We have moved to www.dartsnutz.net
Darts Nutz forum has now moved to www.dartsnutz.net please register on that site instead.

Thanks!

Darts Nutz forum has now moved to www.dartsnutz.net please register on that site instead.

Thanks!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Re-register a new account there please

HomeLatest imagesInteresting article about Taylors Phase 7 LPRegisterLog in

Photobucket

map1
Display Pagerank

Interesting article about Taylors Phase 7

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
getagrip

getagrip

Interesting article about Taylors Phase 7 Empty
PostSubject: Interesting article about Taylors Phase 7   Interesting article about Taylors Phase 7 EmptyThu Aug 30, 2012 12:56 am

Its on the Unicorns Boffin Blog: http://www.unicorn-darts.com/news/2012/8/20/just-a-phase-he-went-through.aspx

Phil Taylor's Phase 7
So The Power ended up winning the World Matchplay with his Phase 5s, having dabbled with some “Phase 7s” en route without great success. Worth an explanatory blog, I reckon!

In fact, in terms of averages, the difference in performance between the two types of dart was not as clear-cut as all that. The Phase 7s averaged 103.10 in a tough first round against Mervyn, but then a mere 91.71 against Ian White in a match that, with all due respects to Ian, Phil wasn’t really pushed, winning 13-3. By comparison the Phase 5s yielded 105.05 in the quarters against The Hammer, 103.39 in the semis against Ronnie Baxter, but only 98.97 in the final against James Wade. So the Phase 5s did score better overall, but not that decisively.

However, it’s certainly true that the Phase 7s had a distinct tendency to land in the board at disconcerting and sometimes miss-inducing angles, surprising Phil who, in practice, had thought the darts “the best he had ever thrown”. So what was the problem?

Before we go into that, let me once again make something clear. Neither I nor Unicorn would ever presume to tell any Team Unicorn player – let alone a 15 times World Champion – which darts to use. In fact, if it were entirely up to me, as far as Phil’s concerned I’d probably wimp out with an “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it” recommendation (as in my May 2011 blog) and say stick with the Phase 5s for as long as you’re mostly winning with averages well over 100. But maybe that’s exactly why Phil has stayed at the top of world darts for so long whereas I’ve never risen above County standard at any sport – he’s never satisfied, always looking to improve, always picking up a new set of darts and trying them out, just to see.

And that’s exactly what happened with the Phase 7s. As with both Phase 4s and Phase 6s, Phil saw a set of Sigmas on a visit to Unicorn, tried them, liked them, and so had them modified to his grip and weight specifications. When they then did the business in practice, he naturally tried them in anger at the Matchplay.

So now back to the question of what went wrong from there. Well, to be truthful, even I can’t be absolutely sure. It could just be that, in extremis, the more rounded profile of heavier Sigmas doesn’t suit Phil quite as well as the slightly more parallel one of Phase 5s. But for the Phase 7s at the Matchplay there is another explanation.

Although Phil’s Phase 5 shaft is very similar to a Sigma Pro shaft, his DXM flights are much smaller than Sigma Pro flights. That, together with the barrel mods, made his Phase 7s significantly less stable than Sigma Pros and slightly less than Phase 5s. This might not be that noticeable under normal conditions, but on the hot Winter Gardens stage it could well have caused problems (it was especially warm up there for the first couple of rounds - Barney certainly suffered!).

The thing to realise here is that hot air is less dense, which means flights provide less lift and hence less stability. Something for players to bear in mind when practising in comfortable temperatures at home - maybe it would be worth turning the heating up sometimes!

So is that the last of Phil using Phase 7s, were they just a Phase he went through? I wouldn’t presume to say, but I also wouldn’t bet against him deciding to try out a Phase 8, just to see!

And now it’s time to move into the Closing Ceremony for this UniBlog by thanking Chris, John, Warren, and Jake for their comments on darts and the Olympics. And, speaking of the latter, weren’t they indeed magnificent? Warren might not be too happy about Australia’s medal haul, but I hope Jake would agree these games had a spirit about them that wasn’t as capitalist as he feared. And I at least will keep Chris in mind for my vote as a selector should darts ever make it in - a vote more likely to count than John’s one for me as President of the IOC. Reckon you could be endangering your “presumably sane” prefix with that one, John!

Finally, on a less happy note, I can’t sign off without paying my deepest respects to the inimitable Sid Waddell. Rest in peace, Sid - as a commentator it was you that had no more worlds to conquer. For me you really did make darts magic.
Back to top Go down
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dazdart
Saber

Saber

PostSubject: Re: Interesting article about Taylors Phase 7   Interesting article about Taylors Phase 7 EmptyThu Aug 30, 2012 2:35 am

excellent post
Back to top Go down
hamo

hamo

PostSubject: Re: Interesting article about Taylors Phase 7   Interesting article about Taylors Phase 7 EmptyThu Aug 30, 2012 2:37 am

Agreed, Very good read
Back to top Go down
getagrip

getagrip

PostSubject: Re: Interesting article about Taylors Phase 7   Interesting article about Taylors Phase 7 EmptyThu Aug 30, 2012 3:19 am

guess its just a phase he is going through then!
Back to top Go down
mr lakeside

mr lakeside

PostSubject: Re: Interesting article about Taylors Phase 7   Interesting article about Taylors Phase 7 EmptyThu Aug 30, 2012 7:44 am

I think he should go back to John Lowes
Back to top Go down
getagrip

getagrip

PostSubject: Re: Interesting article about Taylors Phase 7   Interesting article about Taylors Phase 7 EmptyThu Aug 30, 2012 8:08 am

mr lakeside wrote:
I think he should go back to John Lowes

LOL! yep Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Big Gun

Big Gun

PostSubject: Re: Interesting article about Taylors Phase 7   Interesting article about Taylors Phase 7 EmptyThu Aug 30, 2012 9:00 am

So to all those people who said he could beat anyone with 3 rusty nails it's just NOT TRUE cos he couldn't play with the phase 7's. About the only flaw in the greatest dart player to graced the oche, but a flaw non the less. Are all these Phases not just a money maker for Unicorn as his darts are quite different now from the first set he had and not many other players have made such a change. The barrel is now a totally different shape. Brissy or Lowey never changed that much.
Back to top Go down
the_cutter

the_cutter

PostSubject: Re: Interesting article about Taylors Phase 7   Interesting article about Taylors Phase 7 EmptyThu Aug 30, 2012 12:26 pm

Very interesting article. I always check Boffin's blog for info, he usually has good insights. As far as the design of the Phase 7, I can understand the 3 rings in front of the barrel. Having used the Phase 6, the smooth front of the barrel sometimes causes slippage for my throw. I don't have that much of a problem for my Silica Apollo (which is similar to the Phase 5), perhaps because of the added weight in front, and shape.

The temperature insight is interesting because where I play, it's very hot and humid during the afternoon and cooler in the evening. This just means that I may need to 'feel' my throw instead of changing flights in according to the temperature. Of course, I still have to figure that out.

I can understand Taylor's continued experimentation and change of darts, as he seems to always want to improve inspite of all his accomplishments. But at this point I still have to agree that the Phase 5s are currently his best darts. No wonder he goes back to them in critical moments.

Thanks for sharing, Darren.
Back to top Go down
getagrip

getagrip

PostSubject: Re: Interesting article about Taylors Phase 7   Interesting article about Taylors Phase 7 EmptyThu Aug 30, 2012 7:23 pm

I still think like Kev says its as much a marketing ploy by Unicorn, but I'm a bit cynical Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Interesting article about Taylors Phase 7   Interesting article about Taylors Phase 7 Empty

Back to top Go down

Interesting article about Taylors Phase 7

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1