We have moved to www.dartsnutz.net
Darts Nutz forum has now moved to www.dartsnutz.net please register on that site instead.

Thanks!

Darts Nutz forum has now moved to www.dartsnutz.net please register on that site instead.

Thanks!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Re-register a new account there please

HomeLatest imagesSo what stems are you using? LPRegisterLog in

Photobucket

map1
Display Pagerank

So what stems are you using?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Saber

Saber

So what stems are you using? Empty
PostSubject: So what stems are you using?   So what stems are you using? EmptyMon Mar 26, 2012 3:02 am

I use 23mm cosmo spinners white.
Back to top Go down
mc1958

mc1958

PostSubject: Re: So what stems are you using?   So what stems are you using? EmptyMon Mar 26, 2012 3:05 am

23mm Cosmo spinners for me as well - either black or two-tone
Back to top Go down
chrisbamb

PostSubject: Re: So what stems are you using?   So what stems are you using? EmptyMon Mar 26, 2012 3:05 am

Plain simple Small, Black Nylon ones. Smile
Back to top Go down
CanadianBacon

CanadianBacon

PostSubject: Re: So what stems are you using?   So what stems are you using? EmptyMon Mar 26, 2012 3:29 am

short laros for me. ranges from red, blue, smoke, black or white haha, yeah im a dart tart.
Back to top Go down
Saber

Saber

PostSubject: Re: So what stems are you using?   So what stems are you using? EmptyMon Mar 26, 2012 3:53 am

CanadianBacon wrote:
short laros for me. ranges from red, blue, smoke, black or white haha, yeah im a dart tart.
A man who can adapt with colors!
Back to top Go down
x2v

x2v

PostSubject: Re: So what stems are you using?   So what stems are you using? EmptyMon Mar 26, 2012 4:03 am

chrisbamb wrote:
Plain simple Small, Black Nylon ones. Smile

Same here.
Back to top Go down
getagrip

getagrip

PostSubject: Re: So what stems are you using?   So what stems are you using? EmptyMon Mar 26, 2012 4:03 am

18mm Cosmo spinners
Back to top Go down
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dazdart
Rebel

Rebel

PostSubject: Re: So what stems are you using?   So what stems are you using? EmptyMon Mar 26, 2012 4:48 am

I use short custom snow white nylons with rings (hole punched flights).

Works for me and I have, in over 12 months of using the hole punch, never had a flight come loose from them.
Back to top Go down
Saber

Saber

PostSubject: Re: So what stems are you using?   So what stems are you using? EmptyMon Mar 26, 2012 9:21 am

Rebel wrote:
I use short custom snow white nylons with rings (hole punched flights).

Works for me and I have, in over 12 months of using the hole punch, never had a flight come loose from them.
I use to use them, and got to say they are top notch.
Back to top Go down
Dalman

Dalman

PostSubject: Re: So what stems are you using?   So what stems are you using? EmptyMon Mar 26, 2012 7:57 pm

23mm Cosmo fixed
Back to top Go down
the_cutter

the_cutter

PostSubject: Re: So what stems are you using?   So what stems are you using? EmptyTue Mar 27, 2012 10:44 pm

slik stiks currently.
Back to top Go down
USMC80

USMC80

PostSubject: Re: So what stems are you using?   So what stems are you using? EmptyTue Mar 27, 2012 10:46 pm

Dalman wrote:
23mm Cosmo fixed

Same
Back to top Go down
Chalk Is Cheap

PostSubject: Re: So what stems are you using?   So what stems are you using? EmptyWed Mar 28, 2012 1:37 am

x-short aluminum at the moment, but after this league season (another month if we make the playoffs) I'm going to switch to either the cosmo or l-flight spinners.

I love the action on them but the feel will take some getting accustomed to and I don't want to make a switch like that in-season as it will take a couple of weeks to get settled in.

It's funny that I'll change my grip or stance in a heartbeat and adjust in a matter of minutes but changing from a fixed to a spinner stem basically destroyed my whole throw for a couple of days so I had to switch back.
Back to top Go down
dannyd180

dannyd180

PostSubject: Re: So what stems are you using?   So what stems are you using? EmptyWed Mar 28, 2012 2:06 am

23mm cosmo fixed - worth their weight in gold (literally)!!
Back to top Go down
Veni

Veni

PostSubject: Re: So what stems are you using?   So what stems are you using? EmptyThu Mar 29, 2012 7:04 pm

I use medium or extra nylon stems, I have tried many different stems. And the only other I like also are the Magnesium Sigma slikstik Very Happy
Back to top Go down
ShadowNotes

ShadowNotes

PostSubject: Re: So what stems are you using?   So what stems are you using? EmptyWed Apr 11, 2012 5:42 am

I'm really surprised by these answers but certainly have become well informed. I'm kinda new to darts (after a 60 year hiatus) and just assumed that medium was the only way to go. I've experimented with weights and the like, but because of the answers here, I tried some shorts and even the tiny micros. I'm really pleased with the results. I've just about got it covered in dart sets (10) and so now onto stems. BTW I'm also an avid slim flight guy. Thanks all for the info.
Back to top Go down
getagrip

getagrip

PostSubject: Re: So what stems are you using?   So what stems are you using? EmptyWed Apr 11, 2012 8:32 am

ShadowNotes wrote:
I'm really surprised by these answers but certainly have become well informed. I'm kinda new to darts (after a 60 year hiatus) and just assumed that medium was the only way to go. I've experimented with weights and the like, but because of the answers here, I tried some shorts and even the tiny micros. I'm really pleased with the results. I've just about got it covered in dart sets (10) and so now onto stems. BTW I'm also an avid slim flight guy. Thanks all for the info.

I used mediums all the time until recently, I have been using short stems and they have been great so far. Now I am testing out the slim flights too, not made my mind up yet but they are going ok at present.
Back to top Go down
ShadowNotes

ShadowNotes

PostSubject: Re: So what stems are you using?   So what stems are you using? EmptyWed Apr 11, 2012 9:10 am

That's really good news to me Grip. In my old scrap box, I discover some 13mm and some more 19mm. The experiment is really telling something. So I'll settle down in a few days and decide where to go from here. Makes sense that there should be less wobble and other distortion with the teeny stems. I often change my mind though...we'll see. Thanks for the input.

Oh, one more thing: I'm fixed point all the way. Barrels, stems & flights. Don't like stuff wobbling around when I'm trying to concentrate.

Last edited by ShadowNotes on Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:23 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Forgot something)
Back to top Go down
madzkymadz

PostSubject: Re: So what stems are you using?   So what stems are you using? EmptyWed Apr 11, 2012 12:09 pm

Slikstiks at this moment. Will try to buy and check out aluminum slikstiks in the future.
Back to top Go down
McInnis180

McInnis180

PostSubject: Re: So what stems are you using?   So what stems are you using? EmptyWed Apr 11, 2012 1:05 pm

31mm Cosmo Spinners and fixed......used the Sigma Titanium Slikstiks for the past four years....still like the look of them!!! Good Luck
Back to top Go down
getagrip

getagrip

PostSubject: Re: So what stems are you using?   So what stems are you using? EmptyWed Apr 11, 2012 7:46 pm

ShadowNotes wrote:
That's really good news to me Grip. In my old scrap box, I discover some 13mm and some more 19mm. The experiment is really telling something. So I'll settle down in a few days and decide where to go from here. Makes sense that there should be less wobble and other distortion with the teeny stems. I often change my mind though...we'll see. Thanks for the input.

Oh, one more thing: I'm fixed point all the way. Barrels, stems & flights. Don't like stuff wobbling around when I'm trying to concentrate.

Yeah I think its worth a little experimentation to find if something works better, also the stem length can be dictated by other factors such as the length of the barrels and even where you grip the barrel. It alters the balance point.
Back to top Go down
ochejockey

PostSubject: Re: So what stems are you using?   So what stems are you using? EmptyThu Apr 12, 2012 3:01 pm

getagrip wrote:
ShadowNotes wrote:

I used mediums all the time until recently, I have been using short stems and they have been great so far. Now I am testing out the slim flights too, not made my mind up yet but they are going ok at present.

Same here! I experimented between med. and short years ago and settled on mediums. In the last few weeks, I decided to try shorts again as I see them so often from the pros. It wasn't much of a difference as I thought. They maybe give me a little more directness in my throw? And I feel I can bring the dart further into my sightline that with a medium stem on my long barreled Phase IIs.

I tried Sliksticks a few years ago and didn't like them because they seemed cheap and flimsy. I just got some Phase 5 side-loaders with the Phase 6 barrels and they seem to have greatly improved. Titanium base screws into the barrel then better made/ cheaply replaceable stems screw into that.
Back to top Go down
ochejockey

PostSubject: Re: So what stems are you using?   So what stems are you using? EmptyThu Apr 12, 2012 3:10 pm

I used to use metal stems, but I got tired of finding out (often after a match) that they were bent; even the titanium ones. Tried bending them back, sometimes it worked, sometimes they got worse. Switched to nylon with rings and haven't looked back. I don't know why everyone has a problem with the flights popping off when they hit another dart. I think it may be an advantage. The flight gets knocked off instead of your dart getting knocked off course at the last instant. It just takes a couple seconds to push it back in. I've used them so long now, I automatically push on the flights as I'm walking from the board to keep them in snug. I don't think it distracts me.
Back to top Go down
Dalman

Dalman

PostSubject: Re: So what stems are you using?   So what stems are you using? EmptyFri Apr 13, 2012 8:18 pm

My fixed Cosmos are the slim ones mainly because I like the look of them But what difference would their be between slim or normal shafts? The normal ones must be more rigid and less flexible but is that necessarily a good thing?

Guess what i'm really asking is just how important are the stems apart from their length which has an obvious effect?
Back to top Go down
The Rage

The Rage

PostSubject: Re: So what stems are you using?   So what stems are you using? EmptyFri Apr 13, 2012 9:59 pm

Short nylon stems with punched flights for me all day long.

It's funny but if i ever put medium nylons on a long barrell the dart ends up looking way too long, like i'm gonna throw a javelin!! lol! I can throw ok with mediums but i look at them and think oh no you just look so wrong, just too long haha! Just me? I guess i just think the look of a dart is also important Smile

I'll get my coat.....
Back to top Go down
getagrip

getagrip

PostSubject: Re: So what stems are you using?   So what stems are you using? EmptyFri Apr 13, 2012 10:08 pm

Dalman wrote:
My fixed Cosmos are the slim ones mainly because I like the look of them But what difference would their be between slim or normal shafts? The normal ones must be more rigid and less flexible but is that necessarily a good thing?

Guess what i'm really asking is just how important are the stems apart from their length which has an obvious effect?

I would think apart from the length the weight of the stem although only slight differences, may have some effect on the overall balance, I'm sure that there will be some aerodynamic effect from the shape of the stem too, how much any of this is noticeable I really dont know, I doubt I would notice the changes myself but seasoned players might.
Back to top Go down
Ivefoundgod

Ivefoundgod

PostSubject: Re: So what stems are you using?   So what stems are you using? EmptyFri Apr 13, 2012 11:24 pm

I alter between medium nylon to short nylon, using short nylons at the moment. One thing that really annoys me about stems, in particular the Unicorn Gripper II is when they are not flush with the barrell, seems to be a slight lip when i put them on some of my darts, don't like it at all. Is this a common problem with these stems or is it just the darts i'm using them with? I generally use quite slim barrelled darts.
Back to top Go down
getagrip

getagrip

PostSubject: Re: So what stems are you using?   So what stems are you using? EmptySat Apr 14, 2012 1:02 am

Ivefoundgod wrote:
I alter between medium nylon to short nylon, using short nylons at the moment. One thing that really annoys me about stems, in particular the Unicorn Gripper II is when they are not flush with the barrell, seems to be a slight lip when i put them on some of my darts, don't like it at all. Is this a common problem with these stems or is it just the darts i'm using them with? I generally use quite slim barrelled darts.

I have experienced that lip too with those stems, makes me wonder if they designed them for specific barrels?
Back to top Go down
Saber

Saber

PostSubject: Re: So what stems are you using?   So what stems are you using? EmptyMon Aug 06, 2012 1:59 am

Thinking going with short stems now.
Back to top Go down
getagrip

getagrip

PostSubject: Re: So what stems are you using?   So what stems are you using? EmptyMon Aug 06, 2012 2:44 am

Try no stems and see if that helps!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: So what stems are you using?   So what stems are you using? Empty

Back to top Go down

So what stems are you using?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
We have moved to www.dartsnutz.net :: General Darts Chat-