We have moved to www.dartsnutz.net
Darts Nutz forum has now moved to www.dartsnutz.net please register on that site instead.

Thanks!

Darts Nutz forum has now moved to www.dartsnutz.net please register on that site instead.

Thanks!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Re-register a new account there please

HomeLatest imagesBasic tips and habits to avoid - Page 2 LPRegisterLog in

Photobucket

map1
Display Pagerank

Basic tips and habits to avoid

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
rumandcork

rumandcork

Basic tips and habits to avoid - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Basic tips and habits to avoid   Basic tips and habits to avoid - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 14, 2012 1:10 pm

word!
Back to top Go down
Big Gun

Big Gun

PostSubject: Re: Basic tips and habits to avoid   Basic tips and habits to avoid - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 13, 2012 10:42 pm

I think the whole shoes thing is important. I practice barefoot sometimes as my board is in the bedroom. I don't think it matters too much providing you don't practice for an hour then go straight to a game with your shoes on. I can tell the difference as my first 9 darts playing barefoot generally drop low but you adjust to suit. I try to practice in similar clothing to what I wear for matches then it keeps things consistent.

I always get to a match at least Half an hour early but mostly an hour to have a good throw on their board as the lighting and oche can all be so different and you will need to make slight adjustments to your game.

One other thing I hate to see is people shaking their head when a dart doesn't go where it should don't beat yourself up just step back re-focus and make sure the next one does. I see so many swearing and shaking their head and then not even leave a double from a 62 finish because the lose the plot after missing the treble 10.
Back to top Go down
getagrip

getagrip

PostSubject: Re: Basic tips and habits to avoid   Basic tips and habits to avoid - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 13, 2012 10:47 pm

interesting about shoes really because when I see some old pics of Bristows early days he had very high heels on his shoes, I often wondered if when he started to use flatter heels if it made a difference to his throw due to the slight height change?
Back to top Go down
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dazdart
Big Gun

Big Gun

PostSubject: Re: Basic tips and habits to avoid   Basic tips and habits to avoid - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 13, 2012 10:59 pm

I would think that when you play for 6 hours a day 7 days a week it must have an effect if you were to change something. For me consistency in everything I do is key to building my confidence and getting the win. Problem is fashions change so you have to learn to adapt or buy lots of shoes the same lol. I believe it is worse for players like myself who stand toe to the oche rather than the side foot stance as the shoes today are quite long in the toe so it moves you back an inch from the oche. I tell you darts has so many variables most wouldn't believe it for such a simple game.
Back to top Go down
getagrip

getagrip

PostSubject: Re: Basic tips and habits to avoid   Basic tips and habits to avoid - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 13, 2012 11:11 pm

Your right its amazing the amount of things needed to keep consistent to get that accuracy! Like trying to fine tune an F1 car!
Back to top Go down
Big Gun

Big Gun

PostSubject: Re: Basic tips and habits to avoid   Basic tips and habits to avoid - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 13, 2012 11:29 pm

True and I like that analogy
Back to top Go down
Saber

Saber

PostSubject: Re: Basic tips and habits to avoid   Basic tips and habits to avoid - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 14, 2012 4:38 am

Good advice Gun.
Back to top Go down
Saber

Saber

PostSubject: Re: Basic tips and habits to avoid   Basic tips and habits to avoid - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 12:44 am

Snatching , alligator arm or short arming (basically all the same) avoid this at all cost!
I snatch here and there (not good). So to help me extend my arm I have found that shooting at the top of the board ie double 20 makes me extend my arm.
Hope this helps.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Basic tips and habits to avoid   Basic tips and habits to avoid - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 16, 2012 7:27 am

One of the most important things you need to avoid at all costs is when you step to the board with 80 left. DO NOT shoot at the 16's no matter what the dart outchart says!!!

Just don't ever do it. In any situation.

Go 20's.

Last edited by Winmau on Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Big Gun

Big Gun

PostSubject: Re: Basic tips and habits to avoid   Basic tips and habits to avoid - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 16, 2012 9:03 am

What not even if you hate tops with a passion and haven't hit it for 2 seasons straight and your opponent is way back on 328 and double 16 is your favourite and you have been practising trebles all week and the 16 is the one you have been hitting consistently with 2 out of 3 darts every throw? Just checking lol
Back to top Go down
TheFox180

PostSubject: Re: Basic tips and habits to avoid   Basic tips and habits to avoid - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 16, 2012 9:05 am

I always shoot 16s with 80 left. never question it
Back to top Go down
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

PostSubject: Re: Basic tips and habits to avoid   Basic tips and habits to avoid - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 16, 2012 9:13 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I guess you're right. All the pro's on tv do it. And these guys DEPEND on winning in order to survive and feed their families. Oh wait.... None of them do it. Hmmmmm.
Back to top Go down
TheFox180

PostSubject: Re: Basic tips and habits to avoid   Basic tips and habits to avoid - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 16, 2012 9:15 am

Winmau wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I guess you're right. All the pro's on tv do it. And these guys DEPEND on winning in order to survive and feed their families. Oh wait.... None of them do it. Hmmmmm.

Haha
I guess at the end of the day it's personal preference.
Back to top Go down
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
Big Gun

Big Gun

PostSubject: Re: Basic tips and habits to avoid   Basic tips and habits to avoid - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 16, 2012 9:19 am

I never do it. Like double 10 but prefer 2x tops it's the only way to go & really pisses off your opponent.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Basic tips and habits to avoid   Basic tips and habits to avoid - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 16, 2012 9:26 am

Big gun. You're a great player. Let's say you get a chance to play on the big stage in December. The PDC World Championships. Since your ranking would be low chance are you would face a big dog in the prelims. Let's pick Adrian. It comes down to the last leg and everything is tied. Adrian went first and just missed tops. You step to the board for the biggest win of your life. You're sitting on 80 as you walk to the board. What do you do?
Back to top Go down
Big Gun

Big Gun

PostSubject: Re: Basic tips and habits to avoid   Basic tips and habits to avoid - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 16, 2012 5:51 pm

I would like to say treble 20 double ten then turn to the crowd, look at my wife and wave my fist in the air then cry. Reality is 2 single 20's then probably realise I had 1 dart to beat Aide get nervous and be an inch away from the double & probably on the inside of the wire.
I do believe your theory to be right on the play the percentage shot if the scores are close but to be honest if they are going in and the confidence is high go 4 the shot you think you will hit is my advice. Safety or percentage shots as we call them are great as you get a shot (and we all know no shot at a double means you can't win the game) but if you talk yourself out of the double you will lose anyway. I believe I can hit any double on the board, as they are all the same size. Under pressure I have missed 6 at my preferred or (favourite) D18's before but have hit double 19 first dart going for 98 treble 20 double 19 under the same pressure & that doesn't make sense, but it does when you think about it because who expects you to hit 38 because it's a bogey number & no one really likes it so the pressure is back off.
So going back to your question If I feel good & probably would be at a level game and last leg against the world champion treble 20 double 10. Feeling the pressure even single numbers are difficult so single 1 single 19 single 20 or another single 1 and make a complete mess of it leaving the worst possible outcome of 69 which is such a low finish but a 3 darter if you don't hit a treble. And this number is a whole new topic.
Back to top Go down
getagrip

getagrip

PostSubject: Re: Basic tips and habits to avoid   Basic tips and habits to avoid - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 16, 2012 6:55 pm

I just keep going till I end up on double 1 rolling eyes
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Basic tips and habits to avoid   Basic tips and habits to avoid - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 16, 2012 11:07 pm

Great response BG. Only reason I put it in here was it was a tip for beginners.

I figured they could use the extra dart at a big double instead of the bull after

hitting 2 singles. Every bit helps at any level really. But I thought it was a good tip

considering most older outshot charts tell you to go triple 16, double 16. When in reality

I don't know of any PRO player that goes that way on tv.
Back to top Go down
Big Gun

Big Gun

PostSubject: Re: Basic tips and habits to avoid   Basic tips and habits to avoid - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 16, 2012 11:22 pm

Quite rightly so to and as I said I agree with you on it. Any 2 singles to leave a double is always favourite with players at any level so it was a great tip. Plus you got me thinking about other things so it was good all round. Have a look at my post on Favourite Doubles cos it was you who prompted me to think more about that topic. This is the reason why I love this forum because we all have great opinions and we can share, debate and pick apart all things to make it work for our own game. No 1 thing will ever be right for everyone so keep posting cos I am still learning new things every day.
I love the Bull and use it in lots of shots like 94 as it gives me a shot back at it should I hit a 25 and then Single 19 so its a good marker.
Back to top Go down
Saber

Saber

PostSubject: Re: Basic tips and habits to avoid   Basic tips and habits to avoid - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 16, 2012 11:24 pm

I shoot the 20's no hesitation here. Did several double tops in league play last session and it just takes the wind out of the opponent. Say first dart single, then another single tops. Say you hit treble ,db 10. Lots of options with 20's in my opinion.
Back to top Go down
Grey Owl

Grey Owl

PostSubject: Re: Basic tips and habits to avoid   Basic tips and habits to avoid - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 17, 2012 12:12 am

Habits to avoid.

1) Snatching , alligator arm or short arming (basically all the same) avoid this at all cost! This is great advice given by Silver Saber. Throw and extend fully on your follow through,

Counter this by not being to quick to retrieve your next dart in your hand. Actually hold your extended throwing hand until the thrown dart reached the board. Include this in your warm up if you need to loose this bad habit.

2) Don't get lost in over thinking what you want your arm, head, hand or whatever has to do. If you must think .. pick 2 or 3 key points only .. or else you will loose yourself in the never ending maze.

3) After you hit that first Triple 20 and you have more dart(s) in hand ... STOP THINKING HOW ... instead TRUST ... Trust and think "DO THE SAME THING" without any further instruction from your head.

Back to top Go down
getagrip

getagrip

PostSubject: Re: Basic tips and habits to avoid   Basic tips and habits to avoid - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 17, 2012 12:25 am

Great tips Grey Owl!
Back to top Go down
DIRTY G

DIRTY G

PostSubject: Re: Basic tips and habits to avoid   Basic tips and habits to avoid - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 19, 2012 9:38 pm

3) After you hit that first Triple 20 and you have more dart(s) in hand ... STOP THINKING HOW ... instead TRUST ... Trust and think "DO THE SAME THING" without any further instruction from your head.

number 3 tip from grey owl

best tip ever
Back to top Go down
getagrip

getagrip

PostSubject: Re: Basic tips and habits to avoid   Basic tips and habits to avoid - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 20, 2012 1:12 am

it is and its the one I need to implement the most!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Basic tips and habits to avoid   Basic tips and habits to avoid - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 20, 2012 1:20 am

This is always a good tip.

If you lose to a jerk, avoid taking him down to the ground and placing him in an arm-bar, forcing him to tap out. Will most likely get you in trouble and kicked out of the event.
Back to top Go down
getagrip

getagrip

PostSubject: Re: Basic tips and habits to avoid   Basic tips and habits to avoid - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 20, 2012 1:34 am

LOL!

Larry usually just shots them!
Back to top Go down
Saber

Saber

PostSubject: Re: Basic tips and habits to avoid   Basic tips and habits to avoid - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 09, 2012 1:34 am

lol on floor
Admin wrote:
You are sticking to the number 1 rule ,, Just enjoy playing the game ! And dont worry about not listening to Larry , We dont either !! lol!
affraid slPPING
Back to top Go down
DIRTY G

DIRTY G

PostSubject: Re: Basic tips and habits to avoid   Basic tips and habits to avoid - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 09, 2012 11:47 am

Shoot like you got a full pint on top of your head. and let your brain do the work not your eyes and arm. also I liken it to throwing popcorn into your mates mouth.

Am I making any sence? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
getagrip

getagrip

PostSubject: Re: Basic tips and habits to avoid   Basic tips and habits to avoid - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 09, 2012 6:33 pm

Sort of JD, but is that an Aussie pint or a UK pint lol

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Basic tips and habits to avoid   Basic tips and habits to avoid - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 10, 2012 9:19 am

Another good tip to remember. I was reminded of this the other night when some other team said this AFTER losing.

During a double elimination tournament don't ever tell the winner that you'll be back to see them again.

More times then not I've seen that player to go on and lose the very next round.

No "see you again" for them.

So to all the new players. Don't ever tell someone you'll be back around.

Remember your sportsmanship and take the loss like a man.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Basic tips and habits to avoid   Basic tips and habits to avoid - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Basic tips and habits to avoid

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next