We have moved to www.dartsnutz.net
Darts Nutz forum has now moved to www.dartsnutz.net please register on that site instead.

Thanks!

Darts Nutz forum has now moved to www.dartsnutz.net please register on that site instead.

Thanks!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Re-register a new account there please

HomeLatest imagesA free and easy way to find dead center. LPRegisterLog in

Photobucket

map1
Display Pagerank

A free and easy way to find dead center.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Rebel

Rebel

A free and easy way to find dead center. Empty
PostSubject: A free and easy way to find dead center.   A free and easy way to find dead center. EmptyMon Apr 23, 2012 5:07 am

Not sure where I first saw this but I have used it to good effect both at home and the pub, it's free and takes about 1 minute of your time.
We have seen the 'invention' of the sight right, well at £15 + postage I thought no way, so looked around and found this great idea which I will now show you how to make and explain how to use it.

First of all you need a piece of card about A4 in size, an old cereal box, photo paper or just regular A4 paper will do but it wont hold up as long.

So once you have your A4 card you need to fold it concertina style with about 7 folds (as shown below):
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Next, flatten it out and draw a thick black mark down the center (any colour will do, just make sure its contrast to the card you are using):

OK, next you need to 'shape' the card into the sturdy concertina shape as shown here:

So thats the thing made, now to explain how it works.

Ideally use a plumb or if you are confident place the card on the floor directly under the Bullsye so that the black line is dead in line with the center of the board.

On the following images you will see how it lines you up so that you are stood dead center rather than too far left or right:

Too far left:

Too far right:

Dead center:

I know some folk like to stand off one way or another but to many players not standing dead center can cause over compensating when throwing, leading to stray darts left and right of the target.
With this little freebie, which you can stick in your pocket and take to matches with you, will make sure that every dart is thrown from the central position.

Hope some of you guys find this useful and it saves you a few quid in the bargain happy dude

Regards,
Greg

Back to top Go down
mc1958

mc1958

PostSubject: Re: A free and easy way to find dead center.   A free and easy way to find dead center. EmptyMon Apr 23, 2012 5:45 am

I've seen this elsewhere before and it's a good idea if you like to stand dead centre (I actually stand to the right). Have you seriously taken it to matches with you - what did your teammates (or even the opposition) think lol
Back to top Go down
Rebel

Rebel

PostSubject: Re: A free and easy way to find dead center.   A free and easy way to find dead center. EmptyMon Apr 23, 2012 5:56 am

Yeah, you only use it for maybe 10-15 seconds, then once you are happy that you are central find a mark on the oche, a splinter or knot of wood, maybe a nail or bit of pattern on the rug, then see where your foot is in line with the 'mark' and then you are good to go.

And yeah, teammates thought I was round the twist head spin although opposition liked the idea, maybe they were just humoring me Me Thinking

Back to top Go down
mc1958

mc1958

PostSubject: Re: A free and easy way to find dead center.   A free and easy way to find dead center. EmptyMon Apr 23, 2012 6:00 am

lol - I must admit I have got my ochemate out and measured the throw before now - also got the referees tool out to make sure the board was straight at the same time. That got some funny looks as well, but at least I proved the throw was a couple of inches short!!!
Back to top Go down
Rebel

Rebel

PostSubject: Re: A free and easy way to find dead center.   A free and easy way to find dead center. EmptyMon Apr 23, 2012 6:24 am

There is a hell of a lot of difference between throw if the leagues I have played in so that is probably the way to go.

May look at getting the referee tool at some point in the future.

Back to top Go down
Saber

Saber

PostSubject: Re: A free and easy way to find dead center.   A free and easy way to find dead center. EmptyMon Apr 23, 2012 7:53 am

Great tip mate, I know that a tool needs to be used in our league on some boards. Last place I played ya had to move the board on center because it wasn't secure. Very annoying.
Back to top Go down
getagrip

getagrip

PostSubject: Re: A free and easy way to find dead center.   A free and easy way to find dead center. EmptyMon Apr 23, 2012 8:25 am

Nice one Rebel, I actually bought a sight right ages ago, think it was on a special offer at the time of about £12, that was the only reason I got it.

I never used the thing until the other day. I already have a line drawn on the floor from what I thought was the centre of the Bull. Using the sight right I found my mark on the floor was out by about an inch. I stood at my usual mark then looked at the sight right, the line was perfectly straight. So I had been standing in the right place after all.

However that is just how my left eye sees it, my shoulder is not in line with it, so I am not sure if I should adjust so my shoulder is in line or stay where my eye line is seeing centre? Me Thinking
Back to top Go down
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dazdart
ochejockey

PostSubject: Re: A free and easy way to find dead center.   A free and easy way to find dead center. EmptyTue Apr 24, 2012 3:48 am

getagrip wrote:
Nice one Rebel, I actually bought a sight right ages ago, think it was on a special offer at the time of about £12, that was the only reason I got it.

I never used the thing until the other day. I already have a line drawn on the floor from what I thought was the centre of the Bull. Using the sight right I found my mark on the floor was out by about an inch. I stood at my usual mark then looked at the sight right, the line was perfectly straight. So I had been standing in the right place after all.

However that is just how my left eye sees it, my shoulder is not in line with it, so I am not sure if I should adjust so my shoulder is in line or stay where my eye line is seeing centre? Me Thinking

It's only meant to put your eyeline in square with the bull. Don't change your stance. Using it for a period of time, it's suppose to condition you to stand in the same place on the oche every time, making you more consistent. It's also suppose to make you more consistent by putting you equidistant from opposite points in the same hemisphere on the dartboard. Your throw at triple 16 should be the same as your throw at triple 15. Throwing double 12 out should feel the same as throwing double 18 out. While this is a more accurate statement when compared with the same throws for someone who stands significantly to the left or right, it isn't technically true unless you throw your dart from in front of your dominant eye. I believe you and I are both RH and LED, but we throw off our right eye, so our throws to the left side of the board are still a bit longer than our throws to the right side. I've gone back and forth about doing this or not. I try to line up looking at the bull, and I believe I'm centered. I don't know if I want to find out I am wrong. It could be one more insecurity in my head. What if I use it before a match, pick out a spot on the floor that's in line, then later I look down and can't find that spot? Am I worried at that instead of the target on the board?
Back to top Go down
Rebel

Rebel

PostSubject: Re: A free and easy way to find dead center.   A free and easy way to find dead center. EmptyTue Apr 24, 2012 3:54 am

Great points and well explained.

I accept it isn't for everyone but for those who want to give it a go and see if it works for them it will take less than a minute of your time to make and costs nothing.

It works for me which is why I shared, maybe it will work for others, maybe not but there it is anyway.

Regards,
Greg
Back to top Go down
getagrip

getagrip

PostSubject: Re: A free and easy way to find dead center.   A free and easy way to find dead center. EmptyTue Apr 24, 2012 4:08 am

ochejockey wrote:
getagrip wrote:

It's only meant to put your eyeline in square with the bull. Don't change your stance. Using it for a period of time, it's suppose to condition you to stand in the same place on the oche every time, making you more consistent. It's also suppose to make you more consistent by putting you equidistant from opposite points in the same hemisphere on the dartboard. Your throw at triple 16 should be the same as your throw at triple 15. Throwing double 12 out should feel the same as throwing double 18 out. While this is a more accurate statement when compared with the same throws for someone who stands significantly to the left or right, it isn't technically true unless you throw your dart from in front of your dominant eye. I believe you and I are both RH and LED, but we throw off our right eye, so our throws to the left side of the board are still a bit longer than our throws to the right side. I've gone back and forth about doing this or not. I try to line up looking at the bull, and I believe I'm centered. I don't know if I want to find out I am wrong. It could be one more insecurity in my head. What if I use it before a match, pick out a spot on the floor that's in line, then later I look down and can't find that spot? Am I worried at that instead of the target on the board?

I think if you have already got used to a way of doing it then I would not try and mess it up, unless you are sure it would have a positive affect on your performance, but I guess that is a bit of a gamble that all players must take at some point, do they risk changing something in the hope it makes them better?
Back to top Go down
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dazdart
ochejockey

PostSubject: Re: A free and easy way to find dead center.   A free and easy way to find dead center. EmptyTue Apr 24, 2012 6:29 am

Rebel wrote:
Great points and well explained.

I accept it isn't for everyone but for those who want to give it a go and see if it works for them it will take less than a minute of your time to make and costs nothing.

It works for me which is why I shared, maybe it will work for others, maybe not but there it is anyway.

Regards,
Greg

[quote="getagrip"]
ochejockey wrote:
getagrip wrote:

I think if you have already got used to a way of doing it then I would not try and mess it up, unless you are sure it would have a positive affect on your performance, but I guess that is a bit of a gamble that all players must take at some point, do they risk changing something in the hope it makes them better?

Absolutely guys. I was in no way trying to diminish your efforts or dissuade someone else from trying it. As I said, I've struggled with whether or not to try it. I was only sharing my reservations about it. I have/would always recommend to someone new to the game or looking to be more consistent that they lineup their eyeline with the center of the board when they first step to the oche. If you have a significant difference between your left and right eye vision as I do, using a sightright tool could be "an eye opening" experience. Shocked
Back to top Go down
Rebel

Rebel

PostSubject: Re: A free and easy way to find dead center.   A free and easy way to find dead center. EmptyTue Apr 24, 2012 6:50 am

Laughing

I didn't take your comments in a negative way Jockey, sorry if my reply came across that way, that was not my intentions.
I completely agree, for some people this will be absolutely useless, for other it may be the eye opening experience you describe happy dude

Cheers,
Greg
Back to top Go down
Lefty544

Lefty544

PostSubject: Re: A free and easy way to find dead center.   A free and easy way to find dead center. EmptyTue Apr 24, 2012 7:05 am

Cheers on the tip Rebel. I'll definitely give this a go. If nothing else just to see how far I am "off" and whether or not moving myself on the oche will help my game out.
Back to top Go down
Rebel

Rebel

PostSubject: Re: A free and easy way to find dead center.   A free and easy way to find dead center. EmptyTue Apr 24, 2012 7:56 am

That's exactly what its designed for Lefty mate rebel smilie
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A free and easy way to find dead center.   A free and easy way to find dead center. Empty

Back to top Go down

A free and easy way to find dead center.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1