We have moved to www.dartsnutz.net
Darts Nutz forum has now moved to www.dartsnutz.net please register on that site instead.

Thanks!

Darts Nutz forum has now moved to www.dartsnutz.net please register on that site instead.

Thanks!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Re-register a new account there please

HomeLatest imagesnew points LPRegisterLog in

Photobucket

map1
Display Pagerank

new points

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
hamo

hamo

new points Empty
PostSubject: new points   new points EmptyFri Jun 22, 2012 11:00 am

I have recently noticed more and more of my darts not sticking and falling/bouncing out. Up until now I have never concidered changing points but now I'm thinking it might make a difference. I throw on a eclipse pro or blade 4 so I don't blame the boards and I tried sharpening the standard points without much luck. I have came to the conclusion that my improved grouping could be reason why I never had the problem in the past (thankyou flight school). happy dude

I have never changed points in the past as I have never really felt the need but now I'm really considering it.I'm really looking to know if there is much of a difference or what ones to go for? I have also heard about people "scuffing" their points.....what or how is this done? Also is it a big job to re-point a set of darts.....any opinions on what would suit me best would be well appreciated. Hamo
Back to top Go down
The Rage

The Rage

new points Empty
PostSubject: Re: new points   new points EmptyFri Jun 22, 2012 12:11 pm

Hi mate, if you have silver points i'd recommend sharpening up your points with a proper darts sharpener or even any old bit of stone. Even time on each bit of the points you know rotate them as you do it. Or get some sand paper which is even easier, just twisle the points in it. Hope this helps fella, reason i talk of plain points is cos if you got black ones the scuffs are more pronounced mate Smile
Back to top Go down
CanadianBacon

CanadianBacon

new points Empty
PostSubject: Re: new points   new points EmptyFri Jun 22, 2012 2:27 pm

you can also use some sand paper to scrub up your points. my buddy does it with his regular points on just some basic sand paper and they stick in the board like mad. put some sand paper flat on a table and rub your points horizontally while slowly rotating the dart. then you're good to go. you may need to do it about once or twice an hour, but might be something worth giving a go. make sure ya don't clean em off after ya sand em, just sand em and throw. you'll be amazed at how much more they grip into the board.

be careful with some gripper points, they can take some of the board with em when ya pull em out. theres tons of different points to choose from so the skys the limit. storm points, grippers, harpoons, laser etched, etc...
Back to top Go down
getagrip

getagrip

new points Empty
PostSubject: Re: new points   new points EmptyFri Jun 22, 2012 7:33 pm

I find that standard black points grip very well, but lose the grip when the black coating wears off.

New silver shiny points always fall out for me, so I scuff them up and the problem is solved.

Target diamond points are very grippy and a good alternative.
Back to top Go down
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dazdart
hamo

hamo

new points Empty
PostSubject: Re: new points   new points EmptyFri Jun 22, 2012 7:38 pm

Thats the exact stage these points are at Grip. They were black but I noticed the black has wore off the tips. Is it hard to fit new points?
Back to top Go down
getagrip

getagrip

new points Empty
PostSubject: Re: new points   new points EmptyFri Jun 22, 2012 7:46 pm

Its not hard to fit them if you have a re-pointer, there is other methods that people use with a riveter gun and hammer and block of wood, but using the right tool is best.
Back to top Go down
hamo

hamo

new points Empty
PostSubject: Re: new points   new points EmptyFri Jun 22, 2012 7:55 pm

I'll have to look into getting a repointer then....... I'll try scuffing them up for the time being. Cheers lads Smile
Back to top Go down
hamo

hamo

new points Empty
PostSubject: Re: new points   new points EmptySat Jun 30, 2012 5:54 am

just a quick thanks for the advice...i just "scuffed" the points and it has made a huge difference.......once again, the nutz to the rescue [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Lefty544

Lefty544

new points Empty
PostSubject: Re: new points   new points EmptySat Jun 30, 2012 6:11 am

Glad to hear you had success scuffing the points. Definitely invest in a repointer if you do finally decide to change the points out. There are alternate methods but like grip said having the right tool is really the way to go with this one.

You could also buy a sharpening stone like this one
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I have one in the shape of a mug that hangs from my key chain courtesy of USMC80.

Harrows has a pretty nice looking one too
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

just keep in mind the idea is not to sharpen the point but burr the point to help it grab on.

If you do go and change points the diamond points are a personal favorite.
Back to top Go down
rumandcork

rumandcork

new points Empty
PostSubject: Re: new points   new points EmptySat Jun 30, 2012 8:55 am

hamo wrote:
just a quick thanks for the advice...i just "scuffed" the points and it has made a huge difference.......once again, the nutz to the rescue [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

haha---rescue nut!
Back to top Go down
getagrip

getagrip

new points Empty
PostSubject: Re: new points   new points EmptySat Jun 30, 2012 7:23 pm

Nice one Hamo! Very Happy

Darts Nutz Emergency Service Number: 999-NUTZ-911
Back to top Go down
hamo

hamo

new points Empty
PostSubject: Re: new points   new points EmptySun Jul 01, 2012 6:35 am

I have the one in the second pic lefty but didn't get the same benifits from it as I did with scuffing them.thanks again lads
Back to top Go down
x2v

x2v

new points Empty
PostSubject: Re: new points   new points EmptySun Jul 01, 2012 9:31 am

I got a huge roll of Emery cloth from a former African Open champ a couple of years back.
It's better then sandpaper and really makes them stick.
Without it, my darts would fall out 1 in 3 times, especially with my decimated board.

I'm actually thinking of repointing them too, but with diamond edges, like the ones getagrip suggested.
I might wait until I decide whether to get a set of new Klaasens first.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

new points Empty
PostSubject: Re: new points   new points Empty

Back to top Go down

new points

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1