We have moved to www.dartsnutz.net
Darts Nutz forum has now moved to www.dartsnutz.net please register on that site instead.

Thanks!

Darts Nutz forum has now moved to www.dartsnutz.net please register on that site instead.

Thanks!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Re-register a new account there please

HomeLatest imagesSoft tip darts in the uk LPRegisterLog in

Photobucket

map1
Display Pagerank

Soft tip darts in the uk

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
maverick

Soft tip darts in the uk Empty
PostSubject: Soft tip darts in the uk   Soft tip darts in the uk EmptyMon Aug 06, 2012 5:09 am

Theres been some mention on the forum regarding members from other countries buying soft tip darts so this begs the question will they catch on in the uk ?
Personally i dont think so ! And to be honest i would rather it didnt , Its the tradition of the english pub with the bristle dartboard and the what seems compulsory brass darts behind the bar Smile
The biggest change in darts in the uk in my memory was the change from brass to tungsten , I just cant see it edging out the steel tip darts .
I look forward to the forums thoughts on this

Mav
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Soft tip darts in the uk   Soft tip darts in the uk EmptyMon Aug 06, 2012 5:38 am

I agree Mav. Steel tip will always be popular in the UK. It has "roots" there. Unfortunately here in the states darts has seen a decline since the Lucky Strikes events many decades ago. My very 1st tournament was the 1996 Witch City open. A $30,000 event back then. Fast forward over 15 years and there's really nothing like it now. Steel tip has kind of faded out as far as I'm concerned. Our local steel tip league that was once ADO sponsored and featured many nationally ranked players folded up a couple years ago. It's gone.

On the other hand, soft tip tourney's seem to be the wave of the future here in the states. I was at the NY state championships a couple months ago and it was HUGE!!!! They gave away a BRAND NEW CAR!!! What steel tip event has done that I ask?
Also, with Dartslive coming here in September with a 1st place payout of $13,000 will draw massive crowds. It certainly sparked my interest. I believe if Dartslive continues on course it will ignite a passion for darts here in the states like we've never seen before. The same as it's doing in Asia, Japan and many other countries.

But to stay on topic... NO, soft tip darts will not catch on in the UK. They already have everything you could imagine. Sponsors, massive crowds, tv coverage, and most importantly... the average person LOVES to watch the pro's play. We couldn't fill an arena here in the states giving away FREE tickets to watch darts. Yet in the UK it's a sold out event every time the PDC puts on show. 2 completely different worlds.
Back to top Go down
Donkey

Donkey

PostSubject: Re: Soft tip darts in the uk   Soft tip darts in the uk EmptyMon Aug 06, 2012 5:50 am

Damn you soft tip! I hate you!!!!!!! Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Soft tip darts in the uk   Soft tip darts in the uk EmptyMon Aug 06, 2012 6:38 am

i would love to give soft tip a go
Back to top Go down
Saber

Saber

PostSubject: Re: Soft tip darts in the uk   Soft tip darts in the uk EmptyMon Aug 06, 2012 7:59 am

Its a fun game .
Back to top Go down
getagrip

getagrip

PostSubject: Re: Soft tip darts in the uk   Soft tip darts in the uk EmptyMon Aug 06, 2012 8:32 am

I hope it never takes hold in the UK but I think it will eventually, it will sooner or later appeal to the younger generation with its techy video game style nature. Its also possible that the two may merge in some way, may steel tip boards will be like the soft tip with the automatic scoring etc?
Back to top Go down
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dazdart
Donkey

Donkey

PostSubject: Re: Soft tip darts in the uk   Soft tip darts in the uk EmptyMon Aug 06, 2012 8:44 am

That could be something grip.
Back to top Go down
spat66

spat66

PostSubject: Re: Soft tip darts in the uk   Soft tip darts in the uk EmptyMon Aug 06, 2012 10:40 am

There already is steel tip machines, I've played on them. I didn't care for it, one you have to put quarters in and if you have a bounce out it still counts. They would back the board up to subtract the bounce out dart. The boards worked really good though- they would also tell you what your out shot was wich I didn't care for. That's a big part of the game.
Back to top Go down
getagrip

getagrip

PostSubject: Re: Soft tip darts in the uk   Soft tip darts in the uk EmptyMon Aug 06, 2012 6:53 pm

Interesting Shawn, the bounce out darts counting is a bad idea though, I think only darts that stay in the board should be valid.

I think putting money in the machines is one of the factors why the soft tip machines have become so prevalent, the pubs/bars etc can make money from them.
Back to top Go down
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dazdart
mc1958

mc1958

PostSubject: Re: Soft tip darts in the uk   Soft tip darts in the uk EmptyMon Aug 06, 2012 7:21 pm

I'd like to give soft tip a go at some point in time, but I can't see it overtaking steel tip in pubs and clubs over here in my lifetime.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Soft tip darts in the uk   Soft tip darts in the uk Empty

Back to top Go down

Soft tip darts in the uk

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1