We have moved to www.dartsnutz.net
Darts Nutz forum has now moved to www.dartsnutz.net please register on that site instead.

Thanks!

Darts Nutz forum has now moved to www.dartsnutz.net please register on that site instead.

Thanks!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Re-register a new account there please

HomeLatest imagesWhen should you play your first competition? LPRegisterLog in

Photobucket

map1
Display Pagerank

When should you play your first competition?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Ryankelly98

When should you play your first competition? Empty
PostSubject: When should you play your first competition?   When should you play your first competition? EmptyTue Jan 08, 2013 8:52 am

Ive only been playing a short while however i am progressing alot and i was wondering how long do u think i should wait until i enter a competition?
Back to top Go down
Skyblueadam

Skyblueadam

PostSubject: Re: When should you play your first competition?   When should you play your first competition? EmptyTue Jan 08, 2013 8:56 am

I played my first competitive game a month ago and so far I've won 2 and lost 1. I then started playing a tournament a few weeks after. Experience is what you need :-)
Back to top Go down
Eslotes

Eslotes

PostSubject: Re: When should you play your first competition?   When should you play your first competition? EmptyTue Jan 08, 2013 9:03 am

Go to a local bar where they play league,and ask if you can play against them and if you are good ask for to play with them in league...
Back to top Go down
Ryankelly98

PostSubject: Re: When should you play your first competition?   When should you play your first competition? EmptyTue Jan 08, 2013 9:04 am

Skyblueadam wrote:
I played my first competitive game a month ago and so far I've won 2 and lost 1. I then started playing a tournament a few weeks after. Experience is what you need :-)

thanks mate:) also, how long had you been playing before you played ur first competitive match? Smile
Back to top Go down
Skyblueadam

Skyblueadam

PostSubject: Re: When should you play your first competition?   When should you play your first competition? EmptyTue Jan 08, 2013 9:05 am

I'm only 13 :-)
Back to top Go down
Ryankelly98

PostSubject: Re: When should you play your first competition?   When should you play your first competition? EmptyTue Jan 08, 2013 9:06 am

how many 180's have you hit? ;)
Back to top Go down
Skyblueadam

Skyblueadam

PostSubject: Re: When should you play your first competition?   When should you play your first competition? EmptyTue Jan 08, 2013 9:08 am

16 this year. Didn't count last year. Haven't played for long though either.
How many have you hit?
What's your best leg?
Back to top Go down
Ryankelly98

PostSubject: Re: When should you play your first competition?   When should you play your first competition? EmptyTue Jan 08, 2013 9:14 am

ive been playing on and off for maybe 2 years! like every time the WDC come on tv. but only been playing properly 5 days haha! hit my first 180 yesterday ! Smile
Back to top Go down
Skyblueadam

Skyblueadam

PostSubject: Re: When should you play your first competition?   When should you play your first competition? EmptyTue Jan 08, 2013 9:15 am

Well done ;-) I've PM'd you
Back to top Go down
getagrip

getagrip

PostSubject: Re: When should you play your first competition?   When should you play your first competition? EmptyTue Jan 08, 2013 9:21 am

Welcome Ryan and good one on your first 180!

I guess if your naturally good at the game like what Skyblueadam sounds to be, then you can enter comps quickly, but even if your not join a team and your game will improve any way. Good Luck
Back to top Go down
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dazdart
Skyblueadam

Skyblueadam

PostSubject: Re: When should you play your first competition?   When should you play your first competition? EmptyTue Jan 08, 2013 9:23 am

I practise everyday for about 4 months :-)
Back to top Go down
hamo

hamo

PostSubject: Re: When should you play your first competition?   When should you play your first competition? EmptyTue Jan 08, 2013 9:34 am

My advice would be to go and watch one first if your unsure and you'll be able to gauge the standard you need to be hitting. And don't be afraid of getting beat,its all part of the learning curve...we all had to start somewhere and the experience you will gain at tourneys / league games will work wonders.

Good luck anyway, and let us know how you get on when you enter one.
Back to top Go down
Ryankelly98

PostSubject: Re: When should you play your first competition?   When should you play your first competition? EmptyTue Jan 08, 2013 9:35 am

getagrip wrote:
Welcome Ryan and good one on your first 180!

I guess if your naturally good at the game like what Skyblueadam sounds to be, then you can enter comps quickly, but even if your not join a team and your game will improve any way. Good Luck

thanks Smile and also im looking for some practice routines! do u know any ? Smile
Back to top Go down
Skyblueadam

Skyblueadam

PostSubject: Re: When should you play your first competition?   When should you play your first competition? EmptyTue Jan 08, 2013 9:38 am

I just play whenever I feel up to it ;)
Back to top Go down
Jimbo21

Jimbo21

PostSubject: Re: When should you play your first competition?   When should you play your first competition? EmptyTue Jan 08, 2013 9:38 am

Dont be affraid to enter comps early on, just be mindful that you may cop some beatings.
A lot of people are too scared to enter because they dont think they are good enough.

While you are just starting your darting journey, have no fear, just enjoy the atmosphere that comes in tournaments. You will make many new friends and form some long lasting rivalries as well.

Main thing to remember is to have fun.
Back to top Go down
Jimbo21

Jimbo21

PostSubject: Re: When should you play your first competition?   When should you play your first competition? EmptyTue Jan 08, 2013 9:39 am

Ryan, have a look at this thread.

http://www.dartsnutz.com/f37-practice-challenges
Back to top Go down
Jimbo21

Jimbo21

PostSubject: Re: When should you play your first competition?   When should you play your first competition? EmptyTue Jan 08, 2013 9:40 am

Back to top Go down
Skyblueadam

Skyblueadam

PostSubject: Re: When should you play your first competition?   When should you play your first competition? EmptyTue Jan 08, 2013 9:43 am

This guy is wise ^^^
Back to top Go down
Jimbo21

Jimbo21

PostSubject: Re: When should you play your first competition?   When should you play your first competition? EmptyTue Jan 08, 2013 10:16 am

Lol, Ive been around darts for 25 years or more now mate. Ive tried a lot of things in that time.
Back to top Go down
Pearce161

Pearce161

PostSubject: Re: When should you play your first competition?   When should you play your first competition? EmptyTue Jan 08, 2013 11:23 am

I agree with the above, get out there as soon as you can, the more experience you can get early the better
Back to top Go down
Saber

Saber

PostSubject: Re: When should you play your first competition?   When should you play your first competition? EmptyTue Jan 08, 2013 12:16 pm

Join flight school its free. It down at bottom of my signature- just click. Good luck
Back to top Go down
Franz

PostSubject: Re: When should you play your first competition?   When should you play your first competition? EmptyTue Jan 08, 2013 6:48 pm

I've played in my first comp the same day I've start to play darts. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
getagrip

getagrip

PostSubject: Re: When should you play your first competition?   When should you play your first competition? EmptyTue Jan 08, 2013 7:31 pm

in at the deep end Franz, how was it?
Back to top Go down
Franz

PostSubject: Re: When should you play your first competition?   When should you play your first competition? EmptyTue Jan 08, 2013 9:02 pm

It was in a pub where the owner, a friend of mine, asked if I could join cause one player miss. I've lost all the matches but I had a lot of fun so I've decided to continue to play.
Back to top Go down
Jimbo21

Jimbo21

PostSubject: Re: When should you play your first competition?   When should you play your first competition? EmptyTue Jan 08, 2013 9:11 pm

Thats the spirit Franz.

Thats how us darts nutz are created. lol
Back to top Go down
Veni

Veni

PostSubject: Re: When should you play your first competition?   When should you play your first competition? EmptyTue Jan 08, 2013 10:49 pm

Nice Franz Smile

Thats about how I started also Smile I had declined my friends invites to the dart club for 2 years Smile But then one Wednesday I didnt have an excuse Smile So I followed him and played the comp at the club Smile
Back to top Go down
getagrip

getagrip

PostSubject: Re: When should you play your first competition?   When should you play your first competition? EmptyTue Jan 08, 2013 11:57 pm

Franz wrote:
It was in a pub where the owner, a friend of mine, asked if I could join cause one player miss. I've lost all the matches but I had a lot of fun so I've decided to continue to play.

Great!

Thats how John Lowe started too so your in good company Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Big Gun

Big Gun

PostSubject: Re: When should you play your first competition?   When should you play your first competition? EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 1:17 am

There will never be a right time to play your 1st comp buddy. The best time is when you feel ready. Some comps attract great players from the PDC and others are just a few locals down the pub at the end of the day it's about gaining experience on the oche and any comp will give you that. I suggest you set yourself up a practice routine for half an hour a day and enter as many comps as you can afford to enter over the next few months. This will help you gauge how good the players around you are and will help you to understand the game a little better from an active players perspective. No one is ever the same player in a comp as they are at home so don't be fooled in to thinking they are both the same.

Go for it and remember it is only a game so try to enjoy it. Post your results on here & we will offer you some support and guidance for future comps.

All the best buddy

Big Gun
Back to top Go down
Ryankelly98

PostSubject: Re: When should you play your first competition?   When should you play your first competition? EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 3:31 am

Big Gun wrote:
There will never be a right time to play your 1st comp buddy. The best time is when you feel ready. Some comps attract great players from the PDC and others are just a few locals down the pub at the end of the day it's about gaining experience on the oche and any comp will give you that. I suggest you set yourself up a practice routine for half an hour a day and enter as many comps as you can afford to enter over the next few months. This will help you gauge how good the players around you are and will help you to understand the game a little better from an active players perspective. No one is ever the same player in a comp as they are at home so don't be fooled in to thinking they are both the same.

Go for it and remember it is only a game so try to enjoy it. Post your results on here & we will offer you some support and guidance for future comps.

All the best buddy

Big Gun
thanks mate! as im only 14 ill be playing irish youth competitions! hopefully the standard isnt too high Very Happy
Back to top Go down
chrisbamb

PostSubject: Re: When should you play your first competition?   When should you play your first competition? EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 1:24 pm

Listen to Big Gun. Dead right, play one when you feel ready for it!!

If you don't think you're ready, then don't set yourself up for a fall, but on the other hand, don't keep waiting too long or you'll just keep putting it off.

I finally went in to our Premier League in Plymouth at the local Rileys against some top class players, I Won 5 and lost 7. I would have snapped your hand off if you'd have offered me that before it started, but walked away just like a golfer feeling like I'd left 2 or 3 out there that I should have got.

I feel a lot better now about taking on the so called "big guns" in the area.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: When should you play your first competition?   When should you play your first competition? Empty

Back to top Go down

When should you play your first competition?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next