We have moved to www.dartsnutz.net
Darts Nutz forum has now moved to www.dartsnutz.net please register on that site instead.

Thanks!

Darts Nutz forum has now moved to www.dartsnutz.net please register on that site instead.

Thanks!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Re-register a new account there please

HomeLatest imagesStem weight LPRegisterLog in

Photobucket

map1
Display Pagerank

Stem weight

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
DIRTY G

DIRTY G

Stem weight Empty
PostSubject: Stem weight   Stem weight EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 12:32 am

Gyday all.

I am a virgin poster and would like to see iff any of you darters can bust a cherry for me.

I have beeen trying to flatten my THROWN dart (for stacking) and have found that the stems known as "HEAVY METAL" specalty stems found on most online dart shops has seriously done this. Maybe a little to much. They weigh 4g as opposed to standard ali at 1.4g. I was thinking maybe a little lighter stem might do the trick, and the stem i was thinking of is the titanium phase 5 purist slick stick stem or maybe somthing in the sigma range. My questions are as follows.

1. How heavy is the titanium phase 5 purist slick stick stem?

2. How long is it from barrell flange to bottom of flight?

3. Dose the phase 5 slick stick fit other barrels? <-----------threw that in there just incase

5. Is there anythig in the sigma range that might do the trick?

Thanks peeps

Back to top Go down
Saber

Saber

Stem weight Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stem weight   Stem weight EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 12:50 am

Hi dirty G,
I don't really know but we have some members here who do am sure.. My darts stick with flights pointing up naturally no matter what dart,stem or flight I use. Your natural throw may not permit you to flatten, but then again experimenting may bring you your desired results. I turn this over to members who may be able to better answer your questions mate.
Back to top Go down
spat66

spat66

Stem weight Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stem weight   Stem weight EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 1:11 am

Titanium is very light in weight so I'm not sure they would give you the weight your looking for. I have a set of phase 5s with the titanium side loaders but they are not in front of me right now so I can't give you the measurements. The are 2ba thread so the will fit any dart with that thread. Those phase 5 darts lay beyond flat for me! I throw a flat dart, I just tried some kite flights instead of pears and the darts started standing up alot.
Back to top Go down
DIRTY G

DIRTY G

Stem weight Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stem weight   Stem weight EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 1:29 am

Yes my darts do land flight up saber but not extreem. to aleliate this t genraly use a strait shank short stem and kite shape flight. If i were to use a toploaded barrell i would land darts like a 90year old's erection Smile. however to test these heavyer and LONGER stems i put them on an old set of toploaders with standard DIMPLED ruthless flights, usaly a recipe for disaster (for me) and the bloody things were slightly flight up about 80deg. got the controll back that a larger flight and longer stem givs ya pluss forward weight. But on my straight barell they are landing slightly lower at 90%.

Just hoping someone out there has a set of phase 5 stems and a set fo scales Grips smile
Back to top Go down
DIRTY G

DIRTY G

Stem weight Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stem weight   Stem weight EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 1:37 am

Thanx spat think you answerd my question then (titanium light).
I had a shot with some phase 5s and they were landing flatter than i would have expected i thought this was due to the stem weight.
I mainly use kites aswell and while stuffing around with frontloaded barrel i found that if you turn the kite around backward it seems to flatten the throw a bit. No use to you though Smile
Back to top Go down
spat66

spat66

Stem weight Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stem weight   Stem weight EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 2:02 am

A heavier dart seems to be all it takes for me to flatten out. Smaller flights sem to work for me without going heavier but I alway seem to adjust my throw to whatever I got on
Back to top Go down
Stuart180

Stuart180

Stem weight Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stem weight   Stem weight EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 3:37 am

As said above, try using small flights (like taylors old ones)
Back to top Go down
TheFox180

Stem weight Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stem weight   Stem weight EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 5:21 am

Iv just recently acclomished the art of flat landing darts for stacking and y set up is as follows. 24g Dave chisnalls, short nylon stems and slim flights
Back to top Go down
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
DIRTY G

DIRTY G

Stem weight Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stem weight   Stem weight EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 9:17 pm

Thanx all for replying. I am aware that smaller flight flatten darts out due to less drag and makes them faster, but i find i get more kicking around if my throw isnt good. FOR ME i find a larger flight stabalizes the dart more, I would like to keep this aspect and would rather opt for heavyr stems. My questions to my original post are still out there. What do phase 5 sideload stems weigh?

P.S. Spat
I am already at 26g
Back to top Go down
Stuart180

Stuart180

Stem weight Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stem weight   Stem weight EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 9:38 pm

Slick Sticks are not going to be what you're looking for in my opinion.

There are too many variables for us to say really (such as - Darts used, your grip, how you throw etc).

Why do you want your darts laying flat anyway?
Mine stand up slightly and I hit tons of scores just fine, if your natural action is making them land like that then i'd just leave it alone and work with what you've got.

If you really want to carry on trying, then slim flights is the way forward, Barney did it (although look what tinkering with his set up got him ... not the same player he was when his darts stood up!)

Back to top Go down
rabsmith2

rabsmith2

Stem weight Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stem weight   Stem weight EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 10:06 pm

Try pear shape flights mate
Back to top Go down
spat66

spat66

Stem weight Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stem weight   Stem weight EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 10:18 pm

I use pear flights with 22g V180 Chizzys - it's a long dart wich I think helps for the flattness of the throw.
Back to top Go down
DIRTY G

DIRTY G

Stem weight Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stem weight   Stem weight EmptyThu Aug 16, 2012 3:42 am

rant on Thanks again for all your input. But the post is for HOW MUCH DOSE PHASE 5 SIDE LOAD STEM WEIGH? A medium ali weighs 1.4g, a medium brass stem weighs 4g a short ali weighs 1g and a short brass weighs 3g. At the moment i use 26g 50mm barrel, short nylon stem and kite flight, the darts are landig slightly flight up (PERFECT), but i want to give some old front loaded barrels a go. as we all know this style of barrell naturaly DROOPS but i got my hand on some medium brass stems and set them up with STANDARD shaped flights and they were landing SLIGHTLY FLIGHT DOWN. Im not a fan of the droopy dart as it covers numbers and is harder to STACK. i am aware of the diferance different shaped and length barrels, stem length and flight shape can have on the final bedding of a dart. You only have to turn a kite shape flight backward to see some of this effect.

As a fairly new darter I am serching for the perfect setup THAT WORKS FOR ME and when i find it there will be no more experamenting and i will stick to that.

So thanks again and HOW MUCH DOSE PHASE 5 SIDE LOAD STEM WEIGH?
lenght would also be appreciated.

Back to top Go down
getagrip

getagrip

Stem weight Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stem weight   Stem weight EmptyThu Aug 16, 2012 3:52 am

If I had some I would weigh them and let you know, I will tweet the question for you.
Back to top Go down
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dazdart

Stem weight Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stem weight   Stem weight EmptyThu Aug 16, 2012 4:03 am

Honestly it sounds like you're putting too much effort into worrying about stem weight. You said you are fairly new to darts. I would recommend just putting in HOURS of decent practice. As you get better you will be able to control the dart better. By just sliding your fingers back or forward a mm or so you can change the way a dart sits in the board.

So as a new player I would say just get playing. That way as you improve you can experiment with different stuff along the way. What works for you now WILL be totally different as you get better.
Back to top Go down
Big Gun

Big Gun

Stem weight Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stem weight   Stem weight EmptyThu Aug 16, 2012 6:20 am

The only set up that flattens my throw are slim flights with any stem. I flight my darts but it doesn't matter how I throw with Slim flights in the land flat or pointing downwards so try a longer stem with slim flights and you might find it helps.
Back to top Go down
getagrip

getagrip

Stem weight Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stem weight   Stem weight EmptyThu Aug 16, 2012 8:21 am

Will I tweeted the question mate and got no answers for you.
Back to top Go down
rabsmith2

rabsmith2

Stem weight Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stem weight   Stem weight EmptyThu Aug 16, 2012 8:23 pm

Dirty G, to be honest in al the time That I have thrown darts the weight of stems never came into it. If you are going to be that precise I only foresee problems for you. l personally found at the start it was hard enough to get the right barrels. It is just a matter of trail by error, using the right stems and flights can only be decided by you. I think how they fly and land is more important than weight.
Back to top Go down
getagrip

getagrip

Stem weight Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stem weight   Stem weight EmptyThu Aug 16, 2012 9:17 pm

I am stoopid, I had your answer all along in the 2013 Unicorn book, it says the Phase 5 stems weigh 1.97g Very Happy

The heaviest stem in the book is the Maestro at 2.07g Smile
Back to top Go down
DIRTY G

DIRTY G

Stem weight Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stem weight   Stem weight EmptySat Aug 18, 2012 5:53 am

Thanks GRIP YOUR A CHAMP those weight are heavyer than standard ali stems, and might be what I am looking for (another 1/2g would be nice). Is this book you talk of avalable for downloading and do other companys stipulate there stem weight in there catalougs?

WINMAU
When I say Im new to darts I mean COMP DARTS Ive been a backyarder for many many years and my throw is quite solid (that is my BBB avatar and lots more of them). I am just trying to fine tune my darts.

Thanx to everyone who took the time to reply, im going to try and post some pics of some of my experements with heavy shafts and I cant help but wonder how many of you may dust off some lighter old barrel's and giv it a go Very Happy .
Back to top Go down
DIRTY G

DIRTY G

Stem weight Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stem weight   Stem weight EmptySat Aug 18, 2012 6:02 am

Dam I cant figur out how to post pictures, had some good ones 2, would have opend the minds of the douters out there. Plus I wanted to show off my modified brass stem that fits into a cosmo flight Smile

Im not very computer thingy ma jigy.

Last edited by DIRTY G on Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
USMC80

USMC80

Stem weight Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stem weight   Stem weight EmptySat Aug 18, 2012 6:03 am

hop in the chat box we can help
Back to top Go down
getagrip

getagrip

Stem weight Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stem weight   Stem weight EmptySat Aug 18, 2012 8:27 am

Here is an online link to the 2013 book Dirty G, I have the actual book but dont know if the other manufacturers state their stems weight:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
DIRTY G

DIRTY G

Stem weight Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stem weight   Stem weight EmptySat Aug 18, 2012 3:57 pm

Thanx again GRIP for your time, will have a nosey at that link.

Finaly figured out how to post pictures so hear is the PUDDING.

[img][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][/img]
22g Lightning fighters with modified 4g brass stem to fit cosmo flights and 1 normal nylon stem.
Yes they do spin but only when hit and no rattel.

[img][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][/img]
24g DART9's modified stems to fit cosmo's and 1 with original carbon fiber stem. Couldnt get the cosmo's to spin but im sure I can if i tried.

Sorry to anyone who has to now dust of there old barrell,s and go through finding there perfect dart again.

Although these darts do lay flatter for ME I am sure that this will not be the case for everyone. Thanks again everone and good darting. Very Happy

Back to top Go down
getagrip

getagrip

Stem weight Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stem weight   Stem weight EmptySat Aug 18, 2012 6:24 pm

Thats very interesting then, the difference in angle is plain to see, well done on posting the pics too good job
Back to top Go down
the_cutter

the_cutter

Stem weight Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stem weight   Stem weight EmptySun Aug 19, 2012 3:53 am

i agree with big gun, try slim flights and a longer stem. depending on your throw speed, the dart should land parallel to the floor. phase 5 is good as well.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Stem weight Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stem weight   Stem weight Empty

Back to top Go down

Stem weight

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1