We have moved to www.dartsnutz.net
Darts Nutz forum has now moved to www.dartsnutz.net please register on that site instead.

Thanks!

Darts Nutz forum has now moved to www.dartsnutz.net please register on that site instead.

Thanks!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Re-register a new account there please

HomeLatest imagesOver practicing ? LPRegisterLog in

Photobucket

map1
Display Pagerank

Over practicing ?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Saber

Saber

Over practicing ? Empty
PostSubject: Over practicing ?   Over practicing ? EmptyFri Apr 06, 2012 2:33 am

Some times if I get stale I will take a day or two off from practicing and it seems to revitalize me. Does it happen to you?
Back to top Go down
USMC80

USMC80

Over practicing ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Over practicing ?   Over practicing ? EmptyFri Apr 06, 2012 2:38 am

No, yet to get stale. I keep changing it up every week. Sometimes even mess around and see how many darts I can get in a double or the bullseye.
Back to top Go down
madzkymadz

Over practicing ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Over practicing ?   Over practicing ? EmptySat Apr 07, 2012 12:06 pm

my shoulder got sore for practicing FS routines for two hours a days and two days straight. did i over practice me self ?
Back to top Go down
getagrip

getagrip

Over practicing ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Over practicing ?   Over practicing ? EmptySat Apr 07, 2012 6:52 pm

Well I only limit my practice due to achy wrist and knees.

If I had no physical troubles I think I would be playing about 4 hours or more everyday.

No idea how the pros can practice and play as much as they do without getting R.S.I.?
Back to top Go down
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dazdart
Bo-Jangles

Over practicing ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Over practicing ?   Over practicing ? EmptySat Apr 07, 2012 9:43 pm

getagrip wrote:

If I had no physical troubles I think I would be playing about 4 hours or more everyday.

No idea how the pros can practice and play as much as they do without getting R.S.I.?

You answer your own question and why Pro's are Pro's. You only get R.S.I. if the thing you are repetively doing is being done wrongly. Pro's don't, they do it correctly. (in most cases). That's why their PRO"S !!!! Also an immense need to win helps.

Back to top Go down
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
Saber

Saber

Over practicing ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Over practicing ?   Over practicing ? EmptySat Apr 07, 2012 10:55 pm

madzkymadz wrote:
my shoulder got sore for practicing FS routines for two hours a days and two days straight. did i over practice me self ?
Could be. Need to ease into it.
Back to top Go down
getagrip

getagrip

Over practicing ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Over practicing ?   Over practicing ? EmptySat Apr 07, 2012 11:16 pm

Bo-Jangles wrote:
getagrip wrote:

You answer your own question and why Pro's are Pro's. You only get R.S.I. if the thing you are repetively doing is being done wrongly. Pro's don't, they do it correctly. (in most cases). That's why their PRO"S !!!! Also an immense need to win helps.

Well that makes sense if something of a physical nature is been repeatedly performed wrongly then I agree it will cause an issue. However in my own case it is as much my natural physical problems as anything else, namely my hypermobility.

But I do know that some of them do get problems in their elbows and shoulders, my issue is mostly in my wrist, at least thats where it starts and travels down my forearm, I often thought it was to do with my grip been too tight and quite possibly that was part of the problem as it has not affected me as much now that I have loosened it, but I think using the Powerball has helped in my case as it has increased my wrist strength too.

But my joints can end up hurting in the most stupid of ways, last year I was putting an elastic band round the bin bag inside a dustbin, and my thumb felt like it had been sprained for weeks!

The hybermobility in my knees is causing me a lot of trouble of late, and I am not looking forward to been 20 years older, will probably end up in braces and a zimmer frame.
Back to top Go down
Bo-Jangles

Over practicing ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Over practicing ?   Over practicing ? EmptySun Apr 08, 2012 12:17 am

getagrip wrote:
Bo-Jangles wrote:
getagrip wrote:

Well that makes sense if something of a physical nature is been repeatedly performed wrongly then I agree it will cause an issue. However in my own case it is as much my natural physical problems as anything else, namely my hypermobility.

But I do know that some of them do get problems in their elbows and shoulders, my issue is mostly in my wrist, at least thats where it starts and travels down my forearm, I often thought it was to do with my grip been too tight and quite possibly that was part of the problem as it has not affected me as much now that I have loosened it, but I think using the Powerball has helped in my case as it has increased my wrist strength too.

I am glad that you found that relaxing your grip on the dart has helped you. It does not surprise me one iota though as there is actually no grip on a dart, in fact (and I know that this sounds bizarre) but good Dartists do not grip the dart.
"THE DART GRIPS YOU"
With the actual manipulation of your launching devices, the application and release of any grip is counter productive and near impossible to do. What everyone regards as a grip is actually a nestle in the hand (not necessarily above the hand) with the specific parts of the launching devices contacting specific areas of the dart. This enables the manouverability of the dart through several pivot points or Newtons third law of motion areas.
When I say that what a person observes or senses does not actually happen. it is a fact. Man is a very proud animal and cannot abide having his concrete assertions and beliefs questioned.
When I actually get round to placing the Video of my throw on to the site, no matter what it appears like I am not exerting any effort into the throw whatsoever, I have no grip on the dart, I do not throw purposefully at the board and I certainly do not throw the point of the dart at the target. Why not? "because it's no bloody done that way. There is not one push in my throw there isn't one in Taylor's, there wasn't one in Bristow s.
Just because the target is in front of you does not mean you have to throw directly at it.
Even our Troglodyte ancestors knew this.
If you exert pressure in any part of your body (say the fingers) that pressure extends to every part of your body and basically attacks the weaker parts i.e. the joints and sometimes the muscle formations. There is an action that I perform with one part of my hand/finger that to do it properly I activate an area that is in a totally different area on the hand!

But my joints can end up hurting in the most stupid of ways, last year I was putting an elastic band round the bin bag inside a dustbin, and my thumb felt like it had been sprained for weeks!
I obviously can't help you with your condition but I am pretty sure that I can make thragging a dart an easier and more enjoyable pleasure.
The most beautiful sound in the world is tungsten thudding into sisal, even better than leather on willow.

The hybermobility in my knees is causing me a lot of trouble of late, and I am not looking forward to been 20 years older, will probably end up in braces and a zimmer frame.
Back to top Go down
getagrip

getagrip

Over practicing ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Over practicing ?   Over practicing ? EmptySun Apr 08, 2012 12:55 am

yeah I understand that, and I know I was originally holding the dart too tightly, but I know when I have that feeling of the right amount of grip/or non grip as it were because
I get the sense of the darts weight in my fingers, its hard to describe but I know it when its right.

Still has not completely cured my aches though, just lessened the severity and frequency of it.

Back to top Go down
Bo-Jangles

Over practicing ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Over practicing ?   Over practicing ? EmptySun Apr 08, 2012 1:05 am

getagrip wrote:
yeah I understand that, and I know I was originally holding the dart too tightly, but I know when I have that feeling of the right amount of grip/or non grip as it were because
I get the sense of the darts weight in my fingers, its hard to describe but I know it when its right.

Still has not completely cured my aches though, just lessened the severity and frequency of it.

I'm pleased for you.
Splowder
Back to top Go down
rumandcork

rumandcork

Over practicing ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Over practicing ?   Over practicing ? EmptyTue Apr 10, 2012 8:40 am

I;m guilty of overpracticing. I always like to end my practice on a good note. an average session can go from 45 minutes to an hour and a half. Ill make up little challenges for myself and sometimes if im stuck on one my focus begins to suffer. Usually when this happens i'll do one of 2 things. I'll either throw a few darts left handed or i'll do what i call "the 12 foot cork" which is a mark about 4 feet to the left of the oche and 12 feet from the board. Ill shoot a few of these to kinda clear my mind and reboot my arm so to speak. then i'll continue the challenge i was stuck on until i get it. When i've succeeded i stop. But there have been timeswhen i've spent 4 hours practicing in one stretch which is too much for me arm. I did this a few weeks ago trying to hit every treble and every double 3 times in a throw. Forced myself to take a break for a couple of days. then came back and threw very well.
Back to top Go down
Gary O Connor

Gary O Connor

Over practicing ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Over practicing ?   Over practicing ? EmptyTue Apr 10, 2012 9:57 am

I generally practice Mon Wed Fri and play with friends on a Sunday ( bring a beer) ;)
Back to top Go down
getagrip

getagrip

Over practicing ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Over practicing ?   Over practicing ? EmptyTue Apr 10, 2012 7:40 pm

I think the quality of the practice is more key than the length of time though. No sense in practising a long time if your throwing badly.
Back to top Go down
Bo-Jangles

Over practicing ? Empty
PostSubject: Self inflicted stress, not Dartitis   Over practicing ? EmptyTue Apr 10, 2012 9:08 pm

getagrip wrote:
I think the quality of the practice is more key than the length of time though. No sense in practising a long time if your throwing badly.

Exactement !
This is Dartitis in all its ugliness. Actually why sufferers can't beat it.
Because sufferers are so bloody minded in their approach, couple this with their stubborn beliefs that what they are doing is what they have always done. These two things alone, doom sufferers to an existence of not being able to participate at darts as they once did.
Until you've been there; you have no comprehension as to the utmost despair you sink into.
Lives are destroyed, you carry on with your existence because it's the done thing. Can you imagine how many players great or not, have passed on never realising their dream of playing their sport as they were capable, just one more time. This is my goal in life, not the competition . I know how good I am. I have no need to prove it to anybody. My only goal in darts is the complete annihilation of Dartitis. Plus the instillation into the minds of all interested parties, the correct mind set that is absolutely vital.
You always hear sufferers iterate those famous words of "I am doing everything I used to do and I still can't throw the dart properly" If they actually thought about that simple statement, they would realise that this simple belief is in fact imbecilic. It's a physical and psychological paradox.
Lets apparently change the sport, (we aren't really as they are the same).
Longbow Archery; nearly every Archery site you can visit will champion the assertion, that an arrow is pushed from the bow, It is an insane idea. Do not confuse this adaptation with the Japanese Yumi (Bows) as the bow (when pulled correctly and in it's original fashion) is pulled differently. A Yumi archer can line up his shot and if he keeps completely still can look at the flight and still hit the target.
Pushed from the bow? It can not happen!
If it were possible to loose that arrow from that bow without actually holding that bow, the actions would completely reverse the positioning of the bow. Not only after and during the launch, would the the string and bow exchange places, but also the top of the bow would become the bottom of the bow and the bottom would become the top. There would be a complete reversal. The only thing that prevents this is the hand/ arm holding the bow, this incidentally and obviously prevents the acquisition of a follow through, which is requirement in darts. Another reason why darts is a far superior and much older sport!
I gob on to much and i apologise.
What you observe is not what you see.

Back to top Go down
Saber

Saber

Over practicing ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Over practicing ?   Over practicing ? EmptyTue Apr 10, 2012 9:28 pm

huh. okay then. Shocked
Back to top Go down
Bo-Jangles

Over practicing ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Over practicing ?   Over practicing ? EmptyWed Apr 11, 2012 2:21 am

SilverSaber wrote:
huh. okay then. Shocked

Forget it,
How can anyone ever perform an action without understanding what action they are performing.
If you understand and perform that action correctly the more practice that anyone does the better they must become. Even when you are completely knackered and consider your level of practice has deteriorated, it has not. The next time you recommence, your level of expertise has risen from the previous high point. It has to be, this will continue until you reach your zenith.
Back to top Go down
Rebel

Rebel

Over practicing ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Over practicing ?   Over practicing ? EmptyWed Apr 11, 2012 3:29 am

Practice makes perfect they said, and I guess this is perfect perfection:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f15LLE8EwGw
Back to top Go down
Veni

Veni

Over practicing ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Over practicing ?   Over practicing ? EmptyWed Apr 11, 2012 3:34 am

Bo-Jangles wrote:
SilverSaber wrote:
huh. okay then. Shocked

Forget it,
How can anyone ever perform an action without understanding what action they are performing.
If you understand and perform that action correctly the more practice that anyone does the better they must become. Even when you are completely knackered and consider your level of practice has deteriorated, it has not. The next time you recommence, your level of expertise has risen from the previous high point. It has to be, this will continue until you reach your zenith.

I agree with Bo here.
For me, I practice a lot, and I have improved my throw to a "correct" throw and I can throw for hours, days at a trot without feeling that I have any problems, and that even if I know I have a bad back and shoulder, and sometimes you just feel like you are taking one step forward and 3 steps back in the capacity.
But its just to keep on fighting, because it's when you feel that it's a bit stale in the improvement the real improvement kicks in. You raise your lowest game, and at the same time you are raising your "A"-game (damn I hate that expression, it was a sad day when the person got that phrase accepted)

I keep a statistic over my own game to see where the flaws are, and I focus my training a bit on the less good sides of my game, but of course I dont neglect my strengths either, that would be crazy. And therefore my practiceroutines changes, and of course, sometimes you just do a Barney, but its just to snap out of it.

And of course there are older players that say that they dont need to practice because they wont get any better even if they do. Those players wont get better because they have set their minds on that they cant get better.

And sometimes they can practice and DONT get better, but then they must analyze what they are practicing, because there could be some flaw in their practice that doesn't allow them to better themselves, but thats easily fixed just by thinking about HOW they practice.

Cheers!
Back to top Go down
Bo-Jangles

Over practicing ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Over practicing ?   Over practicing ? EmptyWed Apr 11, 2012 4:22 am

[quote="Rebel"]Practice makes perfect they said, and I guess this is perfect perfection:

Triff video and entirely backs up what I say. If you notice at the release of the arrow he also simultaneously releases the bow, the top of the bow was trying to exchange positioning with the bottom of the bow. If he could have released all the confining parts of his hand between thumb and forefinger the bow would have completely reversed. This video also shows the nearest that an archer can get to a follow through.

Back to top Go down
Saber

Saber

Over practicing ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Over practicing ?   Over practicing ? EmptyWed Apr 11, 2012 6:56 am

Bo I edited it so it shows in your post mate.
Back to top Go down
Bo-Jangles

Over practicing ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Over practicing ?   Over practicing ? EmptyWed Apr 11, 2012 7:08 am

SilverSaber wrote:
Bo I edited it so it shows in your post mate.

Are you saying no one else saw what I saw. Also with the 90% mental and 10% etc. Do you watch Bristow's "How to play darts" Vids.
Guano aren't they!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Over practicing ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Over practicing ?   Over practicing ? Empty

Back to top Go down

Over practicing ?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1