We have moved to www.dartsnutz.net
Darts Nutz forum has now moved to www.dartsnutz.net please register on that site instead.

Thanks!

Darts Nutz forum has now moved to www.dartsnutz.net please register on that site instead.

Thanks!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Re-register a new account there please

HomeLatest imagesDoubles Strategy  LPRegisterLog in

Photobucket

map1
Display Pagerank

Doubles Strategy

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage

Doubles Strategy  Empty
PostSubject: Doubles Strategy    Doubles Strategy  EmptySat Feb 02, 2013 10:20 am

I figured I'd post this up and see if we get any difference of opinions here.

Jeff had a shot on the bull from 161 while the other team was on 163 and couldn't finish. He missed and left 25. The other team set themselves up nicely and Part failed to check out in the next turn. The Swedish team finished and it changed momentum of the entire match. Instead of going 3-0 up the Canadian team found themselves down 4-3 at one point. The Canadians ended up winning a close one, but should of it been so close?

This certainly ISN'T a local luck of the draw. My question here is what would you of done in a match of this caliber?

Here's the video of that part of the match and the commentators certainly tell you what they think.

Back to top Go down

Doubles Strategy  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doubles Strategy    Doubles Strategy  EmptySat Feb 02, 2013 10:41 am

I guess I'll go 1st. Let me start off by saying Jeff is one of the best players in North America. Not only is he a good player, he represents the sport of darts very well. He looks like a professional which I think is important. I have also not known him to say much of anything negative about darts. A great addition to the big stage imo.

That being said, personally I would of left my partner set up on 40 or 32 for the next turn. As the announcers said, you have to do things a bit different in pairs play. I'm also wondering if small errors like that are magnified on the big stage? Maybe Jeff gets away with things like that back in Canada and the states because he is so good? But against great players we see what one bad dart can do to an entire match.

Also in the second match Jeff got the same reaction from the commentators by going at 52 a certain way. He went 16 to leave 36. Which is Jeff's favorite outshot. Ended up leaving his partner with 9. It didn't matter because the other team finished in the next turn. But would it of been better to go 12 or 20 and leave a 1 dart finish for your partner in case you miss?

Do you guys play differently in pairs???

Thoughts??
Back to top Go down
Smiling Assassin

Smiling Assassin

Doubles Strategy  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doubles Strategy    Doubles Strategy  EmptySat Feb 02, 2013 11:12 am

Its an intersting one.

Put it this way if you had 25 left with 1 dart in your hand and your playing partner was James Wade, you would go for 5 to leave him double 10. Rather than going 9 for double 8.

But if you were playing with Phil Taylor or Barney you would hit 9 for double 8. You wouldnt even consider 5 for double 10.

To me it is horses for courses, and if you can leave your partner the doubles they like then do it. But if you are on a two dart combination you should go which way you want if you have 2 or 3 darts in your hand.
Back to top Go down

Doubles Strategy  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doubles Strategy    Doubles Strategy  EmptySat Feb 02, 2013 11:19 am

^^^ But what would you of done with 50 left and one dart in hand like on the video? Go for it or leave your partner nice for the next turn?
Back to top Go down
mattstan

mattstan

Doubles Strategy  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doubles Strategy    Doubles Strategy  EmptySat Feb 02, 2013 11:26 am

Always make sure of the win, not the glory
Back to top Go down
Smiling Assassin

Smiling Assassin

Doubles Strategy  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doubles Strategy    Doubles Strategy  EmptySat Feb 02, 2013 11:50 am

In this situation he should have left what double John Part wanted. Which most likley would have been double 16.
Especially with Sweden being on a bogey number. If Sweden had been on a finish, such as a 170 or 167 I could have understood him having a shot at the bull.
But even in a situation where your opponent needs a 170 or 167, 80% of player would still set up and ask the question of their opponent.
Back to top Go down
Saber

Saber

Doubles Strategy  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doubles Strategy    Doubles Strategy  EmptySat Feb 02, 2013 3:05 pm

JD wrote:
^^^ But what would you of done with 50 left and one dart in hand like on the video? Go for it or leave your partner nice for the next turn?
I would go with the odds and shoot 18 to leave double 16- thats me - I mean Parts a former World Champ and with a single 9 he has 2 darts at a double .
Back to top Go down

Doubles Strategy  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doubles Strategy    Doubles Strategy  EmptySat Feb 02, 2013 3:11 pm

Saber wrote:
JD wrote:
I would go with the odds and shoot 18 to leave double 16- thats me - I mean Parts a former World Champ and with a single 9 he has 2 darts at a double .

I agree with leaving him a look at 32. But world champ or not, 3 darts at 32 is better single 9, double 16. Added pressure when there shouldn't of been any.
Back to top Go down
Saber

Saber

Doubles Strategy  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doubles Strategy    Doubles Strategy  EmptySat Feb 02, 2013 3:20 pm

I agree Jd - Like I said I would shoot the 18. read my thread on helping players or beating them up lol
Back to top Go down
Nucky

Nucky

Doubles Strategy  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doubles Strategy    Doubles Strategy  EmptySat Feb 02, 2013 4:10 pm

He should have taken out the bull!!!!!

Go Canada Go!!!!!!!!!!

canada canada canada
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/search/results.php?q=Robert+Drinovz&
Jimbo21

Jimbo21

Doubles Strategy  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doubles Strategy    Doubles Strategy  EmptySat Feb 02, 2013 6:55 pm

I believe in the 1st instance, he should have set Part up and in the 2nd instance, he would of expected to get that 52 po, thats why he went the way he did.

In hind sight, it is hard to say if he would have got that 52 going the more standard way.
Back to top Go down
getagrip

getagrip

Doubles Strategy  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doubles Strategy    Doubles Strategy  EmptySat Feb 02, 2013 7:45 pm

Maybe he though if he hit the bull it would have been more of a psychological blow to the swedish team?
Back to top Go down
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dazdart
Nucky

Nucky

Doubles Strategy  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doubles Strategy    Doubles Strategy  EmptySat Feb 02, 2013 7:51 pm

I agree with grip. And if I'm not mistaken, Mr. Part was in the commentary box and said that if you get a shot at a big checkout, you should go for it. I think the commentator really made a big deal about it. Yes, three clear darts at a double are great but shouldn't a three time world champion be able to have at least two shots at it without any trouble?

Go Canada Go!!!!!!
canada canada canada
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/search/results.php?q=Robert+Drinovz&
Sponsored content

Doubles Strategy  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doubles Strategy    Doubles Strategy  Empty

Back to top Go down

Doubles Strategy

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1