We have moved to www.dartsnutz.net
Darts Nutz forum has now moved to www.dartsnutz.net please register on that site instead.

Thanks!

Darts Nutz forum has now moved to www.dartsnutz.net please register on that site instead.

Thanks!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Re-register a new account there please

HomeLatest imagesHow much draw back do you have? LPRegisterLog in

Photobucket

map1
Display Pagerank

How much draw back do you have?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
getagrip

getagrip

How much draw back do you have? Empty
PostSubject: How much draw back do you have?   How much draw back do you have? EmptySun May 06, 2012 2:55 am

Just wondering what peoples drawback distance is, I see some players pull back past their ears and others who hardly seem to draw back at all yet still have a forceful throw, its something I am kind of struggling to get right at present, I have found when I draw back further I can generate a bit more force but seem to lose accuracy, then other times I seem to not have enough force to hit my target spot?

I tend to draw back and often hit my face with the back of the flight, but like I said if I draw past my ear I get a stronger smoother throw but lose the accuracy, think I need help!
Back to top Go down
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dazdart
mc1958

mc1958

PostSubject: Re: How much draw back do you have?   How much draw back do you have? EmptySun May 06, 2012 2:58 am

I draw back to my face - but I don't hit it lol. I certainly don't draw behind the ear
Back to top Go down
getagrip

getagrip

PostSubject: Re: How much draw back do you have?   How much draw back do you have? EmptySun May 06, 2012 3:03 am

mc1958 wrote:
I draw back to my face - but I don't hit it lol. I certainly don't draw behind the ear

LOL I have had lots of scrapes on my nose and top lip especially when using new flights, its like a paper cut, I guess its a crucial part of the throw though because I think it sets up the rhythm and helps the repetition, I think I must be doing something wrong, maybe I am jerking/snatching trying to increase the force of the throw unaturally.

Sometimes I get it moving smoothly and it feels like there is plenty of force but struggle to get the accuracy at the same time.
Back to top Go down
Rebel

Rebel

PostSubject: Re: How much draw back do you have?   How much draw back do you have? EmptySun May 06, 2012 3:06 am

Sounds like I have the same problem as Grip, if I just pull to my face I cant get the power to make the darts reach most of the time, or the swirl out of control (and I have hit myself in the face plenty of times too).
I pull back to my collar bone, usually hitting it with the back of the flight, but get a nice follow through doing it this way.
Back to top Go down
getagrip

getagrip

PostSubject: Re: How much draw back do you have?   How much draw back do you have? EmptySun May 06, 2012 3:11 am

Rebel wrote:
Sounds like I have the same problem as Grip, if I just pull to my face I cant get the power to make the darts reach most of the time, or the swirl out of control (and I have hit myself in the face plenty of times too).
I pull back to my collar bone, usually hitting it with the back of the flight, but get a nice follow through doing it this way.

Hmm sounds like almost a solution, I have an idea that I may try something similar but will try to angle the dart under my chin on the drawback and see what that does.

Or I may take up finger building, its like bodybuilding only with the fingers only lol! then I can just propel the darts with a flick of my fingers.
Back to top Go down
Rebel

Rebel

PostSubject: Re: How much draw back do you have?   How much draw back do you have? EmptySun May 06, 2012 3:23 am

lol!
Back to top Go down
Bo-Jangles

PostSubject: Re: How much draw back do you have?   How much draw back do you have? EmptySun May 06, 2012 4:36 am

getagrip wrote:
Rebel wrote:

Hmm sounds like almost a solution, I have an idea that I may try something similar but will try to angle the dart under my chin on the drawback and see what that does.

Or I may take up finger building, its like bodybuilding only with the fingers only lol! then I can just propel the darts with a flick of my fingers.

Interesting point, what is a flick or a flip.
Back to top Go down
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
Saber

Saber

PostSubject: Re: How much draw back do you have?   How much draw back do you have? EmptySun May 06, 2012 5:03 am

My draw back is verry short , I bring dart to about 4" from face then stroke it. I get me power when on from my wrist finger drive action. Lewis , Wade and even Simon have short draw backs but explodes with the wrist finger drive. Of course I wish I was as accurate. LOL
I see some players with very long draw backs in league, Their arm fully extended and draw back then throw from this action. To me the longer the draw back the more percentage of error. Thats just me thoughts though. This finger wrist drive is covered in the book "Darts beginning to end " page 84 in my book btw.
Back to top Go down
Goofy

Goofy

PostSubject: Re: How much draw back do you have?   How much draw back do you have? EmptySun May 06, 2012 5:49 am

My drawback is pretty much to right below my nose!
Back to top Go down
http://tehbasement.com/forum.php
getagrip

getagrip

PostSubject: Re: How much draw back do you have?   How much draw back do you have? EmptySun May 06, 2012 6:08 am

Bo-Jangles wrote:
getagrip wrote:
Rebel wrote:

Interesting point, what is a flick or a flip.

No idea with darts, not tried it, but I can flick my fingers like flicking a Subutteo figure.
Back to top Go down
ochejockey

PostSubject: Re: How much draw back do you have?   How much draw back do you have? EmptySun May 06, 2012 7:29 am

I bring the flight back under my right eye. I often graze the cheek. My draw back is a bit long, starting from about 3/4-4/5 extension. I always draw back along the line I'm going to go forward with.
Back to top Go down
Saber

Saber

PostSubject: Re: How much draw back do you have?   How much draw back do you have? EmptySun May 06, 2012 8:03 am

ochejockey wrote:
I bring the flight back under my right eye. I often graze the cheek. My draw back is a bit long, starting from about 3/4-4/5 extension. I always draw back along the line I'm going to go forward with.

Well it seems to work for you being one of the top shooters around bud.
Back to top Go down
Veni

Veni

PostSubject: Re: How much draw back do you have?   How much draw back do you have? EmptySun May 06, 2012 10:18 am

I myself have a short drawback, then a loose launch of the darts Smile
Back to top Go down
USMC80

USMC80

PostSubject: Re: How much draw back do you have?   How much draw back do you have? EmptySun May 06, 2012 11:44 am

Glen one day I would like to see your throw via video or who knows, maybe in person!
Back to top Go down
Veni

Veni

PostSubject: Re: How much draw back do you have?   How much draw back do you have? EmptySun May 06, 2012 12:02 pm

Mac! I will try and get a video up someday soon, just need to get the energi to throw some darts against the board again Smile

But since my nerve injury my throw are completely wrong, if you listen to what Bo says, and see some players, but somehow I can still throw them right Smile
Back to top Go down
rumandcork

rumandcork

PostSubject: Re: How much draw back do you have?   How much draw back do you have? EmptySun May 06, 2012 12:02 pm

full draw here also.
Back to top Go down
Bo-Jangles

PostSubject: Re: How much draw back do you have?   How much draw back do you have? EmptySun May 06, 2012 9:06 pm

The flick and the draw back.
I was not being sardonic with my question of (Interesting point, what is a flick or a flip.) It is a very interesting point. I HAVE YET TO FIND A DESCRIPTION OF WHAT A FLICK IS IN ANY DICTIONARY OR THESAURUS! Most reference books refer to the term flick as (wait for it) a flick!
In darts, my interpretation of a flick is.
The manipulation of the hand wrist forearm and fingers so as the finger sections reach the release point in reverse order. I.e If we stretch our hand out towards the board and extend our fingers the nearest section (phalanx or bone between the joints) nearest to the board is the finger nail section. This section should be the last to reach the dart release point. You must also recognize that the fingers do not terminate at the knuckles but continue to the wrist!
As for the draw back and contrary to what was stated on this site you do not have to employ a draw back, on the other hand you can use a massive draw back. All you have to take into consideration is the shape of the outstretched arm. If you hadn't noticed it before, it is not straight!
Back to top Go down
getagrip

getagrip

PostSubject: Re: How much draw back do you have?   How much draw back do you have? EmptySun May 06, 2012 9:30 pm

Bo-Jangles wrote:
I was not being sardonic with my question of (Interesting point, what is a flick or a flip.) It is a very interesting point. I HAVE YET TO FIND A DESCRIPTION OF WHAT A FLICK IS IN ANY DICTIONARY OR THESAURUS! Most reference books refer to the term flick as (wait for it) a flick!
The manipulation of the hand wrist forearm and fingers so as the finger sections reach the release point in reverse order. I.e If we stretch our hand out towards the board and extend our fingers the nearest section (phalanx or bone between the joints) nearest to the board is the finger nail section. This section should be the last to reach the dart release point. You must also recognize that the fingers do not terminate at the knuckles but continue to the wrist!
As for the draw back and contrary to what was stated on this site you do not have to employ a draw back, on the other hand you can use a massive draw back. All you have to take into consideration is the shape of the outstretched arm. If you hadn't noticed it before, it is not straight!

Interesting point Bo, I know you were not being sardonic, but my original post about building up the fingers and just flicking the dart was a bit of a joke, not tried doing it, what I meant by that though was just keeping everything in the same spot and just giving a flick with the fingers, which I doubt would be possible unless you had some kind of freaky finger strength, it seems the wrist has to be employed in some part of that action.

I think I understand that the drawback can be short, my issue is trying to be consistent with the force generated when moving forward with the dart, maybe I am not getting enough finger/wrist power or not extending my arm, I dont really know, guess I will have to video myself and try to spot whats happening.

But when I have a long drawback there is always sufficient force but the accuracy is off.
Back to top Go down
Bo-Jangles

PostSubject: Re: How much draw back do you have?   How much draw back do you have? EmptySun May 06, 2012 10:11 pm

getagrip wrote:
Bo-Jangles wrote:

Interesting point Bo, I know you were not being sardonic, but my original post about building up the fingers and just flicking the dart was a bit of a joke, not tried doing it, what I meant by that though was just keeping everything in the same spot and just giving a flick with the fingers, which I doubt would be possible unless you had some kind of freaky finger strength, it seems the wrist has to be employed in some part of that action.

I think I understand that the drawback can be short, my issue is trying to be consistent with the force generated when moving forward with the dart, maybe I am not getting enough finger/wrist power or not extending my arm, I dont really know, guess I will have to video myself and try to spot whats happening.

But when I have a long drawback there is always sufficient force but the accuracy is off.

I understand your point and it is what most players misunderstand about darts. to produce velocity and therefore decent penetration you don't have to use force or effort.what is needed rhythm and technique plus the understanding of how a dart is actually thrown. I haven't got the calculations with me now but |I believe a dart from a dart player (normal stance ) was gauged at about 40 PSI. Mine I believe is about 120 PSI
Due entirely to technique and rhythm. There is nothing that I can do that other players cant emulate.
Back to top Go down
getagrip

getagrip

PostSubject: Re: How much draw back do you have?   How much draw back do you have? EmptySun May 06, 2012 10:33 pm

Bo-Jangles wrote:
getagrip wrote:
Bo-Jangles wrote:

I understand your point and it is what most players misunderstand about darts. to produce velocity and therefore decent penetration you don't have to use force or effort.what is needed rhythm and technique plus the understanding of how a dart is actually thrown. I haven't got the calculations with me now but |I believe a dart from a dart player (normal stance ) was gauged at about 40 PSI. Mine I believe is about 120 PSI
Due entirely to technique and rhythm. There is nothing that I can do that other players cant emulate.

Makes sense, guess I need to just keep working on my rhythm then Smile
Back to top Go down
dvsdog

dvsdog

PostSubject: Re: How much draw back do you have?   How much draw back do you have? EmptySun Jun 03, 2012 10:29 pm

I read that the flick of the fingers at point of release and into the follow thru is akin to flicking water or other substance off and at an intended target. Like your m8's face. Made sense in the visual concept and works for me in keeping from turning my wrist or rolling my forearm in the follow thru.

As to draw back I found it was longer for me the lighter the dart and as Larry said more margin for going astray. I also found it required more of a looping toss to generate that power and in order to be consistent with it, and somewhat accurate, I practised George's grouping exercises, starting off with 3 in the fat. That developed muscle memory & a degree of confidence in the toss.

Like yourself Grip, I have several health concerns that affect my throw with the most problematic being nerve damage in the hand which makes "feeling" the dart in my grip diminished the slimmer the dart. I moved to a heavier and more agressive gripped dart which helps and also permittted me to throw more directly at the target and with a more fluid, calm toss. The drawback is abbreviated and I don't clip my glasses as much lol as with the lighter dart I was like you, drawing the flight to about the ear.

Back to top Go down
getagrip

getagrip

PostSubject: Re: How much draw back do you have?   How much draw back do you have? EmptySun Jun 03, 2012 11:49 pm

I am finding the slightly longer drawback to my right side is causing less strain on my wrist, whatever I was doing before must have been causing the wrist to hurt, also sometimes my darts would seem to release jerkily so I maybe was tensing too much in the arm, fingers or wrist?

Hopefully if I keep practising with the throw I have now I will get more accurate and if the wrist stays pain free I will be able to practice a bit longer.
Back to top Go down
dvsdog

dvsdog

PostSubject: Re: How much draw back do you have?   How much draw back do you have? EmptyMon Jun 04, 2012 1:06 am

Haha, gave ya a reply in the other thread on this but as an add on as you likely know from your own medical therapys, many times you get referred pain and for me if I bring the arm or more accurately, my elbow, in to be 90 degrees straight up, then I get pain in my shoulder that refers into my hand. Ah, the wonders of the human body and our nervous systems lol.
Back to top Go down
getagrip

getagrip

PostSubject: Re: How much draw back do you have?   How much draw back do you have? EmptyMon Jun 04, 2012 1:22 am

Think I will just learn to play left handed! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Donkey

Donkey

PostSubject: Re: How much draw back do you have?   How much draw back do you have? EmptyMon Jun 04, 2012 8:49 am

I also struggle sometimes with my drawback..

It feels like I dont have the "power" in my throw.. But when it feels right you know it and just try to remember that part:)

Back to top Go down
getagrip

getagrip

PostSubject: Re: How much draw back do you have?   How much draw back do you have? EmptyMon Jun 04, 2012 7:32 pm

Donkey wrote:
I also struggle sometimes with my drawback..

It feels like I dont have the "power" in my throw.. But when it feels right you know it and just try to remember that part:)

Thats how it is for me sometimes, if I aim say at the T20 a good throw will be near but one where I feel the power in the throw is flat will drop way short.

This past week while using a longer drawback I have not encountered that problem once, just need to work on accuracy now.

Back to top Go down
Lefty544

Lefty544

PostSubject: Re: How much draw back do you have?   How much draw back do you have? EmptyTue Jun 05, 2012 1:34 am

Part of what is preventing me from moving forward is that I am constantly adjusting my draw, how I aim, and my follow through. I will find something that feels comfortable but I am having difficulty repeating. Like you grip, I have found that a greater draw back provides me with more power but the shorter draw goes towards my intended target better but then I end up with cork screw darts at times because I think I am over trying to force the dart and therefore causing a jerky throw. I am hopeful that through just constantly practicing I will lock into a throw that feels very natural. From there I can work on improving my accuracy.
Back to top Go down
dvsdog

dvsdog

PostSubject: Re: How much draw back do you have?   How much draw back do you have? EmptyTue Jun 05, 2012 7:01 am

Don't know if this will be useful or even applies to ya Grip, Lefty, but from trying to help members in my league I noticed that when having them try a longer draw they would lift their elbow and have greater success once they learned to keep the elbow still/level after the draw.

By success, I mean they had more power and the dart didn't land low of the intended target. Once they understood the relationship of keeping the elbow up I could then have them abbreviate the draw and work on their release point for aim.

Just food for thought.
Back to top Go down
Lefty544

Lefty544

PostSubject: Re: How much draw back do you have?   How much draw back do you have? EmptyTue Jun 05, 2012 7:10 am

I will keep that in mind dvsdog, thank you. I have actually noticed that I'm letting my elbow drop while I am throwing and without paying too much attention to it happening, because then I really over think my throw, I have been trying to adjust my stance to prevent me from dropping my elbow during my follow through. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
getagrip

getagrip

PostSubject: Re: How much draw back do you have?   How much draw back do you have? EmptyTue Jun 05, 2012 8:28 am

Will have to check if I do that, think I may get the video camera out and record my throw too. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How much draw back do you have?   How much draw back do you have? Empty

Back to top Go down

How much draw back do you have?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1