high and I believe its because they make their own tungsten billets.

I think Unicorn have just got so big that the production rate has increased to an extent where the quality control is not what it should be, its not that their darts are particularly bad as such but I have had some where the threads have not been right and I could not get my stems in properly, or the points have not been inserted fully or bent at the very tip after the first contact with a wire, little things like that are what gets me, that and the lack of imagination in the design. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dazdart

PostSubject: Re: Unicorn - Have they lost touch !! Is Target and others gaining or passing them!!   Unicorn - Have they lost touch !! Is Target and others gaining or passing them!! EmptySat Aug 18, 2012 3:40 am

But they do well out in the real world. look at their long list of sponsored players. I'm sure Unicorn gets something out of sponsoring the players they do. Target did well to get Adrian, but let's admit it, he's no Phil Taylor.
I believe Unicorn is doing far better business then Target. But that's just a guess. I'd bet heavily that I'm right though.
Back to top Go down
Saber

Saber

PostSubject: Re: Unicorn - Have they lost touch !! Is Target and others gaining or passing them!!   Unicorn - Have they lost touch !! Is Target and others gaining or passing them!! EmptySat Aug 18, 2012 3:41 am

Great post Darren and a good point about Shot and Red Dragon. RD has darts that are verry similiar to Unicorns and sometimes half the price. Is it a case of Unicorn developing darts and others doing similar dart but like I said sometimes half the price!!!!
Back to top Go down
getagrip

getagrip

PostSubject: Re: Unicorn - Have they lost touch !! Is Target and others gaining or passing them!!   Unicorn - Have they lost touch !! Is Target and others gaining or passing them!! EmptySat Aug 18, 2012 3:49 am

In the 70's and 80's there was a lot of darts brands as obviously they all seen a business opportunity, I think Kwiz for a number of years was the biggest brand ahead of Unicorn, but I dont know what happened to them. There was also Paxman who had a lot of great darts and Durro, Red Dragon I think have been on the go since the late 70's so have a lot of experience too and must have done something right as they took over Nodor and Winmau. I think these days it seems to be as much about who plays with your darts than it is the darts themselves, just look at how Unicorn have milked the Taylor contract by bringing darts out such as the Phase 6 and 7 that he hardly used.
Back to top Go down
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dazdart
Rebel

Rebel

PostSubject: Re: Unicorn - Have they lost touch !! Is Target and others gaining or passing them!!   Unicorn - Have they lost touch !! Is Target and others gaining or passing them!! EmptySat Aug 18, 2012 3:58 am

Target all the way for me.

Love the feel of them and the quality is great too, oh and the coatings, just my opinion mind, but that black coating Unicorn uses is pathetic, the Machina made the darts look like they had just been dug up out of the ground and the gold wasn't much better.

IMO the Target coatings I have had so far have been far superior but I would still say in the bigger picture, Unicorn is still the top dog, for now anyway......
Back to top Go down
Saber

Saber

PostSubject: Re: Unicorn - Have they lost touch !! Is Target and others gaining or passing them!!   Unicorn - Have they lost touch !! Is Target and others gaining or passing them!! EmptySat Aug 18, 2012 4:01 am

Top dog that may have a few fleas it seems.
Back to top Go down
mc1958

mc1958

PostSubject: Re: Unicorn - Have they lost touch !! Is Target and others gaining or passing them!!   Unicorn - Have they lost touch !! Is Target and others gaining or passing them!! EmptySat Aug 18, 2012 6:31 am

getagrip wrote:
The One80 darts are really great quality but not so cheap and are handmade, they are an emerging brand, they Shot!/Puma/Bulls deserve more recognition.

I've not copied the whole quote, but I would agree with One80 deserving more recognition - and that is based purely on the Huybrechts darts I have - they are great. I've not tried Shot/Puma/Bulls but from what I've heard they are better than Unicorn as well.

Another company I'd thrown in the mix - Monster Darts. Yes they are expensive as they are Japanese, but the two sets I have are awesome - for me they are on a par with Target based on the Target darts I have in my collection. I'd love to try some Cosmo steel tip darts as I reckon they would be similar to Monster.

And I agree on Red Dragon/Winmau - another manufacturer way better than Unicorn

Last edited by mc1958 on Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Saber

Saber

PostSubject: Re: Unicorn - Have they lost touch !! Is Target and others gaining or passing them!!   Unicorn - Have they lost touch !! Is Target and others gaining or passing them!! EmptySun Aug 19, 2012 1:08 am

Well gotta say I don't like USA made darts for the most part. Laser darts pretty good but the prices are affraid
Back to top Go down
ochejockey

PostSubject: Re: Unicorn - Have they lost touch !! Is Target and others gaining or passing them!!   Unicorn - Have they lost touch !! Is Target and others gaining or passing them!! EmptyTue Aug 21, 2012 6:56 am

I don't have the hands-on experience with many different manufacturers like most of you. I'll just make a couple comments that I think apply to most leaders of any industry. The biggest enemy of success is complacency. When you're the best for a long time, you tend to stop improving and become resistant to changing a successful model. The increased demand makes you cut corners on materials and technique to keep up. You take your competitors for granted and don't recognize that they're doing it better for less with an eye on bringing you down. I lament about this sometimes with restaurants. A successful restaurant begins to sell more and more franchises, then quality goes down, then people don't like eating there anymore, then they go out of business. They get too big for there own good. If a huge restaurant chain stays successful for really long time, it's because nobody expects it to be good. McDonald's is the world leader, but nobody goes there for fine cuisine.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Unicorn - Have they lost touch !! Is Target and others gaining or passing them!!   Unicorn - Have they lost touch !! Is Target and others gaining or passing them!! Empty

Back to top Go down

Unicorn - Have they lost touch !! Is Target and others gaining or passing them!!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1