We have moved to www.dartsnutz.net
Darts Nutz forum has now moved to www.dartsnutz.net please register on that site instead.

Thanks!

Darts Nutz forum has now moved to www.dartsnutz.net please register on that site instead.

Thanks!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Re-register a new account there please

HomeLatest imagesThe Honeymoon Period LPRegisterLog in

Photobucket

map1
Display Pagerank

The Honeymoon Period

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Jimbob 2705

The Honeymoon Period Empty
PostSubject: The Honeymoon Period   The Honeymoon Period EmptyThu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 am

I'm sure most of us will have witnessed the 'Honeymoon Period' after buying a new set of darts. You have a fantastic few nights then suddenly it all seems to go downhill - and you can't seem to get the original standard back.

So why is it that Honeymoon Period happens?

I'm thinking that it might be due mental reasons. For example when you get a new dart you feel they you want/need to play well with it, after all that is the reason you bought it. But as you start using the dart for a few nights, this mental thought wears off.

Many Thanks,

James
Back to top Go down
Jimbo21

Jimbo21

PostSubject: Re: The Honeymoon Period   The Honeymoon Period EmptyThu Jan 24, 2013 10:20 am

What I find with myself, the harder I try, the worse I throw, so with me I think its just the fact that the new darts make me make fine adjustments to my grip or throw. Once I have used them for a while, I tend to drop off a little.

I generally try not to think about anything when I play, so I can keep my brain switched on for working out my out shots and set up shots.
Back to top Go down
Nucky

Nucky

PostSubject: Re: The Honeymoon Period   The Honeymoon Period EmptyThu Jan 24, 2013 10:49 am

Speaking as a dartnut who has owned my fair share of sets, yes it is true, the magic fades after a while but I think it all comes down to what type of barrel/weight/shaft/flight combination really suits the person. You may adjust your throw to meet the new set of darts but eventually, you will lapse into where your arm wants to release, where the wrist naturally wants to bend and how hard you want to throw it. So after a while, you will lose the feel for that new set. That is why I think a person is better to pick what works, then maybe tinker with it a bit. For instance if you prefer a shorter style barrel, if you are going to try something different, then maybe go for something with a better grip say, or a gripping point closer to where you want to hold the dart than what you have while keeping the length the same. That way, you can move closer to something what works. As I said, I've owned too many darts to remember them all but I like to think that I made a logical progression to the set I use now.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/search/results.php?q=Robert+Drinovz&
Bigshow

Bigshow

PostSubject: Re: The Honeymoon Period   The Honeymoon Period EmptyThu Jan 24, 2013 12:18 pm

I think it is mainly the desire to play with them. When you are really up for a game I find that you play better as supposed to just playing for the sake of it. That's why so much of the game is in the head. Once that initial excitement and desire fades you go back to slugging it out.
Back to top Go down
DIRTY G

DIRTY G

PostSubject: Re: The Honeymoon Period   The Honeymoon Period EmptyThu Jan 24, 2013 6:56 pm

I think its because your new toys make you get off your A$$ and throw alot more rather than spending mor time on a forum just talking about throwing darts. HEEE HEEE HEEE
Back to top Go down
getagrip

getagrip

PostSubject: Re: The Honeymoon Period   The Honeymoon Period EmptyThu Jan 24, 2013 9:21 pm

Its a good question, I would like to know the answer too. Must be some mental thing. Its weird though that if thats the reason why cant we do it all the time, whats stopping us?
Back to top Go down
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dazdart
Big Gun

Big Gun

PostSubject: Re: The Honeymoon Period   The Honeymoon Period EmptyThu Jan 24, 2013 9:42 pm

As pshychologists would say it's down to the expectation of the new darts. when you make a concious choice for anything in life really whether it be a new car or a new stroller for your baby or a new set of darts you are filled with all the expectation that this is the best set of darts in the world because that is what you have read, been told or even what you have seen in the local pub or on TV being used by a Pro. The problem arises when the realisation kicks in that although 10 people told you they were your perfect darts at the first sign that they dont behave in the way you expect you suddenly regret your choice and feel they were a bad buy and in the drawer they go with the other 5 sets that are your perfect darts.

Think of it this way if I gave everyone 1 set of darts each all the same with the same set up and would still keep the exact structure to all the darts comps around, would we still have the Phil Taylors and Adie Lewis's at the top of the tree or would you suddendly be as good as them as we have now leveled the playing feild? Unfortunately the answer is NO.

We all strive for the perfect set up and game but whilst you doubt your tools you will never find it, and this is why the darts companies make so much money and you spend so much because they know you crave it so they design it you buy it then they design a so called better one so you buy it and so the cycle never ends.

So in conclusion it's not really a Honeymoon period it's until your realisation kicks in or an alternative better choice comes along. Look at your first few sets if you really want to know what are your best darts as those were chosen by you, for you, when you were less influenced by so much choice, and they will be the ones you never sell or give away and wil always go back to in times of crisis., Until the next ones come along.

I hope this makes sense as I have just written it as it came out of my head.
Back to top Go down
getagrip

getagrip

PostSubject: Re: The Honeymoon Period   The Honeymoon Period EmptyThu Jan 24, 2013 9:50 pm

Makes perfect sense to me Kev! nice one! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
rabsmith2

rabsmith2

PostSubject: Re: The Honeymoon Period   The Honeymoon Period EmptyThu Jan 24, 2013 10:02 pm

Think it could be a majority of factors, new style of barrel, flight or stem. You change your style to adapt to your new dart at first. It then kicks in that your throw is not natural and needs to much work with the new darts. I think faith in a new dart also plays a major factor. In the past if I was breaking in a set of darts come the important game I would play with my old faithfuls.
Back to top Go down
Wazza

Wazza

PostSubject: Re: The Honeymoon Period   The Honeymoon Period EmptySat Feb 02, 2013 5:18 pm

Ive always found that the honeymoon period makes you seem invincible.. then when you start loosing the honeymoon is over.

With that usually end up going back to the darts you always use and find that they were ok all the time it was the person throwing the darts (This is my story but I would say it applies to many on here)

just sayin....
Back to top Go down
http://www.wazzasworldofdarts.com
Nucky

Nucky

PostSubject: Re: The Honeymoon Period   The Honeymoon Period EmptySat Feb 02, 2013 7:42 pm

I think the honeymoon phase is over with my Targets but I am not going to give in this time and switch to a different set. Two weeks ago, I had a fantastic night with them but lately, I've been struggling. That being said, they are the barrel I want to use so I am sticking with them. I have been experimenting with different shaft lengths but am going to go back with the ones that came with the darts, short. Tired of changing over and over.

rant on
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/search/results.php?q=Robert+Drinovz&
jamie373

jamie373

PostSubject: Re: The Honeymoon Period   The Honeymoon Period EmptyTue Feb 12, 2013 8:55 am

this is ridiculous why the hell does it happen. i was throwing the beatons so well go 2 sets , loads of short stems and oversized pears with plans of this is my dart and these are all i need and i'll just try a few other sets for fun and now they are all over the place ! maybe the thought that i have a set of phase 6's and barney triple b's on the way are playing on my mind . i don't know.
Back to top Go down
Wazza

Wazza

PostSubject: Re: The Honeymoon Period   The Honeymoon Period EmptyTue Feb 12, 2013 9:22 am

Guys if you have your old old darts still at home.. pick them up start throwing with them see how you go.

The darts are just Tungsten & nylon and dont live or breath.. that means its the person throwing the darts Smile
Sure if you want to stick with the new barrels but need to try a different setup, here is something you may not have thought of. Try a different set of points as they can make the difference also to balance/feel/weight.
Back to top Go down
Shinpad

Shinpad

PostSubject: Re: The Honeymoon Period   The Honeymoon Period EmptyTue Feb 12, 2013 9:29 am

It may have something to do with the reason you buy the new darts.

If you buy new darts out of boredom or just because you like the look of them then maybe the improvement will be short lived because you want them to work?
Back to top Go down
jamie373

jamie373

PostSubject: Re: The Honeymoon Period   The Honeymoon Period EmptyTue Feb 12, 2013 9:31 am

the grass is always greener my friend the grass is always greener
Back to top Go down
Robbie the Robot

Robbie the Robot

PostSubject: Re: The Honeymoon Period   The Honeymoon Period EmptyTue Feb 12, 2013 9:37 am

The "Honeymoon Period" applies when you change anything. You never change to something worse. You always change to improve. Sometimes the initial results are really good. Too good in fact and your mind has trouble handling such an improvement. I also think this can be worse with younger or inexperienced players. All of the young players that burst on the scene had a lull in performance.
When it comes to switching mechanics, think of it like braces. You get braces to fix your teeth. You take them off and hey, everything is great! You lose your retainer and everything starts going back to the way it was. You've got to stay at it, through the pain. Always believe.
The real killer is your mind. It remembers little things like, "I hit doubles better with my old darts." Something else to think about is just one more thing to distract you and make you lose focus.
Be strong.
My 2 cents.
Back to top Go down
Shinpad

Shinpad

PostSubject: Re: The Honeymoon Period   The Honeymoon Period EmptyTue Feb 12, 2013 9:41 am

But there's no guarantee you have changed to something better, surely that's the point? The new darts may not suit your throw?

Back to top Go down
jamie373

jamie373

PostSubject: Re: The Honeymoon Period   The Honeymoon Period EmptyTue Feb 12, 2013 9:52 am

i don't think many of us will truly ever be happy and deep down buying new shiny stuff is a big part of what we like about this sport
Back to top Go down
Wazza

Wazza

PostSubject: Re: The Honeymoon Period   The Honeymoon Period EmptyTue Feb 12, 2013 11:35 am

On a similar note but better

I had my honeymoon in 2002... Diana and I are still having our honeymoon 11 years later Smile
Back to top Go down
getagrip

getagrip

PostSubject: Re: The Honeymoon Period   The Honeymoon Period EmptyTue Feb 12, 2013 7:33 pm

Awwww, you big softie! Smile
Back to top Go down
loopdogg

loopdogg

PostSubject: Re: The Honeymoon Period   The Honeymoon Period EmptyTue Feb 12, 2013 11:17 pm

jamie373 wrote:
the grass is always greener my friend the grass is always greener
the grass is always greener where the dogs are sh**ting... cry laugh
Back to top Go down
basketcasE

PostSubject: Re: The Honeymoon Period   The Honeymoon Period EmptyWed Feb 13, 2013 12:05 pm

it's because you're consciously focusing on what you're throwing with as opposed to what you're throwing at.

once you become comfortable w/ the dart, your attention turns to what you're throwing at, along w/ everything else that can 'ruin' your throw/accuracy.

a good analogy is counterstrike which is a typical first person shooter video game. i noticed when i change the color and or size of my crosshair my aim becomes instantly better. once i get used to the new crosshair my brain ignores it. thus is tart focusing on "what i'm shooting at" instead of "what i'm shooting with". and alas, my aim/accuracy returns to what it was prior to the switch.

similar to how our brain tells us to ignore our nose since it's in our line of sight 24/7. imagine how irritating it'd be otherwise lol.
Back to top Go down
Taffy

Taffy

PostSubject: Re: The Honeymoon Period   The Honeymoon Period EmptyWed Feb 13, 2013 12:13 pm

basketcasE wrote:
it's because you're consciously focusing on what you're throwing with as opposed to what you're throwing at.

once you become comfortable w/ the dart, your attention turns to what you're throwing at, along w/ everything else that can 'ruin' your throw/accuracy.

a good analogy is counterstrike which is a typical first person shooter video game. i noticed when i change the color and or size of my crosshair my aim becomes instantly better. once i get used to the new crosshair my brain ignores it. thus is tart focusing on "what i'm shooting at" instead of "what i'm shooting with". and alas, my aim/accuracy returns to what it was prior to the switch.

similar to how our brain tells us to ignore our nose is in our line of sight 24/7. imagine how irritating it'd be otherwise lol.

Yeah, now that makes sense to me!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Honeymoon Period   The Honeymoon Period Empty

Back to top Go down

The Honeymoon Period

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
We have moved to www.dartsnutz.net :: Ask The Players, Darts Nutz Advice Team-