We have moved to www.dartsnutz.net
Darts Nutz forum has now moved to www.dartsnutz.net please register on that site instead.

Thanks!

Darts Nutz forum has now moved to www.dartsnutz.net please register on that site instead.

Thanks!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Re-register a new account there please

HomeLatest imagesQuestion for straight barrel Users LPRegisterLog in

Photobucket

map1
Display Pagerank

Question for straight barrel Users

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Saber

Saber

Question for straight barrel Users Empty
PostSubject: Question for straight barrel Users   Question for straight barrel Users EmptySun Jan 20, 2013 6:08 am

I shoot with straight barrel (26gm Sabers ATM) my question: Other than having a set made with a slight scallop where I hold them is there anything I can do to make sure my grip is at the same spot? Other than repetition of course. Being off just a hair as you well know can make a big difference. maybe use a file and scuff it up in that area? dunno. Or maybe have a set made with the slight scallop best? Thanks in advance for your input.
Larry
Back to top Go down
Skyblueadam

Skyblueadam

PostSubject: Re: Question for straight barrel Users   Question for straight barrel Users EmptySun Jan 20, 2013 6:15 am

The MVG's have a plain block of tungsten in the middle and at the back so he knows where to put his fingers. Wouldn't know how to describe it really
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Question for straight barrel Users   Question for straight barrel Users EmptySun Jan 20, 2013 6:28 am

Saber the problem you have with a scalloped dart is and other might say different i was always worying if my finger was in the right place on the scallop
Back to top Go down
Rebel

Rebel

PostSubject: Re: Question for straight barrel Users   Question for straight barrel Users EmptySun Jan 20, 2013 6:34 am

One of the members suggested a while ago (sorry can't remember who Embarassed ) to roll a rubber o' ring down your barrel to the point where you hold, tried it myself and it is quite effective and they last longer than you would think.

On my Lewis' I had them a couple of rings from the front and found that I could roll them into my hand and position my fingers the same every throw - not sure on the legality of doing it though TBH but worth a try if allowed, you can soon take them off.
Back to top Go down
Vallyr

Vallyr

PostSubject: Re: Question for straight barrel Users   Question for straight barrel Users EmptySun Jan 20, 2013 7:08 am

they sell darts with the rubber grip(dumb) but if they are legal and being pushed by industry brands then you'd think the o-ring suggestion would be legit. Can have rings on your shaft to lock it, just say it accidently got placed too low.

Correct grip is def important though but you dont want to go down the slippery slope and become obsessed because your pocket will start to hurt and might throw your game off .
Back to top Go down
Nucky

Nucky

PostSubject: Re: Question for straight barrel Users   Question for straight barrel Users EmptySun Jan 20, 2013 7:16 am

Rebel wrote:
One of the members suggested a while ago (sorry can't remember who Embarassed ) to roll a rubber o' ring down your barrel to the point where you hold, tried it myself and it is quite effective and they last longer than you would think.

On my Lewis' I had them a couple of rings from the front and found that I could roll them into my hand and position my fingers the same every throw - not sure on the legality of doing it though TBH but worth a try if allowed, you can soon take them off.

Hey, I remember that. I think his name was nuckers, knickers, knackers????

lol on floor lol on floor lol on floor
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/search/results.php?q=Robert+Drinovz&
Rebel

Rebel

PostSubject: Re: Question for straight barrel Users   Question for straight barrel Users EmptySun Jan 20, 2013 7:51 am

Could have been Knockers thinking about it? Laughing

It was a decent tip to be fair, tried it and it certainly works, may do the trick http://i111.photobuc
Back to top Go down
getagrip

getagrip

PostSubject: Re: Question for straight barrel Users   Question for straight barrel Users EmptySun Jan 20, 2013 9:34 am

get someone to write in very small letters " Hold Here"

That should work Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dazdart
rabsmith2

rabsmith2

PostSubject: Re: Question for straight barrel Users   Question for straight barrel Users EmptySun Jan 20, 2013 9:46 am

Had the same problem before the operation!!
Back to top Go down
Big Gun

Big Gun

PostSubject: Re: Question for straight barrel Users   Question for straight barrel Users EmptySun Jan 20, 2013 10:55 am

I position my third finger on the point and that then makes the rest of my hand follow and go in the same position each time other than that I would not throw the dart until I had it comfortably placed in my fingers. You know if it feels right as you lift it in front of your face before the throw and if it feels wrong just reset and start again.
Back to top Go down
Jimbo21

Jimbo21

PostSubject: Re: Question for straight barrel Users   Question for straight barrel Users EmptySun Jan 20, 2013 11:02 am

Could you use a permanent marker to put a line on them. I know you would have to look at the dart and not just stick it in your fingers like you would with the o-ring.
Back to top Go down
rumandcork

rumandcork

PostSubject: Re: Question for straight barrel Users   Question for straight barrel Users EmptySun Jan 20, 2013 12:44 pm

I use the smooth middle on my bears. Then catch first couple of rear teeth with thumb. On smooth barrels just wave out the sweet spot like a batter then swing.
Back to top Go down
Saber

Saber

PostSubject: Re: Question for straight barrel Users   Question for straight barrel Users EmptySun Jan 20, 2013 5:03 pm

Some great ideas guys - thanks bunches.
Back to top Go down
DIRTY G

DIRTY G

PostSubject: Re: Question for straight barrel Users   Question for straight barrel Users EmptySun Jan 20, 2013 5:50 pm

Here's an idea I posted awhile ago with someone who asked for help designing there custom dart.

The theory is that you slide your thumb along the smooth part of the barrel so that it grips at the balance point. And with no other grip on the dart the other fingers dont push or spin the barrel. I seem to balance the dart so that it is ever so slightly tipping at the rear.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Vallyr

Vallyr

PostSubject: Re: Question for straight barrel Users   Question for straight barrel Users EmptySun Jan 20, 2013 5:58 pm

also depends if you push or pull the dart. I've been watching alot of early in form bob anderson clips and his darts have almost a rear CoM(Center of Mass). He seems to pull the dart and the CoM follows and with a very flat trajectory .

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Saber

Saber

PostSubject: Re: Question for straight barrel Users   Question for straight barrel Users EmptySun Jan 20, 2013 9:02 pm

DIRTY G wrote:
Here's an idea I posted awhile ago with someone who asked for help designing there custom dart.

The theory is that you slide your thumb along the smooth part of the barrel so that it grips at the balance point. And with no other grip on the dart the other fingers dont push or spin the barrel. I seem to balance the dart so that it is ever so slightly tipping at the rear.

damn interesting Dirty/
Back to top Go down
Saber

Saber

PostSubject: Re: Question for straight barrel Users   Question for straight barrel Users EmptySun Jan 20, 2013 9:03 pm

anybody got any rubber rings ? would hate to buy just that! and Big gonna try your method too.
Back to top Go down
mc1958

mc1958

PostSubject: Re: Question for straight barrel Users   Question for straight barrel Users EmptySun Jan 20, 2013 9:56 pm

I'd go with the rubber ring suggestion to start with before going the custom route.

If that doesn't work then maybe think about customs. Either a smooth part on the barrel just below where your thumb goes or a scallop would be good - but the smooth part may be better for the balance of the dart
Back to top Go down
Saber

Saber

PostSubject: Re: Question for straight barrel Users   Question for straight barrel Users EmptySun Jan 20, 2013 10:05 pm

Thanks MC1958 - If I do go custom maybe shark grip everywhere except for where me thumb and finger rest, that could be ringed or vice, versa- ringed everywhere and shark where me grip lies. What ya think good idea or rubbish?
Back to top Go down
mc1958

mc1958

PostSubject: Re: Question for straight barrel Users   Question for straight barrel Users EmptySun Jan 20, 2013 10:15 pm

Sounds a bit like my second set of customs with the slight scallop - they work fine for me - I still use them as another backup/goto set (the top ones):

Back to top Go down
Saber

Saber

PostSubject: Re: Question for straight barrel Users   Question for straight barrel Users EmptySun Jan 20, 2013 10:19 pm

yeah , only diff would be mine at the balance point; So your grip at the back of the dart then?
Back to top Go down
mc1958

mc1958

PostSubject: Re: Question for straight barrel Users   Question for straight barrel Users EmptySun Jan 20, 2013 11:19 pm

fraid so lol - why not give the Mason's another go - didn't you like those?
Back to top Go down
davidsproull

davidsproull

PostSubject: Re: Question for straight barrel Users   Question for straight barrel Users EmptyMon Jan 21, 2013 12:09 am

Saber wrote:
I shoot with straight barrel (26gm Sabers ATM) my question: Other than having a set made with a slight scallop where I hold them is there anything I can do to make sure my grip is at the same spot? Other than repetition of course. Being off just a hair as you well know can make a big difference. maybe use a file and scuff it up in that area? dunno. Or maybe have a set made with the slight scallop best? Thanks in advance for your input.
Larry

You know it's funny, but one of the reasons I went for my current set of darts (smooth barrel, straight) is so it would NOT tell me where to put my fingers. You can feel the weight/balance in your hand or even on one finger before you close your grip, but really I think your grip is something you should maybe just do.

Only think I can think of is make your transfer from one hand to the next consistent in how you do it (but natural).

Just my two cents.
Back to top Go down
http://www.tblacblog.com/
USMC80

USMC80

PostSubject: Re: Question for straight barrel Users   Question for straight barrel Users EmptyMon Jan 21, 2013 1:25 am

masons too far in front for me, but would be perfect if scallop was farther back
Back to top Go down
Saber

Saber

PostSubject: Re: Question for straight barrel Users   Question for straight barrel Users EmptyMon Jan 21, 2013 3:47 am

davidsproull wrote:
Saber wrote:
Larry

You know it's funny, but one of the reasons I went for my current set of darts (smooth barrel, straight) is so it would NOT tell me where to put my fingers. You can feel the weight/balance in your hand or even on one finger before you close your grip, but really I think your grip is something you should maybe just do.

Only think I can think of is make your transfer from one hand to the next consistent in how you do it (but natural).

Just my two cents.
thx mate
Back to top Go down
Saber

Saber

PostSubject: Re: Question for straight barrel Users   Question for straight barrel Users EmptyMon Jan 21, 2013 3:50 am

getagrip wrote:
get someone to write in very small letters " Hold Here"

That should work Smile

Brilliant here ya reward for your thoughtful incite to my dilemma slPPING [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] lol on floor

Back to top Go down
Robbie the Robot

Robbie the Robot

PostSubject: Re: Question for straight barrel Users   Question for straight barrel Users EmptyThu Jan 24, 2013 12:43 am

I'm similar to Big Gun. My start point has my middle finger (just past the fingernail) between the point and the barrell. I spin my dart there and then cock it with my index finger and thumb. The key is the start point for me.
Back to top Go down
Saber

Saber

PostSubject: Re: Question for straight barrel Users   Question for straight barrel Users EmptyThu Jan 24, 2013 2:56 am

could I have a pic of that Robbie-please
Back to top Go down
Robbie the Robot

Robbie the Robot

PostSubject: Re: Question for straight barrel Users   Question for straight barrel Users EmptyThu Jan 24, 2013 4:30 am

I'll try to get one tonight while I'm packing for Vegas. I needed to put some in the Show Us Your Grip thread as well.
Back to top Go down
Lefty544

Lefty544

PostSubject: Re: Question for straight barrel Users   Question for straight barrel Users EmptyThu Jan 24, 2013 7:14 am

I balance my dart on my middle finger right before I grab it and pinch with my pointer and thumb. Then, move my middle finger forward to where I want it. Other than repetition I don't know any other ways to guarantee you are always grabbing it the same.

I suppose you could get a dart that has different grip patterns the length of the barrel. This may not work either if the grip patterns don't change with where you like to hold the dart
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Question for straight barrel Users   Question for straight barrel Users Empty

Back to top Go down

Question for straight barrel Users

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1