We have moved to www.dartsnutz.net
Darts Nutz forum has now moved to www.dartsnutz.net please register on that site instead.

Thanks!

Darts Nutz forum has now moved to www.dartsnutz.net please register on that site instead.

Thanks!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Re-register a new account there please

HomeLatest imagesLoss of confidence LPRegisterLog in

Photobucket

map1
Display Pagerank

Loss of confidence

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
x2v

x2v

Loss of confidence Empty
PostSubject: Loss of confidence   Loss of confidence EmptyWed May 23, 2012 10:26 am

Hi all,

I don't usually post things like this, but my game is in a bit of a pickle at the moment and I could do with some good advice.
As the title suggests, I'm pretty much fed up with darts right now as nothing is going right.
I don't know, ever since this dartitis business I've never been able to reacquire the skill and metal ability as before.
It's such a shame, back then I had no fear and felt that I could beat anyone.
I was considered one of the top young players in Australia back in 2009, traveling the states playing in the DPA. (pretty much the Australian equivalent of the PDC pro tour).
Just before the move to England, my average was in the mid 70's, now I'll be lucky to get over 60.

Inconsistency sums up my game right now, in practice I can hit a 180, but then I would follow it up with 30 or something.
It's even worse in matches with scores like 45, 26, 60, then if I'm lucky enough, I might be able to fluke 100.
Surprisingly I am actually hitting the doubles, just about the only good part of my game thats working for me.

I've tried tweaking my throw on countless occasions, with no luck.
Before I never had to do this, I just stepped up and threw without a second thought.
Nothing feels right, my release, my stance, my rhythm and even my thinking process.
Completely out of ideas, I don't know what to do.

Maybe I should take up Bowls or something, I used to be good at that too.

Back to top Go down
hamo

hamo

Loss of confidence Empty
PostSubject: Re: Loss of confidence   Loss of confidence EmptyWed May 23, 2012 10:40 am

Maybe George would be able to help more as this seems like a problem he would have seen before....my advice would be to take a step back for a while and let yourself cool off from this feeling.I wouldn't keep track of your average at this time because if its not what you used to throw it will only dent your confidence more......I'm not good experienced enough at darts at the minute to be giving advice to anyone but I have had this with other sports and was sooooo frustrated.If it was me i would chill for a while and come back fresh as if you were starting from scratch. But don't rush it,the urge to play will return. I understand how frustrating it is but once you take a break I find the drive/passion and enjoyment returns and that's when your game returns and improves.

Just my 2cents...hope it all works out mate
Back to top Go down
the_cutter

the_cutter

Loss of confidence Empty
PostSubject: Re: Loss of confidence   Loss of confidence EmptyWed May 23, 2012 10:45 am

Sad to hear that you are going through this. I cannot give any technical darting advice regarding your situation. But like anything in life when we experience a loss of confidence or failure, just keep your head up.

Try putting down your darts for a while, relax and have fun through other activities. When you have 'almost' forgotten about darts, try throwing again and see what happens. You may be surprised how a little time away can do wonders.

Good luck!
Back to top Go down
USMC80

USMC80

Loss of confidence Empty
PostSubject: Re: Loss of confidence   Loss of confidence EmptyWed May 23, 2012 10:56 am

Im in no position to give advice but I do agree with Hamo about not keeping track of your averages right now
Back to top Go down
x2v

x2v

Loss of confidence Empty
PostSubject: Re: Loss of confidence   Loss of confidence EmptyWed May 23, 2012 10:56 am

Thanks.
yeah, maybe taking a week off wouldn't be such a bad idea.
The passion and enjoyment is still there, its just a little tricky to keep positive at the moment.
Hopefully my determination will get me through this and maybe I'll come back a better player, who knows.
Back to top Go down
hamo

hamo

Loss of confidence Empty
PostSubject: Re: Loss of confidence   Loss of confidence EmptyWed May 23, 2012 11:23 am

smooth seas do not make skilled sailors

And birds always sing after the storm

Keep your head up,it will pass and no doubt you will come back stronger. After all,if you are on a path with no obsticles it probably doesn't lead anywhere.
Back to top Go down
the_cutter

the_cutter

Loss of confidence Empty
PostSubject: Re: Loss of confidence   Loss of confidence EmptyWed May 23, 2012 11:24 am

hamo wrote:

Keep your head up,it will pass and no doubt you will come back stronger. After all,if you are on a path with no obsticles it probably doesn't lead anywhere.

well said, hamo.
Back to top Go down
madzkymadz

Loss of confidence Empty
PostSubject: Re: Loss of confidence   Loss of confidence EmptyWed May 23, 2012 1:04 pm

I can relate to this one too x2v. We have the same experience right now as I have experienced it last week. I can't understand my throw because lately I was consistent in hitting a ton. George told me that I just had a bad night and it's no big deal. Just look at the bright side. I took 3 days off the oche and went back and the consistency is getting there. Just don't discourage but be motivated as this is a stepping stone to something better. Hope you can able to get your confidence up as I do now. Enjoy the game.

-madz
Back to top Go down
getagrip

getagrip

Loss of confidence Empty
PostSubject: Re: Loss of confidence   Loss of confidence EmptyWed May 23, 2012 7:55 pm

I think not too long ago x2v you were playing well, so that proves you have the ability.

It sounds more to me like you have been trying too hard and got into the trap of analysing every little detail which is the problem I think, once you start to think about one thing then you think of another and it just snowballs to the point were your thinking more about how to do it than just doing it!

A little break might help and trying to occupy the mind with something else for a while.
Back to top Go down
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dazdart
Dalman

Dalman

Loss of confidence Empty
PostSubject: Re: Loss of confidence   Loss of confidence EmptyWed May 23, 2012 9:20 pm

hamo wrote:

Are you Eric Cantona by any chance? Very Happy

For what it's worth I have been steadily improvng recently and after months of trying have finally found a team to play for. I played for them in a pre-season friendly last week and was absolute rubbish. I won 2-0 but that was more a reflection of how bad my opponent was. We are playing a return friendly with them tonight and I am determined to get it right.

I didn't feel nervous last week but I obviously wasn't playing my normal (practice) game. I think it's a question of trying too hard so tonight i am going to throw as if it is a practice. I think I held the darts tighter and threw them harder in the match than normal and also took more of a backswing. Anyway i'll soon see if the theory is correct tonight.

I know I only have the experience of one match behind me but I just think you should try and identify any differences to the way you throw in practice and in matches.
Back to top Go down
coryroth

coryroth

Loss of confidence Empty
PostSubject: Re: Loss of confidence   Loss of confidence EmptyWed May 23, 2012 11:24 pm

I can invite you over for a couple of beers and a game or two of 501. You'll get your confidence back real quick after playing me! head spin
Back to top Go down
x2v

x2v

Loss of confidence Empty
PostSubject: Re: Loss of confidence   Loss of confidence EmptyWed May 23, 2012 11:27 pm

Thanks guys,

Nice ideas.

You are right Grip, I have indeed been analyzing everything I do, my throw, my stance, my grip and so on. And because of this unsureness, I've actually been getting very nervous in matches causing me to lose confidence.

From now on, I will try clearing my mind and just play without thinking about it, just like in the old days.
I know the ability's still there, as sometimes I can still produce some of the best darts of my life, even if its only in practice and in bursts, at least its a sign.

I'll have a couple of days off, then I will return with a new way of thinking, just to enjoy the game and stop worrying about every little detail.

Back to top Go down
x2v

x2v

Loss of confidence Empty
PostSubject: Re: Loss of confidence   Loss of confidence EmptyWed May 23, 2012 11:30 pm

coryroth wrote:
I can invite you over for a couple of beers and a game or two of 501. You'll get your confidence back real quick after playing me! head spin

Sounds like fun, if only we weren't 5562 Kilometers apart.
Back to top Go down
Saber

Saber

Loss of confidence Empty
PostSubject: Re: Loss of confidence   Loss of confidence EmptyWed May 23, 2012 11:33 pm

I highly suggest that you join Flight School (its free and George will help you). at the bottom on my signature is the link mate. Good luck and keep ya chin up. Oh I do know this, don't play against yourself its not a good thing. Anyway join and get the book Darts Beginning to End by George Silverzahn. Let us know how ya doing! Laughing
Back to top Go down
x2v

x2v

Loss of confidence Empty
PostSubject: Re: Loss of confidence   Loss of confidence EmptyWed May 23, 2012 11:38 pm

Flight school? Hmm, I've heard of it but never knew what it was.
Sounds interesting, I'll be sure to check it out.
Back to top Go down
Saber

Saber

Loss of confidence Empty
PostSubject: Re: Loss of confidence   Loss of confidence EmptyTue May 29, 2012 2:57 am

X2V how ya doing buddy?
Back to top Go down
x2v

x2v

Loss of confidence Empty
PostSubject: Re: Loss of confidence   Loss of confidence EmptyTue May 29, 2012 10:49 am

Thanks for asking.
It's getting better, already some signs of improvement.
Still nowhere near the level I want, but I am slowly making progress.
Tonight I played my first "A league" game since moving here. I played one of the towns top Superleague players and won 3-2.
Although my scoring was very inconsistent I did take my chances as I was 3/5 on doubles.
I remember the last leg decider, after a poor start, I was back on 256 while my opponent was on 86 or something.
I was able to turn the tables by hitting 135 and 81 to leave D20.
The other guy had 3 darts to win but hit two above the wire and one in the five. So I stepped up and hit 40 with first dart to claim victory.

So, yeah, I am starting to feel a bit more confident and I'm pretty sure my old game will return in due course.

Back to top Go down
USMC80

USMC80

Loss of confidence Empty
PostSubject: Re: Loss of confidence   Loss of confidence EmptyTue May 29, 2012 12:14 pm

Good to hear buddy
Back to top Go down
getagrip

getagrip

Loss of confidence Empty
PostSubject: Re: Loss of confidence   Loss of confidence EmptyTue May 29, 2012 6:54 pm

yep glad to hear that mate!
Back to top Go down
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dazdart
Sponsored content

Loss of confidence Empty
PostSubject: Re: Loss of confidence   Loss of confidence Empty

Back to top Go down

Loss of confidence

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1