We have moved to www.dartsnutz.net
Darts Nutz forum has now moved to www.dartsnutz.net please register on that site instead.

Thanks!

Darts Nutz forum has now moved to www.dartsnutz.net please register on that site instead.

Thanks!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Re-register a new account there please

HomeLatest imagesplaying in tournaments LPRegisterLog in

Photobucket

map1
Display Pagerank

playing in tournaments

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Nucky

Nucky

playing in tournaments Empty
PostSubject: playing in tournaments   playing in tournaments EmptyTue Dec 25, 2012 12:07 pm

Merry Christmas everyone and all the best in the new year!!!

I was thinking that as I am watching the world dart championships, I wonder what it it like to play in a big tournament? I've only played in fun events which were all mixed team type formats so I have no experience with a large field of shooters. I would love to hear stories/feedback on playing at big events, including any interesting things that happened going to or from the venue and also what it is like behind the scenes.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/search/results.php?q=Robert+Drinovz&
Jimbo21

Jimbo21

PostSubject: Re: playing in tournaments   playing in tournaments EmptyTue Dec 25, 2012 9:22 pm

I cant really comment as I have never been able to do any good in singles comps.

I did however make the last 4 of our state pairs comp earlier this year. That was fun, playing with a partner does help the nerves.
Back to top Go down
Nucky

Nucky

PostSubject: Re: playing in tournaments   playing in tournaments EmptyWed Dec 26, 2012 6:48 am

How big an event was it Jimbo? What is it like playing on the "floor" with lots of boards on the go at the same time?
Back to top Go down
Jimbo21

Jimbo21

PostSubject: Re: playing in tournaments   playing in tournaments EmptyWed Dec 26, 2012 7:15 am

It is one of the most prestigious titles we have in my state. They do a state singles, pairs and 4's once a year.

Unfortunately, we have trouble getting any great numbers to participate. I think we had 16 pairs entered.

The pairs were split into 2 groups of 8. Then those 2 groups play round robin, so everyone gets at least 7 games for the day.

Then the top 4 pairs from each group then go into a final 8 playoff.

The same format is done with the singles event.

In Adelaide, for many years now we have been suffering from lack of interest in tournaments. The weaker players just dont like going in an event that they have no chance of winning.

Back to top Go down
habanerojooz

PostSubject: Re: playing in tournaments   playing in tournaments EmptyThu Dec 27, 2012 1:20 am

Knickers wrote:
Merry Christmas everyone and all the best in the new year!!!

I was thinking that as I am watching the world dart championships, I wonder what it it like to play in a big tournament? I've only played in fun events which were all mixed team type formats so I have no experience with a large field of shooters. I would love to hear stories/feedback on playing at big events, including any interesting things that happened going to or from the venue and also what it is like behind the scenes.
Behind the scenes, it's very cordial. When not practicing, players sit around at tables and talk. Most of the darters are a happy bunch of people, with lots of laughter and cutting up. Most are having a few drinks. For some, it may not seem like it, but they are pacing themselves with the drinks. They've been playing long enough to know what pace is right for them. I don't drink much and I'm amazed at the volume that some people can handle. Most are drinking beers. When it comes to alcohol, I've noticed that many of the Europeans tend to favor vodka. Vodka is also clear and it can be poured into an empty water bottle. They're not drinking it straight from the bottle. The bottle allows them to carry it around without much attention. Notice that in the PDC staged matches, a pitcher of water is supplied and no other drinks are allowed on that table.

Here in North America, we play what some overseas players would compare to floor events. Lots of players, lots of boards, and a lot of waiting for your match to be called. It is difficult to prepare for your match because you don't know when your match will be called or which board you will play on. You practice to stay warm, then you sit down for awhile. You might get called soon, or you might not get called for over an hour, and sometimes more. You never know when or where you are going to play. So you get up again to practice a little more to stay warm, then you sit again. You don't want to over practice or practice with improper focus. During this time, you're probably drinking and cutting up with friends, and hopefully, pacing yourself. All of this makes it difficult to be at your peak when it is time to play. If your match is a short format like 99% of the US events (best of 3 legs), then you have zero time to get into your rhythm and groove. You must start out fast or you will lose that crucial 1st leg.

A floor event overseas is slightly different as they play in groups, on a specific board, at specific times. You know who is playing ahead of you and you know which board you're on and you have very good idea of when your match begins. This enables you to warm up at the right time and go into your match better prepared. Plus, they're playing longer format matches with assigned chalkers. Some may wonder why the US tournaments aren't run in this way. I'll save that discussion for another thread.

Back to top Go down
Taffy

Taffy

PostSubject: Re: playing in tournaments   playing in tournaments EmptyThu Dec 27, 2012 2:35 am

Hey habanerojooz, you get a +1 from me for that most informative post! I really enjojed it!!!
Back to top Go down
Nucky

Nucky

PostSubject: Re: playing in tournaments   playing in tournaments EmptyThu Dec 27, 2012 7:33 am

Plus one from me as well - I appreciate the viewpoint you gave, very well written and informative. It's great to hear what goes on behind the scenes.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: playing in tournaments   playing in tournaments Empty

Back to top Go down

playing in tournaments

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1