We have moved to www.dartsnutz.net
Darts Nutz forum has now moved to www.dartsnutz.net please register on that site instead.

Thanks!

Darts Nutz forum has now moved to www.dartsnutz.net please register on that site instead.

Thanks!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Re-register a new account there please

HomeLatest imagesLeo Newstead darts LPRegisterLog in

Photobucket

map1
Display Pagerank

Leo Newstead darts

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
getagrip

getagrip

Leo Newstead darts Empty
PostSubject: Leo Newstead darts   Leo Newstead darts EmptyWed Feb 08, 2012 10:54 pm

The Leo Newstead darts were made by the Jim Pike company and are a little longer than the Pike darts, they are also a bit rarer as there is more Pikes than Newstead about. I have a 3 sets.

These are 24g in a Pike box:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
229. Leo Newstead's 24g by dazdart, on Flickr

These 25g, in an original albeit battered Newstead box, these are a much earlier set:

286. Very Early set Leo Newsteads 25g by dazdart, on Flickr

Another 25g set:

1a. Leo Newsteads by dazdart, on Flickr
Back to top Go down
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dazdart
McInnis180

McInnis180

Leo Newstead darts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Leo Newstead darts   Leo Newstead darts EmptyThu Feb 16, 2012 11:42 pm

I think you should give me a set...... dancing carrot lol!
Back to top Go down
getagrip

getagrip

Leo Newstead darts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Leo Newstead darts   Leo Newstead darts EmptyFri Feb 17, 2012 1:17 am

You should have bid on the last set I had on Ebay they went cheap at £10.99, they used to go for £25+
Back to top Go down
DR. DARTS

Leo Newstead darts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Leo Newstead darts   Leo Newstead darts EmptyTue Oct 02, 2012 2:22 am

My first darts were a Leo Newstead set that I bought brand new when I was so much younger than I am now. They had push-in canes and, of course, paper flights. After WW2 Jim Pike set up his company and had made his own signature darts plus those of two of his News of the World Team of Champions teammates, namely Leo Newstead and Johnny Ross. The fourth member of the Team had been a player named Harry Head but for some unknown reason his 'name' darts were never made. I believe Johnny Ross darts are the rarest of the Jim Pike range. They had/have a smooth barrel and for some reason (unknown to me) proved very popular in South Africa!
Back to top Go down
getagrip

getagrip

Leo Newstead darts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Leo Newstead darts   Leo Newstead darts EmptyTue Oct 02, 2012 2:28 am

Was brass the very first metal they used for darts or did they try other metals first?
Back to top Go down
DR. DARTS

Leo Newstead darts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Leo Newstead darts   Leo Newstead darts EmptyThu Nov 01, 2012 2:27 am

Originally darts were made of wood and imported in their hundreds of thousands from France. (Yes, darts is (partly) French!!!) To begin with they were only available in one weight but then lead was added either around the barrel (a process called 'banding') or 'injected' into the barrel (called 'loaded') and thus variations of weight (usually light, medium and heavy) appeared.

As far as I can tell, brass was always the metal of choice for darts manufacture until of course tungsten arrived. It was easily machineable but also resilient and strong. I have a catalogue dated 1929/30 which shows the wooden French darts as well as brass "Trueflight" darts (manufactured by NODOR) and 'cane and brass ferruled darts', the latter 'Light' retailing at nine shillings (that's 45p) for a box of three dozen darts!
Back to top Go down
getagrip

getagrip

Leo Newstead darts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Leo Newstead darts   Leo Newstead darts EmptyThu Nov 01, 2012 2:59 am

lol I wish darts were that cheap now! 45p! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Leo Newstead darts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Leo Newstead darts   Leo Newstead darts Empty

Back to top Go down

Leo Newstead darts

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1