We have moved to www.dartsnutz.net
Darts Nutz forum has now moved to www.dartsnutz.net please register on that site instead.

Thanks!

Darts Nutz forum has now moved to www.dartsnutz.net please register on that site instead.

Thanks!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Re-register a new account there please

HomeLatest imagesDouble 16 LPRegisterLog in

Photobucket

map1
Display Pagerank

Double 16

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Jimbo21

Jimbo21

Double 16 Empty
PostSubject: Double 16   Double 16 EmptyTue Feb 05, 2013 11:07 am

Hey guys, need a little guidance here.

I am having major problems hitting double 16. It is the only double on the board that is giving me dramas.

I am losing games because of it.
I refuse to avoid going for it because that would be admitting defeat and I dont do that.

So any tips would greatly be appreciated.

Thank you.
Back to top Go down
Vallyr

Vallyr

Double 16 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Double 16   Double 16 EmptyTue Feb 05, 2013 11:14 am

Practice makes perfect?

I spend more time on that double than any others. I have two routines I use on it.

D16->D8/D12(in case of slip to s8 which is where I split the most)->D4/D6

Then my other practice is D16 combos which I starting with 41=9/d16,42=10/d16 and so on...

James Wade once said in an interview that he doesn't practice high check outs because he -SHOULDN'T- need them if his scoring is in line so low level combos are great---although wades preference would be for tops
Back to top Go down
Saber

Saber

Double 16 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Double 16   Double 16 EmptyTue Feb 05, 2013 2:32 pm

Jimbo see doubles routine vid mate.
Am sure Big Gun and company have some good stuff too.
Back to top Go down
Jimbo21

Jimbo21

Double 16 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Double 16   Double 16 EmptyTue Feb 05, 2013 4:14 pm

I found your thread for me Saber, will have a look at it later on.

Thank you.
Back to top Go down

Double 16 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Double 16   Double 16 EmptyTue Feb 05, 2013 4:48 pm

I'd throw at that thing for like 15 minutes straight until I'm sick of it. Do something like 100 darts @ the double 16.

But in league situation maybe try going the tops route? In singles I rarely leave myself 32 but that's just me.
Back to top Go down
Skyblueadam

Skyblueadam

Double 16 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Double 16   Double 16 EmptyTue Feb 05, 2013 5:31 pm

I used to be like that for d2. It's just a phase
Back to top Go down
Eslotes

Eslotes

Double 16 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Double 16   Double 16 EmptyTue Feb 05, 2013 7:05 pm

Jimbo why u dont go for the double 20 if you like it ,for example if you got 79 T13 + D20 or 19 + 20 + D20,its not always D16, i have this problem also sometimes but then in the match if it happens make it even to have TOPS but i think i mis 1/3 darts on the d16 much confidence on the d16 so yes... Train on the double which you like and make even for it to hit more easier...

Really dont know how to explain in english i hope you understund me

Greetings Eslotes
Back to top Go down
getagrip

getagrip

Double 16 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Double 16   Double 16 EmptyTue Feb 05, 2013 8:05 pm

I have the same trouble but with double 10, played round the board on doubles yesterday, was doing well until I got to double 10, was stuck on it for ages.

In the end I moved along the right of the oche and got it within 2 throws.

Not sure if thats the answer though, so interested to hear what others suggest.
Back to top Go down
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dazdart
davidsproull

davidsproull

Double 16 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Double 16   Double 16 EmptyTue Feb 05, 2013 9:26 pm

Jimbo21 wrote:
Hey guys, need a little guidance here.

I am having major problems hitting double 16. It is the only double on the board that is giving me dramas.

I am losing games because of it.
I refuse to avoid going for it because that would be admitting defeat and I dont do that.

So any tips would greatly be appreciated.

Thank you.

The trick is not to think of getting stuck on it as being a problem. Being stuck is where the learning happens. I also tell myself
'darts isnt easy but it is simple' and for me it tends to help...
Back to top Go down
http://www.tblacblog.com/
loopdogg

loopdogg

Double 16 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Double 16   Double 16 EmptyTue Feb 05, 2013 11:10 pm

get yourself a comfortable seat, and look in the mirror, and repeat...
[img][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][/img]

and please don't forget the three C's...
[img][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][/img]
Back to top Go down
Big Gun

Big Gun

Double 16 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Double 16   Double 16 EmptyWed Feb 06, 2013 1:47 am

Hi Jimbo I have had a similar experience as of late so understand your frustration as I too am feeling mad about it as there is no reason for it at all.
So we have a couple of things here to think about.
Firstly: Will this pass? and you know the answer to that is YES so you should practice it as normal in your routines but possibly look to switch some finishes for the time being. It will knock your confidence if you keep leaving it in matches and keep missing it so swap a few around if you can. The more you worry about it the more your body will have a natural tendency to tighten up when you are coming down to a finish and this will also affect your set up of the shot, you will then be thinking a complete loss of form has happened.
Secondly try to vary the position you stand on the oche when on the shot for the double as this will alter the flight of your dart and may be the adjustment you need in this interim period. I always do this when throwing for D6 or D11. I normally stand dead centre of the board when throwing for every other shot and never move when going for my doubles but if I am left any of those 2 doubles I always centre myself to the D6 or D11 and it works for me. You might find an inch to the right or left is enough adjustment to counter the tightening of the back and arms to get it to go where you wanted in the first place, then the confidence will return and you will be more relaxed so no tightening and you can return to your original and more natural throwing position.
My Weekly challenge will also help you with this problem as its combination shooting so give that a try. Let me know how you get on
Back to top Go down
Saber

Saber

Double 16 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Double 16   Double 16 EmptyWed Feb 06, 2013 2:10 am

Thanks Kev,
thats good advice and will tuck that away for use Double 16 1290864234
Back to top Go down
Veni

Veni

Double 16 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Double 16   Double 16 EmptyThu Feb 07, 2013 6:40 pm

The only thing I can say about it is to practice on it, and NEVER be in doubt that you can hit it.

Always think " I can do it, I can hit it", or if you are in the game " I like green doubles" and so on. Only positive thinking.

I had the problem with d2 before, but then I decided to be positive and practice on it. The last couple of months my behind have been saved by that double a couple of times Smile

When you are at the board, NO negative thinking Smile

Hope this helps, I have helped me Smile

Cheers!

//

Glen Rosberg
Sweden
Back to top Go down
Jimbo21

Jimbo21

Double 16 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Double 16   Double 16 EmptyThu Feb 07, 2013 7:16 pm

Some great advice there as always guys, thank you all for your thoughts.

I have adjusted my throw a liitle last week and I am getting a lot closer to it and also nailing it.

I wont have a chance to practice for the next 2 weeks at home as my step daughter has moved all her furniture into our shed and I cant even get in the door.

I am getting a little work in on it before league so not all is lost.

Will start working on it once she moves out in 2 weeks time.

I have been trying to avoid d16 a little bit, but as Murphy is involved, I usually end up having to shoot at it. lol
Back to top Go down
Robbie the Robot

Robbie the Robot

Double 16 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Double 16   Double 16 EmptyFri Feb 08, 2013 6:37 am

A little break can help too.
Kev is definitely on the right track. Veni is right too. Negativity will beat you before your opponent gets the chance.

When someone comes to me with a problem, the first thing I do is find the root cause. In this situation, it can be a few things. For me, I've discovered that it's actually physical. When I twist my body to the left and down just a bit, my darts trail down and left, (I'm right handed.) So sliding to the left on the oche a bit helps. I have the same problem with the 7 and 8, which is how I diagnosed it. Sometimes it's just a number that people get in their head and is mental. That can be tricky. One thing you can try if you're choking on target is to pick your favorite target. Say it's trip 20. Throw a nice smooth, confident dart at that, then your trouble number, and then back at the 20. Your body wants to find a nice rhythm and can work out any hitches on a certain target.
Back to top Go down
Jimbo21

Jimbo21

Double 16 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Double 16   Double 16 EmptyFri Feb 08, 2013 9:20 am

Cheers Robbie.

I have adjusted my stance a fraction and last night it worked well.

I found the same thing as you said, the twisting left and down was making me sit outside the double wire. So hopefully over the next few weeks I can restore my confidence on it.
Back to top Go down
eplea

eplea

Double 16 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Double 16   Double 16 EmptyMon Mar 04, 2013 8:39 am

Channel your inner grown up little engine.....get past the "I think I can's" to the "I Know I can's".
For me it was mental. I've got some kind of record in local league I reckon.....ALWAYS seem to have darts stray on my 1 or 2 dart finishes to leave me D1. It all started one night I had 60 left. 20-D20.....easy. Nope. First dart strayed to the 1....ok.....19-D20.....easy fix. Nope. Second dart makes a crack as it hits a wire, I ask for my score...damned thing JUST into the T19. Ok, 58 scored. I know my double, NFL (No F'ing Lower). Step back, take a breath, focus, back to the line, tell myself to relax, draw back, release, follow through.....ref calls it.... GAME, 3rd dart. Since then, I don't have troubles with any doubles really. Got into the mindset they are all the same. Just step back for that breath and to relax before the throw. It really helps. Especially as when you step back to the line you subconciously line yourself up for the shot you need to take. ;)

Back to top Go down
Jimbo21

Jimbo21

Double 16 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Double 16   Double 16 EmptyMon Mar 04, 2013 9:44 am

All is well once again. The little tweak to my stance has worked wonders.

Getting good results now in practise and it is following me out to league as well.

I have my state try outs in a few weeks time, so this couldnt of come at a better time.

Thanks for all the advice guys.
Back to top Go down
Aussie Kev

Aussie Kev

Double 16 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Double 16   Double 16 EmptyMon Mar 04, 2013 5:55 pm

Hi Jimbo, how do state try outs work?
Back to top Go down
Robbie the Robot

Robbie the Robot

Double 16 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Double 16   Double 16 EmptyTue Mar 05, 2013 9:44 am

Glad to hear it Jimbo! Other people's success inspires me!
Back to top Go down
jamie373

jamie373

Double 16 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Double 16   Double 16 EmptyTue Mar 05, 2013 9:49 am

good luck in your try outs jimbo
Back to top Go down
Saber

Saber

Double 16 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Double 16   Double 16 EmptyTue Mar 05, 2013 12:41 pm

Big Gun wrote:
Hi Jimbo I have had a similar experience as of late so understand your frustration as I too am feeling mad about it as there is no reason for it at all.
So we have a couple of things here to think about.
Firstly: Will this pass? and you know the answer to that is YES so you should practice it as normal in your routines but possibly look to switch some finishes for the time being. It will knock your confidence if you keep leaving it in matches and keep missing it so swap a few around if you can. The more you worry about it the more your body will have a natural tendency to tighten up when you are coming down to a finish and this will also affect your set up of the shot, you will then be thinking a complete loss of form has happened.
Secondly try to vary the position you stand on the oche when on the shot for the double as this will alter the flight of your dart and may be the adjustment you need in this interim period. I always do this when throwing for D6 or D11. I normally stand dead centre of the board when throwing for every other shot and never move when going for my doubles but if I am left any of those 2 doubles I always centre myself to the D6 or D11 and it works for me. You might find an inch to the right or left is enough adjustment to counter the tightening of the back and arms to get it to go where you wanted in the first place, then the confidence will return and you will be more relaxed so no tightening and you can return to your original and more natural throwing position.
My Weekly challenge will also help you with this problem as its combination shooting so give that a try. Let me know how you get on

Aww Big Gun Double 16 1290864234 I moved for the double 16 and the double 10 and whamo was hitting the hell out of them mate. I lined center to these. Actually it opens up the double for me - I think you lose a little area because of angle if your say centered on the Bull. head spin
Back to top Go down
Big Gun

Big Gun

Double 16 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Double 16   Double 16 EmptyTue Mar 05, 2013 4:59 pm

Nice job Saber I am glad it worked for you. Sometimes it's the smallest things that can make the biggest difference.

And well done Jimbo too, it sounds like your confidence is back big time and playing well good luck with your state try out's enjoy the occasion and it will be kind to you I'm sure.
Back to top Go down
Jimbo21

Jimbo21

Double 16 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Double 16   Double 16 EmptyTue Mar 05, 2013 5:24 pm

Aussie Kev wrote:
Hi Jimbo, how do state try outs work?

We start off with a round robin best of 5 501 on the first weekend. After that, they take through the top 16 players I think.
Then there will be another weekend of those 16 doing round robin. I think a 3rd round happens after they cut the list to 12.

After that, the top 8 are announced.

The Australian titles consist of the Peter Mac cup which is 4 man teams, then they have the teams title which is the one each state wants to win. That is a 6 man comp.

Then they do singles, doubles and mixed doubles.
Back to top Go down
Saber

Saber

Double 16 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Double 16   Double 16 EmptyWed Mar 06, 2013 1:44 am

I just had to give Big Gun (Kev) a plus 1 for this one- thanks again Big.
Back to top Go down
Big Gun

Big Gun

Double 16 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Double 16   Double 16 EmptyWed Mar 06, 2013 3:40 am

Cheers for that glad to be back posting again as I needed some time to think about a few bits. So happy days and see you on the next post. Did you read my latest review of the Elite Darts and if so what did you think?
Back to top Go down
Saber

Saber

Double 16 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Double 16   Double 16 EmptyWed Mar 06, 2013 6:12 am

Super duper review mate! yep gave ya another thumbs up lol
Back to top Go down
Wazza

Wazza

Double 16 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Double 16   Double 16 EmptyThu Mar 07, 2013 9:51 pm

I wont say its in the brain because it could be a heap of things that happen.

I usually practice that in warmup at league.. throw for d16, then d8 and then d4.

Maybe look & throw instead of aiming? I do that, seems to work for me (then again thats me not you).
Having said that I wouldnt change from that double.. it has the most breakdown of any double.

Some great posts above.. so I say with all thats been posted, have a go & let us know how you go Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.wazzasworldofdarts.com
Sponsored content

Double 16 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Double 16   Double 16 Empty

Back to top Go down

Double 16

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1