We have moved to www.dartsnutz.net
Darts Nutz forum has now moved to www.dartsnutz.net please register on that site instead.

Thanks!

Darts Nutz forum has now moved to www.dartsnutz.net please register on that site instead.

Thanks!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Re-register a new account there please

HomeLatest imagesdolphin tailing LPRegisterLog in

Photobucket

map1
Display Pagerank

dolphin tailing

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
basketcasE

dolphin tailing Empty
PostSubject: dolphin tailing   dolphin tailing EmptyMon Feb 11, 2013 12:49 am

so sometimes my darts will dolphin tail (fishtail on the vertical axis). it's more pronounced when i throw w/ a flatter arc with med velocity which i use sometimes to hit the upper parts of the board by raising my arm a bit (as opposed to compensating w/ more force).

after a bit of thought i've arrived at the theory it's the barrel vs flight in a balancing act. w/ the flight overcompensating everytime.

anyone else observe this problem? did you just adapt? change the barrel (lighter) or flight? (less surface area)......

Back to top Go down
getagrip

getagrip

dolphin tailing Empty
PostSubject: Re: dolphin tailing   dolphin tailing EmptyMon Feb 11, 2013 1:01 am

for me its a strange point as to what causes it sometimes, I think the length of the dart and length of stems if too long makes me fishtail them, but also depends on how I position the dart through my throw and how I release it.

I have had darts fish tail at first then a few throws later got used to it and stopped it. But I would say most of the time for me its the set up of the dart that needs altering.
Back to top Go down
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dazdart
habanerojooz

dolphin tailing Empty
PostSubject: Re: dolphin tailing   dolphin tailing EmptyTue Feb 12, 2013 3:19 pm

There are several contributing factors that cause fishtailing. Mainly, fishtailing is caused by alignment of the dart at the time of release vs the forward path of the dart vs the trajectory of the dart. When these three factors are not well coordinated, the dart will wobble and fly poorly.

Learning better mechanics and form addresses the problem. Changing your equipment addresses the symptoms.

It is usually better to address the problems, not the symptoms.

Back to top Go down
the_cutter

the_cutter

dolphin tailing Empty
PostSubject: Re: dolphin tailing   dolphin tailing EmptyTue Feb 12, 2013 3:32 pm

most fishtails i got was when i was using phase 5's or silica apollos with phase 5 stems and dmx flights. the fishtails reduced in occurrence when i used short/intermediate nylon stems and slims on the bomber-type darts.

when i shifted to straight darts with short stems and standards, the less fishtail i got.

i guess the setup should suit your throw. the setup is easier to change, at least, for me.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

dolphin tailing Empty
PostSubject: Re: dolphin tailing   dolphin tailing Empty

Back to top Go down

dolphin tailing

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
We have moved to www.dartsnutz.net :: General Darts Chat :: Equipment Chat-