We have moved to www.dartsnutz.net
Darts Nutz forum has now moved to www.dartsnutz.net please register on that site instead.

Thanks!

Darts Nutz forum has now moved to www.dartsnutz.net please register on that site instead.

Thanks!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Re-register a new account there please

HomeLatest imagesUnicorn Phase 5 sideloading stems LPRegisterLog in

Photobucket

map1
Display Pagerank

Unicorn Phase 5 sideloading stems

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ochejockey

Unicorn Phase 5 sideloading stems Empty
PostSubject: Unicorn Phase 5 sideloading stems   Unicorn Phase 5 sideloading stems EmptyThu May 03, 2012 9:20 am

I purchased a set of these to match my Phil Taylor Phase 6 barrels. These are a two piece setup. There is a base piece that is titanium and screws into the barrel and there is a plastic stem that screws into the top of the base. The base is flared at the bottom and matches the Phase 6 barrels seamlessly. The flare has three concentric grooves cut into it for grip. It is short and stout and would be very difficult to damage. The plastic stem is very thin and flexible. There is a slight seam between the base and the top stem that could possibly catch the point of a following dart. The top stem gains some rigidity from the flight which is inserted into the slot in the side of the stem. You fold two wings (I think it's best not to use the two that are touching when you get the flattened flight) together and slide them through the slot, and let them expand on the other side. The two ends of the flight as well as the flight's spine are inside the stem. The tip of the stem acts as a natural, built-in flight protector. With the slot there are some limitations in the length of flights that will fit. For example, I got some Harrow's graflite V-wings and Pentathlon XXX flights at the same time I got these and they are much too long to fit. My friend gave me some coal cracker flights to try and because of their scalloped end, they are way too short. Typical flights seem fine though. I've put standards, kites, fantails, and DXMs in them. It seems there may me some slight imperfections in the ends of the slots or the flights themselves that may cause you to have to slightly push the tip of the flight in or may leave a minimal gap between the tip and slot. The overall length of them seems long, but remember your flight goes into the stem. The flight location with these are equal to the flight location on a short nylon stem. There is a hefty initial investment in these. I bought them at the same time and from the same place as the Phase 6 barrels and they were slightly more than 1/4 the cost of the barrels. They do come with 3 replacement tops. I bought extra replacement tops in different colors when I purchased these. They come as a set of 6 and were cheaper than a set of three Gripper 2 nylon stems that I normally buy. The titanium bases should last many, many months if not a year+. I've used one set of tops exclusively for practice and they've got about 15 hours of wear on them. They're perfectly fine for practice still and I would use them in competition if I needed to. They're quite flexible, so they're easier on flight wear too I think. There are two places where I have noticed a problem with them. First, while the tip offers a natural flight protector, it is larger than the add-on flight protectors and more blunt, so I have gotten a couple bad deflections and bounce-outs from them. Second, at the base of the slot there's a slight groove and I have caught it with following darts. This generally results in bounce-out instead of deflections. I'm not sure if the frequency of these is more than the typical robin-hooding of other stems. Another aspect on the plus side is that they're thinner than nylons, bubbles, and most metal stems. This gives you a bit more room and better view of the target for following darts. The titanium bases are offered in the colors of the Phase 5 and 6 barrels. The top stems come in red, white, black, blue, and green. Overall, I am very pleased with these and intend to continue using them with the Phase 6 barrels unless I find some further problems with them upon more extensive use. I rate them 7/10.
Back to top Go down
Saber

Saber

PostSubject: Re: Unicorn Phase 5 sideloading stems   Unicorn Phase 5 sideloading stems EmptyThu May 03, 2012 10:11 am

got some of those side loaders if ya interested.
Back to top Go down
hamo

hamo

PostSubject: Re: Unicorn Phase 5 sideloading stems   Unicorn Phase 5 sideloading stems EmptyThu May 03, 2012 11:12 am

I never liked these.i found i was getting bigger deflections etc but as said by OP im nót sure if they would have robin hooded if I was using normal deflectagrips etc.. I also still managed to knock flights out of the sideloaders,I'm not sure how it was happening but it happened more than once,and I found the plastic too flexible and ended up not straight after a short period.in my personal opinion I think their a gimmick and help big Phil fill his pockets.

All that said I'm no pro and only used 3 sets before I quit them.could have been a bad batch,could have been my throwing style or might just not suit me.I wouldn't tell people not to try them because they must obviously work for some people,just not to my taste and thought I would share my experiences with them. hijacked
Back to top Go down
getagrip

getagrip

PostSubject: Re: Unicorn Phase 5 sideloading stems   Unicorn Phase 5 sideloading stems EmptyThu May 03, 2012 7:09 pm

Cant say I ever liked side loaders either, always felt too loose to me, and overall just did not like the feel of my dart with them on.
Back to top Go down
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dazdart
Veni

Veni

PostSubject: Re: Unicorn Phase 5 sideloading stems   Unicorn Phase 5 sideloading stems EmptyThu May 03, 2012 7:49 pm

I use sideloaders sometimes, but the only ones that was worth the money was the Sigma Magnesium Smile

But thats my opinion Smile
Back to top Go down
ochejockey

PostSubject: Re: Unicorn Phase 5 sideloading stems   Unicorn Phase 5 sideloading stems EmptyFri May 04, 2012 3:08 am

These Phase 5's are much improved over the old slikstiks. I tried them 3 or 4 years ago and didn't like them at all. They seemed cheap and fragile. I could put a bend in them and they wouldn't come back straight. These are a bit stouter and I haven't experienced a bending problem yet. Thanks for reading everybody!
Back to top Go down
Rebel

Rebel

PostSubject: Re: Unicorn Phase 5 sideloading stems   Unicorn Phase 5 sideloading stems EmptyFri May 04, 2012 3:29 am

Just to add, I used short slik stiks with shorter, stumpy darts and found that they worked brilliant for myself, used thick kite flights and really liked them, my darts used to fly excellent.
However when I switched to Lewis' that are 4-5mm longer the slik stiks went as they were causing all sorts of movement on the release.

So in my opinion, I would use them for shorter darts (40-45mm) but for anything longer I wouldn't bother.

I found storing the plastic part of the stem in a match box kept them straight and just left the metal part in my darts.
Back to top Go down
the_cutter

the_cutter

PostSubject: Re: Unicorn Phase 5 sideloading stems   Unicorn Phase 5 sideloading stems EmptyFri May 04, 2012 8:16 am

I used used plastic slik stiks on my apollos and they actually fly well with sigma pro flights. However, I considered the cost long-term, and shifted to target nylon stems and pear flights that I felt would be more cost-effective. My current setup gives me more stability, but I do miss how the darts fly with the old one.

I have no problems with plastic part of the side loaders bending. They actually help reduce bounceouts, for me, at least.

Update: Bought Phase 5 sideloaders for my Phase 6. Initially put Target pears that I thought fit well, but the darts wobble in mid-air. Finally decided to get hold of Unicorn Pears and use them instead. What a difference they made as they fit snuggly (of course, they're Unicorn!) onto the stems. The darts now fly better and more controlled.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Unicorn Phase 5 sideloading stems   Unicorn Phase 5 sideloading stems Empty

Back to top Go down

Unicorn Phase 5 sideloading stems

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1