We have moved to www.dartsnutz.net
Darts Nutz forum has now moved to www.dartsnutz.net please register on that site instead.

Thanks!

Darts Nutz forum has now moved to www.dartsnutz.net please register on that site instead.

Thanks!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Re-register a new account there please

HomeLatest imagesNews of the World Silver Darts, ( a bit of spit and Polish) LPRegisterLog in

Photobucket

map1
Display Pagerank

News of the World Silver Darts, ( a bit of spit and Polish)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
shafted

News of the World Silver Darts, ( a bit of spit and Polish) Empty
PostSubject: News of the World Silver Darts, ( a bit of spit and Polish)   News of the World Silver Darts, ( a bit of spit and Polish) EmptyThu Nov 29, 2012 8:58 pm

I received these through the post yesterday after winning them for £103, Which is a bargain really as the later Unicorn version which come up in auction a lot more often than these do are selling for quite a bit more than these achieved, but saying that iv'e noticed on Ebay that the sellers description and accompanying photographs make a world of difference in attracting bidders on the auction site.

The seller did quite a poor job listing these, poor photographs, with a battered set of feathered flights in, even though the original set of canes and rings was in the case in quite good condition, no pictures or description of the hallmark were displayed, they were practically black a quick polish would have worked wonders, he described them as a second prize, yet not on the case or anywhere else does it say this. but cant complain his loss is my gain.

I recognized as soon as I saw them that they was pre war as I already own a 1939 set but minus the original case, which is what attracted me to these. I have only seen two sets of these up to now, and I own them both. After a few minutes simple research I could date them to be made by Bravington's, with the Bimingham anchor,and the lion essay and the letter O dates at 1938. They have the initials F.E.B on them which I assume to be the original winners initials. I have added the paper flights for effect.

These are the poor photographs that accompanied them on eBay and if it wasn't for the case I would not of bid for them.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

And this is what a bit of TLC and some better photograph's does for them

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Back to top Go down
Veni

Veni

PostSubject: Re: News of the World Silver Darts, ( a bit of spit and Polish)   News of the World Silver Darts, ( a bit of spit and Polish) EmptyThu Nov 29, 2012 9:05 pm

Damn. What a change Smile

Great work on those Smile They look lovely Smile
Back to top Go down
mc1958

mc1958

PostSubject: Re: News of the World Silver Darts, ( a bit of spit and Polish)   News of the World Silver Darts, ( a bit of spit and Polish) EmptyThu Nov 29, 2012 11:16 pm

I saw them but too rich for me. They most likely are runners up darts as the FEB is probably F.E.Betts of the Waterman's Arms, Norwich, who got beat 2-1 by Fred Wallis in the 1937-38 London & Home Counties final

You've done a grand job there in restoring them to their original condition as well - have a +1 for a job well done
Back to top Go down
getagrip

getagrip

PostSubject: Re: News of the World Silver Darts, ( a bit of spit and Polish)   News of the World Silver Darts, ( a bit of spit and Polish) EmptyThu Nov 29, 2012 11:30 pm

Nice one Neil! happy dude

I knew when I seen them they were worth a lot more and was very tempted to put in a bid of £150 but luckily for you I have bought too much of late and my cards are started to bleed, lol

Its always the case though that people list such things when you need to be careful.

Silly man for not displaying them better though, I am sure they would have sold more if they had.

If you ever feel like selling in the future give me a shout.

Well done on the clean up too! good job
Back to top Go down
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dazdart
shafted

PostSubject: Re: News of the World Silver Darts, ( a bit of spit and Polish)   News of the World Silver Darts, ( a bit of spit and Polish) EmptyThu Nov 29, 2012 11:34 pm

Good work There mc1958, To be honest I didn't check the old winners and runners up result as at this point they were awarding a set a week out outstanding darts thrown and witnessed, recorded in league's etc, so assumed it would be to long a shot, but you may well be onto something. I repay the +1 with thanks
Back to top Go down
shafted

PostSubject: Re: News of the World Silver Darts, ( a bit of spit and Polish)   News of the World Silver Darts, ( a bit of spit and Polish) EmptyThu Nov 29, 2012 11:53 pm

Thank's for not putting a bid in for them Darren, my top bid was £135 so you would have got em, these are actually off my wife for my birthday (thanks Sharon). and If i'm ever selling will give you a shout. There is actually something on now that I really want but got to restrain myself, I know they are gonna sell for a good sum.
Back to top Go down
Stuart180

Stuart180

PostSubject: Re: News of the World Silver Darts, ( a bit of spit and Polish)   News of the World Silver Darts, ( a bit of spit and Polish) EmptyFri Nov 30, 2012 12:25 am

Well done Shafted, lovely darts, and nicely cleaned up.
Back to top Go down
shafted

PostSubject: Re: News of the World Silver Darts, ( a bit of spit and Polish)   News of the World Silver Darts, ( a bit of spit and Polish) EmptyFri Nov 30, 2012 7:47 pm

Somebody had a good day at auction. Sold at £70

http://www.tennants.co.uk/catalogue/Lots/139024.aspx
Back to top Go down
getagrip

getagrip

PostSubject: Re: News of the World Silver Darts, ( a bit of spit and Polish)   News of the World Silver Darts, ( a bit of spit and Polish) EmptyFri Nov 30, 2012 9:02 pm

Looks like it, did you win them?

If not I bet they will be on ebay soon. Pity they dont have the original case though.
Back to top Go down
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dazdart
shafted

PostSubject: Re: News of the World Silver Darts, ( a bit of spit and Polish)   News of the World Silver Darts, ( a bit of spit and Polish) EmptyFri Nov 30, 2012 11:23 pm

No not me Darren, If someone has bought them to sell on, they should do well, Iv'e seen just the badge alone sell for £15 before now, The majority of the darts are just run of the mill, but get a decent set of canes in the silver one's and they will look smart, like you said though its a shame the case is absent.
Back to top Go down
mc1958

mc1958

PostSubject: Re: News of the World Silver Darts, ( a bit of spit and Polish)   News of the World Silver Darts, ( a bit of spit and Polish) EmptyFri Nov 30, 2012 11:37 pm

That is a damned good price for that little collection.

A badge recently sold for just over £25 recently. I put in a bid just under that expecting the final price to be cheaper, but some other bugger went higher than me lol.

Back to top Go down
eplea

eplea

PostSubject: Re: News of the World Silver Darts, ( a bit of spit and Polish)   News of the World Silver Darts, ( a bit of spit and Polish) EmptyTue Feb 26, 2013 2:59 pm

I reckon the seller had no idea what they were other than an old set of darts.

Past dealings with eBay would have me think that the seller of these "assumed" they were second place darts and advertised as such because of the "Prize Silver Darts" written under New Of The World in the case. It has the words "PRIZE" and everyone knows that GOLD is first, SILVER is second. Prize Silver Darts = second place.

Well done! And BEAUTIFUL darts!!
Back to top Go down
shafted

PostSubject: Re: News of the World Silver Darts, ( a bit of spit and Polish)   News of the World Silver Darts, ( a bit of spit and Polish) EmptyTue Feb 26, 2013 7:31 pm

Thankyou eplea
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: News of the World Silver Darts, ( a bit of spit and Polish)   News of the World Silver Darts, ( a bit of spit and Polish) Empty

Back to top Go down

News of the World Silver Darts, ( a bit of spit and Polish)

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1