We have moved to www.dartsnutz.net
Darts Nutz forum has now moved to www.dartsnutz.net please register on that site instead.

Thanks!

Darts Nutz forum has now moved to www.dartsnutz.net please register on that site instead.

Thanks!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Re-register a new account there please

HomeLatest imagesWhy I dislike metal stems ! and prefer nylon  - Page 2 LPRegisterLog in

Photobucket

map1
Display Pagerank

Why I dislike metal stems ! and prefer nylon

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Saber

Saber

Why I dislike metal stems ! and prefer nylon  - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Why I dislike metal stems ! and prefer nylon    Why I dislike metal stems ! and prefer nylon  - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 24, 2012 12:29 pm

lion180 wrote:
i think there pretty good tbh
you would lol. To each his own. However you will find the majority of the pros go with NYLON
Back to top Go down
Saber

Saber

PostSubject: Re: Why I dislike metal stems ! and prefer nylon    Why I dislike metal stems ! and prefer nylon  - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 24, 2012 12:30 pm

Winmau wrote:
They blow.

Don't hold back lol on floor
Back to top Go down
getagrip

getagrip

PostSubject: Re: Why I dislike metal stems ! and prefer nylon    Why I dislike metal stems ! and prefer nylon  - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 24, 2012 7:09 pm

I have never liked them simply beacuse the tangs break easily and they are a nightmare to get your flights fitted.
Back to top Go down
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dazdart

PostSubject: Re: Why I dislike metal stems ! and prefer nylon    Why I dislike metal stems ! and prefer nylon  - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 24, 2012 8:17 pm

SilverSaber wrote:
lion180 wrote:
you would lol. To each his own. However you will find the majority of the pros go with NYLON

alright saber calm down mate lmao

pros who use them umm taylor , dolan , jenkins , whitlock , anderson has dabled , barney (sometimes) , gilding , scott mitchell

loades in the bdo and a lot on the open comp scence. i aggree a lot of pros use nylon but its down to personal choice wouldnt say there

crap though use o rings and there a lot better
Back to top Go down
Stuart180

Stuart180

PostSubject: Re: Why I dislike metal stems ! and prefer nylon    Why I dislike metal stems ! and prefer nylon  - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 24, 2012 8:32 pm

I used to use aluminium stems years ago but the cost was getting a bit silly, I was paying nearly £2 a set, and on a practice day I would normally destroy at least 3 stems (nothing more annoying than breaking a new stem !!)

I now use Nylon, was funny as I was thinking the other day that I have been using the same stems for nearly 12 months now without a single break, I even checked they were still straight and they are fine.
Not bad for 10 sets for a couple of pounds.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why I dislike metal stems ! and prefer nylon    Why I dislike metal stems ! and prefer nylon  - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 24, 2012 8:43 pm

i agree stuart but some people prefer them i got 10 sets of the aluiminum for about 3 quid the other day on ebay if you can cut the cost that way its not to bad
Back to top Go down
Stuart180

Stuart180

PostSubject: Re: Why I dislike metal stems ! and prefer nylon    Why I dislike metal stems ! and prefer nylon  - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 24, 2012 9:38 pm

Yep, each to their own, I did actually like them, just annoyed me greatly when they would break after 1 throw (at least I was grouping the darts well ....... in the 1's lol)

Back to top Go down
Saber

Saber

PostSubject: Re: Why I dislike metal stems ! and prefer nylon    Why I dislike metal stems ! and prefer nylon  - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 25, 2012 4:48 am

they bend, they break, O rings blah,blah blah. but if ya like them ya like them so use them. Like me said to each his own.

Last edited by SilverSaber on Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why I dislike metal stems ! and prefer nylon    Why I dislike metal stems ! and prefer nylon  - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 25, 2012 5:20 am

cry laugh cry laugh
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why I dislike metal stems ! and prefer nylon    Why I dislike metal stems ! and prefer nylon  - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 25, 2012 5:44 am

SilverSaber wrote:
they bend, they break, O rings blah,blah blah. but if ya like them ya like them so use them. Like me said to each their own.

calm down saber
Back to top Go down
Saber

Saber

PostSubject: Re: Why I dislike metal stems ! and prefer nylon    Why I dislike metal stems ! and prefer nylon  - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 25, 2012 5:52 am

Winmau wrote:

cry laugh cry laugh

hahaha JD you da man.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why I dislike metal stems ! and prefer nylon    Why I dislike metal stems ! and prefer nylon  - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 25, 2012 5:56 am

steve beaton , ted hankey both won a world champ with aluminium stems
Back to top Go down
TheFox180

PostSubject: Re: Why I dislike metal stems ! and prefer nylon    Why I dislike metal stems ! and prefer nylon  - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 25, 2012 6:54 am

lion180 wrote:
SilverSaber wrote:
lion180 wrote:

pros who use them umm taylor , dolan , jenkins , whitlock , anderson has dabled , barney (sometimes) , gilding , scott mitchell

loades in the bdo and a lot on the open comp scence. i aggree a lot of pros use nylon but its down to personal choice wouldnt say there

Taylor use's slik sticks.... lol
Back to top Go down
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
getagrip

getagrip

PostSubject: Re: Why I dislike metal stems ! and prefer nylon    Why I dislike metal stems ! and prefer nylon  - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 25, 2012 8:13 am

You vandal JD!

You destroyed that A-loo-me-num shaft lol!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why I dislike metal stems ! and prefer nylon    Why I dislike metal stems ! and prefer nylon  - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 25, 2012 8:17 am

Thefox180 wrote:
lion180 wrote:
SilverSaber wrote:
lion180 wrote:

Taylor use's slik sticks.... lol

sorry bud should of put he did use them for about 14 of his world titles
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why I dislike metal stems ! and prefer nylon    Why I dislike metal stems ! and prefer nylon  - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 25, 2012 8:20 am

getagrip wrote:
You vandal JD!

I forgot. I'm going to start saying al-you-min-e-um.

And then I'll start calling my shafts, stems.

cry laugh
Back to top Go down
Saber

Saber

PostSubject: Re: Why I dislike metal stems ! and prefer nylon    Why I dislike metal stems ! and prefer nylon  - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 25, 2012 3:41 pm

ok Lion just razing ya. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO aluuuuuumen-ummm wheres me hammer !
Back to top Go down
getagrip

getagrip

PostSubject: Re: Why I dislike metal stems ! and prefer nylon    Why I dislike metal stems ! and prefer nylon  - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 25, 2012 6:42 pm

Winmau wrote:
getagrip wrote:
You vandal JD!

I forgot. I'm going to start saying al-you-min-e-um.

And then I'll start calling my shafts, stems.

cry laugh

Thats right JD we will anglicise you yet! lol!
Back to top Go down
Saber

Saber

PostSubject: Re: Why I dislike metal stems ! and prefer nylon    Why I dislike metal stems ! and prefer nylon  - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 25, 2012 11:23 pm

Did I say that alummmmmeeenuuuum is well, not me choice?
Back to top Go down
Bigshow

Bigshow

PostSubject: Re: Why I dislike metal stems ! and prefer nylon    Why I dislike metal stems ! and prefer nylon  - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 26, 2012 2:11 am

Winmau wrote:

cry laugh cry laugh

Your not wise lol
Back to top Go down
Saber

Saber

PostSubject: Re: Why I dislike metal stems ! and prefer nylon    Why I dislike metal stems ! and prefer nylon  - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 15, 2012 1:41 am

Winmau wrote:

cry laugh cry laugh

Just had to bump this one lol , I agree btw. gotta have o rings, they bend and trying to put a flight back on is a nightmare with my eye sight. Noooooo,nooooo,nooooooo ! Evil or Very Mad

JD may I borrow your hammer lol on floor
Back to top Go down
getagrip

getagrip

PostSubject: Re: Why I dislike metal stems ! and prefer nylon    Why I dislike metal stems ! and prefer nylon  - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 15, 2012 4:52 am

Send me that shaft it may improve my aim! Smile
Back to top Go down
TheFox180

PostSubject: Re: Why I dislike metal stems ! and prefer nylon    Why I dislike metal stems ! and prefer nylon  - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 15, 2012 5:16 am

Id just like to add, they are a git to get flights in, tried putting some flights in a set the other night, slipped, put a whole in me hand Sad
Back to top Go down
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
jake8380

jake8380

PostSubject: Re: Why I dislike metal stems ! and prefer nylon    Why I dislike metal stems ! and prefer nylon  - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 15, 2012 5:45 am

I know it is a preference thing. I threw spider legs for years and years so while not quite aluminum it got on with them fine. Never had the issue of them jiggering up my flights while trying to insert them. They would split and come lose but held up okay.

When I first started playing, I had some Piranhas and they came with aluminum shafts. Not knowing a lot about the game or equipment I had always thought nylon etc.. were cheap looking and would break all the time.

Some years later I put some nylon shafts on and was surprised at how long they lasted. I'm now using Laro shafts and don't think I'll ever look back. They don't bend, break, or jigger up my flights while inserting them.

I always give a little chuckle when I see my friends fiddling with their aluminum shafts, trying to spread the prongs because they just wrecked a new flight, tightening them because they don't have an o-ring, or installing an o-ring, or fixing a prong from a robbin hood, and rolling on a flat surface to find where the bend is to try to straighten it out.

I just don't see any type of advantage or benefit with them.
Back to top Go down
jamie373

jamie373

PostSubject: Re: Why I dislike metal stems ! and prefer nylon    Why I dislike metal stems ! and prefer nylon  - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 15, 2012 5:52 am

"spider legs" ??? Shocked sorry i'm new here. good to hear that about the laro stems , i'm thinking of getting some wasn't sure if the price difference between them and deflectagrips was worth it. i'm guessing the plastic rings are probably best replaced with metal ones thou ??
Back to top Go down
jake8380

jake8380

PostSubject: Re: Why I dislike metal stems ! and prefer nylon    Why I dislike metal stems ! and prefer nylon  - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 15, 2012 6:02 am

jamie373 wrote:
"spider legs" ??? Shocked sorry i'm new here. good to hear that about the laro stems , i'm thinking of getting some wasn't sure if the price difference between them and deflectagrips was worth it. i'm guessing the plastic rings are probably best replaced with metal ones thou ??

Welcome jamie. Spider legs come with Black Widows but are a bit expensive and more fragile than aluminum or nylon:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I would say if you are playing steel tip then yes put on aluminum or titanium. The plastic ones while nearly weightless .05g, were designed for soft tip (which I use for both steel and soft). I have about 50+ hours on my Laro Silents and have had zero issues; again understanding I throw an 18g dart with soft tips. But with bounce outs etc.. they have held up fine.

With heaver steel tip darts I'm sure your mileage will vary, but for me they simply last and work.
Back to top Go down
Saber

Saber

PostSubject: Re: Why I dislike metal stems ! and prefer nylon    Why I dislike metal stems ! and prefer nylon  - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 15, 2012 7:18 am

jake8380 wrote:
I know it is a preference thing. I threw spider legs for years and years so while not quite aluminum it got on with them fine. Never had the issue of them jiggering up my flights while trying to insert them. They would split and come lose but held up okay.

When I first started playing, I had some Piranhas and they came with aluminum shafts. Not knowing a lot about the game or equipment I had always thought nylon etc.. were cheap looking and would break all the time.

Some years later I put some nylon shafts on and was surprised at how long they lasted. I'm now using Laro shafts and don't think I'll ever look back. They don't bend, break, or jigger up my flights while inserting them.

I always give a little chuckle when I see my friends fiddling with their aluminum shafts, trying to spread the prongs because they just wrecked a new flight, tightening them because they don't have an o-ring, or installing an o-ring, or fixing a prong from a robbin hood, and rolling on a flat surface to find where the bend is to try to straighten it out.

I just don't see any type of advantage or benefit with them.

giving ya a plus one for this one. Great post
Back to top Go down
getagrip

getagrip

PostSubject: Re: Why I dislike metal stems ! and prefer nylon    Why I dislike metal stems ! and prefer nylon  - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 15, 2012 8:34 am

They look similar to the Kwiz Titan stems, I had some of the Titans but never liked them.
Back to top Go down
jake8380

jake8380

PostSubject: Re: Why I dislike metal stems ! and prefer nylon    Why I dislike metal stems ! and prefer nylon  - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 15, 2012 9:06 am

SilverSaber wrote:

giving ya a plus one for this one. Great post

Thank you SilverSaber clink glasses
Back to top Go down
Jimbo21

Jimbo21

PostSubject: Re: Why I dislike metal stems ! and prefer nylon    Why I dislike metal stems ! and prefer nylon  - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 15, 2012 9:52 am

In the years that I have been playing darts, I have tried most types of stems.

I tried ally stems, kept robin hooding so went through them like no mans business.

Used the "Spider Legs" as well, didnt mind them, but they were a bit costly and I kept having to pick my flights up cos they popped out all the time.

I finally settled on the nylon stems as they were cheap, durable and felt as good as any of the others I had tried. One stipulation I have on nylon stems is, they must be the soft nylon material, not the hard plastic as they break to often for me from robin hooding.

Since I have been using the wizlock stem caps and punched flights, I have not had to replace a stem in 3 months. Its a good thing I bought 30 sets of stems 3 weeks before getting the wizlocks! lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Why I dislike metal stems ! and prefer nylon    Why I dislike metal stems ! and prefer nylon  - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Why I dislike metal stems ! and prefer nylon

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next