We have moved to www.dartsnutz.net
Darts Nutz forum has now moved to www.dartsnutz.net please register on that site instead.

Thanks!

Darts Nutz forum has now moved to www.dartsnutz.net please register on that site instead.

Thanks!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Re-register a new account there please

HomeLatest imageszoning out LPRegisterLog in

Photobucket

map1
Display Pagerank

zoning out

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Nucky

Nucky

zoning out Empty
PostSubject: zoning out   zoning out EmptyTue Feb 05, 2013 1:22 pm

Playing in my regular Sunday night mixed league, I had an average night- nothing special (3rd dart bounced out of a 171- high point), but overall not a horrible one. I think I started 6 or 7 games and finished a few, which wasn't too bad.

I thought about it today and realized that the one thing I have a problem doing is zoning out all the noise and confusion around me. Yes I was having my usual couple of three beers as I was playing but it occurred to me that my concentration could use a little help. There were times when I was shooting for a double and thinking back, I know my mind could have been more into it.

Anyone have some tips on focusing on the job at hand and not being distracted while shooting? How do you block everything out (music blaring, people shouting across a noisy hall, etc, etc)?

Hmmmmmm, maybe my mind was on not being at a Superbowl party that I wanted to be at instead (no tv's where we shoot)...................

Any thoughts?
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/search/results.php?q=Robert+Drinovz&
Jimbo21

Jimbo21

zoning out Empty
PostSubject: Re: zoning out   zoning out EmptyTue Feb 05, 2013 2:29 pm

I practise with music blaring and sometimes kids around in the shed, I find this helps me.

I also use deep breathing to try and block stuff out. I dont watch my opponent throw so I dont get distracted by a big score.
Back to top Go down
Saber

Saber

zoning out Empty
PostSubject: Re: zoning out   zoning out EmptyTue Feb 05, 2013 2:35 pm

Good advice Jimbo
Back to top Go down
Nucky

Nucky

zoning out Empty
PostSubject: Re: zoning out   zoning out EmptyTue Feb 05, 2013 2:38 pm

I agree.....might try putting the tunes on next time I practise.
Back to top Go down
Big Gun

Big Gun

zoning out Empty
PostSubject: Re: zoning out   zoning out EmptyWed Feb 06, 2013 2:23 am

Whilst you were busy thinking about the SuperBowl all around you were getting the job done, this is fatal for darts as you have to have a clear mind or a focused mind but on darts as everything changes every throw you take so it's not like you have 20 mins and then can change something, you might only throw 39 odd darts and it's all over for another week.
The problem you have with noisy pubs clubs etc is the more you listen to it the louder it gets. I play at home with music on either the stereo or sometimes with earphones in. I also bought some relaxation CD's many years ago and learned the art to Meditation and I think this helps but be warned can have a detrimental affect too as my adrenaline flow is now under total control and the natural buzz for me is hard to get as i'm so relaxed and I think you need that buzz to fire you up. I have taken relaxed to a new level and that's not good either.
Another thing to think about here is clothing or darts wear. I have a routine for getting ready for darts that is different to going to the cinema. I have my Red darts shoes for instance which are not only my thing that sets me apart from others but it is my mental cue to get my mind in gear for my darts match. This is why school uniform is so important in this country as it prepares young people for their day ahead sorry I digressed. I also have specific coloured shirts etc all these thing prepare me mentally, so this might be something you could do too if you don't already of course.
Back to top Go down
Nucky

Nucky

zoning out Empty
PostSubject: Re: zoning out   zoning out EmptyWed Feb 06, 2013 4:58 am

I think I understand what you mean Big Gun - from now on, when I am putting on my Harley Davidson t-shirt, it will be a mental cue for me to turn the switch in my brain to channel my inner Buddha.
Back to top Go down
Big Gun

Big Gun

zoning out Empty
PostSubject: Re: zoning out   zoning out EmptyWed Feb 06, 2013 6:47 am

Thats it buddy it is a mental preparation that begins hours before the game itself. When you get to the venue have a 5 throw routine too, like 1st 3 at the T20 2nd 3 at the Bull 3rd 3 at D20 and last 4th 3 at T19 and last 3 back at T20 do that before every game home or away as this will focus you too. Let me know how you get on in your next game. You make up your own little routing but it must help you judge the throw length and height as not all boards are set up the same and the lighting can make a throw seem longer or shorter depending on how well lit it is.
Back to top Go down
McInnis180

McInnis180

zoning out Empty
PostSubject: Re: zoning out   zoning out EmptyWed Feb 06, 2013 6:50 am

I find music helps a lot....I also think that I'm home shooting in the room!!! Seems to help as well!!!! Smile
Back to top Go down
Nucky

Nucky

zoning out Empty
PostSubject: Re: zoning out   zoning out EmptyWed Feb 06, 2013 7:21 pm

Funny you should say that Trev - last year, I was hitting 140's, tons, no problem before I went to my match.
As soon as I started playing, it was like I never threw a dart in my life. I used to tell a guy on my team about it (hit a 171 one night, same situation), he would holler at me "your home in the basement Robert".

lol!

He would say it almost every time I shot.
Back to top Go down
shafted

zoning out Empty
PostSubject: Re: zoning out   zoning out EmptyWed Feb 06, 2013 8:03 pm

Iv'e not played for a few years due to a serious accident, I used to find a lot of background noise ok, I could kind of not really be aware of it, but one singular noise, ie the sound of the fruit machine or even a one singular voice as opposed to a group of people chatting, could be really off putting and pierce into my focus.
Back to top Go down
Nucky

Nucky

zoning out Empty
PostSubject: Re: zoning out   zoning out EmptyThu Feb 07, 2013 8:25 am

Like one hand clapping???

lol on floor lol on floor lol on floor

Sorry, couldn't help myself Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Veni

Veni

zoning out Empty
PostSubject: Re: zoning out   zoning out EmptyThu Feb 07, 2013 6:48 pm

I have trained myself with those things, I have practiced with music on, other peoples kids at the club and so.

But what have helped me the most are a couple of mental training books and cd's, where you practice your inner motivation, your ability to focus, your ability to clear your mind.

Also you can try some meditation, ( you dont have to go down Buddha-style, you can do it sitting down or standing up and just clear your mind).

I know many of my tips are just mental things, but I have my background in the Martial Arts and I have seen it help me a lot of thinking the same thing in darts as I did in the Martial Arts Smile

Clear your mind, focus on your goal and achieve it Smile

Cheers!

//

Glen Rosberg
Sweden
Back to top Go down
Robbie the Robot

Robbie the Robot

zoning out Empty
PostSubject: Re: zoning out   zoning out EmptyFri Feb 08, 2013 11:46 am

Like others have said, consistant background noise is usually beneficial. When I practice at home I turn music on, but not to prepare fore the bar scene. It's because I have more trouble focusing when it's silent. I can hear myslef think...which is usually good except when I'm throwing darts. Laughing
The thing that throws me is that you realized this after darts.
For most people, frustration from distractions is directly correlated with how you're playing. If you're struggling, it doesn't take much to distract and frustrate you.

One thing that I do sometimes when I need to put a lot into a shot, is to get mad at the target. You see John Part do the same thing at times when he's on a double. The focus really increases and it can even force out some nerves.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

zoning out Empty
PostSubject: Re: zoning out   zoning out Empty

Back to top Go down

zoning out

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
We have moved to www.dartsnutz.net :: Ask The Players, Darts Nutz Advice Team-