We have moved to www.dartsnutz.net
Darts Nutz forum has now moved to www.dartsnutz.net please register on that site instead.

Thanks!

Darts Nutz forum has now moved to www.dartsnutz.net please register on that site instead.

Thanks!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Re-register a new account there please

HomeLatest imagesDarts Re Pointing by dannyd180 LPRegisterLog in

Photobucket

map1
Display Pagerank

Darts Re Pointing by dannyd180

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
dannyd180

dannyd180

Darts Re Pointing by dannyd180 Empty
PostSubject: Darts Re Pointing by dannyd180   Darts Re Pointing by dannyd180 EmptySat Feb 25, 2012 9:09 pm

I recently bought some Phase 6 darts which I absolutely love, the only thing that I was unhappy with was the 'lip' where the point meets the barrel. I seemed to be getting a lot of deflections and felt that it was causing damage to my flights. I decided that I wanted them re-pointed with Target Storm points, but my dilemma was that I don't have a re-pointing machine, and I am too impatient to send my darts off and wait for them to be returned. I do however own a rivet gun and had read on here that it was possible, so I thought, why not.....

I ordered some storm points yesterday, they cam this morning and I set about it. I practiced removing the points from an older cheaper dart first to make sure that it worked

This is the dart that I wanted to re-point:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Here is the tools that I used, the back of my old dartboard was my work surface (ignore the junior hacksaw):

The first thing I did was select the correct collet size for my rivet gun, opened the handles and then inserted the dart, point first - as far as it would go:

The I held the barrel of the dart in one hand, and squeezed the handles of the rivet gun together, and this pulled the point from the dart as easy as can be:

When I read about this method previously, somebody said that it damages the points of the darts. I found with my rivet gun (Stanley) that is leaves a series of grooves towards the end of the point that almost resemble board grippers and I think they would work quite nicely:

Then I had to get the new points in the barrels. this was the tricky part. I said ignore the junior hacksaw, but what I had used that for was to cut down an old plastic stem, which I inserted into the barrel, so that I could hit it with my hammer to drive the point into the barrel, using the reverse side of my old dartbaord as my surface. However, although this worked when practicing putting original points back into older darts, the storm points are too tight of a fit in my unicorn darts and caused the stem to shear, leaving the thread in the barrel. Not difficult to remove, but I would not advise this method. Obviously the plastic is weaker than tungsten and this was always going to happen, but it was early in the morning, so you have to give me that one:

As I said, the fit of the storm point with this barrel is very very tight, so I ended up using some silicone lubricant and a smaller collet than that which I used to remove to points, put the point through the back of it and then used the flat face on the other side to hit with my hammer whilst resting the rear of the barrel on my work surface:

After a few firm blows, the point was 'driven home', and the beauty of the storm points is that the 'collar' allows you to guide the point in true. Here is the finished article:

I'm very happy with the result and I haven't noticed any real different in the balance of the dart, and from a small practice session they do seem to be an improvement.
Back to top Go down
McInnis180

McInnis180

PostSubject: Re: Darts Re Pointing by dannyd180   Darts Re Pointing by dannyd180 EmptySat Mar 03, 2012 1:08 pm

Great How to Danny!!!!!! Smile
Back to top Go down
dartbord

dartbord

PostSubject: Re: Darts Re Pointing by dannyd180   Darts Re Pointing by dannyd180 EmptySat Mar 03, 2012 1:19 pm

Well done. You are set to go into business.
Back to top Go down
getagrip

getagrip

PostSubject: Re: Darts Re Pointing by dannyd180   Darts Re Pointing by dannyd180 EmptySat Mar 03, 2012 7:42 pm

Yeah very good tutorial Danny!
Back to top Go down
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dazdart
Hazza

Hazza

PostSubject: Re: Darts Re Pointing by dannyd180   Darts Re Pointing by dannyd180 EmptyMon Mar 05, 2012 12:27 am

Nice one Danny, they look great too
Back to top Go down
the_cutter

the_cutter

PostSubject: Re: Darts Re Pointing by dannyd180   Darts Re Pointing by dannyd180 EmptyThu Apr 05, 2012 8:09 pm

thanks for sharing!

nice darts!
Back to top Go down
Saber

Saber

PostSubject: Re: Darts Re Pointing by dannyd180   Darts Re Pointing by dannyd180 EmptyThu Apr 05, 2012 10:09 pm

nice one Danny! How long it take btw.
Back to top Go down
Saber

Saber

PostSubject: Re: Darts Re Pointing by dannyd180   Darts Re Pointing by dannyd180 EmptySun Sep 23, 2012 3:15 am

bump for new members
Back to top Go down
Del

PostSubject: Re: Darts Re Pointing by dannyd180   Darts Re Pointing by dannyd180 EmptySun Sep 23, 2012 5:58 am

Well done mate great wee how to there
Back to top Go down
Lefty544

Lefty544

PostSubject: Re: Darts Re Pointing by dannyd180   Darts Re Pointing by dannyd180 EmptyFri Oct 12, 2012 2:04 am

bump for new members
Back to top Go down
Big Gun

Big Gun

PostSubject: Re: Darts Re Pointing by dannyd180   Darts Re Pointing by dannyd180 EmptyFri Oct 12, 2012 4:51 am

Good job mate but I invested in a £40-00 machine and it was worth every penny as I can change a set of point on under 5 mins and I can do it as often as I want to. You will find now though that after having the Storm points in that normal point are sometimes loser when you change them back as they are very slightly wider, but a drop of lock-tight glue in the hole and the point stays put but just a word of warning for future reference. I love the Storm point though and never use anything else just cant make my mind up between smooth or grooved lol
Back to top Go down
getagrip

getagrip

PostSubject: Re: Darts Re Pointing by dannyd180   Darts Re Pointing by dannyd180 EmptyWed Apr 03, 2013 1:40 am

moved to new forum: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dazdart
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Darts Re Pointing by dannyd180   Darts Re Pointing by dannyd180 Empty

Back to top Go down

Darts Re Pointing by dannyd180

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1