We have moved to www.dartsnutz.net
Darts Nutz forum has now moved to www.dartsnutz.net please register on that site instead.

Thanks!

Darts Nutz forum has now moved to www.dartsnutz.net please register on that site instead.

Thanks!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Re-register a new account there please

HomeLatest imagesLearning your outs LPRegisterLog in

Photobucket

map1
Display Pagerank

Learning your outs

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Saber

Saber

Learning your outs Empty
PostSubject: Learning your outs   Learning your outs EmptyThu Aug 30, 2012 2:50 am

Just want to ask all of you about this. I do need some work on this but am pretty decent. Just wondered if any of you have some special tips so I can sharpen me out knowledge.
Thanks in advance.
Back to top Go down

Learning your outs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Learning your outs   Learning your outs EmptyThu Aug 30, 2012 3:10 am

My best tip is to watch what the vast majority of PDC or BDo that play on tv do. I've said this before, but these pro's go the way they do for a reason. One of the big reasons they shoot at outs the way they do, is because they earn a living from darts. They want to WIN. And by winning they need to shoot at combinations that give them the absolute highest chances of winning.

Keep in mind, there are different scenario's that come into play. For example. You step to the board and have 92 left. Unfortunately you're playing Barney and he's sitting on 32. Waiting, about 4 feet behind you. What do you do? You HAVE to go bull with dart #1. A single will leave 67. Next dart you'll be going 17, praying for a treble. Although a single will leave you 50. 2 simple darts and you're at least looking at an out. A look. A chance.

Now let's say you are playing in your local league. You have that same 92 staring you in the face. Joe Blow is standing the same 4 feet behind you. But he's back on 212. What do you do? Well of course you're going to go the treble 20 route. And you'd be 100% correct doing so.

Knowing when to switch things up is the key to everything. Also, I hate hearing the sayings... "Oh, I'm comfortable going that way" or "I hate tops" and even "I can't hit on the left side of the board". Basically that screams, "I'm not really confident".
Screw all that. Go at your at outs like you SHOULD. If you want to get better and play at your best then pretend you are on stage and in a big match. If you just want to play decent and be a showboat in your local league, then do what's comfortable.
Back to top Go down
Saber

Saber

Learning your outs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Learning your outs   Learning your outs EmptyThu Aug 30, 2012 3:35 am

Thanks JD ! ya get a plus 1 from me pal.
Back to top Go down
Hatrick

Hatrick

Learning your outs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Learning your outs   Learning your outs EmptyThu Aug 30, 2012 3:44 am

Perfect advice JD!! That's exactly correct everything you said. I play every single game doesn't matter their ability level the same way and part of that is throwing at the "high percentage" combo's. I'm nowhere near perfect at knowing every single high % out but in the last 2 years I've studied the pro's out shots and set up shots and have learned a lot!! Sometimes I don't always know the reason they go for a certain # but when trying them myself it all eventually works out and something in my head clicks along the way telling me why they do a certain shot. Like Jd said you don't need to like a specific out to hit it, if it's the correct one then just go for it! It ticks me off to no end when I hear people say they dont like this out or that one... unless of course I'm playing against them then I love to hear it..lol

Hat hatrick
Back to top Go down

Learning your outs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Learning your outs   Learning your outs EmptyThu Aug 30, 2012 6:35 am

Speaking of outs.

95 is no fun for me. There's really no 1 special dart that will leave you something good. Although, don't get me wrong. 38 is a great leave if the other guy is sitting pretty on tops and your options are limited.
But still dislike leaving 95. Trip the 19 with the 1st dart and you're kinda forced to have a go at the d-19 if the other guy is waiting.

As of late I've been going 15's. Other then 20's I seem to be able to pick off the trip 15 at will. It's a very kind number for me. Trip 15 leaves me 50. A look above to the next segment, a single 10 leaves me tops.

Even a single 15 leaves me the the option of going tops, tops. Which I've been trying to incorporate into my game more an more since I started playing again in March. Just be cautious that you don't get excited and go high. A missed dart high from 80 could be costly.

Of course, there is always the pressure shot on 95 as well. If the other guy is on a simple 1 dart finish you're going to have to go at the bull. No other choice really. Pray for a bull, but a 25 leaves you looking good. Trip 20 or single 20 gives you 1 dart at an out. Make it count.
Back to top Go down
Lefty544

Lefty544

Learning your outs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Learning your outs   Learning your outs EmptyThu Aug 30, 2012 7:55 am

I've found that repetition is really the best tool for knowing outs. I also try to plan three different outs each time I'm off the line. That way if I miss my first shot for an out (which is usually the case Sad ) I can quickly recover and move to the next potential out
Back to top Go down

Learning your outs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Learning your outs   Learning your outs EmptyThu Aug 30, 2012 8:10 am

Another thing that isn't mentioned often is setting up an outshot early. Sure, we can talk about which way to go from 80, 92, etc... But how often do you think about your outs early in the game? If your sitting on 303 do you just keep plugging away on the 20's or try to set up the outshot? A nice 140 from 303 gives you zero chance of ending the game next turn. While a nice tidy 133 on the 19's gives you a chance. It might be a super slim chance, but at least it's a look.

For me, I would say the outshot comes into my mind right around the low 300's. The only bogey number to avoid is 305. And i do try to avoid it. 300, 301, 302, 303, 304 all very possible to set up an outshot even if you hit a single with the 1st dart. Same goes for 306-310. Just stay away from that 305 and you'll be good.
Back to top Go down
Lefty544

Lefty544

Learning your outs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Learning your outs   Learning your outs EmptyThu Aug 30, 2012 8:12 am

Winmau wrote:
Another thing that isn't mentioned often is setting up an outshot early. Sure, we can talk about which way to go from 80, 92, etc... But how often do you think about your outs early in the game? If your sitting on 303 do you just keep plugging away on the 20's or try to set up the outshot? A nice 140 from 303 gives you zero chance of ending the game next turn. While a nice tidy 133 on the 19's gives you a chance. It might be a super slim chance, but at least it's a look.

For me, I would say the outshot comes into my mind right around the low 300's. The only bogey number to avoid is 305. And i do try to avoid it. 300, 301, 302, 303, 304 all very possible to set up an outshot even if you hit a single with the 1st dart. Same goes for 306-310. Just stay away from that 305 and you'll be good.

I would definitely agree wit that for those of you that are that caliber of a player. I keep plugging away at 20s until I get under 200 darts throw
Back to top Go down
Big Gun

Big Gun

Learning your outs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Learning your outs   Learning your outs EmptyThu Aug 30, 2012 8:39 am

I practice my outs every day. 1 day I start at 40 and go to 80 another day start at 60 and go to 90 then 80 to 120 and so on. I also have to find more than 1 way of finishing that shot so 66 for example T10 D18 my preferred choice but an alternative is bull D8. I keep going on these finishes until I hit both. The more you practice them the more you remember them. Start with the lower ones and build up would be my advice. When you start playing at a higher level as Superleague and then County then Pro you will need to be thinking around the 300 mark about shots but as a pub player 170 to 210 would be where you start to think about shots out. Doing plenty of chalking also helps you with your shots as you will be thinking what the player needs to leave a shot.

Just make sure your practice routine includes around the board on doubles and trebles and then your finishes as I said and you will soon learn the best ways to go for shots as you will soon get favourite trebles as well as doubles. One tip though a shot at any double gives you the chance to win the game so bear that in mind rather than mess up a shot trying to go around the board to look like your going the proper way, then not getting a shot. I have seen that many times. It doesn't matter how you get there really pretty or not but no double no win.
Back to top Go down

Learning your outs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Learning your outs   Learning your outs EmptyThu Aug 30, 2012 8:55 am

A funny practice game I play that I've never mentioned before is called " Hey, give me an out" Basically if i see the gf walk by my dart room while I'm practicing I ask her, "Hey, give me an out" She will say the 1st number that pops into her head. I then have 3 turns to get the out. She knows enough to give me something realistic, usually under 130. She also knows I prefer numbers in the 80's to 100 range. But she's onto me lately. She's always giving me awful outs like "7" or "23". Some small odd number. It works though. Because more times then not, those are the hardest to hit.

Back to top Go down
Big Gun

Big Gun

Learning your outs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Learning your outs   Learning your outs EmptyThu Aug 30, 2012 9:05 am

A quality comment Winmau cos I do that too but my wife says I can't think of 1 now you've put me under pressure, I say just say any number then and it takes her about a minute to give me one it is so funny at times.

I also start at 60 and go up 3 numbers if I hit it to 63 for the next out or down 1 number to 59 if I miss it. That also gives you shots at numbers that you dont normally practice. keep a record of the number you get to then try to beat it the following practice session.
Every shot you hit up 3 every shot you miss down 1 if you get down to 40 then start again. On a different day go up 4 and down 2 to mix things up a bit.

Last edited by Big Gun on Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Lefty544

Lefty544

Learning your outs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Learning your outs   Learning your outs EmptyThu Aug 30, 2012 9:07 am

Winmau wrote:
A funny practice game I play that I've never mentioned before is called " Hey, give me an out" Basically if i see the gf walk by my dart room while I'm practicing I ask her, "Hey, give me an out" She will say the 1st number that pops into her head. I then have 3 turns to get the out. She knows enough to give me something realistic, usually under 130. She also knows I prefer numbers in the 80's to 100 range. But she's onto me lately. She's always giving me awful outs like "7" or "23". Some small odd number. It works though. Because more times then not, those are the hardest to hit.

Cheers Winmau. I do that myself. When mac and I get together to throw we will often come up with random numbers and work at taking them out and see how many tries it takes us
Back to top Go down

Learning your outs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Learning your outs   Learning your outs EmptyThu Aug 30, 2012 9:32 am

lol! I was wondering if I was the only one that did that.
Back to top Go down

Learning your outs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Learning your outs   Learning your outs EmptyThu Aug 30, 2012 3:23 pm

Winmau wrote:
Speaking of outs.

95 is no fun for me. There's really no 1 special dart that will leave you something good. Although, don't get me wrong. 38 is a great leave if the other guy is sitting pretty on tops and your options are limited.
But still dislike leaving 95. Trip the 19 with the 1st dart and you're kinda forced to have a go at the d-19 if the other guy is waiting.

As of late I've been going 15's. Other then 20's I seem to be able to pick off the trip 15 at will. It's a very kind number for me. Trip 15 leaves me 50. A look above to the next segment, a single 10 leaves me tops.

Even a single 15 leaves me the the option of going tops, tops. Which I've been trying to incorporate into my game more an more since I started playing again in March. Just be cautious that you don't get excited and go high. A missed dart high from 80 could be costly.

Of course, there is always the pressure shot on 95 as well. If the other guy is on a simple 1 dart finish you're going to have to go at the bull. No other choice really. Pray for a bull, but a 25 leaves you looking good. Trip 20 or single 20 gives you 1 dart at an out. Make it count.

I thought of this tonight during practice. Funny. Very 1st game vs N01 best of 9 level 8.

Good ole 95 check for an 18er.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Saber

Saber

Learning your outs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Learning your outs   Learning your outs EmptyFri Aug 31, 2012 10:38 am

Winmau wrote:

Ya got a smart one JD.
Back to top Go down
hamo

hamo

Learning your outs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Learning your outs   Learning your outs EmptyFri Aug 31, 2012 10:59 am

Winmau wrote:

i would do this with a few mates after warming up before a match...who ever is next in the queue has to hit what you call.............its suprising how many times 69 pop's into their heads. lol!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Learning your outs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Learning your outs   Learning your outs Empty

Back to top Go down

Learning your outs

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1