We have moved to www.dartsnutz.net
Darts Nutz forum has now moved to www.dartsnutz.net please register on that site instead.

Thanks!

Darts Nutz forum has now moved to www.dartsnutz.net please register on that site instead.

Thanks!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Re-register a new account there please

HomeLatest imagesEarly stages of Dartitis? LPRegisterLog in

Photobucket

map1
Display Pagerank

Early stages of Dartitis?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Rebel

Rebel

Early stages of Dartitis? Empty
PostSubject: Early stages of Dartitis?   Early stages of Dartitis? EmptyFri Apr 06, 2012 2:48 am

I have been doing alot of driving these last few weeks at work, doing delivery's in the wagon and clocking up 300+ miles a day.

Since doing this I have gradually noticed a tightening in my hands whereby I am struggling to stretch them out fully and when I try and throw a dart I am really struggling at times to let it go.
I would say for at least a couple of hours after getting home from work it is pointless for me to even attempt to throw but later on I have managed to hit some nice darts, however my hand feels (and I guess looks) all deformed and claw like (kind of like Barry Bates at the end of last year).

Even typing this as I have just got in from work and I can feel tightness in my hands, would love a bit of practice but have had 3 darts, 2 of which I couldn't let go, the other dropping ot of my hand, spinning and sticking in the big 7 segment (aiming at T20).

Obviously nothing I can do about work except ask for a break from the driving but I am just keeping my fingers crossed that it could develop into something that will stop me playing decent darts.

smoke
Back to top Go down
USMC80

USMC80

PostSubject: Re: Early stages of Dartitis?   Early stages of Dartitis? EmptyFri Apr 06, 2012 2:52 am

I know the exact feeling your getting in your hands. I would get it when driving 800+ miles every weekend. My hands actually kind of got used to it after a while but then again I wasn't attempting to throw darts at the time. My advice would be to stay hydrated and work on some kind of stretching exercise for your fingers.
Back to top Go down
Lefty544

Lefty544

PostSubject: Re: Early stages of Dartitis?   Early stages of Dartitis? EmptyFri Apr 06, 2012 3:28 am

That sounds more like hand cramps and potentially arthritis. The best way to counter that is to do stretching exercises of your hands so that they are not formed into a "claw" like they are when you are gripping a steering wheel for extended periods of time. Darts aside you should try to do that regularly to prevent your muscles from "locking up"
Back to top Go down
USMC80

USMC80

PostSubject: Re: Early stages of Dartitis?   Early stages of Dartitis? EmptyFri Apr 06, 2012 3:29 am

Also helps to loosen your grip on the wheel a little
Back to top Go down
x2v

x2v

PostSubject: Re: Early stages of Dartitis?   Early stages of Dartitis? EmptyFri Apr 06, 2012 3:39 am

I doubt its dartitis. It sounds more like a physical thing rather then a mental block.
So no chance of it developing into anything unless you actually injure your hand.
Sounds like its just been strained and needs some rest.
I had the same problems when I rode my bike allot, especially after a big voyage when my arms used to get all stiff and it was difficult to throw normally at times.
I would suggest to try and lessen the strain on your arms while driving somehow.
And once rested, continue to practice normally and your smooth action will return in no time.
Back to top Go down
getagrip

getagrip

PostSubject: Re: Early stages of Dartitis?   Early stages of Dartitis? EmptyFri Apr 06, 2012 3:44 am

Yep I think its just the physical effort of gripping the wheel and your tendons and muscles etc have just got tightened in that same position all the time.

Back to top Go down
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dazdart
Rebel

Rebel

PostSubject: Re: Early stages of Dartitis?   Early stages of Dartitis? EmptyFri Apr 06, 2012 3:50 am

Brilliant advice and a big relief, thanks for the replies, appreciate your time,

Cheers,
Greg
Back to top Go down
getagrip

getagrip

PostSubject: Re: Early stages of Dartitis?   Early stages of Dartitis? EmptyFri Apr 06, 2012 3:57 am

Get yourself one of these, but just do it for therapy not as an exercise to build your arms, although over time that wont hurt too much:

they called Powerballs over here, I think Argos sell em.
Back to top Go down
USMC80

USMC80

PostSubject: Re: Early stages of Dartitis?   Early stages of Dartitis? EmptyFri Apr 06, 2012 4:03 am

Don't listen to Grip, He just likes the feel of balls in his hand. lol on floor
Back to top Go down
getagrip

getagrip

PostSubject: Re: Early stages of Dartitis?   Early stages of Dartitis? EmptyFri Apr 06, 2012 4:05 am

USMC80 wrote:

First Warning!!! Grips smile
Back to top Go down
Rebel

Rebel

PostSubject: Re: Early stages of Dartitis?   Early stages of Dartitis? EmptyFri Apr 06, 2012 4:05 am

lol on floor

On a serious note, that thing could just do the trick, cheers darren
Back to top Go down
USMC80

USMC80

PostSubject: Re: Early stages of Dartitis?   Early stages of Dartitis? EmptyFri Apr 06, 2012 4:08 am

getagrip wrote:
USMC80 wrote:

First Warning!!! Grips smile

spam
Back to top Go down
getagrip

getagrip

PostSubject: Re: Early stages of Dartitis?   Early stages of Dartitis? EmptyFri Apr 06, 2012 4:08 am

Rebel wrote:
lol on floor

On a serious note, that thing could just do the trick, cheers darren

Well since I have been using mine, my wrist pain has been more bearable and I think its actually helped it.

The only problem is the tendancy to try and beat records like this:

As long as your using as a rehabilitating aid its great!
Back to top Go down
Saber

Saber

PostSubject: Re: Early stages of Dartitis?   Early stages of Dartitis? EmptyMon Apr 09, 2012 3:21 am

too much thinking at the oche is real bad stuff.
Back to top Go down
Bo-Jangles

PostSubject: Re: Early stages of Dartitis?   Early stages of Dartitis? EmptyMon Apr 09, 2012 4:34 am

USMC80 wrote:

Top Point!!!!
Back to top Go down
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
Rebel

Rebel

PostSubject: Re: Early stages of Dartitis?   Early stages of Dartitis? EmptyMon Apr 09, 2012 4:50 am

Bo-Jangles wrote:
USMC80 wrote:

Top Point!!!!

Yes I agree, I have now bought a small device thats fits on the steering wheel, like a little handle that allows me to steer without any effort.

Just hoping it helps clink glasses
Back to top Go down
Bo-Jangles

PostSubject: Re: Early stages of Dartitis?   Early stages of Dartitis? EmptyMon Apr 09, 2012 5:20 am

Rebel wrote:
Bo-Jangles wrote:
USMC80 wrote:

Top Point!!!!

Yes I agree, I have now bought a small device thats fits on the steering wheel, like a little handle that allows me to steer without any effort.

Just hoping it helps clink glasses

Rotating Ball that clips (jubilee Clip) on the wheel? great acquisition. Truckers dream, All double Decker Buses used to have them !
Back to top Go down
Rebel

Rebel

PostSubject: Re: Early stages of Dartitis?   Early stages of Dartitis? EmptyMon Apr 09, 2012 5:25 am

Thats the one Very Happy great bit of kit and I can already feel the benefit of not constantly gripping the wheel, I will see if it stops my hand/ wrist aching over the next few weeks.
Back to top Go down
Bo-Jangles

PostSubject: Re: Early stages of Dartitis?   Early stages of Dartitis? EmptyMon Apr 09, 2012 5:31 am

Rebel wrote:
Thats the one Very Happy great bit of kit and I can already feel the benefit of not constantly gripping the wheel, I will see if it stops my hand/ wrist aching over the next few weeks.

There is also another bit of advice, touched on by somebody, Arthritis is a death knell to Dart throwers, I really do countenance Garlic Tablets (odourless are best). Although I state that you do not grip a dart your fingers still have to be pliable enough to position them correctly. Start as soon as you can with the Garlic. Take them daily!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Rebel

Rebel

PostSubject: Re: Early stages of Dartitis?   Early stages of Dartitis? EmptyMon Apr 09, 2012 7:00 am

It is quite worrying to us dart lovers that one day we may not be able to play the game anymore and obviously hand strains can be one thing that leads to us putting our darts away for the last time.

I will do everything that I can (even take garlic tablets spewing ) if it means that I am able to have another 3 arrows! darts throw

It is from thinking about, and reading, how we can keep out tools (minds, arms and hands in this case) in the very best condition to allow us to enjoy the sport of darts that I really feel for those who are unable to, either through arthritis, dartitis or other ailments, throw their darts like they once did.

Really brings home how lucky most of us are that we can even throw a dart, wether at tournament level, league level or just banging about in the spare room - the moral of the story - Just enjoy the darts while you still can. head spin

Thanks for all the advice, really appreciate it group hug

Last edited by Rebel on Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Saber

Saber

PostSubject: Re: Early stages of Dartitis?   Early stages of Dartitis? EmptyMon Apr 09, 2012 7:00 am

Garlic has medicinal properties for sure. Just make sure you don't over do it and if diabetic check with your physician first. Be sure that your not allergic to it of course. Larry RN
Back to top Go down
getagrip

getagrip

PostSubject: Re: Early stages of Dartitis?   Early stages of Dartitis? EmptyMon Apr 09, 2012 8:21 am

I think arthritis will be inevitable for me sadly, probably already got it, but it runs in the family.

I take garlic capsules and have done so for sometime so maybe it has helped to lessen problems, I also take glucosomine and a good multivitamin as well as omega 3 capsules.

I am sure they help.

Back to top Go down
Saber

Saber

PostSubject: Re: Early stages of Dartitis?   Early stages of Dartitis? EmptyMon Apr 09, 2012 9:08 am

getagrip wrote:
I think arthritis will be inevitable for me sadly, probably already got it, but it runs in the family.

I take garlic capsules and have done so for sometime so maybe it has helped to lessen problems, I also take glucosomine and a good multivitamin as well as omega 3 capsules.

I am sure they help.

and don't forget ya birth control pill chicken
Back to top Go down
Rebel

Rebel

PostSubject: Re: Early stages of Dartitis?   Early stages of Dartitis? EmptyMon Apr 09, 2012 9:18 am

cry laugh
Back to top Go down
getagrip

getagrip

PostSubject: Re: Early stages of Dartitis?   Early stages of Dartitis? EmptyMon Apr 09, 2012 7:52 pm

Nah I just use carrots instead! dancing carrot
Back to top Go down
Bo-Jangles

PostSubject: Re: Early stages of Dartitis?   Early stages of Dartitis? EmptyMon Apr 09, 2012 10:27 pm

Rebel wrote:

It is quite worrying to us dart lovers that one day we may not be able to play the game anymore and obviously hand strains can be one thing that leads to us putting our darts away for the last time.

I will do everything that I can (even take garlic tablets spewing ) if it means that I am able to have another 3 arrows! darts throw

It is from thinking about, and reading, how we can keep out tools (minds, arms and hands in this case) in the very best condition to allow us to enjoy the sport of darts that I really feel for those who are unable to, either through arthritis, dartitis or other ailments, throw their darts like they once did.

Really brings home how lucky most of us are that we can even throw a dart, wether at tournament level, league level or just banging about in the spare room - the moral of the story - Just enjoy the darts while you still can. head spin

This is the massive misunderstanding about darts, just because you have fingers, everyone assumes we grip, clasp, strangle the dart with them. Everyone believes that these digits are the sole reason we get the dart from A to B. It is not so!!!!!!!!
There are several areas of the whole aparatus that combine in the correct sequence and the correct manner to propel the dart forward. when done correctly it is so very easy and a great feeling of euphoria springs upon us. There should be no stress, pain, discomfortwhatsoever it is a glorious sensation of basically strutting your stuff. Puffing out your chest and enjoying the times afforded. Age has no input on this sport if you can do it at 16 you can do it at 96.
Back to top Go down
USMC80

USMC80

PostSubject: Re: Early stages of Dartitis?   Early stages of Dartitis? EmptyMon Apr 09, 2012 10:38 pm

Bo-Jangles wrote:
Rebel wrote:

This is the massive misunderstanding about darts, just because you have fingers, everyone assumes we grip, clasp, strangle the dart with them. Everyone believes that these digits are the sole reason we get the dart from A to B. It is not so!!!!!!!!
There are several areas of the whole aparatus that combine in the correct sequence and the correct manner to propel the dart forward. when done correctly it is so very easy and a great feeling of euphoria springs upon us. There should be no stress, pain, discomfortwhatsoever it is a glorious sensation of basically strutting your stuff. Puffing out your chest and enjoying the times afforded. Age has no input on this sport if you can do it at 16 you can do it at 96.

See larry, there's still a chance for ya!!!
Back to top Go down
Rebel

Rebel

PostSubject: Re: Early stages of Dartitis?   Early stages of Dartitis? EmptyMon Apr 09, 2012 10:59 pm

Bo-Jangles wrote:
Rebel wrote:

When you say 'aparatus' would that not be, as I said, minds, arms and hands. I think anyone that has ever thrown a dart realizes that you need more than just fingers to propel a dart, I am yet to see a crab win the World Championship! stir
I don't understand what I am 'misunderstanding' as I completely agree with you Bo, unless we are both misunderstanding something? confused

Regards,
Greg
Back to top Go down
Bo-Jangles

PostSubject: Re: Early stages of Dartitis?   Early stages of Dartitis? EmptyTue Apr 10, 2012 4:50 am

No we are not misunderstanding each other, the problem could be that you as so many others see the throwing of a dart as a two dimensional action whereas I see it as a three dimensional.
You look at your stance at the oche.
What you see is Eye, Hand, Dart, Dartboard , the classic dart players appraisal. (It makes no difference that you don't do it; in fact can't do it) it's what you see and sense.
I on the other hand do not see this ( top players don't) they may see the above appraisal but they sense the following.
Eye, Dart, hand dartboard.

Back to top Go down
Rebel

Rebel

PostSubject: Re: Early stages of Dartitis?   Early stages of Dartitis? EmptyTue Apr 10, 2012 4:59 am

I see what you mean (I think Very Happy ) however I am unable to line up eye-hand-dart-board as I am blind as a bat in my right eye and being right handed struggle to find a comfortable throw whereby I can bring the dart across in front of my left eye.

I tend to stretch my arm towards the target almost imagining the point in the spot that I am aiming and my pullback brings the dart into my collar bone, so out of sight before pushing through and releasing the dart - not eyedeal I know but its the best I can do in the circumstance.

Regards,
Greg
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Early stages of Dartitis?   Early stages of Dartitis? Empty

Back to top Go down

Early stages of Dartitis?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next