We have moved to www.dartsnutz.net
Darts Nutz forum has now moved to www.dartsnutz.net please register on that site instead.

Thanks!

Darts Nutz forum has now moved to www.dartsnutz.net please register on that site instead.

Thanks!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Re-register a new account there please

HomeLatest imagesDo you "push" or "throw" at the target? LPRegisterLog in

Photobucket

map1
Display Pagerank

Do you "push" or "throw" at the target?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Chalk Is Cheap

Do you "push" or "throw" at the target? Empty
PostSubject: Do you "push" or "throw" at the target?   Do you "push" or "throw" at the target? EmptyTue Mar 27, 2012 4:30 pm

I had a lot of words to explain the question but I'll keep it simple.

My best throw is a draw back and push the dart at the target (a bit like a free throw, or better, a forward pass in basketball).

How does your best throw feel? Do you hurl the spear at a fleeing gazelle or push it forward at a gnat's eye?

Smile

And slightly related:

What do you adjust to aim at the top and bottom of the board?

Throw harder/softer? Change the angle of attack so that the flight path hits the target but the throw is the same?

Just curious...
Back to top Go down
mc1958

mc1958

PostSubject: Re: Do you "push" or "throw" at the target?   Do you "push" or "throw" at the target? EmptyTue Mar 27, 2012 5:02 pm

Must admit I've never really thought about it before - probably more of a hurl than a push lol.

As for going downstairs (or at the sides or wherever), the throw is the same but the arm adjusts to follow where I'm aiming at.
Back to top Go down
chrisbamb

PostSubject: Re: Do you "push" or "throw" at the target?   Do you "push" or "throw" at the target? EmptyTue Mar 27, 2012 5:57 pm

I like the analogy there chalk (basketball type throw ), as I suppose it is a bit like that and the same finishing position for the follow through.

Mine's more of a push as well, I draw back, slight pause then push. Some of my team mates say I look like a catapult from the side on view as I draw back slowly and then it's like I'm coiled ready to strike, then someone cuts the rope holding me in place and away the arm goes. Smile

For above and below I tend to raise or lower the elbow slightly, but the actions the same.

I've got a mate who's a hurler and he's all over the place with his darts.
Back to top Go down
getagrip

getagrip

PostSubject: Re: Do you "push" or "throw" at the target?   Do you "push" or "throw" at the target? EmptyTue Mar 27, 2012 7:07 pm

I am not 100% sure but I think Gary Anderson's throw looks more like a push than a throw if thats what you mean.

Not sure I have completely settled on a style at all really, yesterday I was doing my A2 routine with my normal (as normal as can be) throw and was doing well. But I got stuck on the last 4 marks, then I just threw the darts in a kind of nonchalant relaxed manner and hit the rest of my marks in quick succession?

I think my style is more of a throw than a push though and like Mike I just tend to move my arm when aiming elsewhere.
Back to top Go down
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dazdart
TrollTheLocalPatriot

TrollTheLocalPatriot

PostSubject: Re: Do you "push" or "throw" at the target?   Do you "push" or "throw" at the target? EmptyTue Mar 27, 2012 9:44 pm

Neither ,because if I think about it I cant release
Back to top Go down
Saber

Saber

PostSubject: Re: Do you "push" or "throw" at the target?   Do you "push" or "throw" at the target? EmptyWed Mar 28, 2012 12:16 am

since my draw back is short I would call my action a push. I don't really think about it because you shouldn't in my opinion.
Back to top Go down
USMC80

USMC80

PostSubject: Re: Do you "push" or "throw" at the target?   Do you "push" or "throw" at the target? EmptyWed Mar 28, 2012 12:18 am

same with larry, my drawback is only a couple inches and I guess I push it forward
Back to top Go down
TROUBLEAGAIN

PostSubject: Re: Do you "push" or "throw" at the target?   Do you "push" or "throw" at the target? EmptyWed Mar 28, 2012 2:11 am

SilverSaber wrote:
since my draw back is short I would call my action a push. I don't really think about it because you shouldn't in my opinion.

Excellent post- Once you go down the road of thinking what your doing (like me) your doomed forever.
Back to top Go down
Bo-Jangles

PostSubject: Re: Do you "push" or "throw" at the target?   Do you "push" or "throw" at the target? EmptyWed Mar 28, 2012 5:35 am

USMC80 wrote:
same with larry, my drawback is only a couple inches and I guess I push it forward

As I read this and Silver saber input, I assume that you both pull your arm back from a semi cocked arm, or in other words you don't extend your arm towards the dartboard and pull back from the offer position as say Leighton Reese and Eric Bristow did. But you do both break the perpendicular with some part of your hand fingers or dart. If so you are compelled to pull the dart, you have no say in it because you are human! I hope this snippet helps.
Bo
Back to top Go down
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
USMC80

USMC80

PostSubject: Re: Do you "push" or "throw" at the target?   Do you "push" or "throw" at the target? EmptyWed Mar 28, 2012 5:38 am

Bo-Jangles wrote:
USMC80 wrote:

As I read this and Silver saber input, I assume that you both pull your arm back from a semi cocked arm, or in other words you don't extend your arm towards the dartboard and pull back from the offer position as say Leighton Reese and Eric Bristow did. But you do both break the perpendicular with some part of your hand fingers or dart. If so you are compelled to pull the dart, you have no say in it because you are human! I hope this snippet helps.
Bo

Ya, start semi cocked and def break perpendicular. Just not by much.
Back to top Go down
Bo-Jangles

PostSubject: Re: Do you "push" or "throw" at the target?   Do you "push" or "throw" at the target? EmptyWed Mar 28, 2012 5:49 am

USMC80 wrote:
Bo-Jangles wrote:
USMC80 wrote:

Bo

Ya, start semi cocked and def break perpendicular. Just not by much.

Thank you for that, so you pull! not a full pull yet, but you will get there!
Back to top Go down
getagrip

getagrip

PostSubject: Re: Do you "push" or "throw" at the target?   Do you "push" or "throw" at the target? EmptyWed Mar 28, 2012 8:27 am

I think a video of your throw would help a lot Bo?

Back to top Go down
USMC80

USMC80

PostSubject: Re: Do you "push" or "throw" at the target?   Do you "push" or "throw" at the target? EmptyWed Mar 28, 2012 8:33 am

getagrip wrote:

I concur
Back to top Go down
TrollTheLocalPatriot

TrollTheLocalPatriot

PostSubject: Re: Do you "push" or "throw" at the target?   Do you "push" or "throw" at the target? EmptyWed Mar 28, 2012 8:49 am

getagrip wrote:

Only if he is as good as

Last edited by USMC80 on Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:55 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : removed profanity)
Back to top Go down
Bo-Jangles

PostSubject: Re: Do you "push" or "throw" at the target?   Do you "push" or "throw" at the target? EmptyThu Mar 29, 2012 2:22 am

Interesting video. surprisingly both throws are similar, the only difference is Havenga is a backhander, or to put it another way he believes he is left eye dominant. Another point is that if anyone regards that either of these players push the dart, there is something seriously wrong.
Edited this note because I did Havenga the disservice of misspelling his name.
Bo
Back to top Go down
Bo-Jangles

PostSubject: Video   Do you "push" or "throw" at the target? EmptyThu Mar 29, 2012 2:56 am

getagrip wrote:

Getagrip &USMC80

You would honestly believe so and so did I for a long time,
I was trying to teach one of my proteges via webcam. Nearly every Saturday and Sunday for various lengths of time, for three years he watched me throw and I would explain what I was doing and the feelings I was sensing. Now and again he would do it and i would scream at him "Thats it, you just did it" but he never clicked he remarked on the immense amount of velocity he'd just delivered the dart with but he could not retain the thought. This is the guy I traveled all the way to the UK to apply a hands on approach, but , well that's history.
You see there are two areas that have never been mentioned in darts before also they are also beneath the skin, so to speak. Also the main action is performed in such a way that most would not actually consider possible however most good players do it but are oblivious. This action brings into the equation the use of a Biaxial joint. The actions open the mind and allow you to accomplish other types of delivery. For instance it makes you realise that your fingers do not end at the Knuckle but extend to the wrist, I wonder how many dart players realised that before.
Bo
Back to top Go down
Saber

Saber

PostSubject: Re: Do you "push" or "throw" at the target?   Do you "push" or "throw" at the target? EmptyThu Mar 29, 2012 3:11 am

Now this just my opinion, If ya start with your arm extended on the draw back you have lots of time to make error before the launch. A shorter draw back to me (my opinion now) doesn't totally eliminate this but it sure eliminates 90% of that particular problem. So for me I bring the dart close to me eye slowly then launch with speed much like a jet being catapulted off the deck of a air craft carrier. That's me throw ie push or what ever because I don't think about it just do it. Its my natural stroke.
Back to top Go down
Bo-Jangles

PostSubject: Re: Do you "push" or "throw" at the target?   Do you "push" or "throw" at the target? EmptyThu Mar 29, 2012 5:16 am

Hi Silversaber
Just your opinion, but good and valid! Your appreciation of what you do is of the highest priority. It is your honest appraisal and I will not try to dissuade you in any way. That would be counterproductive. As this is what you are certain of and you accomplish the task in hand!
That's me throw ie push or what ever because I don't think about it just do it. Its my natural stroke.
It is a good train of thought.
Regards
Bo

Back to top Go down
Saber

Saber

PostSubject: Re: Do you "push" or "throw" at the target?   Do you "push" or "throw" at the target? EmptyThu Mar 29, 2012 5:49 am

Bo-Jangles wrote:
Hi Silversaber
Just your opinion, but good and valid! Your appreciation of what you do is of the highest priority. It is your honest appraisal and I will not try to dissuade you in any way. That would be counterproductive. As this is what you are certain of and you accomplish the task in hand!
That's me throw ie push or what ever because I don't think about it just do it. Its my natural stroke.
It is a good train of thought.
Regards
Bo

Well thank you Bo.
Back to top Go down
Bo-Jangles

PostSubject: Re: Do you "push" or "throw" at the target?   Do you "push" or "throw" at the target? EmptyThu Mar 29, 2012 5:56 am

You should thank yourself, you see your appraisal is honest and honesty is the dart throwers biggest attribute and weapon. Darts without honesty=No Sport!
Back to top Go down
Veni

Veni

PostSubject: Re: Do you "push" or "throw" at the target?   Do you "push" or "throw" at the target? EmptyThu Mar 29, 2012 7:02 pm

I would say that I push the dart, I have a very short drawback. I start with my arm a little cocked then I launch the dart to the board Smile

But hey, It works quite good for me :P
Back to top Go down
the_cutter

the_cutter

PostSubject: Re: Do you "push" or "throw" at the target?   Do you "push" or "throw" at the target? EmptyMon Apr 02, 2012 11:03 am

I recently realized that I push the dart than pull. My darts land parallel to the floor that way and are more consistent. If only I get more consistently landing on the treble 20, now that's another concern. Smile
Back to top Go down
getagrip

getagrip

PostSubject: Re: Do you "push" or "throw" at the target?   Do you "push" or "throw" at the target? EmptyMon Apr 02, 2012 7:16 pm

the_cutter wrote:
I recently realized that I push the dart than pull. My darts land parallel to the floor that way and are more consistent. If only I get more consistently landing on the treble 20, now that's another concern. Smile

It will improve mate, just takes time and practice darts throw
Back to top Go down
rumandcork

rumandcork

PostSubject: Re: Do you "push" or "throw" at the target?   Do you "push" or "throw" at the target? EmptyWed Apr 11, 2012 1:21 am

pusher man here
Back to top Go down
martin reggie perring

martin reggie perring

PostSubject: Re: Do you "push" or "throw" at the target?   Do you "push" or "throw" at the target? EmptyWed Apr 18, 2012 5:03 am

great question,i do both depends on how tired my shoulder gets and some days pushing just seems to work better but some days not at all..best place to find this out is during warm ups ..both can be effective
Back to top Go down
dvsdog

dvsdog

PostSubject: Re: Do you "push" or "throw" at the target?   Do you "push" or "throw" at the target? EmptySun Jun 03, 2012 11:51 pm

Just had a toss to give this some thought and developed the yips for a bit. Had to just toss at bull for a few minutes to get any rhythm at all so more proof to the adage, don't think, throw.

As I've said in other posts I've got shoulder issues. The short version is the higher my hand the arm tends to wander. In my discovery to develop my best accuracy and a consistent confident toss I utilized George's grouping drills and have definitely become a thrower. Except at the top, 5, 20, & 1. My follow thru being higher I encountered that issue with my shoulder and pushing held for more accuracy on those numbers.

As this messed up my rhythm for the rest of the board I've worked hard to develop muscle memory by throwing at these numbers in practise and become more capable, but I have to accept that my percentage for them will likely remain unstable. Hence I usually work for set ups that don't require tops to finish but if left there I'm going to give it a go before setting up a finish lower down when the shoulder is especially wonky on that day.

As to chalk's aiming aspect, I angle the point and follow thru it at the target. 12-8 & 18-15 I make the slightest of foot adjustment, no more than an inch. If slightly blocked I will move on the oche for a better angle.
Back to top Go down
Saber

Saber

PostSubject: Re: Do you "push" or "throw" at the target?   Do you "push" or "throw" at the target? EmptyFri Sep 14, 2012 8:19 am

bump
Back to top Go down
Goofy

Goofy

PostSubject: Re: Do you "push" or "throw" at the target?   Do you "push" or "throw" at the target? EmptyFri Sep 14, 2012 8:49 am

I play darts........ and i will never ever think about the mechanics of my throw Laughing Push, pull, place, i have no idea....... they mostly go where i want them to so i'm happy enough Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://tehbasement.com/forum.php
Saber

Saber

PostSubject: Re: Do you "push" or "throw" at the target?   Do you "push" or "throw" at the target? EmptyFri Sep 14, 2012 9:57 am

Amen Goofy
Back to top Go down
shrek

shrek

PostSubject: Re: Do you "push" or "throw" at the target?   Do you "push" or "throw" at the target? EmptyFri Sep 14, 2012 11:19 am

I must be a thrower. Point buried to the barrel when I retrieve from the board.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Do you "push" or "throw" at the target?   Do you "push" or "throw" at the target? Empty

Back to top Go down

Do you "push" or "throw" at the target?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next