We have moved to www.dartsnutz.net
Darts Nutz forum has now moved to www.dartsnutz.net please register on that site instead.

Thanks!

Darts Nutz forum has now moved to www.dartsnutz.net please register on that site instead.

Thanks!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Re-register a new account there please

HomeLatest imagesUnicorn Andy Hamilton 25g Darts Review LPRegisterLog in

Photobucket

map1
Display Pagerank

Unicorn Andy Hamilton 25g Darts Review

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
getagrip

getagrip

Unicorn Andy Hamilton 25g Darts Review Empty
PostSubject: Unicorn Andy Hamilton 25g Darts Review   Unicorn Andy Hamilton 25g Darts Review EmptyWed Feb 08, 2012 4:00 am

These are the new gold darts that Andy Hamilton recently started using and very well he did too!, reaching the final of the P.D.C. World Championships.

After seeing these darts on tv in that competition I just had to have some. I made a New Years Resolution not to buy any darts in January but then someone had these for sale after winning them in a competition so I had to have them. No way could I pass up the chance to get these for £36 when the cheapest I have seen is £43. They were brand new and unused too!

Ok lets get on with it, here is how they are packaged:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Here is what you get:
The barrels have a golden titanium coating and are 97% tungsten
supplied with a Unicorn Eclipse Max case
Aluminium Stems
Maestro Signature Flights Standard Shape
8 Flight Protectors (which I never us anyway)

I cant say I'm a fan of the Unicorn Eclipse case's and kind of wish they would stop making them and supply a better case.
I also think they should supply some rubber "O" rings if they are going to provide alloy stems, so as to help them grip better, and also maybe a set of short stems too. Thats just my personal quibble and its not an issue for me as I have lots of my own but for someone who is buying their first set of darts it would be nice to have them especially if they pay the full retail price of £47.99.

The darts themselves are beautiful looking darts and have the Andy Hamilton signature etched on the nose of the barrels.

They only come in Andy's weight of 25g and they are fitted with the standard silver points which all Unicorn darts seem to be fitted with. They look a great quality set and I would say the level of grip is about a 4, its a thin ring style grip over much of the barrel apart from the 7mm of the nose which is a smooth taper.

As you can see from the pics they are centrally weighted. They are evenly matched too, I weighed two barrels at 25.3g and one barrel at 25.4g:

Length is 41.7mm and the widest part is 7.9mm:

Here they are with the medium alloy stems as supplied, with my Cosmos inbetween stems and a short stem:

Here is the balance point with each stem fitted:

This is the setup I used to have a throw with them:

Ok then, my first 9 darts seemed to drift into the 5's, but the very first thing I noticed about these darts was the way they seemed to zip through the air, it was like a little bullet they seemed to fly quicker than what my recent darts the Target Sprint 23g do. No idea if thats down to the shape or the length or what??

Here is what my normal grip is like and the grip I was using on my first 9 darts:

I decided to alter my grip and place my thumb more in the darts centre of gravity like so:
Thats not my normal grip but what a huge difference it made!!

My next 3 darts all went into single 20 and my next 3 I scored a 125! a few throws later I hit a 140!! I could not believe how much better they flew once I altered my grip, the only problem I had was trying to concentrate on keeping that grip but I'm sure I could get used to that.

My overall opinion of these darts is that they are a really good quality set that when gripped right flew beautifully and are a joy to throw with.

If I was paying the full retail price for these I would give them an 8/10 but as I got them a little cheaper its a big 10/10 from me.
Back to top Go down
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dazdart
Saber

Saber

PostSubject: Re: Unicorn Andy Hamilton 25g Darts Review   Unicorn Andy Hamilton 25g Darts Review EmptyWed Feb 08, 2012 4:16 am

Nice review Darren
Back to top Go down
getagrip

getagrip

PostSubject: Re: Unicorn Andy Hamilton 25g Darts Review   Unicorn Andy Hamilton 25g Darts Review EmptyWed Feb 08, 2012 4:17 am

Cheers Larry!
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Unicorn Andy Hamilton 25g Darts Review   Unicorn Andy Hamilton 25g Darts Review EmptyWed Feb 08, 2012 4:40 am

Best darts review ive seen Darren , Well done !
Back to top Go down
http://www.dartsnutz.com
getagrip

getagrip

PostSubject: Re: Unicorn Andy Hamilton 25g Darts Review   Unicorn Andy Hamilton 25g Darts Review EmptyWed Feb 08, 2012 4:52 am

Thanks Andy, glad you like it mate!
Back to top Go down
dannyd180

dannyd180

PostSubject: Re: Unicorn Andy Hamilton 25g Darts Review   Unicorn Andy Hamilton 25g Darts Review EmptyWed Feb 08, 2012 9:30 am

Excellent review Darren 10/10 mate!
Back to top Go down
getagrip

getagrip

PostSubject: Re: Unicorn Andy Hamilton 25g Darts Review   Unicorn Andy Hamilton 25g Darts Review EmptyWed Feb 08, 2012 9:53 am

Thanks Danny!
Back to top Go down
madzkymadz

PostSubject: Re: Unicorn Andy Hamilton 25g Darts Review   Unicorn Andy Hamilton 25g Darts Review EmptyMon Feb 13, 2012 1:59 pm

nice review grip! Smile would like to buy one these too. Smile I'm in a dilemma in which to buy first.
this one or phase 5 or target lewis silica (all 25g ) ??
Back to top Go down
getagrip

getagrip

PostSubject: Re: Unicorn Andy Hamilton 25g Darts Review   Unicorn Andy Hamilton 25g Darts Review EmptyMon Feb 13, 2012 8:04 pm

madzkymadz wrote:
nice review grip! Smile would like to buy one these too. Smile I'm in a dilemma in which to buy first.

Thanks Madz!

Its a nightmare when you have your heart set on a few different sets.

Well I have tried the Lewis darts and they felt a little long for me and I have had 2 sets of Phase 5's and never got on very well with them.

I'm going to play with the Hamiltons all this week and see how they work for me.
Back to top Go down
madzkymadz

PostSubject: Re: Unicorn Andy Hamilton 25g Darts Review   Unicorn Andy Hamilton 25g Darts Review EmptyTue Feb 14, 2012 12:50 am

getagrip wrote:
madzkymadz wrote:

Thanks Madz!

Well I have tried the Lewis darts and they felt a little long for me and I have had 2 sets of Phase 5's and never got on very well with them.

I'm going to play with the Hamiltons all this week and see how they work for me.

I really like to buy the Lewis darts since the barrel is the same as my current darts but a little longer (about 3mm difference). I really want to try phase 5 and the Hamiltons though to see if it really fits me. Smile
Back to top Go down
getagrip

getagrip

PostSubject: Re: Unicorn Andy Hamilton 25g Darts Review   Unicorn Andy Hamilton 25g Darts Review EmptyTue Feb 14, 2012 2:28 am

madzkymadz wrote:
getagrip wrote:
madzkymadz wrote:

Thanks Madz!

I really like to buy the Lewis darts since the barrel is the same as my current darts but a little longer (about 3mm difference). I really want to try phase 5 and the Hamiltons though to see if it really fits me. Smile

LOL looks like your going to save some money then, 3 expensive sets to try mate!
Back to top Go down
madzkymadz

PostSubject: Re: Unicorn Andy Hamilton 25g Darts Review   Unicorn Andy Hamilton 25g Darts Review EmptyTue Feb 14, 2012 9:45 am

getagrip wrote:
madzkymadz wrote:
getagrip wrote:
madzkymadz wrote:

Thanks Madz!

LOL looks like your going to save some money then, 3 expensive sets to try mate!

Yeah seems expensive but I'll try to save enough to buy each of those Smile
Back to top Go down
the_cutter

the_cutter

PostSubject: Re: Unicorn Andy Hamilton 25g Darts Review   Unicorn Andy Hamilton 25g Darts Review EmptyThu Mar 15, 2012 4:13 pm

great review! thanks for sharing. i'm considering getting either a target perfect storm 23g or unicorn andy hamilton ones. so your review is perfect. cheers!
Back to top Go down
getagrip

getagrip

PostSubject: Re: Unicorn Andy Hamilton 25g Darts Review   Unicorn Andy Hamilton 25g Darts Review EmptyThu Mar 15, 2012 8:17 pm

the_cutter wrote:
great review! thanks for sharing. i'm considering getting either a target perfect storm 23g or unicorn andy hamilton ones. so your review is perfect. cheers!

Cheers mate, I think if you like to grip the barrels in the centre the Hammys will be perfect, I prefer to grip near the front really.
Back to top Go down
dvsdog

dvsdog

PostSubject: Re: Unicorn Andy Hamilton 25g Darts Review   Unicorn Andy Hamilton 25g Darts Review EmptyFri Mar 16, 2012 2:29 am

Ya, that was a nice review Grip.

I could easily see that the grip reposition would suit those darts and it seems validated by your trial. How have ya made out with them and are you still gripping in the middle or back to the old nose pinch?
Back to top Go down
getagrip

getagrip

PostSubject: Re: Unicorn Andy Hamilton 25g Darts Review   Unicorn Andy Hamilton 25g Darts Review EmptyFri Mar 16, 2012 2:40 am

dvsdog wrote:
Ya, that was a nice review Grip.

I could easily see that the grip reposition would suit those darts and it seems validated by your trial. How have ya made out with them and are you still gripping in the middle or back to the old nose pinch?

No mate, sadly although it was the right way to grip them I could not get consistently used to it. Back to using my front grip with my Target Sprints and I sold the Hammys.

Very nice darts but I think a centre balance dart is not for me in the end. I always seemed quite good on the 20's with them but was not so good elsewhere round the board, I'm sticking to either straight barrelled darts or front weighted darts now.
Back to top Go down
dvsdog

dvsdog

PostSubject: Re: Unicorn Andy Hamilton 25g Darts Review   Unicorn Andy Hamilton 25g Darts Review EmptyFri Mar 16, 2012 3:05 am

Ya, I figured you might go back. Old habits die hard and stick in the head when you should be focussing. I'm sure it's in one of your posts but what weight are the Sprints? I ask in relation to the flights discussion elsewhere.
Back to top Go down
getagrip

getagrip

PostSubject: Re: Unicorn Andy Hamilton 25g Darts Review   Unicorn Andy Hamilton 25g Darts Review EmptyFri Mar 16, 2012 3:28 am

dvsdog wrote:
Ya, I figured you might go back. Old habits die hard and stick in the head when you should be focussing. I'm sure it's in one of your posts but what weight are the Sprints? I ask in relation to the flights discussion elsewhere.

The Sprints are 23g, but I'm very tempted to go a bit heavier to be honest.
Back to top Go down
dvsdog

dvsdog

PostSubject: Re: Unicorn Andy Hamilton 25g Darts Review   Unicorn Andy Hamilton 25g Darts Review EmptyFri Mar 16, 2012 9:49 am

Ya, I'm quite surprised by how much better the toss feels to me by going from my 23g Targets to the 24 Ice although it was also a return to a straight barrel from the scallop. It's the wee things that keep us tinkering but as said, I'm sticking to this set up for the proverbial mth lol even if those Rocket flights are calling my name now Mike showed me where to get them. I'll say it again, Bastard Evil or Very Mad Wink-can't find the icon lol
Back to top Go down
getagrip

getagrip

PostSubject: Re: Unicorn Andy Hamilton 25g Darts Review   Unicorn Andy Hamilton 25g Darts Review EmptyFri Mar 16, 2012 7:59 pm

Thats the problem with being darts addicts, we like to try something all the time, you wont be happy until you satisfy that urge Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Saber

Saber

PostSubject: Re: Unicorn Andy Hamilton 25g Darts Review   Unicorn Andy Hamilton 25g Darts Review EmptyFri Mar 16, 2012 9:32 pm

And boy do u have the urge !
Back to top Go down
getagrip

getagrip

PostSubject: Re: Unicorn Andy Hamilton 25g Darts Review   Unicorn Andy Hamilton 25g Darts Review EmptyFri Mar 16, 2012 9:51 pm

SilverSaber wrote:
And boy do u have the urge !

Oh Yes Sir!! I certainly do! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
getagrip

getagrip

PostSubject: Re: Unicorn Andy Hamilton 25g Darts Review   Unicorn Andy Hamilton 25g Darts Review EmptySun Mar 31, 2013 5:26 am

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Unicorn Andy Hamilton 25g Darts Review   Unicorn Andy Hamilton 25g Darts Review Empty

Back to top Go down

Unicorn Andy Hamilton 25g Darts Review

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
We have moved to www.dartsnutz.net :: Reviews And Shops :: Darts Reviews-