We have moved to www.dartsnutz.net
Darts Nutz forum has now moved to www.dartsnutz.net please register on that site instead.

Thanks!

Darts Nutz forum has now moved to www.dartsnutz.net please register on that site instead.

Thanks!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Re-register a new account there please

HomeLatest imagesAsking... how did it all begin? Darts that is. LPRegisterLog in

Photobucket

map1
Display Pagerank

Asking... how did it all begin? Darts that is.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Myla

Myla

Asking... how did it all begin? Darts that is. Empty
PostSubject: Asking... how did it all begin? Darts that is.   Asking... how did it all begin? Darts that is. EmptyWed Jan 30, 2013 2:56 am

Every sport has a history.

For example Yo-Yo: You might think a yo-yo is just a fun toy. But it started out as a weapon in the Philippine Islands in the 16th century. It weighed four pounds and had a 20 foot cord. It was introduced to the United States as a toy in 1929.

I read this and all I could really relate top is in bold
The game of darts can be traced back many hundreds of years and stories take its history back even further. What credence can be given to tales that ancient Greek warriors used to throw short spears at the upturned ends of wine barrels during the intervals between battles is not certain . It is a fact however that during the middle ages the sport of darts gained some recognition and popularity with men from all walks of life taking an interest, playing the game in the drinking houses that sprang up. In 1530 it has been recorded that Anne Boleyn gave King Henry The Eighth a set of richly ornamented darts.

The early darts were much longer than those of today being some 25 cm long. Slices off tree trunks were commonly used as targets as they provided natural sections to aim at with their rings and as they dried out, radial cracks, that developed.

It is well documented that the game was popular with sailors who would use a section off an old mast as a target.

What is Darts' history (real or your version)
Educate me rolling eyes Ready set go....
Back to top Go down
http://www.i2icustom.com/
getagrip

getagrip

PostSubject: Re: Asking... how did it all begin? Darts that is.   Asking... how did it all begin? Darts that is. EmptyWed Jan 30, 2013 4:44 am

I dont think its possible to say when darts became the darts as we know it.

I am sure little darts were used as weapons long before they were made into the game we know.

But darts as we know it came from a kids toy "Puff and dart" where a blowpipe was used to blow little darts at a circular target and from the wooden French darts that were used a lot at travelling fairs.

Eventually someone must have had the idea of making it into a simple game, just throwing the wood darts at a small target then it developed from there.

The King Henry 8th story is often mentioned but it was not really the darts we would call darts today.
Back to top Go down
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dazdart
Myla

Myla

PostSubject: Re: Asking... how did it all begin? Darts that is.   Asking... how did it all begin? Darts that is. EmptyWed Jan 30, 2013 4:47 am

getagrip wrote:
....darts were used as weapons .....

I still use it as a weapon for S*& giggles Embarassed is that wrong? Laughing
Back to top Go down
getagrip

getagrip

PostSubject: Re: Asking... how did it all begin? Darts that is.   Asking... how did it all begin? Darts that is. EmptyWed Jan 30, 2013 4:52 am

No thats fine, I would too but I would only miss rolling eyes
Back to top Go down
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dazdart
Myla

Myla

PostSubject: Re: Asking... how did it all begin? Darts that is.   Asking... how did it all begin? Darts that is. EmptyWed Jan 30, 2013 5:00 am

getagrip wrote:
No thats fine, I would too but I would only miss rolling eyes

THANKS!! The rule of thumb is if it's on the internet it must be true.
Back to top Go down
Nucky

Nucky

PostSubject: Re: Asking... how did it all begin? Darts that is.   Asking... how did it all begin? Darts that is. EmptyWed Jan 30, 2013 7:47 am

Myla gets a vote from me for her vast knowledge on the subject!!! Being in Canada helps too Very Happy

Drinking houses you say? Who knew lol on floor
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/search/results.php?q=Robert+Drinovz&
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Asking... how did it all begin? Darts that is.   Asking... how did it all begin? Darts that is. Empty

Back to top Go down

Asking... how did it all begin? Darts that is.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1